As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Mechanical Keyboards] Clickity Clack! We build them ourselves now!

• BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    I got a k70 lux in January. I prefer the simple red LEDs with brightness adjustment. I play in a dark room typically so it is nice to not have the red light from the keyboard distract me.

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    I actually prefer Romer-G switches. They're not cherry mx clones like Razer's mechanical switches. They're an entirely new (arguably improved) design that is more durable, with a shorter actuation travel, and better lighting, and essentially have "o-rings" built in.

The closest comparison would be Cherry MX Browns, with o-rings installed. I'm a big fan.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    I actually prefer Romer-G switches. They're not cherry mx clones like Razer's mechanical switches. They're an entirely new (arguably improved) design that is more durable, with a shorter actuation travel, and better lighting, and essentially have "o-rings" built in.

The closest comparison would be Cherry MX Browns, with o-rings installed. I'm a big fan.

Ah, I did not realize they went that far!

• DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Cherry-compatible switches have the LEDs on one side of the switch (typically top side, but I think some keyboards have the switches rotated so the LEDs are on the bottom). It has to work that way because the stem of the switch - the thing that the keycap attaches to, and the thing that pushes the contacts together when you press the key - is in the central part of the switch; the LED by necessity has to sit off to the side. Romer-G switches have a hollow space running through the center of the switch, intended precisely for the LED to fit into; the "stem" (I'm not sure if it's still called that in this case?) is a hollow box that slides up and down around the LED.

So, this means that Romer-G switches allow for more evenly-distributed LED lighting than Cherry-compatible switches. The downside is that the Cherry-compatible stem is probably the most widespread out there, whereas Romer-G is, I think, a proprietary Logitech switch. If you decide you don't like the keycaps that come with your Logitech keyboard, or if you just decide to mix it up for fun, you probably won't actually be able to find an alternative, because I'm guessing that no-one makes caps for Romer-G switches except Logitech. Meanwhile, Cherry-compatible keycaps come in various profiles, materials, colors, and design schemes (I want the Danger Zone set so bad it's not even funny).

And, mind you, all that might be totally fine! If someone isn't interested in different keycaps, and/or values center lighting more, and/or values the mechanical differences in the Romer-G more, then I suspect that's a fine switch for them.

P.S. Oh, I guess the fact that the Romer-G switch boxes in its LED also means that all the light is directed up, and none of it leaks out and under the keycaps? I think I actually don't like that too much; I like having a garish rainbow spilling out from under the caps.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    A 1959 Cherry mechanical switch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvTSLRab7Kg

• The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2018
    I'm asking here and in the PC Build thread, does anybody have any recommendations for wireless keyboards/mice for couch gaming? I have a great KBM setup for my desktop, but it's wired and pretty soon I'm going to be wanting to do some gaming on my bitchin TV and am going to need something for games that aren't played best with controllers.

So with that said, I'm open to suggestions.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    So I wasn't a big fan of the feel of silent red MX and I decided to checkout out Logitech version of mechanical switches.

So far I'm a huge fan. I love the feel, it's not too noisy, and once you train your finger to not bottom out the keys it's hella fast. It's also wireless and practically lag free! Only down side is the price.

https://www.logitechg.com/en-us/product/g613-wireless-mechanical-gaming-keyboard

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Logitech's Romer-G switches are my favorites, too. Definitely nicer than Cherry MX Red/Brown/Black.

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    this is a long shot, but is there such a thing as a decent-ish mechanical board with media controls on the left side or shoulder? Many years ago I had a rubber dome board that had media keys above the F1-5 row and I really liked the reach up with my left hand as opposed to reaching over with the right/mouse hand

I looked around a bit but it doesn't seem like anyone really makes them that way; I know I could put media shortcuts in the function layer but that winds up being almost as awkward a reach

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
    What about a Corsair with a column of macro keys to the left? I'm pretty sure youcan make them peform media functions

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    @Eat it You Nasty Pig. ASUS ROG Strix Flare

• LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    The corsair keyboards have media controls on the top right. A volume roller with play/pause/back/forward next to it.

• Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    huh somebody does make one that way, thanks for that

I wish there were some more elegant way to search for design quirks like that

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    I've been considering just buying the HAVIT "Tenkeyless" model, but I wanted to ask anyway:

Can anyone recommend a simple, reliable, and very importantly low profile tenkeyless mechanical keyboard?

