As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

100 Pages of [PODCAST] Thread We'll Never Get Back

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    so, last boss of the DLC
    the Orphan and the Pthumerians. Whats the connection there, if at all? I assumed they were a civilization who abused the blood of Kos instead of the Moon Entity, but it seems like using the blood of Kos makes you more fishy, like the people in the Hamlet? and the Orphan seems exactly like a Pthumerian, but he's not in the past and in another dimension, so how could he create another civilization?

Indie Winter on
    wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »
    It’s steep (coulda been a few bucks for both emotes and the stickers instead of 10 total) but I don’t begrudge extra dlc costing money (especially immersion-breaking silly cosmetic stuff like this) because they still gotta pay artists and devs to stay on staff after development is completed to make this stuff.

I am extremely skeptical that they would be unable to properly pay their employees without charging $4 for a single emote

Oh I agree. Especially with a pool of 6 million potential buyers.

But if this does well and we get more monsters out of it then sure whatever.

I’ve already dumped over 100 hours into the game and I’m nowhere near done, which is also part of the metric I use when deciding if dlc is “worth” it. Kind of like a tip jar to get them to keep supporting the thing I like.

• Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    The 4 dollar emotes are not going to determine if we get more monster DLC

• Options
    The ability to further monetize a thing will absolutely impact how many resources they commit to said thing. Especially since the only announced monster right now is free.

• Options
    The BetgirlThe Betgirl I'm Molly! Registered User regular
    Isn't this like, Capcoms new best selling game ever? I doubt they'd stop supporting it any time soon

Steam PSN: YerFriendMolly
    ineedmayo.com Eidolon Journal Updated
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    you can trust capcom to run it into the fucking ground though

who's ready for monster hunter: world - ALPHA

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    rhylith wrote: »
    The ability to further monetize a thing will absolutely impact how many resources they commit to said thing. Especially since the only announced monster right now is free.

It will definitely impact how aggressively they decide to monetize future DLC offerings.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2018
    so, last boss of the DLC
    the Orphan and the Pthumerians. Whats the connection there, if at all? I assumed they were a civilization who abused the blood of Kos instead of the Moon Entity, but it seems like using the blood of Kos makes you more fishy, like the people in the Hamlet? and the Orphan seems exactly like a Pthumerian, but he's not in the past and in another dimension, so how could he create another civilization?
    So as far as I'm aware, there's no direct connection to the Pthumerians and Kos/Orphan, at least stated in game besides their general relation to the Great Ones. I assume the Pthumerians mostly had contact with Oedon, due to their ability to control blood as a weapon (the Queen, and the abilities granted to Vilebloods/Maria). The story is so open-ended pretty much any interpretation of events/motivations for the Great Ones you can give could fit.

Per the game, the body of Kos washes up off the Fishing Hamlet. The nascent hunters & researchers of Byrgenwerth are dispatched there, and violate the now mutated villagers seeking to understand what happened to them due to the Great One's influence. What may or may not have happened there, including to the unborn Orphan is left up to the viewer's interpretation, aside from the fact it so disgusted Maria she gave up her weapons. And Gehrman is clearly tormented by the Orphan's influence via the Hunter's Nightmare, you even get that small audio clue of his crying overlayed with the Orphan's at the end of the cut-scene before the fight, and the Doll's dialog to you should you kill the Orphan before the end of the game.

But given the whole, layered realities, even dying physically isn't death dying for Great Ones (or even Queen Yharnam), I don't suppose reverse causation and non-euclidean time stuff isn't out of the question here either.

Naphtali on
    Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Ben is correct, "nostalgia-backed cryptocurrency" is one of the worst phrases ever said.

• Options
    masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Ah yes, the most stable and predictable commodity of all, nostalgia

masterofmetroid on
  • Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I'm not sure I'm liking RUTRRM. I'm 44 minutes in and they've only gone through the members of the band once.

I'm still not sure who's hitting those circles or strumming those 4-string guitars.

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Adam Scott and Scott Aukerman are doing a weekly podcast about the band REM? What am I missing here? Is there a joke I'm not getting?

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Butters wrote: »
    Adam Scott and Scott Aukerman are doing a weekly podcast about the band REM? What am I missing here? Is there a joke I'm not getting?

They did this before with U2. It was initially supposed to be at least a somewhat serious music podcast but they didn't get through one episode before it devolved into something extraordinarily silly

And now instead of trying to wring more material out of U2 they're moving on to one of Adam's other favorite bands

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    One of the signature goofs of U Talking U2 to Me was nested podcasts, where anytime someone said something that vaguely sounded like a podcast title they would transition into doing an episode of that podcast

Which reached a fever pitch here:

https://youtu.be/HzBzyJjaPNY

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Is there like, a second podcast playing in the background of that audio?

