As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Penny Arcade - Comic - Quality Time

DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
edited February 2018 in The Penny Arcade Hub

imagePenny Arcade - Comic - Quality Time

Videogaming-related online strip by Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins. Includes news and commentary.

Read the full story here

Unknown User on

• Allaun SilverfoxAllaun Silverfox Registered User regular
    "[Singing] We're whalers on the Moon, we carry a harpoon. But there ain't no whales so we tell tall tales and sing a whaling tune"

• ViRGEViRGE Registered User regular
    Gabe the Elder does have a pretty good point here...

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Gotta teach em while they're still young.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • lawragatajarlawragatajar Registered User regular
    All that singing and dancing is a ruse to get your guard down.

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    "[Singing] We're whalers on the Moon, we carry a harpoon. But there ain't no whales so we tell tall tales and sing a whaling tune"

Or the grimdark version. Which from the amount of drunks in this game, may be accurate:
    https://youtu.be/urV8MIcLDFk

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    look you can't take any chances with singing and dancing pirates

i-2F3qTLk-2100x20000.jpg

(alternately:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cM_bmY--NwM

• KagatoACKagatoAC Registered User regular
    And that right there is why I'll never play a PvP enabled game again, there is always some D-bag who just wants to kill you to ruin your experience. The Division taught me that.

• RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    Isn't PvP pretty much what this experience is about, though? Seems kind of like getting mad at people for playing Team Fortress 2 in the middle of your trading bazaar/MLP chatroom.

• SolkardSolkard Registered User new member
    That's probably part of the issue. It's a PvE/PvP game. A lot of people see "PvP' and immediately think everyone is obligated to be assholes to each other, or see it as a license to bully, insult, and harass others via griefing/trolling.

I'm still trying to decide what is the proper response when you come across people whose interest in a game, is not the game itself, but as a means of inflicting their pettiness upon others.

https://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2016/07/04/the-sixth-taste
    https://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2011/08/10/fed-astaire

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Yeah, maybe steer clear of Sea of Thieves if a group of rival players attacking your ship to steal your treasures in a pirate game constitutes "bullying" to you.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Bad mechanics are bad mechanics regardless of the game’s theme. If it’s possible to constantly ruin a game for others it doesn’t really matter if it’s about pirates, it still won’t be fun for those constantly on the sucky end.

Edit: Some of my favorite WoW stories spring from PvP areas I played with a friend in. But those stories also came from hours and hours of griefing from other players that greatly outweighed those stories. People often take PvP beyond the intended mechanics, use it to be shitty to others, and it does indeed suck. Having the word pirates as part of the description doesn’t really change that.

Quid on
  • SolkardSolkard Registered User new member
    Sorry if I wasn't clear, but I linked a few comics illustrating the kind of behavior I was referring to. I feel there's a line between the competition of PvP and promoting toxicity, and I often contemplate the division of responsibility of such player behavior.

Taking the example of the game The Division that someone mentioned earlier, I've often heard people brag that their goal is to make X number of players "ragequit" per day in PvP. At the same time, I also hear the same PvP players complain that there's no one to play with/against. It seems entirely hypocritical to me that their goal is to drive people away and then complain there's no one around.

Say a group of players are being spawn camped. How much do you fault the campers who resort to unsportsmanlike behavior? How much do you fault the Developer for not putting in a better spawn or spawn protection system? How much fault do you put on the players being camped for not being able to get out of being camped or for not expecting to be camped, since it's a "PvP" game.

• SadgasmSadgasm Deluded doodler A cold placeRegistered User regular

*click On*

"We're whalers on the-"

*click Off*

• wallywestwallywest Registered User regular
    FYI, for those that don't know, when WoW's next expansion hits they are removing PvP servers. Kind of ironic since Battle for Azeroth is highlighting the Alliance/Horde conflict.

You'll still be able to do world PvP, but only with other flagged players.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »

It's amazing that Christopher Walken can seemingly not give a shit while still making something magical.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • MaryAmeliaMaryAmelia Registered User regular
    There is a thin line between bad game mechanics that allow certain players to ruin the game, and mechanics that allow players to be as ruthless and competitive as they want to be. The situation in the strip falls into the latter, and I view it as a positive.

I don't know about The Division, but world pvp has always been a big part of WoW for me (was gutted to learn they are removing pvp servers, though I don't play anymore). Sure there were many campers and so on, but learning to deal with them was fun, made me a better player, and dare I say taught me a few - rather abstract - life lessons along the way.

I will say that it's what makes such games fun, and the reasoning "If you don't like it, don't play it." has always worked for me.

• tofeitofei Registered User regular
    MichaelLC wrote: »
    Or the grimdark version. Which from the amount of drunks in this game, may be accurate:
    https://youtu.be/urV8MIcLDFk
    Curse your black pirate heart, you've beaten me to quoting/referencing that! >_< LOL

• NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    ok, so I rode with @Sniperguy and his two friends in the latest beta testing.

We ran into all of two ships, during it (it was lower player count because of the stress testing). Chased one ship for about 30minutes because he kept sailing into the wind. I guess he was trying to get us to veer off, but he was the first ship we saw, and damned if we werent going to sink him. Saw that he was angling to an outpost to try and dump off loot so I shot Sniperguy out of a cannon to intercept that. Success, we took a chest from them and won the day. didn't sink the ship because we had two people shot at the island and we didn't feel it was worth it to keep chasing. We got one, and the guy was obstinate about sailing into the wind.

next ship had them try and fight us, and they did alright until they cut the wrong direction and we were able to ram them and kill them. blew up their ship. looked for loot among all the wreakage, couldn't find it, started taking supplies from the boat (new boats start with some supplies, not what your old boat had, so it was gonna rot anyways.) found some glowing skulls and took those instead. we find out no one parked our boat so it was gone... sniper and mcgee sacrificed their smaller skull loot to respawn back on our ship, delmaine and I swam to a tiny ass island and fought off skeletons while trying to direct sniper and mcgee back to pick us up.

lots of fun on both sides as the second guy we sunk found mcgee's xbox name and said he won because he had all his treasure boxes in the crows nest and we didn't see it. we told him we one because we got his super mythical skulls and sunk his ship.

but yea, the game is pvp focused. get a crew, and do stuff and just engage if you find another team because the loot you find is peanuts and you are only setback like 30minutes to an hour if you are ''all about the loot'' and its over and done in 5minutes and you might be the winner. much better to do that than spend 45minutes trying to sail away like the first guy.

if people *do* take your ship and spawn camp you, all you have to do is exit to the main menu and then hop back in and boom, new server instance, new boat which takes about 30seconds.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • RatherDashing89RatherDashing89 Registered User regular
    The fact that there's no levels makes me think ganking is less of an issue. If someone engages you, I imagine (from Tychos description anyway) that you have a decent chance of fighting back.

• zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    KalTorak wrote: »

It's amazing that Christopher Walken can seemingly not give a shit while still making something magical.
    That feels like his whole career. He takes a magical apathy to a level of art we can only just taste.

Correction, the internet is full of shit.

zepherin on
  • NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    The fact that there's no levels makes me think ganking is less of an issue. If someone engages you, I imagine (from Tychos description anyway) that you have a decent chance of fighting back.

That's the key part right here. There is no level tread mill. The loot and rep you grind is all for becoming the prettiest pretty pirate. The guy that has played for 1hour is just as lethal as the guy that played for 100hours. There is no Kirito moment of "my numbers are bigger!".

When i soloed, i myself was chased by a 4 man team, i got to an island, dropped off the chests i had, then proceeded to wage guerrilla warfare on my assailants. Killed them. Took *their* loot, and blew up their ship with their powder keg. Then logged off after telling them to not chase me anymore if they didnt want a repeat performance.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • MaximumSquidMaximumSquid Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Brother #2 is offscreen, but I assume this skirmish is Shirts vs. Skins

MaximumSquid on
  • DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    MaryAmelia wrote: »
    There is a thin line between bad game mechanics that allow certain players to ruin the game, and mechanics that allow players to be as ruthless and competitive as they want to be. The situation in the strip falls into the latter, and I view it as a positive.

I don't know about The Division, but world pvp has always been a big part of WoW for me (was gutted to learn they are removing pvp servers, though I don't play anymore). Sure there were many campers and so on, but learning to deal with them was fun, made me a better player, and dare I say taught me a few - rather abstract - life lessons along the way.

I will say that it's what makes such games fun, and the reasoning "If you don't like it, don't play it." has always worked for me.

Personally, I kind of always thought that the necessity of keeping the world PVP was part of what forced maintaining the stupid artificial conflicts between Alliance and Horde. And therefore I fucking hated it. I felt there was a component of "Gotta keep that war no matter how little sense it makes" in it, and I loathed that.

From what I hear, though, the removal of world PVP comes with yet another reflaring of stupid unnecessary conflict, though, so apparently it was not the PVP that was doing it, it was just Blizzard can't write.

Steam ID: Right here.
  • MarcinMNMarcinMN Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Drascin wrote: »
    MaryAmelia wrote: »

Personally, I kind of always thought that the necessity of keeping the world PVP was part of what forced maintaining the stupid artificial conflicts between Alliance and Horde. And therefore I fucking hated it. I felt there was a component of "Gotta keep that war no matter how little sense it makes" in it, and I loathed that.

From what I hear, though, the removal of world PVP comes with yet another reflaring of stupid unnecessary conflict, though, so apparently it was not the PVP that was doing it, it was just Blizzard can't write.

Well, it isn't called "World of Friendcraft." ;)

I never cared for the world PvP either, but since I was on a PvE server it wasn't much of an issue. The only annoyance was the occasional random stranger running up and throwing down the flag for a duel or whatever. I never took them up on the offer though. lol

MarcinMN on
    "It's just as I've always said. We are being digested by an amoral universe."

-Tycho Brahe