Wireless isn't necessary. RGB would be nice so it matches my mouse, but really it just needs to be illuminated somehow. I'm really not choosy when it comes to switches, apparently I've been using low-profile blue switches and I think they're the bee's knees, if undoubtedly annoying to others (good thing I live alone).

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    I've been considering just buying the HAVIT "Tenkeyless" model, but I wanted to ask anyway:

Can anyone recommend a simple, reliable, and very importantly low profile tenkeyless mechanical keyboard?

Wireless isn't necessary. RGB would be nice so it matches my mouse, but really it just needs to be illuminated somehow. I'm really not choosy when it comes to switches, apparently I've been using low-profile blue switches and I think they're the bee's knees, if undoubtedly annoying to others (good thing I live alone).

My better half got a nice low-profile scissor-switch keyboard at PAXAus and it's cheap as dirt: http://cougargaming.com/products/keyboards/vantar/
    I don't know if there are ANY truly low-profile mechanical keyboards, because the switches themselves are taller than most slimline keyboards.

Synthesis wrote: »

My better half got a nice low-profile scissor-switch keyboard at PAXAus and it's cheap as dirt: http://cougargaming.com/products/keyboards/vantar/
    I don't know if there are ANY truly low-profile mechanical keyboards, because the switches themselves are taller than most slimline keyboards.

I should add, "low profile" is relative, the HAVIT models are low profile by mechanical keyboard standards but large by regular standards. And admittedly "true" low profile would become inconvenient in gaming.

I'll take a look at this one, I'm not familiar with Vantar. Thanks.

I didn't know what the HAVIT keyboard is, so I looked it up. I see that it uses Kaihl chocolate switches, which are considerably shorter than Cherry-compatible switches (here are some comparison shots for those who might not be familiar: https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/7nlw1e/kailh_low_profile_compared_with_cherry/). I think those are the shortest switches on the market right now (from a reputable manufacturer, anyway), so that's as good as you're gonna get as far as switch height is concerned.

In fact, I think this is prooobably about as low-profile a mech keyboard as you're gonna find in the commercial space. The Hexgears X-1 looks really nice, but it sounds like it has some hefty drawbacks.

If you're adventurous and comfortable with soldering and are willing to dive into the enthusiast market, I think the Zygomorph is the thinnest keyboard available (this was the designer's explicit goal). It's going to get a LOT more expensive, though, because to get a full keyboard you will need to get two sets of PCBs, two sets of cases/one full case (depending on whether you want the keyboard to be split or a single piece), and all the switches and keycaps to fill out the keyboard. That's waaaaay more expensive than a plain ol' pre-built commercial keyboard, not to mention that you would need to assemble it yourself. And, uh, an ortholinear 60% layout may not be what you're looking for in a keyboard anyway.

No DIY keyboards, thank you. Especially ones where you're paying to do the building.

That's very informative though, thank you. That "X-1" looks like it wouldn't be particularly well suited towards gaming anyway, so I might just end up picking up another HAVIT, either the "tenkeyless" or the full size one.

I don't think any of those are particularly low-profile, though.

So, a couple of years ago I decided to bring my shitty old mechanical keyboard to work to replace the garbage one I had at my desk. I had just upgraded my home setup from a Cherry MX Red 1st Gen Corsair K70, so that became my new work keyboard.

After a couple of years, I realized my work keyboard gets about 10x more usage than my home one so it was time to upgrade to a something I'd like more at work.

To that end, I just picked up a Ducky One with Cherry MX Speed switches to bring to work. I've always liked Reds the best, so I figure the Speeds should be good, too. Just noodling around with it at home so far, and I really like this thing. I could live without the backlight, but this was a cheap open box model at Micro Center, so I can just turn off the lighting.

Now to start looking for a nice PBT doubleshot keycap set...

• LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    So, a couple of years ago I decided to bring my shitty old mechanical keyboard to work to replace the garbage one I had at my desk. I had just upgraded my home setup from a Cherry MX Red 1st Gen Corsair K70, so that became my new work keyboard.

After a couple of years, I realized my work keyboard gets about 10x more usage than my home one so it was time to upgrade to a something I'd like more at work.

To that end, I just picked up a Ducky One with Cherry MX Speed switches to bring to work. I've always liked Reds the best, so I figure the Speeds should be good, too. Just noodling around with it at home so far, and I really like this thing. I could live without the backlight, but this was a cheap open box model at Micro Center, so I can just turn off the lighting.

