As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Canadian Politics] Supreme Court rules on interprovincial sour grapes

• Options
    ZibblsnrtZibblsnrt Registered User regular
    hippofant wrote: »
    Aegis wrote: »
    At this point, do the other candidates really have to do anything other than say: "Patrick Brown has entered the race to replace Patrick Brown as leader of the OPC."

? I don't understand. They're completely tearing the platform apart. Reversing minimum wage increase, reversing carbon tax plan, reversing sex education plan, reversing expansion of pharmacare to under 25s. There's literally not a platform remaining any more for the PCs, except a general, "Anything Wynne does, we're going to do the opposite!" theme.

I get that Canadian conservatism has defined itself almost exclusively in terms of slavishly imitating American conservatism for the last twenty years, but it's depressing seeing it done that thoroughly, especially (1) when they're not in a position to benefit from frantic infighting and (2) when we've all got a few years' worth of examples as to just how dysfunctional Cleek's Law is as a primary political doctrine.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Aegis wrote: »
    At this point, do the other candidates really have to do anything other than say: "Patrick Brown has entered the race to replace Patrick Brown as leader of the OPC."

? I don't understand. They're completely tearing the platform apart. Reversing minimum wage increase, reversing carbon tax plan, reversing sex education plan, reversing expansion of pharmacare to under 25s. There's literally not a platform remaining any more for the PCs, except a general, "Anything Wynne does, we're going to do the opposite!" theme.

It's not a weak message though, sadly

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    Former NDP MP Paul Dewar apparently was diagnosed with brain cancer :(

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    So the NS government, after trying to get a contract with the Nova Scotia Teachers Union a few months ago, has already breached the contract. Now that they have a majority term, they're trying to implement the recommendations of some asshole who basically wants to privatize education in this province to line his own pockets.
    The plan, recommended by a guy named Paul Bennett in something called the Glaze Report, would include dissolving school boards, replaced by a "College of Educators", an un-elected board run by, oh, look at that, Paul Bennett.
    I know multiple educators in the province who are legitimately very worried about what this means going forward.

Even though I didn't like the NS Liberals back during the election, I never imagined this kind of bullshit would happen under them. I'm already a supporter of the NS NDP, but if this comes to pass, the NS NDP will basically be the only major left wing party in the province, which is legitimately a surprise. The NS Liberals traditionally have been a very left left-of-center party. If they actually take this stance on education though, in my eyes, they're gone. This is legitimately unprecedented.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    That is absolutely what strikes are for.

• Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    That is absolutely what strikes are for.

Of the General variety, not just the teachers.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Even though I didn't like the NS Liberals back during the election, I never imagined this kind of bullshit would happen under them.

I'm entirely unsurprised. The premier's utter refusal to engage with teachers in this province in any kind of good faith is one of the most consistent things about his tenure. If he makes any agreements or commitments with regards to education, I've long since just started assuming he's lying.

They also issued a directive to schools today forbidding teachers from criticizing the Glaze Report lest they face unspecified disciplinary actions, a few days after the education minister said they were allowed to express themselves about it. At this point I'm actually assuming the intent was to get them to do so and then start leaning on them under the new 'rules.'

This wouldn't be the first time the premier started handing out poison pills to provoke job action by educators. He's totally wants a strike, because it's an opportunity to legislate them back off the picket line under even more restrictive conditions. This kind of thing isn't going to stop until the NSTU is effectively dissolved or McNeil's out of office.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    It seems like pissing off Teacher's Unions is always a bad move. I don't think you can legislate the end of a strike and come out looking like the good guy.

• Options
    edited February 2018
    McNeil did that and won a majority government in the last general election. What he's doing now is tearing up the "agreements" he got then (by literally legislating the teachers' agreement to terms they didn't want).

People are hostile to teachers and the teaching profession basically as a rule these days. Provoking job action and legislating against it afterwards is basically a solid way to come out looking good to the electorate.

Zibblsnrt on
  • Options
    NosfNosf Registered User regular
    Brown was a colossal flip flopper, but was about the best of the bunch last I saw. If nothing else, he kept he crazy right in check but I guess now they can just go all Monte McNaughton and play to the hilarious idea of telling our kids that babies come from the stork and then wonder why the fuck we have so much teen pregnancy. I can see how that's attractive, that system has worked so well in the states.

The rifle they had in the car was loaded but broken, they broke it trying to break into a vehicle at the farm they went to before Gerald Stanley's. Colton Boushie didn't deserve to die for being a shit, and I doubt Gerald Stanley went into that situation with the notion that someone was going to wind up dead. There was a good piece by an aboriginal BC writer who talked about how the aboriginals think the farmers are all racist and out to get them, and the farmers think all aboriginals are out to prey on the farmers. He lamented that it's a vicious cycle and there's no progress forward until that thinking is changed. Personally, I don't see anything changing until they tear down the reserves and go from there. I'm sure lots don't want to leave their lands or something, but if their kids have no prospects for jobs etc, then the next generation is going to be just as fucked. I doubt there's enough cash to to bring each of these remote locations up to snuff for residential, educational etc so the bands and the govt are going to have to come to some form of compromise.

