As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

User Avatar Gifs flashing in odd places.

I've spotted this twice this morning. First time was an animated avatar appearing in its usual place but also flashing slightly above where it should be. The second time was similar but it happened with the tiny avatar on a reaction. Scrolling past the flashing avatar gets rid of it. It might just be an issue with my browser, but I'm posting in case it's something other people have seen too.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Can you link me to an example

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    It doesn't seem to be repeatable. I most recently saw it on this post in the webcomics thread, Brolo's agree avatar was doing it. It disappeared when I changed tabs.

fakedit- I just saw another example, tried to take a screenshot of it, missed. But the act of opening my start menu fixed it. Basically, any time the flashing gif is hidden, whether by scrolling, tabbing, or something in front of it, it fixes itself. I'd guess the issue is on my end then.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    You using Chrome? I started having this too this weekend, sounds like a Chrome rendering issue to me.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Echo wrote: »
    You using Chrome? I started having this too this weekend, sounds like a Chrome rendering issue to me.

I've been having this too on Chrome, but I've only noticed it Friday and today just now at work. My home PC with Chrome couldn't replicate it.

FWIW, it seems to only be happening to animated avatars and the smaller copy of the avatar used in reaction icons under a post.

Naphtali on
    Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    I get this now while using Chrome on my work PC but not Chrome on my home PC.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    I just recently got a new PC and thought it might be related to that, but I guess not. Also showing up on Chrome for me, typically for avatars or some banners.

We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    I managed to get a screenshot of it:

iThRpED.png

The part not showing is that phantom image blinks fast.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    This is now happening to me too which moves it to A++ Important Status

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    This strikes me as a chrome issue. I've seen it once or twice and its resolved by scrolling or moving the application itself.

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    I haven't seen it on other sites, though the vast majority of gifs I see each day are through this forum, so it could just be that I haven't seen it yet. It also seems to only affect animated avatars. I don't recall it happening with any other gif on this forum.

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    I'm also on chrome, and have been having this issue.

So far it's only been on the forums though, I haven't seen it happen on any other sites. At least not that I've noticed.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    Apparently this affects Chrome on several platforms, keeps happening to me both on Windows and on Android.

MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Chalk up another on Chrome on Android. Though, I only noticed it a few days ago and I think there was an app update in the last couple of weeks.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    It's happening for me (Win 10 / Chrome)
    It's only been happening since I updated Chrome to Version 64.0.3282.140, not sure what version I had before.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    We've not received anything about this from other forums as of this moment, and I can no longer replicate it. I saw it once with SIGs avatar and it promptly never occured again. I'm also on 64.0.3282.140.

I dont think we do anything particularly weird to avatars, and I cant find a trigger to replicate it at all. The only think I can think of is chrome having trouble rendering the gifs when they are resized, but we haven't made any changes in the area recently.

• Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    edited February 2018
    I've only just had this start happening in the last half hour, and only with KoopahTroopah's avatar so far. Both in the agree/awesome avatar and the main profile.

Chrome version 64.0.3282.140. also, on windows 10.

Edit: Noticed it again on a different avatar, though switching tabs seems to fix it. Weird rendering glitch?

Shimshai on
    Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    So I think I might have something to help you guys track it down:

fakcfanqkb73.png
    https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/39061752/#Comment_39061752

That user at the beginning there is this profile: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/profile/discussions/youtube

And I've been seeing that happen occasionally here and there with their username specifically, they don't get an avatar mini picture like the rest of us. I'm wondering if "youtube" using a reaction and not being the first is causing those other issues. E: Or doing it somewhere else on the page.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Just saw this in the Snugglehug thread, and I think I can recreate. Though it took about 10 minutes of trying and is inconsistent.

Chrome, with the developer tools turned on, set to Network with "Disable Cache" enabled.

https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/39063007/#Comment_39063007

@OmnipotentBagel 's avatar will blink if the loading of graphics lines up just right. At the time it was blinking, I had a spinning wheel on the tab.

There was an extremely long delay trying to request https://vanillicon.com/sprites/sprites-14-ff3139.png.

Sometimes the page loads instantly, sometimes not. I think the distance between the flashing avatar and the real one is about 1 mouse wheel rotation length (so like 3 lines or something). I might have moved the mouse while the page was loading. It also looks roughly the size of one image loading, though I don't know which one.

I made a .har file of the developer console output, but the forums are saying it is too large to upload. Let me know if that would be of interest to you.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Just got it on @So It Goes 's avatar. First time I've seen it on a full avatar and not the icons on the bottom.

https://youtu.be/GeHJT3QggS8

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    I have just seen this for the first time (chrome updated last night so that's probably why). This has got to be a rendering bug. I don't think you could make a gif do that using html/css without some sort of inhumane canvas torturing and that certainly isn't going on here.

• Options
    Yeah, there gas to be something new in Chrome. I just saw this for the first time on mobile, after updating my phone OS and reinstalling chrome.

i8vnjagkgmgv.png

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    This is happening with animated .gif signatures as well for me, which is super bad as it covers the text in posts.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    This is happening with animated .gif signatures as well for me, which is super bad as it covers the text in posts.

It should go away if you scroll far enough.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Yeah, this is totally just a general chrome issue. I've had it happen on other sites too. I don't think it has anything to do with the forum

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    @Spoit What other sites are you seeing it on, out of curiosity? I would love to track down some people trying to debug the error, but I've not found anything.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Iruka wrote: »
    Spoit What other sites are you seeing it on, out of curiosity? I would love to track down some people trying to debug the error, but I've not found anything.

ResetERA for sure, given their propensity for spamming image macros, but I think I've seen it with the avatars on various other xenforum er....forums. I want to say I've also seen it with the headline pictures on random other websites, like CNN or whatever, but I'm not 100% sure I'm remembering correctly

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Today I saw this happen on mobile with Engadget. I'm glad that its not some shit in our software, but also annoyed that its happening. Hopefully this will go away in the next chrome update

• Options
    Anarchy Rules!Anarchy Rules! Registered User regular
    I've started seeing it on Facebook, specifically the 'seen by' icons in Messenger floating around (on Chrome)