As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

East 2018 [Hotel] Partners and Discussion

• ScoJoMoScoJoMo Registered User regular
    Seems like Sunday is consistently a hard day to get at the Westin, year in and year out.

I feel like Wednesday has been the harder one this PAX personally. Got a Thursday-Saturday first. Then snagged a Saturday-Sunday later that day. And then finally got the Wednesday-Thursday a couple days ago. Surprised by how many Westin rooms have been up for extended periods of time this year.

Wednesday has been an absolute unicorn this year, for some reason.

• EscoBladesEscoBlades Product Marketing Manager at Ubisoft Registered User regular
    I grabbed the Courtyard downtown, but through a 3rd party site, because it was cheaper than On Peak.

tHBv9m5.png
    Product Marketing Manager on Watch Dogs: Legion
    Youtube | Twitter
  • MephistoN7MephistoN7 Sexual Tyrannosaurus Keene, NHRegistered User regular
    Seems like Sunday is consistently a hard day to get at the Westin, year in and year out.

So I managed to get a Thursday through Saturday at Westin the other day, but obviously needed Wednesday and Sunday. Wednesday ended up appearing finally, but I actually wound up booking Sunday through Hotels.com for only an extra $30 (if you pay now, $299 if you pay there).

Again, I ask the obvious: is it April yet?

erdub14zr3u2.png

• ironysparklesironysparkles Lowell, MARegistered User regular
    Husband had been checking the hotel site every day and finally snagged the Seaport, and then finally the Westin. Upgrade, woot!

UyhWici.png
  • starNOstarstarNOstar Buffalo, NYRegistered User regular
    Has anyone had their hotel already showing their reservation if you booked thru OnPeak? The Element doesn't show it yet, and i'm getting antsy

5fhxvn385q28.png
  • NFGNFG NintendoFanGirl Registered User regular
    starNOstar wrote: »
    Has anyone had their hotel already showing their reservation if you booked thru OnPeak? The Element doesn't show it yet, and i'm getting antsy

This doesn't happen until significantly closer to the con. I think the Element was the week before last year.

S2ieAvx.png
    NFG wrote: »

This doesn't happen until significantly closer to the con. I think the Element was the week before last year.

Thanks! I know it doesn't until closer to the show, was just hoping. I booked thru OnPeak at the Revere a few years ago with no issue, but still

5fhxvn385q28.png
  • craiolacraiola MARegistered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Rooms are available at Aloft, Seaport, and Westin right now, including double bedded rooms!
    Edit: There are some single beds for the Element as well

craiola on
    DXLJjjr.png
  • ervtronervtron PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    Just freed up a thurs-sunday at the Seaport if anyone is looking! but why....why are wednesdays so elusive??!!?!

• sammillssammills NJRegistered User regular
    Same, just looking for a Wednesday @ either the Element or Westin.

For anyone who has stayed at both the Westin & Element, which did you prefer?
    I stayed at the Element last year and really liked the room space with the kitchens & free breakfast, but I also like the idea of the Westin for cosplays.

yJyIjnX.png

sammills wrote: »
    Same, just looking for a Wednesday @ either the Element or Westin.

For anyone who has stayed at both the Westin & Element, which did you prefer?
    I stayed at the Element last year and really liked the room space with the kitchens & free breakfast, but I also like the idea of the Westin for cosplays.

I think you already know the right answer. I’ve stayed in both, I LOVE the element, but the convenience of the Westin for cosplays really can’t be beat. Especially if we get another con like last year with incredibly bad weather.

I’ll also throw out there that the Westin is far superior for people who like to party a bit and bring the party back to the con. The element is very close but walking back and forth is still a pain, especially when it’s cold and dark out. If I had a choice between the two I would choose Westin every time.

S2ieAvx.png
    Personally I like the element better. In the case of this year, we're in early April so it shouldn't be as cold. Also free breakfast at the element if I remember correctly.

DXLJjjr.png
    craiola wrote: »
    Personally I like the element better. In the case of this year, we're in early April so it shouldn't be as cold. Also free breakfast at the element if I remember correctly.

If I didn't cosplay I'd agree. But having the ability to not face ANY elements in cosplay is so super nice. I also like how quickly I can run back to my room and change from the Westin.

And on that note, just booked the Westin Thurs-Sun! Double beds. I don't need Wednesday so I'm pretty hype. Still 18 rooms left, surprised!

