As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Board games] I choose poorly.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »
    Aether wrote: »
    Gloomhaven stuff.
    Doing scenario 2 tonight. I’m the Scoundrel. Party of 3. We mostly clear the first room in the first turn, so 2nd turn I kick in the door, run in, and promptly become invisible. The Cragheart follows and catches the Boss and a fair few minions in a dust tornado.

Turn three I attack with a Attack 4 card. This gets doubled because of my invisibility card, then because I activated my Goggles, I get advantage and draw a x2 card, that’s 16 damage, and to top it off I’ve used my poison dagger.

The Tinkerer follows up with a ink bomb, and HE draws a x2 card, killing the boss on turn 3, before he gets to act. The boss only managed to open 1 door.

So, thanks to some fantastic luck, we finished the 2nd scenario.

Back at Gloomhaven we finish donating 100gp, and get to do that envelope. I’m really enjoying this game.

How did you manage to donate 10 times in two scenarios? I mean just earning the amount of money required would be a problem in the first two scenarios but i think you can only donate once per scenario, so 4x2 = 8.

Maybe random scenarios? That’s the only way I can think it would work.

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I made a Gloomhaven thread since I want to discuss it and every time it comes up in this thread it kind of dominates the conversation. I feel like it deserves its own thread anyway.

• Options
    LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Gloomhaven stuff.
    Doing scenario 2 tonight. I’m the Scoundrel. Party of 3. We mostly clear the first room in the first turn, so 2nd turn I kick in the door, run in, and promptly become invisible. The Cragheart follows and catches the Boss and a fair few minions in a dust tornado.

Turn three I attack with a Attack 4 card. This gets doubled because of my invisibility card, then because I activated my Goggles, I get advantage and draw a x2 card, that’s 16 damage, and to top it off I’ve used my poison dagger.

The Tinkerer follows up with a ink bomb, and HE draws a x2 card, killing the boss on turn 3, before he gets to act. The boss only managed to open 1 door.

Back at Gloomhaven we finish donating 100gp, and get to do that envelope. I’m really enjoying this game.

How did you manage to donate 10 times in two scenarios? I mean just earning the amount of money required would be a problem in the first two scenarios but i think you can only donate once per scenario, so 4x2 = 8.

Maybe random scenarios? That’s the only way I can think it would work.

4 times before the first one, 4 times before the second one, and now they're done with that they can donate again. You'd have to skip buying some items with your starting cash, but it's doable.

Quick edit: actually, wait, with a party of 3 that is sort of impossible, yeah. One donation per character per scenario is the rule, and I'm not sure you actually can before random/casual ones.

LeumasWhite on
    QPPHj1J.jpg
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    I made a Gloomhaven thread since I want to discuss it and every time it comes up in this thread it kind of dominates the conversation. I feel like it deserves its own thread anyway.

thank fucking god

• Options
    Magic Pink wrote: »

thank fucking god

Just Josh is fine

• Options
    i calls 'em as i sees 'em

• Options
    AetherAether Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Gloomhaven stuff.

We didn't win the first time, but managed to get some money. When back to Gloomhaven, donated. Gloomhaven event that unlocked another scenario. Finished that one, donated. Went back to scenario 1, won, and got a random scenario. Went back to Gloomhaven, donated. Did random scenario, went back to Gloomhaven, donated. Went back for scenario 2, went back to Gloomhaven, donated. We wanted to see what was in the envelope.

One mistake we've been making though, was letting enemy summoned monsters drop coins. Which we have since learned doesn't happen. It would have been difficult to rectify, so we just rolled with it.

It's been a winding path to get to the end of scenario 2.

Aether on
  • Options
    AetherAether Registered User regular

We very had a similar situation play out with a boss fight in one of the later scenarios. No one does single-target damage like the Scoundrel.
    You are assuming that the scoundrel is actually doing damage instead of vaccumming up all the coins while the mindthief is doing all the damage.
    Why not both?

