Baby diapers

2»

Posts

  • ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor Registered User regular
    mts wrote: »
    things change once the baby comes out in terms of gag etc.
    Your perception of gross certainly changes. I can now wipe poop on my face or have prechewed food shoved in my mouth without blinking. But she's part bloodhound; smells have a profound, involuntary effect on her.

    With her it's less "eww, gross" and more "Sure, I got it. No, wait, I guess food is coming out of me now; sorry."



    Mulletude
  • CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    We did disposables for while our guy was a newborn, and eventually went back to them for overnight. However, we do cloth diapers for the rest of the time, and if he didn't pee so much in the night would have kept using them for overnight as well. We do a disposable with a wool cover over it for overnight. The disana diaper covers are dope and your kid looks like an adorable baby hobbit in them.

    So yeah, dealing with baby shit is kind of gross, but one of the things I've really noticed now that I'm almost two years into parenting is that the standards of what is going to gross me out are way lower than they used to be.

    It really isn't that bad to deal with the poop, and a lot of them you can just pop out into the toilet.

    For disposables, we are hippies and like the more enviro friendly ones. Mostly we use Honest Co, but Naty is good too.

    :so_raven:
  • CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    Now having read the other replies, a couple of other things. Our daycare is fine with cloth diapers, but really, hopefully that is down the road a little for you.

    On another diaper related front, you may want to consider if you really need a change table. We went with one for a while until our guy started trying to barrel roll off the damn thing. Now, we just change him on the floor. We have two peapod matts, one for his crib and one for his change area. They're canadian too, which is nice.

    :so_raven:
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    Well isn't that why the dresser toppers usually have a strap, to keep baby in?

    PSN: Kurahoshi1
    ArbitraryDescriptorElvenshae
  • CorvusCorvus . VancouverRegistered User regular
    Septus wrote: »
    Well isn't that why the dresser toppers usually have a strap, to keep baby in?

    Not all of them. And once your kid gets big or active enough, it's just safer to have them on the ground.

    :so_raven:
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Regardless of if there's a strap or not, you should always be right in front of the changing table if the baby is on it.

    We still use a changing table because it's easier than getting to the floor each time, but our baby is also not super squirmy most of the time

    PA HotS Group
    Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    We used cloth diapers for our first. We used the liner/shell method as well. We had a friend come over and show us the basics on how to fold the diapers, what clips to buy, and what to look for in a washing machine. It is a lot cheaper to use cloth, especially if you have any other children further down the line. We found a daycare that was okay with cloth diapers. Grandparents had no trouble learning cloth diapering when they babysat.

    If you are breastfeeding them, up until they have formula or solid food, all diapers go right in the wash, regardless of contents. Solid food creates actual poop, and is the end of the golden days of cloth diapers. Still, its not too much trouble to wash them out, we got a diaper sprayer attachment for the toilet, and only comically sprayed ourselves in the face several times. It is pretty powerful.

    Not statistically valid, but my first toilet trained at 20-22 months and really hated the sensation of a wet cloth diaper. So she was very happy to save it for the toilet. Wasn't great at telling us she needed to go until we started offering a bribe in the form of a chocolate chip.

    You still might want disposables on hand for trips, unwilling babysitters, and if they develop a rash.

  • mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    I can't say that in 7 years of baby I have ever used the strap. I would never walk away without a hand on the baby at all times

    camo_sig.png
    kimeschussMulysaSemproniusGrobianElvenshae
  • HandkorHandkor Registered User regular
    One big tip to give you is to never put your kid to bed without pants or a onesie, otherwise that diaper will be coming off once they are bored in the crib and you do not want to hear the rest of the story.

    My oldest son also got big enough that we were able to switch him from the velcro cloth diapers to ones with snaps and that also solved those problems.

    CorvusschussElvenshaePeen
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    mts wrote: »
    I can't say that in 7 years of baby I have ever used the strap. I would never walk away without a hand on the baby at all times

    I mean...this is why the strap confused me at first. It seemed comical to rely on it.
    38thDoe wrote: »
    If you are breastfeeding them, up until they have formula or solid food, all diapers go right in the wash, regardless of contents. Solid food creates actual poop, and is the end of the golden days of cloth diapers.

    By this, I assume you mean go into the wash without needing extra cleaning, or do you mean immediately into the wash? That sounds like the opposite of a golden age to me, we're hoping that we could do 10 at a time in the wash.

    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    Septus wrote: »
    mts wrote: »
    I can't say that in 7 years of baby I have ever used the strap. I would never walk away without a hand on the baby at all times

    I mean...this is why the strap confused me at first. It seemed comical to rely on it.
    38thDoe wrote: »
    If you are breastfeeding them, up until they have formula or solid food, all diapers go right in the wash, regardless of contents. Solid food creates actual poop, and is the end of the golden days of cloth diapers.

    By this, I assume you mean go into the wash without needing extra cleaning, or do you mean immediately into the wash? That sounds like the opposite of a golden age to me, we're hoping that we could do 10 at a time in the wash.

    probably the former

    camo_sig.png
    38thDoe
  • CauldCauld Registered User regular
    Septus wrote: »
    mts wrote: »
    I can't say that in 7 years of baby I have ever used the strap. I would never walk away without a hand on the baby at all times

    I mean...this is why the strap confused me at first. It seemed comical to rely on it.
    38thDoe wrote: »
    If you are breastfeeding them, up until they have formula or solid food, all diapers go right in the wash, regardless of contents. Solid food creates actual poop, and is the end of the golden days of cloth diapers.

    By this, I assume you mean go into the wash without needing extra cleaning, or do you mean immediately into the wash? That sounds like the opposite of a golden age to me, we're hoping that we could do 10 at a time in the wash.

    Ours has a strap and also a piece that you're supposed to screw into the changing table. So far we've just put the changing table on the bed.

  • PeenPeen tw1tch0rz occasionallyRegistered User regular
    Septus wrote: »
    38thDoe wrote: »
    If you are breastfeeding them, up until they have formula or solid food, all diapers go right in the wash, regardless of contents. Solid food creates actual poop, and is the end of the golden days of cloth diapers.

    By this, I assume you mean go into the wash without needing extra cleaning, or do you mean immediately into the wash? That sounds like the opposite of a golden age to me, we're hoping that we could do 10 at a time in the wash.

    Without extra cleaning. Once you're on solid food poop you need to spray it off into a toilet but breastmilk poop can go right into the laundry.

    ArbitraryDescriptorschuss
  • ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor Registered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    Septus wrote: »
    38thDoe wrote: »
    If you are breastfeeding them, up until they have formula or solid food, all diapers go right in the wash, regardless of contents. Solid food creates actual poop, and is the end of the golden days of cloth diapers.

    By this, I assume you mean go into the wash without needing extra cleaning, or do you mean immediately into the wash? That sounds like the opposite of a golden age to me, we're hoping that we could do 10 at a time in the wash.

    Without extra cleaning. Once you're on solid food poop you need to spray it off into a toilet but breastmilk poop can go right into the laundry.

    Yes. A toilet. You are about to learn more about poop than you ever imagined. Like how it will not pass through a grated shower drain.

    But solid poops should correlate to less frequent pooping as well, and may be a wash on upkeep.

  • mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    pro tip once they hit solids you can still dump the turds in the toilet with a disposable.

    makes things decidedly less smelly in the trash can

    camo_sig.png
    HandkorElvenshaetwmjrschuss
Sign In or Register to comment.