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    President EvilPresident Evil Let's Rock Registered User regular
    Absolutely

• Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular

Yes. That episode is a commentary special where they were meant to be providing a "directors commentary" to one of their earlier episodes. They gave up on that about 3 minutes in and it's wonderful.

The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular

Yes. That episode is a commentary special where they were meant to be providing a "directors commentary" to one of their earlier episodes. They gave up on that about 3 minutes in and it's wonderful.

Okay gotcha. I had the volume turned down low and was like, WTF am I hearing? Is some other tab paying audio right now?

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    The unlistenable cacophony of them trying to talk over another podcast at the start is one of my favorite bits ever

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Its good to be reminded on occasion that sometimes I'm presented with things other people enjoy and I cannot fathom it on any level

keeps me grounded

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    Its good to be reminded on occasion that sometimes I'm presented with things other people enjoy and I cannot fathom it on any level

keeps me grounded

My man if that is a cumulative effect, you must be halfway to Earth's core by this point

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Apparently Survive has you put in your "real name" when making a character and then shows a cut scene of someone at Mother Base putting you in the ros

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Naphtali wrote: »
    so, last boss of the DLC
    So as far as I'm aware, there's no direct connection to the Pthumerians and Kos/Orphan, at least stated in game besides their general relation to the Great Ones. I assume the Pthumerians mostly had contact with Oedon, due to their ability to control blood as a weapon (the Queen, and the abilities granted to Vilebloods/Maria). The story is so open-ended pretty much any interpretation of events/motivations for the Great Ones you can give could fit.

Per the game, the body of Kos washes up off the Fishing Hamlet. The nascent hunters & researchers of Byrgenwerth are dispatched there, and violate the now mutated villagers seeking to understand what happened to them due to the Great One's influence. What may or may not have happened there, including to the unborn Orphan is left up to the viewer's interpretation, aside from the fact it so disgusted Maria she gave up her weapons. And Gehrman is clearly tormented by the Orphan's influence via the Hunter's Nightmare, you even get that small audio clue of his crying overlayed with the Orphan's at the end of the cut-scene before the fight, and the Doll's dialog to you should you kill the Orphan before the end of the game.

But given the whole, layered realities, even dying physically isn't death dying for Great Ones (or even Queen Yharnam), I don't suppose reverse causation and non-euclidean time stuff isn't out of the question here either.

Thanks, I just wanted to be sure. This means I can workshop my own theories without having missed an esteblished connection.

also I have fallen down a Bloodborne fansong youtube hole and I never wanna climb out

https://youtu.be/yYdxC6AEKz4

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options

keeps me grounded

Isn't this like, several times a day though?

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I'm constantly confronted with apalling objectively unenjoyable utterly meritless entertainments every single day of my life, you don't see me goin around talkin about it

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Apparently Survive has you put in your "real name" when making a character and then shows a cut scene of someone at Mother Base putting you in the ros

In the what

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

The top-billed writer in the credits is a company.

• Options
    edited February 2018
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

keeps me grounded

Usually I can sort of get the appeal of a thing, even if it doesn't work for me

Like I get WHY monster hunter should be cool, even if I don't like it

But I seriously couldn't even understand what they were saying on that because of the overlaying

But also I have trouble understanding people in restaurants so maybe thats a me problem

Chincymcchilla on
    I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options

keeps me grounded

But I seriously couldn't even understand what they were saying on that because of the overlaying

But also I have trouble understanding people in restaurants so maybe thats a me problem

I'm just razzing you buddy

• Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular

keeps me grounded

See, sometimes people wanna pay money to eat food they don't have to prepare

sig.gif
  • Options

In the what
    A draft that wasn't supposed to post! I misread a Dan Ryckert tweet

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Your shame, revealed

• Options
    President EvilPresident Evil Let's Rock Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    I'm not sure I'm liking RUTRRM. I'm 44 minutes in and they've only gone through the members of the band once.

I'm still not sure who's hitting those circles or strumming those 4-string guitars.

I’m only 24 minutes in myself, and while I agree, I feel like I’ve now definitely at least heard of R.E.M., so I’m not going to complain.

President Evil on
  • Options
    SimBen wrote: »

keeps me grounded

See, sometimes people wanna pay money to eat food they don't have to prepare

Idiots, you can just make pancakes at home

• Options
    Your shame, revealed
    My shame is never not revealed

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options

I’m only 24 minutes in myself, and while I agree, I feel like I’ve now definitely at least heard of R.E.M., so I’m not going to complain.

Wait this is the first time you’ve heard of REM?

Roll me into my coffin right now, because my ancient form can’t last too much longer.

• Options
    Even if you've never heard of REM you experience it every night!

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    Even if you've never heard of REM you experience it every night!

Fuck

This discussion has been closed.