As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Magic: the Gathering] Uguu~~ The Spiwit Dwagon

• KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    They did state in the Arena introduction that they want sealed/draft on there very quickly.

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular
    I haven't played MtG in years but Vampire Conquistadors might draw me back.

oh h*ck
  • hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    LSV is currently 2-1, 2-0 in Modern Cube with a Greater Gargadon, Murderous Redcap, Reveillark, Body Double infinite damage combo.

hippofant on
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    Haven't played Magic in like 5 years, but I got a random urge to, stopped by my gamestore on the way home and chatted with the owner, and he claims their Friday Night draft games are super chill and not crazy cutthroat, so it looks like I'm getting back in.

Apparently my old deck (Which made my friends stop playing with me because I had apparently gotten too into "bullshit unfair combos", and hence made me stop playing because if the friends who got me into it won't play with me, what's the point) is still even mostly Modern-legal, if I find something to replace Green Sun's Zenith. Gamestore Owner said he'd be happy to take a look at what I have and advise me on how to build given the past few years of meta whenever he has downtime. I can't wait to see how he curbstomps my deck and laughs about how my friends counldn't find any way to deal with it at the time. Also I bought 3 boosters on my way out just to reignite the Cardboard Crack High, and I got http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?name=Growing Rites of Itlimoc , which is pretty much a perfect fit into my 5 year old modern deck that relies on tons of cheap creatures and tokens and ramping up mana production. It's a sign.

I kinda want to dip my toes into Commander too, if I get a chance, it always sounded interesting and I've never tried it.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Raiden333 wrote: »
    Haven't played Magic in like 5 years, but I got a random urge to, stopped by my gamestore on the way home and chatted with the owner, and he claims their Friday Night draft games are super chill and not crazy cutthroat, so it looks like I'm getting back in.

Apparently my old deck (Which made my friends stop playing with me because I had apparently gotten too into "bullshit unfair combos", and hence made me stop playing because if the friends who got me into it won't play with me, what's the point) is still even mostly Modern-legal, if I find something to replace Green Sun's Zenith. Gamestore Owner said he'd be happy to take a look at what I have and advise me on how to build given the past few years of meta whenever he has downtime. I can't wait to see how he curbstomps my deck and laughs about how my friends counldn't find any way to deal with it at the time. Also I bought 3 boosters on my way out just to reignite the Cardboard Crack High, and I got http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?name=Growing Rites of Itlimoc , which is pretty much a perfect fit into my 5 year old modern deck that relies on tons of cheap creatures and tokens and ramping up mana production. It's a sign.

I kinda want to dip my toes into Commander too, if I get a chance, it always sounded interesting and I've never tried it.

Commander varies in how cutthroat people are with it. The precons are a really good starting point since they include a number of useful staples (Sol Ring, Command Tower). The commanders in the decks are solid as well and generally all have clear build-around-me type effects.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular

The yearly pre-cons they put out for Commander are amazingly solid decks and a great place to start should you feel the need to act on that urge.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
    edited October 2017
    Draft was really fun! In my first few picks I was able to grab 2 Charging Monstrosaurs and 2 Kinjalli's Caller, so I was like "Welp guess I'm doing red/white dinos". Ended up getting several more red dinos, a Sky Terror, some Raptor Companions, and fleshed out the rest of my curve with white vampires, since it seemed everyone else in my group was passing up on all the vampires.

And I won my first 2 rounds (2-1 each time)! BARELY lost my third one because I was trying to hurry the game up so I didn't miss my bus and I slightly miscalculated, letting my opponent swing on me for exactly my life total.

I think my favorite part of the games was in my first round, it was neck and neck, both me and my opponent were low and had a few decent creatures on the board, him way more than me. I had exactly enough mana on the board to be able to play a Charging Monstrosaur, but my opponent had enough blocking potential to kill it, and then I'd have nothing that could get past his creatures and he'd be able to kill me in 1-2 turns. So instead, I paid 2 mana to put down Cobbled Wings, leave 2 mana untapped, 2 cards left in my hand are a plains and the Monstrosaur. And then I swing in with 2 weak creatures that my opponent could VERY easily block and kill.

So obviously, he thinks, I've got some sort of combat trick instants in my pocket I'm trying to bait him into blocking for, and so he lets the damage go through, bringing him down to 4 health. Attacks on his turn with just enough that I HAVE to block some of it, and I do, sacrificing every single creature I had on the board except for the 2 I attacked with just to survive to my next turn.

Summon Monstrosaur. Lay down Plains. Attach this goddamn hang glider to my goddamn T-rex, and win the fucking game. YEAH!