You should try to find a keyboard with the gateron reds. They feel even better to me than cherry's.

this was a cheap open box model at Micro Center, so I can just turn off the lighting.

I really like the aesthetic of this but don't have the funds:
    https://www.massdrop.com/buy/danger-zone-sa-keycap-set

Also I should start talking to my computer hardware guys at work to see if I can get a mech. I'm not allowed to bring in stuff like that from home.

LD50 wrote: »

You should try to find a keyboard with the gateron reds. They feel even better to me than cherry's.

You should also be careful, as I've seen a lot of stuff that makes me question their reliability.

That's the thing with Cherry: Shit is battle tested.

• mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    Yea i picked up a ducky shine cherry black for work a bit ago. Love it. I could do without the backlit but it turns down well enough

camo_sig.png
    edited January 2019
    Mugsley wrote: »
    this was a cheap open box model at Micro Center, so I can just turn off the lighting.

I really like the aesthetic of this but don't have the funds:
    https://www.massdrop.com/buy/danger-zone-sa-keycap-set

Also I should start talking to my computer hardware guys at work to see if I can get a mech. I'm not allowed to bring in stuff like that from home.
    When I started getting into mech keyboards, Danger Zone was the first keycap set that I saw that was fancy (meaning, a profile other than OEM, colors other than the standard white/black/grey/beige, etc). I didn't know that keycaps could look like that. I understood right then why people might want to get custom keycap sets, and just kinda fell in love. This is only the second time the set's been offered since (with a minor change: the original set was SA uniform profile, this one is SA sculpted profile), so I am very excited.

The disappointing thing, though, is that this drop is a m e s s organization-wise. To start with, the drop launched only with the first four kits described and priced out - the other four kits were added a few days later. Granted, for most people with "standard" ANSI keyboards - either a regular, full, 100% keyboard, or a tenkeyless keyboard - those kits would be enough. On the other hand, it's fair to assume that a non-trivial number of dorks who buy stuff in the Massdrop mech keyboard section are going to be mech keyboard dorks, with non-standard keyboards, so they were kinda getting antsy.

Then there's the way the kits are organized. For 100% and tenkeyless boards, your options are pricey but pretty straightfoward: buy the "Alphas" kit and the "Modifiers" kit to fill out a tenkeyless keyboard, get the "Numpad" kit if you have a 100% keyboard or a separate keypad. For everything else, this drop kinda screws them. The "Ortholinear" set doesn't have arrows, and the ErgoDox set is just a joke: not only is the set done entirely in the R3 profile (the "neutral" row in an SA sculpted profile), so it won't match the fully-sculpted alphas kit, but the kit doesn't even have enough 1u keycaps to fully cover an ErgoDox! You would need to buy at least one of the other kits, possibly two, just to cover the keyboard. It's just incomprehensible to me. There's no option for Colemak/Dvorak layouts, there's no kit for Nordic countries, etc. All of these are niches-within-niches, and probably not financially viable, so I understand why they're not offered, but quite a few sets do offer them; look at how comprehensive the Carbon SA drop was.

The designer said - after some complaints and some requests in the comments section - that he's adding a couple of smaller kits to the drop (a separate arrows kit, a kit for different-sized space bars, etc), but at the time of this writing there are four days left on the drop and those kits still haven't been added. I went in for the Alphas + Modifiers kits, so at least I'll be able to cover a regular keyboard, but I primarily use an ErgoDox at home and was hoping to get the ErgoDox kit as well in case I ever wanted to put it on there. Very disappointed to see such a long-awaited kit dismiss these corners of mech keyboard community.

EDIT: Alright, they've added the smaller kits. They're mostly just reskins of some existing keys: F1-F12 keys, arrow keys, and space bars in alt colors, as well as a set of shorter space bars for enthusiast keyboards with non-standard or split layouts (some ortholinear keyboards use a 2u spacebar, the VE.A is a split keyboard with a shortened space bar on each half, etc.). That's nice for visual options, and the separate arrows are good for owners of ortho keyboards, but the ErgoDox is still short shrifted.

