As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[RUST] - If you build it, they will come. And then they will murder you. (New PA Server!)

• Options
    SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    I'm hopping on now.

Sceptre on
  • Options
    YallYall Registered User regular
    Damn - I just saw two n00bs getting trapped by the heli. Convinced them to follow me and got one shot, took his gun and shot the other. 600+ in scrap. Looks like we're getting workbench level 2 now.

• Options
    edited February 2018
    Where are you putting it? I've been working out of the base at i5/i6.

Edit: I just stumbled into RisenPhoenix/Dah's base with the research table.

Sceptre on
  • Options
    So watch out for "tablecloth" and "cameron2.0" or something like that. They must have a base close to the gas station/train yard, they don't like me very much and know where our larger base is located.

Also, be advised that "King" and "Vas[something]" are also paired up and will KoS to steal your scrap. They may also lure you into their jail, which is rife with homoerotic artwork. No, I'm not making that up. Also not judging by the way. Homoerotic artwork is just fine, but theirs is crude, without nuance and lacks taste.

• Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Yall wrote: »
    Oh snap, Big Dookie. I just raided you. Feel free to take what you need from the WANG bases.

Now I know I’m playing the right game!

But nah, s’cool dawg. I was actually telling Sceptre last night that I knew it was gonna get raided like immediately, it was mostly just a way to get back in the practice of things. I need to catch back up with the meta in this game. I remember all the strategy around trying to build the “unraidable” base at one point. Is that still a thing?

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    Oh snap, Big Dookie. I just raided you. Feel free to take what you need from the WANG bases.

Now I know I’m playing the right game!

But nah, s’cool dawg. I was actually telling Sceptre last night that I knew it was gonna get raided like immediately, it was mostly just a way to get back in the practice of things. I need to catch back up with the meta in this game. I remember all the strategy around trying to build the “unraidable” base at one point. Is that still a thing?

On this server, given the low pop, metal and big effectively = unraidable.

On bigger servers, I don't think unraidable exists in the truest sense anymore.

• Options
    Eventually you're going to get raided. Just something you have to get used to in Rust.

• Options
    You guys make any progress last night?

• Options
    Define “progress.”

I hatcheted a dude in the face because he wouldnt stop staring at my breasts.

And now I finally understand feminism.

That’s a kind of progress.

Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Yeah, that and making a few metal fragments counts as progress in my book.

• Options
    RisenPhoenixRisenPhoenix SUPER HOTRegistered User regular
    It looks like someone tried to take a go at the Gas Station base, the exterior metal doors were gone on the upstairs and the first door to the interior. Replaced those and went on a supply run earlier - I didn't realize it, but the 'Recycler' machines at the POIs are really really useful. Put the Road Signs, Metal Pipes, Springs, Gears etc into those and you get Shards, Scrap, and HQM back. I'll keep doing so for a while so that we have plenty available to shore up our defenses.

• Options
    Yeah, the base is toast. Whoever went at it stripped it bare.

I ended up doing some exploring and ended up in the southern part of the map. There's a little peninsula that sticks out with a mining town in the middle of it... I'm building my current base around Y5, on the backside of the cliffs right on the beach. If anyone wants to come join, we can make a little settlement.

Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    I put up a small two story base in the tall rock formation, near the bottom right of U18 (in the green splotch on the map). It's reasonably inconspicuous, but very close to the military tunnels, which have some good loot. Feel free to post up there as needed. Code lock is 6986 like the others.

• Options
    edited February 2018
    I'll see what I can get done, probably going to hop on for a bit tonight.

By the way, that score of 3/10 from Gamespot is so incredibly undeserved. This is a game with a lot of great experiences to offer.

I can confirm, our first base near the gas station has been raided. I'm holed up in the secondary fortress at the northwestern corner of H6, which has grown to be pretty sweet.

Sceptre on
  • Options
    I saw the note in the server last night that they’re doing a reset later this week.

That’s pretty deflating. I understood why it happened while still in early access, but I was really hoping we wouldn’t have to deal with that anymore now that the game was fully released. That immediately takes away my motivation for wanting to get back into this. Why are resets still a thing?

Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    I saw the note in the server last night that they’re doing a reset later this week.

