As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The [chat] Who Circumnavigated Fairyland

• Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    m!ttens wrote: »
    Today I went out to the other side of town that has fancy art supplies and bought a nice piece of paper for making prints and a pad of nice drawing paper for doing some tests. Then after we got home of course I had to immediately go make a test print from my linocut. Here is the second test print that I made (N.B. I bumped up the brightness in the image because it's a little dim in my basement):

WXWHLh6.png?1

I'm going to carve off some of those high marks on the outside to get a cleaner print and maybe get some of the slightly smudgier cells on the inside. The final printing paper is a really nice creamy color. Then it's off to go figure out a nice matte and frame and my wife's xmas gift will be complete!

Next projects I'm considering are an Ex Libris stamp (maybe a 2"x3" size) with a doodle of my dog curled up sleeping and another 5"x7" block print of one of my dogs' heads (or maybe I can do one of each).

Sorry its late, but to save costs I get my pupils to practice using polystyrene sheets and a pen to create a quick print. Its a great way of trying out ideas without using up expensive Lino. The other thing I know artists such as Angie Lewin use is the back end of a spoon to help spread the ink out further during the transfer process giving a nice even layer.

• Options
    arinyaarinya Registered User regular
    I'm creating a comic book and would like to print a small run of books. A couple hundred. There are options online that cater to comic books but I am worried about the quality from places like Print Ninja and KaBlam. Have any of you used the online options? How close to a comic book is the paper? What is the registration and color quality like? Any of you know?

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    arinya wrote: »
    I'm creating a comic book and would like to print a small run of books. A couple hundred. There are options online that cater to comic books but I am worried about the quality from places like Print Ninja and KaBlam. Have any of you used the online options? How close to a comic book is the paper? What is the registration and color quality like? Any of you know?

How big/small of a run are you talking? For something like this I would recommend a local business print vendor. They are going to be a little more expensive but they will hold your hand through the process and you can go to their shop and do press checks and stuff.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    @arinya new threads are for art cirts.

I printed a book with Kablam and had no complaints about the printing quality, but it'll generally take a while to receive your books.

Kablam I thinks has prices for individual books, so you can sink a relatively low level of cost into printing one, and then ask them to print 200 of the same thing once its all together.

• Options
    arinyaarinya Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Doodmann wrote: »
    How big/small of a run are you talking?

Between 200 to 500. I used to work for a print shop. So I know that a run that small is usually not work it. Unless you got digital. Which I kinda don't want to.
    Iruka wrote: »
    @arinya new threads are for art cirts.

I printed a book with Kablam and had no complaints about the printing quality, but it'll generally take a while to receive your books.

Kablam I thinks has prices for individual books, so you can sink a relatively low level of cost into printing one, and then ask them to print 200 of the same thing once its all together.
    I remember reading that the books from Kablam don't feel like a comic book. They print on a heavier stock of paper. But I had not thought about just getting one printed or asking for a sample.

OH! Wait what happened to my post?????

arinya on
  • Options
    I split it into the chat thread, I usually give people a heads up, but I was in the middle of some shit. New threads are for art, but you can ask questions in here (or in the lesser used subforum for questions and resources.)

I printed a zine with kablam, and I would say the full color printing is magazine like, but I believe they have different stocks to choose from. If you have the time, printing a sample is the way to go. They communicate well (at least they did with me).

• Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    Alrighty.

Maybe no more technical pens for a little while.

I spent the last week, maybe 10 to 12 hours total working on a thing for a tshirt design and on the final stretch I guess there was some air pressure and it just spit a blob of ink right onto the center of the line work.

Whatever I wasn't super happy with it anyway. So I spend almost 8 hours yesterday banging out a way better design and I had maybe an hours worth of work to finish it and... it fucking spit a blob of ink right into the center of the line work.

So that's roughly 20 hours of serious work right down the drain and I am currently rage drinking.

I went ahead and ordered a new set. I'm hoping maintaining brand new pens will be a lot easier than trying to rehabilitate these old ones.

• Options
    Juggernut wrote: »
    Alrighty.