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    Zibblsnrt wrote: »
    McNeil did that and won a majority government in the last general election. What he's doing now is tearing up the "agreements" he got then (by literally legislating the teachers' agreement to terms they didn't want).

People are hostile to teachers and the teaching profession basically as a rule these days. Provoking job action and legislating against it afterwards is basically a solid way to come out looking good to the electorate.

"WAAAH! I'VE BEEN INCONVENIENCED!"

• Options

That's bizarre AF. From our experience here in BC when the teachers have had strikes, when the BC Liberals (see: Conservatives) have pulled similar crap, the public mood is quite consistently behind the teachers.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular

That's bizarre AF. From our experience here in BC when the teachers have had strikes, when the BC Liberals (see: Conservatives) have pulled similar crap, the public mood is quite consistently behind the teachers.

I agree the general public was on side with the teachers but it didn't seem to help much...
    Even after the supreme court decision the govt. dragged their feet.

• Options

Here they're basically treated as the enemy. We've basically had a full generation where the government's seen education as little more than a fiscal liability or convenient scapegoat, and it really shows in public attitudes.

If teaching issues come up in conversation everyone starts babbling about their getting the summers off and only working six hours a day and what good are they anyway because they aren't teaching little Timmy cursive anymore blah blah wharrgarbl. If it's not that, it's "well, we're sympathetic, but one single dime towards staffing or facilities is unacceptable, and the only way to improve outcomes is by rigidly standardizing curricula and teaching styles to the point where the teachers should only recite test-relevant information as directed."

It's depressing. They're going to hold the strike vote, and it's going to pass, and the government will just instantly outlaw it again, and people will pat the premier on the back for sticking it to those evil thugs. It's going to take years to fix when he's out of office, especially if the replacement party is the PCs.

• Options
    Aridhol wrote: »

I agree the general public was on side with the teachers but it didn't seem to help much...
    Even after the supreme court decision the govt. dragged their feet.

Bit by bit though, it did hurt the Liberals come election time. Its just as we've despairingly come to observe, those who still identify as conservative these days seem to stubbornly vote for their guy no matter what, its the other ~66% who bother to turn out to vote it sticks with, like a bit of a shell after eating popcorn stuck in your teeth. That a majority of voters being with the teachers seem to make little difference after all that, I lay squarely at the feet of First Past The Post ridings. It is to our own detriment that we disparage unions, as we have seen south of the border.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    My experience in Ontario is fairly similar. At least among conservative voters teachers and especially the teachers unions are the enemy. They are lazy and useless and entitled apparently. Classic anti-union crab bucket thinking.

• Options
    "Everyone else is overpaid and shouldn't be asking for more, except for me, I don't make enough."

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Shameless publicity time! My girlfriend's four-person company has been working on an animated movie for the past 10 years, and Nelly & Simon: Mission Yeti is finally coming out this weekend. It's 100% Canadian-made and even starts off in 1950s Québec City and Université Laval. It's already been sold to 56 countries worldwide and has been presented in film festivals and competitions around the world, contributing nicely I think to Canada's visibility worldwide. It also premiered in Québec City last weekend, and was beloved by everyone. We're all pretty excited about it! And you (yes, you, personally) should go see it!

Fun fact: for realism for the scenes in Kathmandu, the producers actually traveled there to document what the city looks like, and they got Nepalese immigrants from the community in Québec City to voice most of the Nepalese characters.

sig.gif
  • Options
    hawkboxhawkbox Registered User regular
    Cool. I can't imagine working on the same project for 10 years.

• Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    Had my classes booked to get my PAL and I decided this morning to cancel. This whole Florida shooting has really made me reevaluate my position on owning any gun regardless of the type. I don't hunt and just wanted it to go target shooting but I just can't stop thinking of a snapchat I accidentally watched of the incident.

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    hawkboxhawkbox Registered User regular
    I've had a restricted PAL for 10 years or so but stopped owning guns around 6 years ago. I have no real interest in changing that. I keep it renewed mostly because I might need to get a rifle for the farm and I don't care enough to figure out how to drop the restricted part.

• Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    Nosf wrote: »
    "Everyone else is overpaid and shouldn't be asking for more, except for me, I don't make enough."

I remember seeing this sentiment the most during the NHL lockout. People were pissed that there was no hockey. People almost universally blamed the players, despite the fact that it was an owner's lockout. And that the owners were trying to weasel out of contracts THEY negotiated. The thing I heard the most was 'the players make millions to play a game, they should be happy with that!' Personally, I would rather my ticket/merch money was going to the players rather than the front office.

