As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Weightlifting/Strength Training

• Options
    HoA-playerHoA-player Registered User regular
    Somehow, at the end of last year, my gym snuck in a new room with two power cages! Deadlift platforms, adjustable safeties, new barbells (with working bearings), bumper plates, trap bars, everything you could want! The only thing I'll have to do outside is bench press and cardio.

What the hell? Why did no one tell me about it? I could have been working out in there the last month!

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    I tried to bench 405 yesterday. I did a really cool negative and then followed it up with a good isometric about an inch off the chest.

(That’s being positive about failure)

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    Mr. ButtonsMr. Buttons Registered User regular
    Awesome the positivity, that's a hell of a lot of weight to move

• Options
    Thanks! My recent bench max is 365 so I figured what the hell make a 40lb jump

• Options
    Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    New 4 rep PB on deadlifts with 185kg. My amrap sucked afterwards though.

c58yrqc48uto.jpeg

So I assume this is showing weight x reps. What is the reason for the different numbers of reps in each set? Why do you do 3 then 5 then 1 then 1 then 4? Or is there no reason and you just felt like it?

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Those are the warm-up sets. So you don't want to overdo it on those. It's more of a "do I feel loose enough and ready to go" with them than a hard rule. And it varies person to person.

• Options
    caligynefobcaligynefob DKRegistered User regular
    edited February 2018
    New 4 rep PB on deadlifts with 185kg. My amrap sucked afterwards though.

c58yrqc48uto.jpeg

So I assume this is showing weight x reps. What is the reason for the different numbers of reps in each set? Why do you do 3 then 5 then 1 then 1 then 4? Or is there no reason and you just felt like it?

So yeah, 60, 100, 140, 160 and 180kg were warm-up sets, where I just try to move the weight as aggressively as possible and getting some blood into the muscles - the weight equates to adding a 20kg plate on each side every set and then a "half-plate" for the last two heavy warm-ups.

After that I move into my work sets which were 5 sets of 4 @ 185kg (~80% of my 1 rep max). The last set of 7 is called a back down set which is basically because I felt like it (wanted to hit 12 reps for a new personal record, but alas)

caligynefob on
    PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • Options

I kinda hate you. A 4 plate bench is my white whale at the moment.

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    It's my first day back at the gym after about a week of being sick and this is already just the worst.

It's a little discouraging how quickly I turn back into the weakest boy after so short a time off.

• Options
    WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    hell yes, knee is getting mobility back and pain is way down. gonna get back to upper body lifts and work on lower body mobility

anyone got any good knee recovery exercises?

• Options
    Box squats helped me get back, along with stretching and rolling hamstrings and hips all the time. My knee was all muscle tightness related though

• Options

I kinda hate you. A 4 plate bench is my white whale at the moment.

Mine too, apparently! Also I weigh 270, so I am rolling heavy.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I'm annoyed at myself for never going for the 3 plate bench when I could maybe have managed it. I'll get there though.

• Options
    I hit my new PR for front squat singles. 275#, failed at it a couple months ago, but today felt good so I went for it.... With sleeves, and a belt, and wrist straps on the bar..... And chalk on my shoulders...
    But it worked, went down and came back up. Hitting that 315 this year actually feels reasonable.

• Options
    Training tools are there to help you get stronger, ain’t no reason to shun them

• Options
    Nah, hah, not shunning tools, no shame. It was going to be a successful lift and I was taking all the steps I could to make sure it was. If I could have figured out a way to macgyver a mini resistance band into the lift I probably would have done that too.

• Options
    GorkGork Registered User regular
    Speaking of, normally I drop my belt when I move onto pause squats after doing my main sets. Last night, since I was so low on sleep and overall pretty fatigued, I kept it on and had a muuuuuuch easier time focusing on firing my glutes out of the hole. Can anyone think of a reason I’m doing myself a disservice by wearing it during pause squats?

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    I guess, why are you doing the pause squats? I do them because pause squats are a great way to focus on keeping your torso upright and not collapsing and not letting your hips shoot up first and doing them beltless makes me honest. It's also a good way to get core work in, because I hate dedicated ab work and am lazy.

If focusing on your glutes (:winky:) is important then wearing a belt is probably fine?