Maybe no more technical pens for a little while.

I spent the last week, maybe 10 to 12 hours total working on a thing for a tshirt design and on the final stretch I guess there was some air pressure and it just spit a blob of ink right onto the center of the line work.

Whatever I wasn't super happy with it anyway. So I spend almost 8 hours yesterday banging out a way better design and I had maybe an hours worth of work to finish it and... it fucking spit a blob of ink right into the center of the line work.

So that's roughly 20 hours of serious work right down the drain and I am currently rage drinking.

I went ahead and ordered a new set. I'm hoping maintaining brand new pens will be a lot easier than trying to rehabilitate these old ones.

Since its for a tee and has to get scanned/processed and color separated...just finish it / fix it digitally?

I like to ART
  • Options
    JuggernutJuggernut Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Unfortunately I don't think I can. I use stippling in most of my work and the amount of effort it would take me, a Photoshop illiterate boob, to fix it would probably take about the same amount of time as starting over once you factor in all the tutorials on YouTube I'd have to watch.

Edit: I guess I could give it a shot at least.

Juggernut on
  • Options
    BlindPsychicBlindPsychic Registered User regular
    Stippling you could do with a mouse and a round brush, it would make the same mark with every click

• Options
    edited January 2018
    Juggernut wrote: »
    Unfortunately I don't think I can. I use stippling in most of my work and the amount of effort it would take me, a Photoshop illiterate boob, to fix it would probably take about the same amount of time as starting over once you factor in all the tutorials on YouTube I'd have to watch.

Edit: I guess I could give it a shot at least.

I can probably do it in 15 min tonight. Just send me that sketch of swolo as payment. :razz:

Doodmann on
    I like to ART
  • Options
    Alternatively, scan it blot out the mistake, and print it (locally on relatively nice paper, if you can), then finish it.

Alternatively to that, Put a paper of the same material over the area with double sided tape, continue as normal, remove the slight shadow from the paper width difference in photoshop after scanning (happy to help with this)

Alternative to that, fuckin' white out my dude.

I understand just moving on if you were unhappy, but there are some never-say-die fixes the digital age has for you.

• Options
    I found a drawing challenge for February if anyone is interest, maybe a thread?

I like to ART
  • Options
    I could not stop reading that as "Dungeon Draw Wing Dudes" and it was extremely confusing.

I'll be a bit too busy for it, but feel free to make a thread if you do it!

• Options
    https://www.engadget.com/2018/02/01/google-universal-stylus-initiative/

Google is joining the initiative to potentially make styluses device independent. This is interesting, and might really open up the tablet market in terms of how locked down your work space has to be driver and device wise. I suspect we wont see much from this in a while, but, interesting to note.

• Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    I'm super excited for that to happen

• Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    Any of you guys playing monster Hunter on PS4?

• Options
    I think @bombardier is! I'm too intimidated by it, also I got a lot of overwatch going on.

• Options
    edited February 2018
    Current garage setup:

Doodmann on
    I like to ART
  • Options
    m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Anyone seen Black Panther yet? My girlfriend and I are debating whether to catch that or Three Billboards tonight. We're not very much superhero movie people, and she was sorely disappointed with Wonder Woman. If anything we'd watch it because it seems like a cultural hallmark, but if it's the same as Wonder Woman I think we'll pass.
    The soundtrack does seem pretty dope tho.

edit: Three Billboards was pretty disappointing. Should've seen Black Panther... oh well.

m3nace on
  • Options
    @m3nace It seems like 3 billboards is not living up to some of the critical acclaim it seems to have. I've read about it a bit and it seems like its not for me. I cannot fucking wait to see black panther though.

@Doodmann I am so ridiculously jealous right now

• Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    Flay wrote: »

Man, I would love to... I'm in a serious "wanting to finish the games I have" funk though. I used to never play a new game until I'd finished the last one I bought (thanks for ruining that for me STEAM!!!). Time seems much more scarce the older I get, can't even imagine what that would be like having kids on top of that.

