As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[2018 East Challenge Coin] Coins are arriving in your mailboxes!

• MephistoN7MephistoN7 Sexual Tyrannosaurus Keene, NHRegistered User regular
    That black ring is sexy af, but I agree that it would have to be on both sides.

I also share the same critique that the T-rex is too plain with the background removed. Was it too detailed to bring over?

The cloud scape if something is needed would work.

....Or a falling banner that says "When Dinosaurs Ruled the Earth.....

:biggrin:

erdub14zr3u2.png

• jdixon1972jdixon1972 Registered User regular
    I love the designs! I too think the black ring on the other side of the color coin would look good too. Either way, I still like it!

• SepiothSepioth Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Yeah I'm on board with the black ring being AWESOME as well as needed on both sides.

Also yea the T-Rex needs more now :p

EDIT:

Noticed there is a spot of white missing in the scarf near the neck.

Sepioth on
    4gzp0ml63v5i.png
  • ironysparklesironysparkles Lowell, MARegistered User regular
    SutibunRi wrote: »
    Last years landmark had a cloud like texture on the top half, would that work? It'd be subtle, but seems like a quick fix.
    I can ask for a black ring on the Rex side too.

The other dinosaurs in that exhibit have murals of forests and stuff behind them, that would be a good quick fix. I couldn't find pictures specifically of the ones from the museum of science in my quick search though.

UyhWici.png
    edited February 2018
    I was thinking about that same thing @ironysparkles ... some type of vegetation.

A few changes ...

1- Added a background
    2- Fixed the missing white spot in the scarf. (Circled in blue.)
    3- Lightened up the teeth to make them show a bit more.
    4- Removed the shadow from the nose.
    5- Added a separation line in the 2nd white panel up on the left side. (Circled in green.)
    6- Added black ring.

700fpkkw9gpo.png

Without the circles.
    s3z4f41dpnfo.png

Sepioth on
    4gzp0ml63v5i.png
    The natural scene looks great. My only fear is it slowly moves away from an exhibit in the Museum of Science and closer to an actual dinosaur in the wild wearing a scarf.

But still, love it. BECAUSE IT'S A DINOSAUR ON A PAX COIN.

Btw, the brass on that Scrabble side... damn. Beautiful.

erdub14zr3u2.png

Yeah I was thinking the same thing with the background.

Looks great but as you say takes away from the fact it is in a Museum.

4gzp0ml63v5i.png
  • SutibunRiSutibunRi Montreal, Quebec, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2018
    If I was a bit more sure how text would come out, I'd suggest using the text "Dinosaurs: Modeling the Mesozoic" underneath the Rex, as appears on a sign near it in the museumsouthernnewhampshirekids.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/019.jpg

The picture also shows a nice cloud mural on the walls, yay! I wasn't a total dummy suggesting clouds

I would like to mention, as I found with the Unplugged coin, even with no background, a full 3d relief of the focus item can still be pretty darn nice.
    https://us.v-cdn.net/5018289/uploads/editor/6x/th15h6791jic.jpg

I love Sepioths mockup, but as mentioned it does take away from the fact it's in a museum a bit.

SutibunRi on
    Those Unplugged from Kidder as well?

They are VERY shiny :p
    It does look good with no background but then again the Liberty Bell does take up most of the blank space :)

4gzp0ml63v5i.png
  • ironysparklesironysparkles Lowell, MARegistered User regular
    edited February 2018
    The liberty bell does look good with no background! If we went that route I'd still suggest making the t-rex take up a bit more space. I know we voted already, but https://www.flickr.com/photos/89701436@N00/4278103848 is a nice 3/4 pic with the scarf, which could take up more room than the side profile.

ironysparkles on
    UyhWici.png
    edited February 2018
    Those Unplugged coins are indeed from Kiddercorp as well. (I ended up taking over the Unplugged coins.)
    Black Nickel is an amazing metal for coins.
    There should still be 8 of Unpluggeds regular Color coins available to order. (color regular are sold out, but I have a few extras in my coin stash.)

I've sent the tweaked image to Kiddercorp, asked for the Rex to be made larger, and if there was something subtle that could be done with the background, be it clouds or texture or something to counter the white space.

While I do like the more front facing Rex, our polling had over half the votes calling for a side view, and I'd rather stick to the spirit of the vote if not the letter of it.

Edit: I mixed up what coins were sold out.

SutibunRi on
    As a late adopter of the PAX coin, I ask a question you have probably answered before if you happen to have any extra past East coins stashed away I could barter for monetary paper monies at the event.

erdub14zr3u2.png

edited February 2018
    I have extras of all the East coins I've been in charge of.
    2015, 2016, 2017, and soon, 2018.

Edit:
    Also: I guess, all the Unplugged Coins EVER.

SutibunRi on
    edited February 2018
    East 2011-2015 coins seem to still be available at https://phoenixchallengecoins.com/product-tag/pax-east/

Though not that cheap. $25 each with 2015 at $18. Only $108 plus any taxes. At least they have free shiping

There are two labeled as 2012. The one with the linked gameboys is 2013.

Sepioth on
    4gzp0ml63v5i.png
    Phoenix will probably have those coins available for the foreseeable future, the contract I agreed to in 2015 (Which I assume was the same for 2011-2014) basically contained a clause that lets them print X more coins to sell to whoever they like whenever they like.