Plus the actual process of drafting and figuring out your gameplan as you get the cards in real time was really fun, I almost want to start playing MTG Online just so I can do drafting more and get more practice.

edit: Oh, also, I dragged a friend with me for moral support who also hasn't played Magic in forever. He drafted a pretty decent deck, but still lost his first two rounds. But his 3rd opponent had to leave early, so he won that round by default. The store was out of Ixalan boosters so he got a booster from Hour of Devastation. And his rare was a card neither of us had ever seen before, a humble little chap known as The Scarab God. We both start reading it and it's like that scene from The Wire where an entire conversation is held with both people only using the word "Fuck." with various inflections. And then I look up how much the card is worth, and my friend is STOKED. But now he says he's not sure if he's going to stick with magic enough to keep it or sell it, and he offered to sell it to me at a discount since he wouldn't even have it if I hadn't dragged him along, so now I'm considering buying it and making a zombie commander deck.

Raiden333 on
    edited October 2017
    Spent my first New Player ticket to do a phantom draft event in Magic Online...
    JPb2bcE.jpg

I think this might go well for me.

edit: It did not go well for me

Raiden333 on
    There's a problem with this deck.

No removal or interaction, just critters.

ew9y0DD.png
    Kay wrote: »

Legion's Judgment, Slash of Talons, and Snapping Sailback are removal; River Herald's Boon can be interactive but not in a deck with 0 merfolk.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
    Vyolynce wrote: »

Legion's Judgment, Slash of Talons, and Snapping Sailback are removal; River Herald's Boon can be interactive but not in a deck with 0 merfolk.

Sailback isn't removal. Legions Judgment isn't reliable because this format has tons of 3-power threats, the black 3 or less is far better. Slash of Talons is a decent tempo option though, since 3/2 is common.

Sailback kills a ground attacker 3/4 or smaller and lives as a 5/5 (which will demand an answer from your opponent), or trades with a larger one that doesn't have 5+ toughness. If it's not removal you're doing it wrong. Is it perfect? No, but green removal rarely is.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif

Slash of Talons is worse than Impeccable Timing.

Legion's Judgment is a complete dead draw vs Merfolk, Vampires and Pirates.

Sailback is the closest to a removal spell in that deck. Basically, the deck lacks solid removal, and just has creatures. You kinda need removal, even if it's just a pacifism effect or two.

ew9y0DD.png
    edited October 2017
    Yeah, there weren't a whole lot of removal choices to pick from in White/Green in that draft, I kept looking for the fight cards, but thems the breaks.

Also, I'm assembling a Standard B/W Vampires deck because I love me some vampires. This run of vampires means a lot of vampire tokens. I like having fun with token cards.

edit: now with flavor text! Still brainstorming who else to add to the token pile, probably going to do the obvious ones next like Spike and Edward.

Raiden333 on
    Ok I think I'm officially hooked. Bought a couple boosters on my way home from work when I stopped in because I forgot to return my lands I borrowed during the FNM draft. In said packs, I got Hostage Taker and Revel In Riches. I'm not even done assembling my vampires deck and I'm already brainstorming a black/blue treasure/control deck after reading about some interesting interactions treasure tokens make possible.

I love the idea of having a Marionette Master just hanging out on the board, and a couple turns later, spending 5 treasures to cast something that takes my opponent by surprise. And the second it resolves that I was able to sacrifice the treasure tokens, I can just say "oh btw I just won. Those 5 treasure tokens dealt 20 damage to you when I cashed them in. GG." Revel in Riches itself seems like a great distraction card to make the opponent think of your treasures as less of a spendable resource and more of a victory tracker.

Ok I think I'm officially hooked. Bought a couple boosters on my way home from work when I stopped in because I forgot to return my lands I borrowed during the FNM draft. In said packs, I got Hostage Taker and Revel In Riches. I'm not even done assembling my vampires deck and I'm already brainstorming a black/blue treasure/control deck after reading about some interesting interactions treasure tokens make possible.

I love the idea of having a Marionette Master just hanging out on the board, and a couple turns later, spending 5 treasures to cast something that takes my opponent by surprise. And the second it resolves that I was able to sacrifice the treasure tokens, I can just say "oh btw I just won. Those 5 treasure tokens dealt 20 damage to you when I cashed them in. GG." Revel in Riches itself seems like a great distraction card to make the opponent think of your treasures as less of a spendable resource and more of a victory tracker.

Well congrats, Hostage Taker is currently the second most expensive card of the set.

And alternate win condition cards are always fun to build around, even if they're not always the most competitive.

• Zombie HeroZombie Hero Registered User regular
    I kinda of want to play Magic again so i can build a stupid explore deck. It looks like a super fun mechanic.

Steam
    Nintendo ID: Pastalonius
    Smite\LoL:Gremlidin \ WoW & Overwatch & Hots: Gremlidin#1734
    3ds: 3282-2248-0453
    I kinda of want to play Magic again so i can build a stupid explore deck. It looks like a super fun mechanic.

It is amazing in limited.