Bummer about Three Billboards :/ was hoping it'd be one for the books. Also really looking forward to Black Panther, Wakanda always seemed so dreamy and mysterious in the comics - really want to see it in motion!

• Options
    Flay wrote: »

Man, I would love to... I'm in a serious "wanting to finish the games I have" funk though. I used to never play a new game until I'd finished the last one I bought (thanks for ruining that for me STEAM!!!). Time seems much more scarce the older I get, can't even imagine what that would be like having kids on top of that.

Yeah, I recently decided that since I was in the VG industry and all I should probably be playing more than like, 1 game per year- so I started a wordpad doc to keep track of my backlog and how long all that stuff will take to beat (thanks https://howlongtobeat.com/ ), so I can keep tabs on my accrued game time debt balance. This may be the nerdiest bullshit I've ever done, but I have managed to finish 5 AAA-length games and 4 short 1-4 hour indie games this year so far. (If only I had that level of dedication when it came to regulating my diet or working out.)

I have a rule for when it's ok to go buy a new console ("When there are at least 3 games for it that I really feel I have to play"), but I think I need to figure out some good rules about when it make sense to buy new games ("less than 100 hours of aggregate game time left", maybe?), and when it's ok to knock stuff off my backlog list without finishing it ("gave it at least an hour of my time and still wasn't feeling it?") or without having even started it ("Do I really want to play LOOM? A game that I bought in a Lucasarts compilation and all I know about is that it is referenced as a joke in Monkey Island 1?")

• Options
    SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited February 2018
    What's up everyone!

Y'all better pick up the pace in the doodle thread, or I'm going to publicly shame you by clogging it with my work. :P

I'll probably have something to post tomorrow. So y'all have been warned!

(Oh, also I moved to Oregon and weed is legal out here. Which is cool.)

Sublimus on
  • Options
    weatheredclownweatheredclown Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Not sure how this will go over, but wanted to pass along a link to a somewhat Penny Arcade DeviantArt contest that I am running.

Setting the stage:
    Not sure how well the Elemenstor Saga is remembered. (Referenced by the strip originally in November of 2005.)

From it was spawned a wiki where I was pretty active (which got me a special thanks in Epic Legends of the Magic Sword Kings that had me quite chuffed). Gabe drew a b/w image of The Wizbits that I created the canonical colorization for.

The pitch:
    Although in the fiction of the wiki, The Wizbits we're reviled.. It's source anime ElamenSTAR was beloved. I am running a contest where people post "fan art" for an anticipated reboot of the anime (out together by original produced Tomono Shuuan) in the same spirit as the saga, without recognition that the franchise is not in fact real.

Here is the link: https://weatheredclown.deviantart.com/journal/DeviantArt-Contest-as-Performance-Art-732038820

Figured I would bring a mention of it here where the intersection of artists and Penny Arcade fans is bound to be high.

Here is are a few misc pieces of fan art related to the series (or The Wizbits, it's derivative franchise) to give you an idea of what the source inspiration looks like:
    8ws7dvsmez84.jpg

wgmubhoctttu.jpg

kv9g1yheyjij.jpg

4w1uk0flqcsz.jpg

Sorry if this is unwelcome cross-site promotion, but hopefully this is an interesting enough to people to warrant the post!

-clown

Iruka on
    "Remember, there are no stupid questions. Just stupid people with inquisitive minds."
  • Options
    edited February 2018
    Threw the images in a spoiler. I'm not sure DA points really count for much to anyone, or that PA deep cuts would inspire much from the old salt that frequents the AC these days. I haven't even looked at my deviant art profile in two years.

@Sublimus I hope Oregon treats you well. Where are all the nature photos, man? I thought we'd be seeing all the landscapes already, or is the weather not pleasant, yet?

@Angel_of_Bacon I have an unwarranted curiosity about whats currently in that word doc. What games are you planning to work through?

Iruka on
  • Options
    @Iruka Yeah... I haven't gotten out on any adventures yet. Still kind of settling in. I finally have a desk and a chair now, so I'm almost feeling like I have the basics?? Had a long weekend this past weekend and was going to head on an adventure, but it was raining all weekend (It rains all winter here, apparently).