With teachers, the thing I always hear is 'look at alllll the PA/PD days they get, and that they don't have to work summers, and look at how much they get paid!' I can't fathom why people don't want to invest significant resources in our education system.

• Options
    AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    Disco11 wrote: »
    Had my classes booked to get my PAL and I decided this morning to cancel. This whole Florida shooting has really made me reevaluate my position on owning any gun regardless of the type. I don't hunt and just wanted it to go target shooting but I just can't stop thinking of a snapchat I accidentally watched of the incident.

I wanted to get it for going hunting with my father in law but ultimately I thought I don't really like guns and I got two young kids at home and I'm just not that careful. Didn't want to take any risks.

• Options

I remember seeing this sentiment the most during the NHL lockout. People were pissed that there was no hockey. People almost universally blamed the players, despite the fact that it was an owner's lockout. And that the owners were trying to weasel out of contracts THEY negotiated. The thing I heard the most was 'the players make millions to play a game, they should be happy with that!' Personally, I would rather my ticket/merch money was going to the players rather than the front office.

With teachers, the thing I always hear is 'look at alllll the PA/PD days they get, and that they don't have to work summers, and look at how much they get paid!' I can't fathom why people don't want to invest significant resources in our education system.

Well you see, the owners make millions not playing the game, so... wait.

• Options
    Welp, the province's teachers are holding a vote on the issue of "we don't care if the province considers it illegal we're striking over this bullshit." They could theoretically walk as early as tomorrow or Thursday.

Meanwhile the province is saying consulting with the teachers on the Department of Education's comprehensive restructuring of the province's school system is unacceptable because We Need Bold Action.

The next few days should be interesting.

• Options
    edited February 2018
    Welp, the province's teachers are holding a vote on the issue of "we don't care if the province considers it illegal we're striking over this bullshit." They could theoretically walk as early as tomorrow or Thursday.

Meanwhile the province is saying consulting with the teachers on the Department of Education's comprehensive restructuring of the province's school system is unacceptable because We Need Bold Action.

The next few days should be interesting.

We need BOLD ACTION, not the cooperation of the people who will actually be implementing this BOLD ACTION.

hippofant on
  • Options
    Oh, the teachers won't be implementing any of the BOLD ACTION. The lion's share of the BOLD ACTION consists of replacing school administrative staff with mere managers, establishing a centralized teaching-to-the-test body, and eliminating a number of public elected offices.

It's just more "if we run government like a bottom-line-obsessed business things will be awesome!" magical thinking.

• Options
    Oh, the teachers won't be implementing any of the BOLD ACTION. The lion's share of the BOLD ACTION consists of replacing school administrative staff with mere managers, establishing a centralized teaching-to-the-test body, and eliminating a number of public elected offices.

It's just more "if we run government like a bottom-line-obsessed business things will be awesome!" magical thinking.

Is this just hyperbole or is this for real?

Because isn't that genuinely the path to an even more dystopian future where our children are a resource rather than worth investing in and those wealthy enough abandoned the public system to really pound home the futility of dreaming of moving from poor to middle class?

steam_sig.png
  • Options

Is this just hyperbole or is this for real?

Because isn't that genuinely the path to an even more dystopian future where our children are a resource rather than worth investing in and those wealthy enough abandoned the public system to really pound home the futility of dreaming of moving from poor to middle class?

Not hyperbole. The province commissioned some privatization nut from Ontario to do up a report on How To Fix Our Schools; he gave the premier a laundry list including a bunch of items like that written in Buzzword Flowchart and McNeil immediately announced he was implementing them all, without any possibility of public consultation or input from the educators themselves.

The actual goal isn't really anything to do with education. McNeil's big career goal is to break the public sector unions; he wrecked the health ones in his previous mandate and this term is about doing the same to teachers.

• Options
    edited February 2018
    LOLOLOLOL, look who's coming to Patrick Brown's defense now: Patrick Brown’s girlfriend says it’s ‘wrong how media has treated him’
    Patrick Brown’s 23-year-old girlfriend says the ousted former Progressive Conservative leader “is one of the most respectful, decent and caring individuals I have ever met.” ...

Known to friends as “GG,” Gualtieri worked as an intern in Brown’s office on Parliament Hill when he was a Conservative MP before moving to Queen’s Park in May 2015 — about two weeks after Brown became Progressive Conservative leader.

Lady, I don't think you're helping here.

hippofant on
  • Options

I have a BOLD PLAN for our education system that doesn't involve any teachers at all! We just give the students "books" and tell them to "read" those "books".

Transformative.

• Options
    edited February 2018
    LOLOLOLOL, look who's coming to Patrick Brown's defense now: Patrick Brown’s girlfriend says it’s ‘wrong how media has treated him’
    Patrick Brown’s 23-year-old girlfriend says the ousted former Progressive Conservative leader “is one of the most respectful, decent and caring individuals I have ever met.” ...

