As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Penny Arcade - Comic - Posers

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited February 2018 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Posers

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    That wood’s gonna be there awhile.

256562227_pUnoS-2100x20000.jpg

• poipoigirlpoipoigirl Registered User regular
    So will Tycho replace all his players with these things?

• OverkillengineOverkillengine Registered User regular
    Whoah Whoah Whoah! Let's not get into a rush to buy until we know whether or not if they were sanded with artisanal sandpaper made from volcanic sands, cruelty free glue, and reclaimed wood pulp! And also the finishing coat of oils derived from ethically sourced plants!

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Whoah Whoah Whoah! Let's not get into a rush to buy until we know whether or not if they were sanded with artisanal sandpaper made from volcanic sands, cruelty free glue, and reclaimed wood pulp! And also the finishing coat of oils derived from ethically sourced plants!

I mean, Wyrmwood is an actual company and as far as I've seen they don't use words like "cruelty free." They just make really nice wood gaming things. Expensive tho.

That is, I don't think the joke is "Wyrmwood is dumb and pretentious" but rather "Wyrmwood makes great game accessories, but you know what would be the ultimate game accessory?!" Cue punchline.

Joke now thoroughly killed. /bow

Cambiata on
    "If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I'll be your friend Tycho! We can talk about Manticores all day long, I don't mind.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • lionheartssjlionheartssj Bartertown Chief Merchant BartertownRegistered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    I'll be your friend Tycho! We can talk about Manticores all day long, I don't mind.

I'm down for extended discussions on Manticores and other mythical creatures.

• SadgasmSadgasm Deluded doodler A cold placeRegistered User regular
    Jesus, that guy in the first panel has a slapable face. His face is only for slapping.

• Jakk FrostJakk Frost Registered User regular
    They might get a lot more backers if they announced a planned husband/boyfriend edition too.

• El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Wyrmwood's stuff is legit. The price is still out-of-this-world, but I understand why it's as expensive as it is. I just wish it was a bit cheaper because I want it.

I get that part of the punchline here is also in the sales pitch with buzzy words like "heirloom-quality". It's one "artisinal" short of being able to charge another $1,000.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• NamrokNamrok Registered User regular
    Wyrmwood's stuff is legit. The price is still out-of-this-world, but I understand why it's as expensive as it is. I just wish it was a bit cheaper because I want it.

I get that part of the punchline here is also in the sales pitch with buzzy words like "heirloom-quality". It's one "artisinal" short of being able to charge another $1,000.

Yeah, I picked up a Wyrmwood dice vault for some metal dice I got as a gift. I actually picked it up at PAX South last year. It is seriously legit. The magnets they use to seal it are powerful, everything fits snugly, and it just looks amazing. Had lots of "ooo"s and "aaa"s when I showed up for another D&D session with it. Hell, I even thought the dice vault was reasonably priced.

Although something about the price tag on the kickstarter is rubbing me the wrong way, although I can't put my finger on why. When I really think about it, it seems reasonable. But my gut reaction is still "Oh hell no".

• Darth WaiterDarth Waiter Elrond Hubbard Mordor XenuRegistered User regular
    *click*

That's what did me in.

• kakitamikekakitamike OhioRegistered User regular
    Based off the cost of their other goods, wouldn't a wooden surrogate be like, between 750m and 1b dollars?

Cambiata wrote: »

I mean, Wyrmwood is an actual company and as far as I've seen they don't use words like "cruelty free." They just make really nice wood gaming things. Expensive tho.

That is, I don't think the joke is "Wyrmwood is dumb and pretentious" but rather "Wyrmwood makes great game accessories, but you know what would be the ultimate game accessory?!" Cue punchline.

Meh, I was more mocking the consumer tendency to throw way too much money at things with trendy marketing buzzwords by quipping this offering did not have enough of them yet.

• RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    I think Tycho's friends might be the Fake Geek type.

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular

Meh, I was more mocking the consumer tendency to throw way too much money at things with trendy marketing buzzwords by quipping this offering did not have enough of them yet.

I guess heirloom-quality does seem like a buzzword, but when it comes to items made of wood it at least makes sense if a little high-falutin'. I own several pieces of "heirloom-quality" furniture. They are all wood and heavy as shit compared to the other stuff. Something being made of 100% wood as opposed to particleboard or MDF does make a difference in how long you'll be able to own it and whether you'd be able to pass it down to your eventual grandchildren (who'll probably sell it the second they own it anyway).

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • dennisdennis aka bingley Registered User regular
    (who'll probably sell it the second they own it anyway).

And then three generations later when that style of furniture becomes trendy, a bunch of yuppies will pay an arm and a leg for it.

dennis wrote: »
    (who'll probably sell it the second they own it anyway).

And then three generations later when that style of furniture becomes trendy, a bunch of yuppies will pay an arm and a leg for it.

Yeah this is a problem I realized when I was younger and thinking about "I wonder if any of this stuff I own would eventually be an heirloom?" You have the period of time when the item is new, popular and still in use. Then you have a long stretch of time where nobody wants the thing and either you find a place to store it for 30+ yrs, usually longer, or you sell it cheap or trash it. And then it becomes the thing everyone wants and will pay a fortune for. If only I had held on to my shitty old walkman(s) I would have lived long enough to see them sell for a fortune due to Guardians of the Galaxy becoming popular, but who's going to hold on to and cart around a dead piece of electrical equipment through multiple moves?!

Wood items are easier to justify carting around, at least, since they remain useful for-basically-ever, but when it's furniture, if you move into a smaller house and you have to get rid of that show piece for space, you get rid of it for half what you paid for it or more. This is why things become heirlooms in the first place, few people actually hold on to things for very long.

• BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    When I see Wyrmwood stuff (I'm on their mailing list, even though I don't own anything from them), I'm always reminded of a vignette from Cryptonomicon about the "Grandma Furniture factory," which is basically about how there's always a smaller number of grandparents, thus a smaller pool of wooden Grandma Furniture, then there are extended family to inherit it, so there has to be somebody somewhere making half-ton dressers out of solid mahogany that become legendary heirlooms in fifty years or so.

Wyrmwood is up there in the "when I have more money than I know what to do with" dream zone. Big house with a dedicated gaming space -> gaming table with the lid -> fancy-ass gewgaws for the rest.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png

Thus my quip. Especially since portrayed advertiser in the joke was one flannel unit shy of full hipster. I actually like well made durable goods that I can plan on utilizing for a long time and get a good ROI out of. Just don't blow smoke up my ass and instead give me quantifiable indicators of said quality instead of trendy buzzwords to inflate prices.

• RiusRius Globex CEO Nobody ever says ItalyRegistered User regular
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    "hand-crafted hands" made me giggle.