S2ieAvx.png
    Anyone who has stayed at the Element or Aloft and drove in, have you had any problems with parking? I see they use a public lot with "limited spots allocated to the hotel" as in not guaranteed. That worries me a bit

5fhxvn385q28.png
    Anyone who has stayed at the Element or Aloft and drove in, have you had any problems with parking? I see they use a public lot with "limited spots allocated to the hotel" as in not guaranteed. That worries me a bit

Depends on when you arrive I think. I usually show up the day before con starts and have had zero issues parking at the lot next to the element. It's not a huge space though.

S2ieAvx.png

Depends on when you arrive I think. I usually show up the day before con starts and have had zero issues parking at the lot next to the element. It's not a huge space though.

Thanks! We're coming in day before too, but I figured a ton of people are as well.

5fhxvn385q28.png

The past couple of years, we've used Spot Hero and parked at nearby garages for the duration. This year it looks like The Channel Center garage (which we've used the past couple years, and is about 3/4 of a mile from the Element) is $73 for Wednesday thru Sunday. If it's your first time using it, you can find coupon codes online for 15% off. One thing to consider though, if you go that route, there's no "in and out" privileges. So, if you need your car at some point during the convention, that's probably not the best choice for you.

ScoJoMo wrote: »

The past couple of years, we've used Spot Hero and parked at nearby garages for the duration. This year it looks like The Channel Center garage (which we've used the past couple years, and is about 3/4 of a mile from the Element) is $73 for Wednesday thru Sunday. If it's your first time using it, you can find coupon codes online for 15% off. One thing to consider though, if you go that route, there's no "in and out" privileges. So, if you need your car at some point during the convention, that's probably not the best choice for you.

Thanks ScoJoMo, that's actually great to know. We never use the car other than coming in day one, then leaving on the last day. I'll look up that garage as an alt if we need it

5fhxvn385q28.png

If I didn't cosplay I'd agree. But having the ability to not face ANY elements in cosplay is so super nice. I also like how quickly I can run back to my room and change from the Westin.

And on that note, just booked the Westin Thurs-Sun! Double beds. I don't need Wednesday so I'm pretty hype. Still 18 rooms left, surprised!

I wonder if they released new rooms... that is a lot

As for parking, I can second ScoJoMo. Did that last year and saved so much money!

DXLJjjr.png
  • ishtraishtra Long IslandRegistered User regular
    Thoughts on Aloft - do they have any free breakfast like Element? Debating hotels :P

Attendee: PAX East 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018, Unplugged 2017
    ishtra wrote: »
    Thoughts on Aloft - do they have any free breakfast like Element? Debating hotels :P

Wondering the same thing. Been trying to get Element, just because the kitchen is SO key, from the start for Wednesday thru Sunday, but it's just been impossible so far. Currently have Aloft and had the same question.

• jayh0vajayh0va Registered User regular

This is a really good call, thanks for the tip! That's the cheapest I've seen in the area and it looks like they have a shuttle to BCEC on event days. Any first-timers who use the app can get $10 off with code SHFEB10.

npyymaqh3gup.png
  • Bunta_FujiwaraBunta_Fujiwara Albany, NYRegistered User regular

As much as I'd love the convenience of parking at the Westin, I just saved 100 bucks on parking alone for Wednesday- Sunday by using the app with the code, and it's only .7 miles away from the hotel. Thanks!

zmYaVYP.png

I think you already know the right answer. I’ve stayed in both, I LOVE the element, but the convenience of the Westin for cosplays really can’t be beat. Especially if we get another con like last year with incredibly bad weather.

I’ll also throw out there that the Westin is far superior for people who like to party a bit and bring the party back to the con. The element is very close but walking back and forth is still a pain, especially when it’s cold and dark out. If I had a choice between the two I would choose Westin every time.

Thank you both! I'll have to talk to my group and see what they'd prefer, but honestly it'll probably be wherever I'm able to grab a Wednesday night with how elusive they've been :P

yJyIjnX.png

edited February 2018
    sammills wrote: »
    Thank you both! I'll have to talk to my group and see what they'd prefer, but honestly it'll probably be wherever I'm able to grab a Wednesday night with how elusive they've been :P

I have stayed at the Westin for the past 3 years, but also stayed at the Element and Aloft for single nights as well. I think the skybridge alone is worth it for me. I actually dropped my Wed-Sun Element for Wed-Sun Westin. Not having to carry merch or bags around for me makes it better. The lobby atmosphere in the Westin rocks too. I spend very little time in the room, but being able to crash for a 30minute nap and run back out is great. Not having a kitchen is a stinker, but I can deal.