Peen on
  • Options
    Peen wrote: »
    I guess, why are you doing the pause squats? I do them because pause squats are a great way to focus on keeping your torso upright and not collapsing and not letting your hips shoot up first and doing them beltless makes me honest. It's also a good way to get core work in, because I hate dedicated ab work and am lazy.

If focusing on your glutes (:winky:) is important then wearing a belt is probably fine?

All of those except for the ab work cuz I’m not lazy!

• Options
    There's a new powerlifting memes subreddit and it is pretty ok.

Vh0XYLF.jpg

• Options
    That’s about right!

Uhhhhhhh got stupid with deadlifts and belt and straps and ammonia and tacked on another 5kg to my max

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    This place is a goldmine

WNLUpsH.jpg

• Options
    Large friends, explain to me how as a 200lb man I can bang out sets of 12 bodyweight dips like whatever but I cannot rep out 200 lbs on the bench press the same way. This is a mildly frustrating thing.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    I just joined the big boy club!

TWO PLATES MUTHERTRUCKERS.

Yeah that's right, deadlift 2-2-5 a m-a-g-i-c 7 times.
    For a 185lb guy I know that's still barely competent, but hey, it's progress!

• Options
    SleepSleep Registered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    Large friends, explain to me how as a 200lb man I can bang out sets of 12 bodyweight dips like whatever but I cannot rep out 200 lbs on the bench press the same way. This is a mildly frustrating thing.

Different muscle usage?

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    yup, dips are going to hit your triceps hard along with your back, and bench should be mostly chest with some bicep assist.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    If you can’t bench over 700lbs what are you even doing in the gym?

That’s insane.

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    pish posh, the travel length of that bar is less than half it would have to go if I was benching* so that isn't really much of an accomplishment**.

*I can't even bench press my body weight
    **that is quite an accomplishment

• Options
    Such a huge man, such short arms. Truly a role model for us all.

F'real though, what a damn lift. He took a run at 723 and it just got stuck, but still unbelievable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KImoEeFPsZM

• Options
    Josh Bryant is coaching some insanely strong bench pressers:

Here’s James Strickland essentially close grip pressing 672lbs

PS4 - Mrfuzzyhat
  • Options
    Yeah between those two and Jeremy Hoornstra it's a little nuts. The form Strickland and Hoornstra use is really interesting, their hands are so damn close together.

• Options
    Gotta use the bulk to your advantage I guess.

Hit 100kg 2x3 on military press today. Then did back off of 10 at 80

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Another summary study on lack of sleep and it's effect on strength training:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/29422383/

Basically, you're fucked if you're doing 36 hour shifts. And if you're sleep sucks it's gonna have an impact on your gains.

• Options
    MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    Def. stalling on my bulk (just over 165 lbs) and my lifts (military press 100lbs x 3 today, which isn't even a personal best, but I've started counting my calories again and got up to 3k the last four days and counting, whee

Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    I'm hitting failures! 95lbs overhead press was just destroying me last night. Which is nice, because I was worried my form must be off, since I was starting to get close to failure on other stuff that's using bigger muscles.

But on the other hand the squats that felt like I was dying Monday felt pretty alright 5lbs heavier, so that seems to have been mostly just feeling shitty.

I do worry about my form though, I feel like my lower back is really hard to get straight on a barbell row and like I maybe am not 100% on the deadlift form. Probably I need to do a lot more stretching. And I need to find a mirror for the basement, I feel like it would be easier if I could just see what I look like from the side.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    Propping a phone up to record a set is generally better than trying to use a mirror. Staring at a mirror will fuck up your form anyways from having to bend your neck all weird, and I think it can diminish your proprioception

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    I hate lifting in front of a mirror

• Options
    I like deadlifting facing a mirror but not for form reasons. From the neck up, my skin color and eyes go straight to Red Skull.

I accept that I am a weird person.

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    Gork wrote: »
    I like deadlifting facing a mirror but not for form reasons. From the neck up, my skin color and eyes go straight to Red Skull.

I accept that I am a weird person.

This also happens to me, with some major scalp vein bulging to really complete the look

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    TUHOPha.jpg

This discussion has been closed.