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Holy crap Clank! In! Space! managed to improve on the original in a ton of ways. I especially liked how hard it was to rush in, grab the cheap artifact, and rush out to let everyone else burn. Eliminating the "rocks fall, everyone dies" timer was especially nice.

Also played original Pandemic for the first time in ages last night. Between two Legacy variants and three spin-offs (Cure, Cthulhu, and Iberia) it was almost like learning it all over again...

• Options
    Hexplore It Valley of the Dead King should show next week and besides winning worst title ever I am excite.

Rise of Moloch shows up Tuesday, right after the day long board game day i have scheduled consarnit

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Hexplore It Valley of the Dead King should show next week and besides winning worst title ever I am excite.

Rise of Moloch shows up Tuesday, right after the day long board game day i have scheduled consarnit

Let us (or at least me) know if that first one's any good. I was on the fence about it and passed.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular

We very had a similar situation play out with a boss fight in one of the later scenarios. No one does single-target damage like the Scoundrel.
    You are assuming that the scoundrel is actually doing damage instead of vaccumming up all the coins while the mindthief is doing all the damage.
    Why not both?

Well the one in my group hasnt at least :)

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    Very sad that limited funds at present prevented me from backing uboot. It looked really awesome, although I do have slight qualms about glorifying the Wwii German army.

Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular

I haven't even gotten a play of Rising Sun in yet, and Rise of Moloch is coming already? Shit.

• Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    psyck0 wrote: »
    Very sad that limited funds at present prevented me from backing uboot. It looked really awesome, although I do have slight qualms about glorifying the Wwii German army.

Seems like a great one to wait for retail on there anyway

• Options
    DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
    edited February 2018

Hexplore it: The insert is exquisite. I hope the rest of the game is the same. I won't be able to get it to the table until next week :(

Dirtmuncher on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular

Hexplore it: The insert is exquisite. I hope the rest of the game is the same. I won't be able to get it to the table until next week :(

Again - would like to know if it's any good once you get it on the table. Was genuinely curious about that one.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    Uboot sounded neat but I was turned off by the App part of the game. I think games that use apps remind me too much of those old VHS games like Atmosfear or something.

• Options
    Hey Atmosfear was great

You shut your mouth

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Uboot sounded neat but I was turned off by the App part of the game. I think games that use apps remind me too much of those old VHS games like Atmosfear or something.

What made me specifically wary is that it was a phone app being made by wargaming grognards.

Don't get me wrong, I love me a good grognard, but, I don't generally associate them with being up to date with things like useable UIs, functionality, or tech trends in general.

Hopefully I'm wrong and it's great, but I'm willing to pay the extra cost at retail after other people have vouched for it.

• Options
    Hey Atmosfear was great

You shut your mouth

i still have my copy come over and play josh

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Hey Atmosfear was great

You shut your mouth

Josh, have you ever offended Magic Pink? Even just the tiniest of slights?

Because I'm pretty sure you're going to get Amontilladoed if you take this offer. Only instead of bricks and mortar, you'll be walled in by board games.

• Options
    Ketar wrote: »
    Hey Atmosfear was great

You shut your mouth

Because I'm pretty sure you're going to get Amontilladoed if you take this offer. Only instead of bricks and mortar, you'll be walled in by board games.

pshhh, only if he's sexy
    hey josh a/s/l?

• Options
    36/m/Hell

• Options
    36/m/Hell

holy cow just next door!

• Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    Ketar wrote: »
    Hey Atmosfear was great

You shut your mouth

I thrust a torch through the remaining aperture and let it fall within. There came forth in reply only a jingling of the dice. My heart grew sick on account of the dampness of the catacombs, because it's so bad for the cardboard. I hastened to make an end of my labour as yet another Kickstarter awaited my money.

• Options
    SaurfangSaurfang Registered User regular
    That was the 666th post in this thread

• Options
    jergarmarjergarmar hollow man crew goes pew pew pewRegistered User regular
    SU&SD reviewed Sidereal Confluence, which is this crazy 4-9 player, 2-3 hour, heavy economic euro slash negotiation game, combining explosive innovation with shockingly poor graphic design.