I'll be heading to the Schoolism Live in Seattle in like two weeks, so a few photos for that hopefully. And then yeah, I need to get to a mountain!

• Options
    weatheredclownweatheredclown Registered User regular
    @Iruka thanks for the spoiler tags.. was totally thinking it needed them when I saw the scroll space they we're taking up. As for the DA points, you are right that they are worthless outside of the DA context, I was more thinking that people within this forum may want to participate for the novelty rather than the reward. :biggrin:

"Remember, there are no stupid questions. Just stupid people with inquisitive minds."
  • Options
    I'm planning to do an all white on brown paper print this weekend. At least I won't have to worry about registration on this one!

I like to ART
  • Options
    @Iruka:

The List!:
    Estimated times are the stated, "Main Story Only" estimates.
    PS4
    Horizon Zero Dawn | 22hrs | 7 hrs in

Steam
    Doom (2016) | 11.5 hrs | 7hrs in
    Broken Age | 10 hrs | 46min in
    Kentucky Route Zero | 6.5 hrs | 56min in
    Ori and the Blind Forest 8.5 hrs | 43 min in
    The Marvellous Miss Take | 6.5 hrs | 25 min in
    Transistor | 6 hrs | 20 min in
    Ruiner 5.5 hrs | 17 min in
    Rumu | 2.5 hrs
    Quadrilateral Cowboy | 5.5 hrs
    FEZ | 6 hrs
    A Hat in Time | 8 hrs
    Massive Chalice | 16 hrs

2DS
    New Super Mario Bros 2 | 6hrs
    Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask | 17.5 hrs | 4hrs in
    Fire Emblem Fates: Conquest | 27 hrs

TOTALS:
    16 games
    172 hrs

Deprioritized Games:
    The Witness | 18 hrs | 9 hrs in
    Gravity Rush 2 | 20.5 hrs |
    Just Cause 3 | 17hrs

BEATEN GAMES!
    9 games

The Last Guardian
    Dishonored 2
    What Remains of Edith Finch
    Wolfenstien: The New Order
    Firewatch
    Mirror's Edge 2
    Old Man's Journey
    The Talos Principle
    Never Alone

You can see I've already kicked a couple of games down into a Deprioritized zone for various reasons (heard the end of The Witness is insufferable, Gravity Rush 2 is a good mechanic and some cool art design, but has some dated/tedious collect-the-gems kinda gameplay I wasn't very interested in, Just Cause 3 I forgot I bought and isn't the kinda game where I expect to 'play through' so much as 'turn on and blow up things until I don't want to anymore'), and some other stuff may go in there later (A Hat In Time and Massive Chalice I funded on kickstarter when that was the hip new happening thing, and 4 years later I'm like, do I actually want to play this? Maybe not so much.)

I also might do this list no favors whatsoever because I may buy Persona 5 at some point, despite me never having finished a JRPG in my life and it being very long even my very long JRPG standards (100 hours on Main Story Only, are you serious), simply because the hosts of The Polygon Show podcast talked about it for like 30 episodes straight and I want to know makes people so diehard bonkers about it.

• Options
    gavindelgavindel The reason all your software is brokenRegistered User regular
    Gotta be honest, Bacon, Persona 5 is suuuuper deep into a couple of (rather obnoxious, imo) JRPGisms. You may want to watch a Let's Play of the first dungeon or so to see if you're up for it, cause the combat and the social system both rely on full adherence to their own schedules.

Still, good job on chewing down that backlog. Put those games to use.

Book - Royal road - Free! Seraphim === TTRPG - Wuxia - Free! Seln Alora
  • Options
    Sublimus, I enjoy you pointing out the inherent problems in AC. I too am guilty of not commenting enough.

I like to ART
  • Options
    @Angel_of_Bacon

That's a pretty nice list! looking at your rejects... You probably made the right call. I really love The Witness, but I describe it as a puzzle book, its closer to doing sodoku of escalating obtuseness and difficulty than it is a video game. The reward for doing puzzles is always more puzzles. It would be perfect on the switch, and I think its a better experience as a couch co-op where you trade off control. The reward for me was having something real chill to experience with my partner.

