As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Stand Up Comedy Thread

124»

• Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    Kyougu wrote: »
    I really love the Amazing Jonathan. Huge bummer to recently find out he's sick and apparently doesn't have much time left.

A comedian I have always had a soft spot, even if he's not a master of his craft or anything is George Lopez. His stuff is super relatable to me. Maybe cause there aren't many other Hispanic mainstream comedians?

Gabriel Iglesias?

Felipe Esparza?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    I think I listen to way more podcasts run by comedians than actual stand up comedy. Probably because they work on their specials for like a year, but make podcasts every week.

Ari Shaffir, Tom Segura and Hannibal Burress all have specials on Netflix that are worth watching. I like Ari Shaffir's podcast a lot.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Smurph wrote: »
    I think I listen to way more podcasts run by comedians than actual stand up comedy. Probably because they work on their specials for like a year, but make podcasts every week.

Ari Shaffir, Tom Segura and Hannibal Burress all have specials on Netflix that are worth watching. I like Ari Shaffir's podcast a lot.

Same - I'm hooked on Spontaneanation (Paul F. Tompkins), Put Your Hands Together (Cameron Esposito/Rhea Butcher), Treks & the City (Alice Wetterlund), How Did This Get Made (Paul Scheer/Jason Mantzoukas/June Diane Raphael), Baby Geniuses (Emily Heller), the Bechdel Cast (Jamie Loftus/Caitlin Durante), 2 Dope Queens (Jessica Williams/Phoebe Robinson) plus a handful of other ones from lesser known comics. Some of them are live performances, some are in studio, but either way having professionally funny people chat with each other just never gets old.

speaking of 2 Dope Queens, their HBO show has been delivering a fine visual version of the podcast; I'd never heard of Sheng Wang before the most recent episode, but his was the funniest set I've seen in a long time.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Sheng Wang is pretty great. Last I heard he was still writing for Fresh Off The Boat.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    New Chris rock was pretty good. Had a few clunkers but worth the watch for sure

• Options
    WimbleWimble Registered User regular
    I thought it was pretty interesting to see Chris expose himself and be pretty vulnerable at times on stage, but he also showed me that I'm not really interested in what he has to say anymore

I had some laughs so it wasn't a stinker or anything, but his "yeah I went there" style isn't hitting as hard as it used to

and goddamn he brings back a lot of the structure from his past specials. Maybe they're supposed to read as callbacks, but yeah I guess I was hoping to be more surprised

4SMZq.jpg
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    The last few years it's become apparent that older comedians tend to struggle to adapt as they age and are less immersed in current gen culture. Patton Oswalt has managed well, but his material is huuuuugely different from his younger stuff and much more inward-looking, and he's kind of the only one who's pulling it off so far. The worst was Louis C.K.'s 2017 standup. It fell so flat that I think I maybe chuckled a little at one line in the entire thing and that was it.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I thought Chris Rock's special was largely pretty good and his more vulnerable moments were great (if not very funny). He still has pretty regressive views on gender roles but eh. Oh and I didn't like the bullying bit, I thought it was real stupid.