As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Windows phones are awful. Mine especially...

Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
edited February 2018 in Help / Advice Forum
I have a Lumia 640, and I hate it to bits. I thought it would be fun to go Windows over iPhone when I upgraded last year. It's not fun...

Anyway, I'm suddenly getting an error that my yahoo email password is incorrect on my phone. I can access my account just fine through browser, but trying through the phone just keeps bringing up that error. I searched the problem online and tried the recommendation of deleting yahoo from my phone and re-entering the info. That didn't work...

Thought maybe I'd try here to see if anyone has any knowledge or experience with this issue that could give me any ideas.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
Skull2185 on

• Options
    AresProphetAresProphet Registered User regular
    This is happening across every phone platform. I have multiple customers a week with this issue.

I have only circumstantial evidence to confirm this but it appears that Yahoo and certain other webmail providers are blocking POP/IMAP on mobile OSes to force users to use their app. The endgame here: in the app they can serve you ads at the top of your inbox and monetize email.

In the case of Yahoo and AOL this has evidently gone unannounced. In the case of Hotmail/MSN/live.com/outlook.com you get an Action Required email on iOS as the sole item in your inbox telling you to download the app when you try to enable the default Mail app. There's a tiny link to enable that instead under the giant link to the Outlook Mail app on the app store.

That Microsoft does things this way is compelling evidence that other providers are being more sneaky about it.

ex9pxyqoxf6e.png
  • Options
    BlindZenDriverBlindZenDriver Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    I have a Lumia 640, and I hate it to bits. I thought it would be fun to go Windows over iPhone when I upgraded last year. It's not fun...

I made the switch from Windows Phone to Android just last week after a five+ years run with the Windows Phone platform. Doing so isn't loads of fun either and I especially miss the automatic integration with my PC, plus having to re-learn lots of little details on how to do things + I also miss a few favorite apps.

The thing is that you arrived at a party after almost all people left and the free bar is closing!
    I didn't make the switch for any other reason than that, amazingly my 5+ years old Lumia 920 still works flawless it is just that with a must have payment/banking app having been closed down, no more security patches(the 920 is stuck with WP8.1) and no more on-line phone backup from Microsoft it was time. The LG V30+ I choose as the replacement checks lots of boxes, but I will be surprised if it holds up as well as the Lumia since 5+ years in the smartphone world has to be some sort of record :?

Be prepared to make another phone platform switch sooner rather than later.

Skull2185 wrote: »
    Anyway, I'm suddenly getting an error that my yahoo email password is incorrect on my phone. I can access my account just fine through browser, but trying through the phone just keeps bringing up that error. I searched the problem online and tried the recommendation of deleting yahoo from my phone and re-entering the info. That didn't work...

Thought maybe I'd try here to see if anyone has any knowledge or experience with this issue that could give me any ideas.

I have nothing on the e-mail issue you're having other than a general feeling that switching from Yahoo might be a good idea. A quick google search points to lots of issues.

Bones heal, glory is forever.
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Yahoo has some goofiness with all email clients. There's an option in Yahoo to generate an app password. Try using that instead.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    This is happening across every phone platform. I have multiple customers a week with this issue.

I have only circumstantial evidence to confirm this but it appears that Yahoo and certain other webmail providers are blocking POP/IMAP on mobile OSes to force users to use their app. The endgame here: in the app they can serve you ads at the top of your inbox and monetize email.

In the case of Yahoo and AOL this has evidently gone unannounced. In the case of Hotmail/MSN/live.com/outlook.com you get an Action Required email on iOS as the sole item in your inbox telling you to download the app when you try to enable the default Mail app. There's a tiny link to enable that instead under the giant link to the Outlook Mail app on the app store.

That Microsoft does things this way is compelling evidence that other providers are being more sneaky about it.

Well, that's some hot BS right there...

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.