That’s pretty deflating. I understood why it happened while still in early access, but I was really hoping we wouldn’t have to deal with that anymore now that the game was fully released. That immediately takes away my motivation for wanting to get back into this. Why are resets still a thing?

Yeah I agree but at the same time I feel like occasional resets need to happen but have to be balanced appropriately with the right tweaks to gathering and availability of resources and BP's. It's a fine line that server owners have to walk to encourage new players while at the same time rewarding people that have been regulars on their server.

• Options

Yeah I agree but at the same time I feel like occasional resets need to happen but have to be balanced appropriately with the right tweaks to gathering and availability of resources and BP's. It's a fine line that server owners have to walk to encourage new players while at the same time rewarding people that have been regulars on their server.

Right. I mean I sort of get it, but it's still tough to stay motivated when you know all your progress you've made is just going to get wiped out. Especially in this case where they JUST did a reset a couple of weeks ago. If the reset was every two or three months I think that would be an easier pill to swallow, because that gives you enough time to fully develop what you're doing and even get a little bored with it, so that when the reset comes you're excited to try something new. But here I feel like I've barely gotten started with my base and now I'm going to lose everything. Kinda just makes me want say fuck it and play something else where that doesn't happen.

I dunno. We'll see how far I get by Thursday and then find out how motivated I am this weekend to keep playing.

Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    I can rent a 50 slot dedicated server for 6 months for about 50 bucks. Is there any interest in getting our own pubic server?

• Options
    That_Guy wrote: »
    I can rent a 50 slot dedicated server for 6 months for about 50 bucks. Is there any interest in getting our own pubic server?

Not only interested, but I'd donate as well. Didn't you used to have a PayPal account when you ran the BF server back in the day?

• Options
    RisenPhoenixRisenPhoenix SUPER HOTRegistered User regular
    I also have zero problems tossing money into the pot for our own server.

• Options
    That_Guy wrote: »

Not only interested, but I'd donate as well. Didn't you used to have a PayPal account when you ran the BF server back in the day?

Yeah, I can still do PayPal if y'all are interested in kicking in some money. I'd like to have at least 5 people showing interest before I drop the hammer.

• Options
    I'd probably be willing to kick in five or ten bucks.

Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    You guys thinking Vanilla or modded? I feel like there's usually more people playing vanilla but I'm open to mod suggestions.

• Options
    I'm good for 10 bucks.

No immediate preference on mod v vanilla.

• Options
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Oh fuckit. I just went ahead and ordered the server. It'll take me a little while to get the server setup. I'll update when I have the info. If you wanna kick in a few bucks, here's the link

That_Guy on
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    And That_Guy with the triple post.

108.61.203.74:28076
    Rusty PA Community Server

Got the new server setup and online. Right now it's vanilla but I'm open to suggestions for mods. I built a server store in grid m7

That_Guy on
  • Options
    cryohazardcryohazard Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Sweet @That_Guy . I haven't been following forums in a while. Bad PA community member. I'll play for sure. Wonder if @rakuenCallisto will play again. Miss the old Rusty Moose days with him and Balla.

cryohazard on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    Thanks to Yall and Risen for the donations. We are now covered for the next 6 months!

• Options
    I have an IRL buddy that might join us too. Hopefully we can get some pubbies as well ;)

• Options
    Looks like I’ll be abandoning my base at the old server sooner than anticipated!

Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Oh awesome! Sorry, I didn't see that @msg until now, but if you send me the details I would love to chip in.

• Options
    We've got plenty of donations for now. Thanks for the offer though.

• Options
    How often do we plan to wipe?

• Options
    Sceptre wrote: »
    How often do we plan to wipe?

Once a month. BP wipes only when required by updates.

• Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    That sounds sweet! I've been really busy lately but when I get free time I'm planning on doing some Rusting.

• Options
    Looking forward to spending some time there. Do we plan to re-activate the animal AI?

• Options
    Sceptre wrote: »
    Looking forward to spending some time there. Do we plan to re-activate the animal AI?

I found a line for it in the config file. I'll see if I can enable them tomorrow morning.

• Options
    Animal AI should be enabled now. I didn't have time to jump on the server to make sure, though. I updated the name with the wipe date too.

• Options
    Thank God I got my animal fat already. ;)