Delduwath on
    Top: old/busted
    Bottom: new/hotness

ciydsyvgh35i.jpg

I'm assuming a DAS or a K70 are both Alphas + Modifiers + Nums?

edited January 2019
    Mugsley wrote: »
    I'm assuming a DAS or a K70 are both Alphas + Modifiers + Nums?
    If we're talking in the context of the SA Danger Zone set discussed earlier, then a Das would be Alphas + Modifiers + Nums (I think all models of the Das Keyboard have a numpad, right? Either way, that part's very obvious to figure out.)

The K70, though, is a problem. One of the reasons the mech keyboard community shakes its collective head sadly at most gaming keyboards - Corsair ones especially - is because they typically have non-standard bottom rows. Here's a page with some comparison graphics:
    http://www.maxkeyboard.com/mechanical-keycap-layout-and-size-chart.html

You can see that the K70 has a longer space bar, and some of the other keys in the bottom row are wider-than-standard and some are narrower-than-standard. This makes it very difficult to find custom keycap sets that would fit a K70; the SA Danger Zone drop in particular doesn't offer a 6.5u space bar at all, in any of its kits, and as far as I can tell the Modifiers kit doesn't have enough keys of the right sizes to cover the other keys in the K70's bottom row.

EDIT: Yeah, K70 has 3 1u keys in the bottom row (I believe the two OS keys and the Menu key) and the Modifiers kit only offers two, which are labeled "SUPER" and "META" (throwbacks to what a keyboard from decades ago might have). You'd have to (1) Be OK with having those labels on two of the keys, and (2) find another R3-profile 1u key from somewhere. The Modifiers kit DOES have an R4 1u key with the Danger Zone logo (I think it + a shorter Shift key are intended for keyboards that have a split right Shift key), so if you don't mind one key in the bottom row being in a mismatching profile, you could use that.

Delduwath on
    See a direct comparison between a standard (1.25, 1.25, 1.25) modifier set on the bottom, vs. Corsair's dumb 1.5, 1, 1.25 sizing on the top. By far the most annoying thing about most gaming keyboards. That weird sizing throws me off all the time. I wouldn't need their special features to disable the Windows key while gmaing if they just sized their keys normally.

ij05vh963tvd.jpg

Excuse the drrrrrrty.

I'm stealing your fingerprint from that Shift key in the top photo. And committing crimes with it.

That useless finger can't even be used to unlock my phone. You can have it. I'm keeping the important ones, though.

So, you're giving me the finger?

Fuck, now I'm torn. I know if make my money back if I ever sold the key set but it's ~$145 for Alphas + Modifiers + Nums and I only paid 50 bucks for the board. D:

And yeah, I'll double check another cap set I have here and may end up selling it if it can't fit the K70. My DAS isn't backlit and the keyset I bought is made for backlighting.

edited January 2019
    Looks like I may end up buying a Corsair K55 for work because it's cheap and I can run it as a second keyboard for all of the damn macros and dispatch forms I have to do.

I don't even think I need Autohotkey and iCue can just run that shit.

jungleroomx on
  • RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Mechanical keyboard thread!
    I want to build my own keyboard. I'm not afraid of soldering, and can do that. I also have a CNC machine so I've been thinking about making my own keycaps. Anyone able to point to a fairly cheap kit? Or a standard board/components? Not really sure where to start, so figured I'd ask.
    @minor incident suggested a article that suggested clueboard.co, but wondering if there are other good places.

I could mill out my own case as well but I'd like a starting model to work with.
    Also have access to a 3d printer as well, so that might be a good option to print out a case.

PSN: jfrofl
    I would highly recommend checking out /r/mechanicalkeyboards - they don't come up often, but 3D-printed cases/keycaps are definitely a recurring thing on there.

People sharing photos of keyboards they put together themselves is even more prevalent.

• ThawmusThawmus +Jackface Registered User regular
    While I can offer no assistance nor advice on the matter, I seriously hope @Radiation posts pictures when he's done. :smile:

Twitch: Thawmus83
  • RadiationRadiation Registered User regular
    Hah! This has actually been a bit of a wild ride of rabbit holes to go down. Initially I was thinking it'd be cool to have an aluminum case that I milled out with a darker wood keycaps that I also CNCed out, so I was mostly looking at kits that I could get for cheap to work with dimensions.

I have one I bought on amazon a few years back that at least gives me a test bed for keycaps I think I'm going to start on trying that out.

I do worry the individual keys will be heavier which will impact some of the springback and pressure required since I will need to go thicker in the wood for sturdiness and wood is denser than the plastic.

PSN: jfrofl