In constructed... it's fine? But most of the cards with it are decidedly mediocre. I like having access to Deadeye Tracker, though.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    Deadeye Tracker's the best Relic of Progenitus in standard.

ew9y0DD.png
    Got all my cards for my vampires deck today... And then I watched a YT vid on the merits of double-sleeving your decked cards just as a matter of precaution, so now I've ordered some Perfect Fits and I'm waiting because I don't want to resleeve this entire deck before Standard Night on Thursday.

I think I might stand a chance though. Even if it doesn't do as well as I hope at standard night, I think it's a really solid easy-to-learn-magic-with deck if I manage to get any friends interested in trying the game out, and will be a good baseline deck to test my treasure horde deck against.

Double-sleeving has always struck me as being overly cautious, especially for Standard decks that change so frequently. I understand it a bit more for Commander or older formats, where the cards are more valuable and don't rotate out.

My friend double-sleeved his peasant cube (filled with foils, tbf), which was an exercise in madness.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
  • WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    Is double-sleeving really a thing? I don't think I've ever seen someone do that. It seems excessive

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Is double-sleeving really a thing? I don't think I've ever seen someone do that. It seems excessive

I play exclusively with cards that have been double-sleeved and then frozen in transparent carbonite encased in gorilla glass. It's really the only way to preserve them forever.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

I like to keep my things nice!

Auralynx wrote: »

I play exclusively with cards that have been double-sleeved and then frozen in transparent carbonite encased in gorilla glass. It's really the only way to preserve them forever.

Oh. Crud. You forgot the inert medium inside the sleeves.

• Lord PalingtonLord Palington he.him.his History-loving pal!Registered User regular
    I judge sleeves pretty much 100% on how they feel when shuffling. Double sleeved decks (at least my commander ones) feel much better when shuffling.

SrUxdlb.jpg
    The best shufflefeel I've experienced has been Ultra-Pro Eclipse.

Given that KMC hypermattes changed and are now really variable in quality, I think they're my go-to sleeves now. Really nice colours available, too.

Dragonshields are acceptable, but I've had matte white dragonshields that you could barely fit a naked card into. They replaced them immediately (It was at a GP), but still. Weird.

ew9y0DD.png
    I've always tended to love Dragonshield sleeves. I have a bunch of ultra pro ones now since they are super cheap at a local Walmart for certain things but I always go Drago for when I'm actually play something

The only ultra-pro sleeves that are good are the Eclipse sleeves. All other ultra-pro sleeves are cheap and flimsy.

ew9y0DD.png
  • Dr. FlamingoDr. Flamingo 49 Gilded Disc Perceives the Sun Registered User regular
    My friend double-sleeved his peasant cube (filled with foils, tbf), which was an exercise in madness.

Foils in particular benefit from double sleeving since it can slow down the curling process, so this isn't _too_ outrageous.

The only ultra-pro sleeves that are good are the Eclipse sleeves. All other ultra-pro sleeves are cheap and flimsy.

oh these definitely are. i remember way back when ultra pro was decent. now they are just for bulk sleeving stuff

• Dr. FlamingoDr. Flamingo 49 Gilded Disc Perceives the Sun Registered User regular
    I've been on Matte Dragonshields for awhile since I've been playing a lot of commander, but I've been meaning to try out the Eclipse sleeves for awhile. I may get some for my Modern deck which desperately needs new sleeves. Especially since I switch out a lot of cards and Dragonshields + Perfect Fits = frustration. The only problem is finding some in a color I like. The blue is nice but doesn't go with Abzan colors... Maybe the magenta?

• TurksonTurkson Near the mountains of ColoradoRegistered User regular
    Latest Banned and Restricted announcement:
    https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/news/january-15-2018-banned-and-restricted-announcement-2018-01-15

tl:dr
    Attune with Aether
    Rogue Refiner
    Rampaging Ferocidon
    Ramunap Ruins

All banned effectively Jan 19th.

oh h*ck
    Also Core 2019 release moved up a week, adjusting schedule for basically everything near it.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
  • PookiepooPookiepoo Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Dudes! What is going on with Commander 2016 prices?? I bought Commander 2015 and Commander 2016 together for $295 a few weeks ago from a guy on craigslist and now I feel like I robbed the man. From Amazon:

Breed Lethality- 229
    Entropic Uprising - 130
    Open Hostility- 85
    Stalwart Unity- 80
    Invent Superiority- 99

What caused such a dramatic spike??

Pookiepoo on
    Steam: Pookie GG Now Playing: BattleTech, Divinity Original Sin 2, MechWarrior 5
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    they were dramatically underprinted for whatever reason that year and The atraxa deck was wildly popular

• The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    Atraxa is a straight up busted commander, is the thing

It also has other great cards exclusive to that deck

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
    Atraxa's fine as long as you don't build Superfriends with it. Which everyone did.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
  • Mace1370Mace1370 Registered User regular
    Anyone on here play vintage on MTGO? Looking for some buddies to play test various decks!

edited March 2018
    I can already hear the backlash against the Saga card design in my head, but I think they look cool:

en_J02xnuLOLU.png

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif