As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Am I doing this right?

SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentitytrying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
edited January 2018 in Artist's Corner
The title can refer to so many things.
So I had some heavier type paper lying around, and I decided to try and make paint things. Here is a sketch which I am planning to do this with, and I was wondering if people could poke at it a bit.

20080520the%20legend.jpg

(I know Ganon is "too wide", but I wanted him to be bigger in all dimensions.)
Suggestions?

Surfpossum on

• Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    gannon's head isnt centered. schooch it over to the left a bit.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    dredgeupsdredgeups Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    The perspective on the Tower's cone is a bit off (top right corner)

dredgeups on
  • Options
    TopiaTopia Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    The front of his robe is also going behind his legs. Also, his (shadow?) is just of his legs, like his robe doesn't cast a shadow.

Topia on
  • Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Thanks for the crits; unfortunately I haven't had time to touch it yet, but I'll be fixing those issues as soon as I can.
    Ganon's wearing a two layer getup, though, and that's why the tunic/robe thing is also behind his legs.

Surfpossum on
  • Options
    NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    WRONG! Just kidding!

Ganon's position on the page bothers me. It seems like he's juuust off center. I'd either make him perfectly centered or obviously not centered. I hope I'm not the only one who thinks that. :)

NibCrom on
  • Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    So it took nearly eight years but I've incorporated some of those fixes. Did you know that nowadays you can have multiple layers and draw directly onto computer screens? Even on phones! Technology. Amazing.

54jkw87tebs2.jpg
    edit: for some reason I thought McGibs said to scooch the head to the right. Whoops!

I'm also taking the next month or two to focus on painting stuff, so I've got a couple of things going. Better to not know what I'm doing on multiple projects at once!

I'm working on a series of landscapes from No Man's Sky; the first one is largely done I think, the other two that I've started have substantial work left.

pocwkjy3w8ea.jpg
    (ref)
    a62m8vfvdq4o.jpg
    (ref)
    q5d9o9d2uam1.jpg
    (ref)

I'm also working on a Dark Souls thing. I think I basically need to go over the whole thing to make it nicer.

gteledf7asw7.jpg

Any critiques/advice will be greatly appreciated in 2026.

Surfpossum on
  • Options
    Still poking away at some of the above, but also started some other stuff because I am incapable of finishing things.

ps8x1dhmk36y.jpg

This is about how much I draw before I start painting; I've been thinking maybe I should put more down first? I dunno!

lqp51t2i7vrq.jpg

2zo3jqyabirr.jpg

A trail by my house, and the refinery where I worked. These are the (kinda loose) references for them:
    s0yj6jz7dff2.jpg

vkt8w0jomzxu.jpg

Aaaand some Magic card altering that I've started trying to get back into.

2hzxjm6p02be.jpg

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I've always wanted to try out the magic card painting stuff.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    It's pretty easy to get started; you want painter's tape, one of those gritty ink erasers (most look kinda gray), and really small brushes. I also tend to use Reaper style miniature paints for it, but whatever works.

You basically just tape cards down based on what you want to paint, then erase off the part you want to paint on. They're pretty tough, and the print is actually some kind of clay based thing I think, so it should come off pretty nicely.

• Options
    edited January 2018
    Managed to get these two completely covered (as in... painted, not spilled) with paint, so the next step is tooooo...

*checks notes*

... ah yes, agonize incessantly that I will only make them worse from this point on.

vwjxhmi19bqc.jpg

a4eevswye4ic.jpg

I also did a quick paintover of this one; I went to keep it very empty, but the foreground needs something. Maybe just brightening sections of it up will work?

p0t1pe4v8tww.jpg

Surfpossum on
  • Options
    Rather than try to finish something, I worked on this some more:

ngwx32udywr8.jpg

And started a whole new one:

noqpb2bam6k2.jpg

The local climbing gym is gonna let us (my girlfriend makes these wire tree things) put some art up in March, so I have to call a couple of these done by then, right?

• Options
    Another week and a half, another unit and a half of progress.

I'm calling these three "done enough to go up in the climbing gym but if I have time I'll probably poke at them some more."
    zxz9l5jm4wza.jpg

kntpvev1cnzn.jpg

rj2ofzhawc6x.jpg

This one needs a bit more attention I think, but maybe not much.

akjhp568bot0.jpg

And this one I've just started.

7gr54mq2af7s.jpg

I think all the references I've used so far can be found in this folder, if anyone wants to see those.

• Options
    Just over a week left, down to just two that definitely still need work before I want them publically displayed!

423at6nl65mm.jpg

Calling this one done for now:

dqxph2fqqctw.jpg

• Options
    edited March 2018
    Kind of started slacking once I put all that stuff up; working on a Puddles-based birthday present now:

arlblzpb6vro.jpg

r5u23znc6lad.jpg

hify4p1jsdt6.jpg

v1aueshdd926.jpg

9mfqiblg2hvt.jpg

wbmkunznnkmu.jpg

xzlusan97kxd.jpg

Surfpossum on
  • Options
    Working on a tattoo, this was the first pass:
    1gya80igq7wv.jpg

And here's a slight revision:
    zr75wwv5cqsp.jpg

I think the stripes might be too busy, and I can't quite get the ear and mouth right. Not quite sure how to adjust them, tho.

• Options
    Do you have illustrator? Put it in vectors to make it as clean as possible, plus it will make tweaks easier.

I like to ART
  • Options
    rcwalledrcwalled Registered User new member
    Just looking at the paintings the big things that stand out to me are composition, colors, and the way you peicemeal paint them.

The composition is a little still. Everything is centered and delineated into for, middle and background. It feels basic and in the first underwater painting and the desert there is conflict between the contrasts in the upper right of the painting and the rest of the painting. Its the most interesting part of the painting visually but compositionally the painting is saying you should be looking in the middle.

With the refinery that you worked at should have left the cars off the bottom and the clown should have been pulled all the way down to the edge of the canvas.

Im going to lump colors together with the piecmealing. Several of these look like five or six peices put together. Theres not much unifying the seperate peices and they are not transitioning well between the peices. I would compare a couple of those to your trail painting with the deer.

Sorry im running out of words. Try working more parts of the painting at once and working more colors in subtly.

• Options
    edited June 2018
    That's a lot of good stuff, and it got me thinking so much that I stopped painting for two months.

(That's not actually why I stopped painting, but I did decide to try doing some pet portraits next instead of more landscapes.)

Those observations are going to be very helpful once I get around to practicing stuff that will help fix the issues you mention. But that sounds like a lot of work, so in the meantime I started this:

sq3g4y2jjxv7.jpg

ld3c1b4pzkme.jpg

Surfpossum on
  • Options
    acadiaacadia Registered User regular
    Those pet portraits are feeling pretty dynamic!

• Options
    rduhe231scf7.jpeg

So the first thing I'm trying to do differently is work more colors in as I go; I think the results are decent so far.

Completely messed up the ears since I was just throwing colors down without my reference or even really paying attention, but that's just a goof.

• Options
    I'm moving my recent doodles here since I feel like I'm flooding the doodle thread, but I also want to try and keep this pace.
    Surfpossum wrote: »
    I am overwhelmed with brush options so I just started throwing a bunch onto this.

eikg2jx98hdi.jpg
    Trying to practice a bit with shaded volumes instead of lines, semi-content with the attempt.

cjdmr77o5zel.jpeg

And a random attempt at working with light.

pu5gz9wxbfx2.jpeg

I was sitting under a tree and traced the sunlight on my screen, then threw a hand in.

kcb4ezh5v9rq.jpg

Then I looked up and tried to capture one of the branches.

jkc1735c756o.jpg

I call it "Mr. Dennis Wojtkiewicz can go right to hell."

• Options
    A pair of portraits; I’m really growing fond of outlining stuff in various ways.

l3vk48fj9g85.jpeg

1646nggauji6.jpeg

• Options
    I probably should have just be chatting with your about art stuff on here so it didn't get buried in the flurry that is D&D Chat.

I like to ART
  • Options
    SeveredHeadSeveredHead Registered User regular
    outlining stuff is indeed pretty cool

• Options
    tnftrvdl4k3f.jpegtc7wmqlutzn0.jpegslz7x440wk08.jpeg

n1vpwi5mav7c.jpeg

@Doodmann here are the layers I ended up with on this. You can tell that I mentally compartmentalized the hair and outfit as different "things," and you can also see where I quickly tried to fix the hair up a bit.

These last couple of things have all been done using the default pencil in Sketchbook; I'm really liking how that feels, and I'm trying to push away the worry that I'm just getting into a comfort zone.

I also just noticed that Sketchbook has a built in timelapse feature, so I'll probably be posting that because 1) it'll probably be cool and 2) I think it will probably be helpful in finding spots to focus on.

• Options
    ah I see, it makes sense. I've also only really been using the pencil. I've been messing around on photoshop with Kyle's Oil brushes and I love them, so I want to eventually explore what procreate has.

I did not realize on the timelapse feature. I'll have to try that for my next project.

I like to ART
  • Options
    Since I’ve used this username for basically everything for the past... dozen years or something, I figure it’s maybe time to start working on an avatar or something. Started here:
    I make no assurances re: this twitter so explore at own risk or w/e, it just seems to be the origin of this particular bit of poetry.

cozocf00hghk.jpeg

Bonus stylized version:

9arki9axbtyl.jpeg

Started doodling:

syo9kq5xwdvy.jpeg

And messing about with Adobe’s free Illustrator thing:

eyttc1amf2m1.jpeg

In which I discovered that the slightly oval shape I used originally is within the region where the circle guide snaps to a perfect circle, which is... tremendously annoying.

• Options
    SeveredHeadSeveredHead Registered User regular
    rad

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    This is what the internet is for.