Not gonna lie, I read contracts a little more closely these days.

• iltailta Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Love the ring, agree it should be on both sides. Could we see a red ring, which is the PAX East "official" color? Not sure it's better than black, just want to see it.

In terms of background, I think a very soft sky effect would work. Something that's still "painterly" rather than a photograph, so that it's clear it's still a museum. Ideally, it looks like the actual sky above his head in the museum in the image already linked.

Something like one of these guys:
    https://us.v-cdn.net/5018289/uploads/editor/eg/ozynqmbq54ol.png
    http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-7a0MyqHPBz8/TlvPq26r6II/AAAAAAAAAsI/9AIXlIIzLmc/s1600/calmeveningsky_cropped_reduced.JPG

ilta on
  • marnidawgmarnidawg Registered User new member
    Honestly the coin is great as it is now. Personally love the black ring. As for the blankness behind the t-rex a texture might help? The clouds isn't a bad idea, but doesn't make much sense.

• TopherRocksTopherRocks Rockstar Beard Grower Kent, OH or Long Island, NYRegistered User regular

Edit:

Once I give up hunting, I may hit you up for a few 2017 coins. Mine went MIA during a move and I haven't given up hope of finding it quite yet.

And I bought 5 of those Unplugged coins!

Edit:

I'm in. :biggrin:

erdub14zr3u2.png

• nomisronomisro Brooklyn, NY, USARegistered User regular
    Sepioth wrote: »
    East 2011-2015 coins seem to still be available at https://phoenixchallengecoins.com/product-tag/pax-east/

Though not that cheap. $25 each with 2015 at $18. Only $108 plus any taxes. At least they have free shiping

There are two labeled as 2012. The one with the linked gameboys is 2013.

Anybody got a spare 2013 coin for sale? Its the only one i'm missing. That East 2011 coin on phoenix challenge coins look different than the one I hae.

• GoreySailorGoreySailor Boston, MARegistered User regular
    I’ve been on the prowl for a 2011 coin for some time now. If anybody has one for sale or trade, let me know! The one on Phoenix is a different variation.

Yeah, that 2011 coin looks nothing like the one 'we' did. and looking back at the old thread, we used a different company all together that year.

edited February 2018
    Noticed one more thing with the T-Rex .. I removed his nostril when I took out the shadow. (also if the shadow is getting removed make sure its removed from the non colored coin as well). Of course this is if we like the edits I have added lately.
    6lay1kg8dmur.png

On the red ring part... I tried it on both sides. On the Dino side it clashed way to much with the red scarf. And on the other side it hides Ms. Pac-Man's bow but does not look to bad having one side red other black.
    n4b1w0gabhd0.jpg

For comparison sake:
    7ydflh6swwir.jpg

Sepioth on
    4gzp0ml63v5i.png
  • ClannMorganClannMorgan Registered User regular
    The red ring is my fav, but I would hate to hide Ms. Pac-Man's bow

I like the black ring myself. It makes Ms. Pac-Man's bow really pop!

• lauren0rzlauren0rz Registered User regular
    I like the black ring on the front for sure, but I do like the red on the back... since red is the PAX East color, I feel like it'd be apropos. Maybe the DOUBLE LETTER SCORE squares could have a red background instead of blue? (if the ring were black) Just a suggestion. T-rex was my fave as a kid so I'd like to buy one this year :)

qtjvjrS.png
  • Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    Been MIA on vacation. Loving the black ring!

While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
    Alrighty, Kiddercorp has sent this off to the factory, where they'll do the required tweaks to be production worthy.

DcoLMTt.jpg

The Rex breaking out of the ring is amazing.
    And last years coin leads me to believe that the cloud texture will be a fair deal less conspicuous than the art makes it appear.

It's... so beautiful.

erdub14zr3u2.png

SOLD!

The T-Rex breaking through is amazing...

I like all the cleanup work that was done too. I can live with the cloud texture. Maybe just a brushed aluminum look would work?

4gzp0ml63v5i.png
    This has to be the best coin yet! Can't wait to order it.

• iltailta Registered User regular
    gorgeous. breaking through was a fabulous choice, can't wait to get my coins!

edited February 2018
    This may be the first year that I say the color is far superior to the monochrome, though they both look awesome. I'm loving this so freaking much.

Le_Goat on
  • SinoSambaSinoSamba CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Nice, will be buying one of each when available. Great job as always, SutibunRi!

3DS FC: 3239-2323-6239
    My lurker friend (...I know you're reading this, Doyle) will be purchasing a few as well.

• starNOstarstarNOstar Buffalo, NYRegistered User regular
    Sorry if it's in the thread and I missed it, but do we have pricing for each option yet?

5fhxvn385q28.png
    Not yet.

Not yet.
    Will you consider my first born?

Not yet.

I keep throwing money at my monitor, but my coins haven't delivered yet. Am I doing it correctly?

erdub14zr3u2.png

Le_Goat wrote: »
    Not yet.
    Will you consider my first born?

After some deliberation, my lawyer has advised me against participating in any form of human trafficking.
    MephistoN7 wrote: »

I keep throwing money at my monitor, but my coins haven't delivered yet. Am I doing it correctly?

Have you tried wrapping your money around a brick before throwing it? I hear that helps.