As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Hosting for Educational Videos for a University

EncEnc A Fool with CompassionPronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
edited February 2018 in Help / Advice Forum
So my institution has been creating short videos (3-5 minutes) for internal marketing purposes and to put on some of our webcourses. Problem is, no one wants to host them. Not our web team. Not our library. Nobody. The website we have access to has shoddy server status at best (is down one in three loads currently) and probably would die under the strain of video streaming.

Is it possible to host on something like Youtube in a way that is 100% private unless you are looking at the upload? I don't really want folks stumbling onto it, as these aren't external marketing items, but do need them to be available in a reliable way. As an added bonus, it needs to be hosted in a way that isn't directly connected to me as an individual (so a unit specific account).

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Enc on

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    You can mark videos unlisted which essentially hides them unless someone knows the direct link.

I think vimeo does have password protected video service.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    DaenrisDaenris Registered User regular
    Yeah, we've used Youtube for something like this. Set up an account for the group creating the videos so it's not tied to any individual user and then uploaded them as unlisted and we can distribute direct links to those people who need to see the videos. It's not perfect, because obviously those people could potentially share those links with other people, but in our case that wasn't an issue, they're just not useful or interesting for anyone outside a small group of users of our tools so we didn't want them public.

• Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    You could reupload them periodically and break the old links, if that was a concern. Though that would be pretty annoying to deal with.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    We have run media servers here for at least a decade, if not two. I believe we are currently using Office 365 to host our Sakai-linked videos. If you want, I can put you in touch with our system admins for it, and they can go over what we looked into, what we did, and the hurdles we faced.

Whatever you do, don't forget about ADA concerns. That bit us for a long time as many educational videos aren't properly captioned or otherwise made more accessible.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Wistia is a service for this kind of thing, but its nowhere near free.

Dont certain types of videos play directly in Dropbox these days, or am I making that up? Wistia is the one I know can be embedded directly into pages, but have layers of privacy controll.

• Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    Thanks, all! Lots of great ideas here. Going to look into Youtube and Dropbox and go from there. I'll report back on success later.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    My buddy does this for his facility and they do YouTube, as it's helpful if you want to do external content as well

• Options
    BasarBasar IstanbulRegistered User regular
    It's not free but you can use AWS' S3 to host the videos, create a bucket policy, then pre-sign URLs so only those with the exact URL can view the videos.

i live in a country with a batshit crazy president and no, english is not my first language

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Iruka wrote: »
    Wistia is a service for this kind of thing, but its nowhere near free.

Dont certain types of videos play directly in Dropbox these days, or am I making that up? Wistia is the one I know can be embedded directly into pages, but have layers of privacy controll.

We use Wistia and really like it.

Company also using Office 365 along with Yammer, OneDrive, etc.