A hat in time looks super cute, but its a collect-a-thon, and that's exactly what mario odyssey is. I opted to just get my nostalgia with nintendo. The reviews on a hat and time are really stellar, though.

Fez is one of my all time favs, but I recommend finding a low spoiler guide:
    IIRC, spending the time to find the alphabet so you can start translating the language is bullshit, and I just printed it out. Once you can translate, the obtuseness of the puzzles is mostly pleasant

Kentucky Route Zero and Broken Age are on my own list to get done, but I'm a slacker and getting 500 fucking moons in mario instead.

• Options
    Doodmann wrote: »
    Sublimus, I enjoy you pointing out the inherent problems in AC. I too am guilty of not commenting enough.

I'm gonna try to do my part to be helpful and stuff. :P

• Options
    @gavindel Yeaaaah. I try to make a point of trying stuff that I'm not sure about*, but yeaaaah. I watched the first hour of it and was intrigued, but that contained maybe 5 seconds of actual gameplay. I need to find someone who will play JRPGs for me while I hang out on the couch in pajamas, because that really seems like the ideal way to take them in.

@Iruka Well the objection with The Witness wasn't the puzzle nature of it (I did spend 9 hours on it already, after all), it was being told by a coworker that the end involved
    a video of a 2 hour long talk Jonathan Blow gave at GDC???? Really????
    and that being a pretty offputting, "I did all THAT, for THIS?!" experience.

But on puzzles, feel pretty set for those between Prof. Layton and The Talos Principle (which is also a game that could be accused of being kinda full of itself).

*On this note, I was talking to someone at work about what we each did that weekend- he, went and saw Peter Rabbit with his kids and doing some house work, and I, trying to get in my Film Buff Cred, watched the 3 hour long 1972 Russian version of the science fiction film Solaris, which had been described to me as being, "very, very slow" (spoiler: it is).
    Somewhere in this conversation I realized I might just be the world's least relateble human.

• Options
    but, Living the dream. I'm going to have the house to myself for like a full week in the first time in ages, and my plans are to become a hermit and really get serious about some podcast listening, like, solid. And thats a sentence no one should type.

It's gonna be great.

I dont think I got to the GDC video, we did not get all of the puzzles, I think you only need 200 or something to get the basic end. But.... that is a pretentious end to it for sure.

I think firewatch struck the right balance of moody artsy ness and videogame, that was an awesome winter playthrough for us. I think we consumed that whole game in a weekend.

• Options
    Firewatch I feel like if I weren't on a GOTTA KNOCK THESE GAMES OFF THE LIST sprint, probably would have benefited from a second playthrough- since left to my own devices, I'll always play the super-lawful-good route of a game, which I suspect is not the most narratively interesting option most of the time.

Dishonored 2 though I did get the bad ending, but only because the game interpreted me being very bad at the game and having to resort to uncoordinated panic-murder all the time, as my character being deliberately evil.
    Would have been happy if they'd accounted for what was really going on, and the end cutscene was just a sitcom TV intro for "Emily, The Clumsiest Tinpot Dictator!"

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Firewatch is less of a game and more of a story though. Nothing super changes between playthroughs. Less communication with Delilah I think if you don't pick the right options, or at worst slightly different responses from her?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    gavindelgavindel The reason all your software is brokenRegistered User regular
    Yeaaaah. I try to make a point of trying stuff that I'm not sure about*, but yeaaaah. I watched the first hour of it and was intrigued, but that contained maybe 5 seconds of actual gameplay. I need to find someone who will play JRPGs for me while I hang out on the couch in pajamas, because that really seems like the ideal way to take them in.

Let's Plays and Persona 5: The movie not up your alley? Admittedly, Persona 5 the movie is like 16 hours long.

Book - Royal road - Free! Seraphim === TTRPG - Wuxia - Free! Seln Alora
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    I'm playing Bayonetta1 atm so that I will hopefully be slightly less baffled at the wackyness of Bayo2...