They should have just called it "Only At A Convention", because I can't imagine any other environment to play it in. But I'll absolutely be looking for it at my next con.

When I was a child, I had a fever...
    jswidget.php?username=jergarmar&numitems=7&text=none&images=small&show=hot10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    My BoardGameGeek profile
    Battle.net: TheGerm#1430 (Hearthstone, Destiny 2)
  • Options
    LykouraghLykouragh Registered User regular
    jergarmar wrote: »
    SU&SD reviewed Sidereal Confluence, which is this crazy 4-9 player, 2-3 hour, heavy economic euro slash negotiation game, combining explosive innovation with shockingly poor graphic design.

They should have just called it "Only At A Convention", because I can't imagine any other environment to play it in. But I'll absolutely be looking for it at my next con.

It's my game of the year and I've been playing it at game nights a lot. Works great 4-5 players and should be done in under 2 hours even with a teaching game. Also I've never in my life been more excited about cubes.

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    I’m still convinced Sidereal Confluence is actually just a meme and not a real game

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    DarricDarric Santa MonicaRegistered User regular
    It's a top 3 game of 2017 for me too.

It scales beautifully to all player counts, and because all play is simultaneous, it doesn't balloon in length either. It takes a HECK of a lot of table space, though.

• Options
    Darric wrote: »

It scales beautifully to all player counts, and because all play is simultaneous, it doesn't balloon in length either. It takes a HECK of a lot of table space, though.

Oh really?! Man, I had thought the sky was the limit, time wise. So tempting to have an 8-player game with this level of heft.

But ugh, did you see the pictures of peeling box tops? Wizkids, man.

jswidget.php?username=jergarmar&numitems=7&text=none&images=small&show=hot10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    My BoardGameGeek profile
  • Options
    Astaereth wrote: »
    I’m still convinced Sidereal Confluence is actually just a meme and not a real game

Seriously, it sounds like something straight out of The Cones of Dunshire.

My BoardGameGeek profile
  • Options
    Astaereth wrote: »

Seriously, it sounds like something straight out of The Cones of Dunshire.

Which apparently is a real thing now?

• Options
    DarricDarric Santa MonicaRegistered User regular

Oh really?! Man, I had thought the sky was the limit, time wise. So tempting to have an 8-player game with this level of heft.

Oh yeah, the production quality, everything from the components to graphic design is a mess. It's almost charming just because of its purity, but oof. That said, I just don't know any other games quite like it.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Did I ever tell you guys about the time we were playing Mysterium and listening to the official YouTube track for ambience

And about thirty seconds before we won, the track ended, and went automatically to the next random track, which was fucking Yakety Sax

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Did I ever tell you guys about the time we were playing Mysterium and listening to the official YouTube track for ambience

And about thirty seconds before we won, the track ended, and went automatically to the next random track, which was fucking Yakety Sax

Get some sadtrombone.com for everytime one of your investigators FUCKING MISSES THE MOST OBVIOUS HINTS OF OBVIOUS HINTS ARGHAGHGH

Aldo on
  • Options
    DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
    edited February 2018

Oh yeah, the production quality, everything from the components to graphic design is a mess. It's almost charming just because of its purity, but oof. That said, I just don't know any other games quite like it.

Yeah production quality is shit. I made a foam core insert with some trays for easier setup.

But some of the cubes aren't even cubes. They look more like molten cubes. Ow and if you get the game don't sort the space ships by race. They could have replaced all the spaceships with black cubes because they are all functionally the same.

Super great game! Can't wait to get it to the table again. But I also got to get hexplore it out.

Dirtmuncher on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    I'm thinking of trading away sidereal even though I love it, because no one I played it with at my game group liked it and it takes a lot of people to play so... Yea. Shelf toad city.

• Options
    Aldo wrote: »

Get some sadtrombone.com for everytime one of your investigators FUCKING MISSES THE MOST OBVIOUS HINTS OF OBVIOUS HINTS ARGHAGHGH

There’s a BOOK! Pick THE LIBRARY DAHHHH

This discussion has been closed.