Known to friends as “GG,” Gualtieri worked as an intern in Brown’s office on Parliament Hill when he was a Conservative MP before moving to Queen’s Park in May 2015 — about two weeks after Brown became Progressive Conservative leader.

-
    Ontario Progressive Conservative MPP Randy Hillier is calling for a "significant" investigation into Patrick Brown's personal finances over allegations the former Tory leader engaged in "dirty and crooked politics" that breached the province's ethics rules.

Hillier, who is supporting former MPP Christine Elliott in the PC leadership race, filed a complaint with Ontario's integrity commissioner Tuesday afternoon, citing that he has "reasonable grounds" to believe Brown violated the Members' Integrity Act by not properly declaring his income to pay for his Barrie, Ont., house, reporting gifts and travel, and disclosing income related to nomination votes.

The Patrick Brown train never stops!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/patrick-brown-accused-of-dirty-politics-1.4543691

Brolo on
  • Options
    Brolo wrote: »

-
    Ontario Progressive Conservative MPP Randy Hillier is calling for a "significant" investigation into Patrick Brown's personal finances over allegations the former Tory leader engaged in "dirty and crooked politics" that breached the province's ethics rules.

Hillier, who is supporting former MPP Christine Elliott in the PC leadership race, filed a complaint with Ontario's integrity commissioner Tuesday afternoon, citing that he has "reasonable grounds" to believe Brown violated the Members' Integrity Act by not properly declaring his income to pay for his Barrie, Ont., house, reporting gifts and travel, and disclosing income related to nomination votes.

The Patrick Brown train never stops!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/patrick-brown-accused-of-dirty-politics-1.4543691

tire-fire.jpg&w=960

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    It scares me that one of those yahoos holding a burning tire in their hands may become the next premiere of Ontario.

At this point, one of the burning tires would be a better premiere than anyone in the OPC.

sig.gif
  • Options
    OPC is a real dumpster fire, but boneheads will still vote for them.

• Options
    edited February 2018
    OPC is a real dumpster fire, but boneheads will still vote for them.

Its a mentality I just can't wrap my head around "Augh! The politicians I voted for are incompetent, terrible, and liars! But I can't vote for anyone else, instead I will just claim that they are all as bad, nay, worse than who I voted for!"

I voted against the NDP in BC when I was sufficiently convinced a few of them were moderately corrupt decades ago when I was able to vote for the first time, I really don't understand why Liberal/Conservatives think I would vote for them once they were shown to be even worse.

I might be convinced to vote Liberal / Conservative again if I could rank candidates on my ballot though and have a multi member proportionally represented riding as the result, if I thought the candidate was actually a nice person who held conservative values that were held within civil reason supporting the Charter of Rights and adaptable to responding to a changing world. I voted Reform and Liberal once upon a time when I thought they were.

How do you not end up with dysfunctional governing bodies if you keep supporting people who are so blatantly self destructive and divisive to organized administration? And then the voters get shocked when the upper class in charge says "Let them eat cake"?

I just don't get it.

CanadianWolverine on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2018

The Ontario Progressive Conservative Party is still very much in the driver’s seat when it comes to the upcoming provincial election, despite a tumultuous past few weeks and not having an official leader, a new poll shows.

The PCs would receive 38 per cent of the vote if an election were held tomorrow, an Ipsos poll conducted exclusively for Global News shows. That’s up two points since a similar poll in December.
    Story continues below

READ MORE: Patrick Brown expected to learn on Wednesday if bid for Tory leadership can proceed

The Liberals would get 29 per cent, while the NDP would get 26 per cent. Eighteen per cent of respondents are undecided, the poll notes.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4037303/ontario-pcs-election-poll/

With the current leader confusion, multiple sex scandals, and wildly conflicting policy positions amongst the nominees, they're still up by 10 points.

Brolo on
  • Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    What bothers me is that the Wynne's government policies still have majority support, but Wynne herself (and her government) is rather disliked. The visceral hatred of Wynne is rather...troubling.

• Options
    Disco11Disco11 Registered User regular
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »
    What bothers me is that the Wynne's government policies still have majority support, but Wynne herself (and her government) is rather disliked. The visceral hatred of Wynne is rather...troubling.

I find it's the same with any politicians that break the mold.

Notley, Trudeau and Obama kind of had the same visceral hatred directed to them.

anyone but old white dudes, essentially.

PSN: Canadian_llama
  • Options
    Annnd better than three-quarters of the province's teachers have voted for job action in the wake of the province's educational reform bullshit.

I'm enjoying the whole "any job action is illegal because the contract says so!" when the contract was imposed under all kinds of duress to begin with.

This discussion has been closed.