Bunta_Fujiwara on
    zmYaVYP.png
  • Jer1ch0Jer1ch0 Registered User regular
    ishtra wrote: »

Wondering the same thing. Been trying to get Element, just because the kitchen is SO key, from the start for Wednesday thru Sunday, but it's just been impossible so far. Currently have Aloft and had the same question.

No free Breakfast at the Aloft. It is a very cute modern hotel tho and is quite cheap for being right across the street from the con. My order of preference having stayed at all of them is Westin then Element and Aloft as third. Years ago Renaissance and Seaport were up there, but better choices closer to the show have opened.

dr5jolvtc9bn.png

• ishtraishtra Long IslandRegistered User regular
    Jer1ch0 wrote: »
    No free Breakfast at the Aloft. It is a very cute modern hotel tho and is quite cheap for being right across the street from the con. My order of preference having stayed at all of them is Westin then Element and Aloft as third. Years ago Renaissance and Seaport were up there, but better choices closer to the show have opened.

Awesome thanks. We prefer element but I only have a single bed versus Aloft double so this helps a Ton. Dropping the Aloft then :P

Attendee: PAX East 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018, Unplugged 2017
    Some more rooms up @ the Westin right now. :)

yJyIjnX.png

• TalonTalonTalonTalon Registered User regular
    How are people booking rooms at the Westin? Do they refresh Westin's actual website or the one given to us by PAX for hotel registration (https://compass.onpeak.com/e/012604497/0#hotels)?

• SolanalesSolanales CMYKMatter Registered User regular
    TalonTalon wrote: »
    How are people booking rooms at the Westin? Do they refresh Westin's actual website or the one given to us by PAX for hotel registration (https://compass.onpeak.com/e/012604497/0#hotels)?

Onpeak posts released rooms in waves from time to time. If you're still looking, it's worth it to check the onpeak page from time to time

P0P7S6y.png
    Solanales wrote: »

Onpeak posts released rooms in waves from time to time. If you're still looking, it's worth it to check the onpeak page from time to time

I'll keep refreshing then!

• MephistoN7MephistoN7 Sexual Tyrannosaurus Keene, NHRegistered User regular

Strangely, I found my Sunday room for the Westin at Hotels.com for only an extra $40 over Onpeak and just called the hotel to confirm the bookings would be merged. It's all under the same credit card, so as long as I'm cool with the minor upcharge for my last day they didn't care. :biggrin:

erdub14zr3u2.png

• SinoSambaSinoSamba CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Got Element for Wed then switching to Westin Th-Sun. First time ever to secure the Westin, looking forward to being so close to the Convention Center!

I never had to mix and match hotels before, is it normal to have 2 accounts to be able to do that on OnPeak? I have not been able to find a way to have both bookings under the same account (all of them use the same email and password though).

3DS FC: 3239-2323-6239
    SinoSamba wrote: »
    Got Element for Wed then switching to Westin Th-Sun. First time ever to secure the Westin, looking forward to being so close to the Convention Center!

I never had to mix and match hotels before, is it normal to have 2 accounts to be able to do that on OnPeak? I have not been able to find a way to have both bookings under the same account (all of them use the same email and password though).

As far as I'm aware there's no way to do this within one account, although you may be able to call OnPeak and have them combine the two reservations (don't quote me on that, might only work when it's one hotel).

S2ieAvx.png

Last week when I and others had posted about getting Westin rooms, a block of 20+ rooms had opened up. They were available for at least a full day. Just gotta be diligent! Also, subscribe to the comments on this thread so if someone posts that they're available you'll see it.

S2ieAvx.png
    still looking for double bedded Element wed night

DXLJjjr.png

Last week when I and others had posted about getting Westin rooms, a block of 20+ rooms had opened up. They were available for at least a full day. Just gotta be diligent! Also, subscribe to the comments on this thread so if someone posts that they're available you'll see it.

How do I subscribe to comments on a thread? Do I get email notifications if someone posts?

edited February 2018

How do I subscribe to comments on a thread? Do I get email notifications if someone posts?

My advice. Set your phone and home browsers homepage to the onpeak reservation site. Went from a Wednesday through Sunday Element, to a Wednesday through Sunday Westin just doing that. That way each time you open your browser you're 2 clicks away from seeing the newest closest hotels.

Bunta_Fujiwara on
    zmYaVYP.png

Yes! On mobile it’s a little star you click next to the title, on desktop it might be a little flag or something

S2ieAvx.png
  • SolanalesSolanales CMYKMatter Registered User regular
    Also good to note, some seaport and renaissance rooms opened up a bit ago if anyone is interested.

P0P7S6y.png