As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I don't really wanna do the work today [Job Thread]

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    I'd just go for something simpler and more direct.

https://youtu.be/8V_hCqO6UQs

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Any of you who does more direct building things-related stuff than I do know something about fixing pneumatic chairs? Pretty sure both of the ones in my workshop are down a gasket after years of abuse; can't get either to raise anymore.

I'm fairly sure I've tracked down the manufacturer and I'm merrily digging away, but if someone has an easier answer I'll take it!

Auralynx on
    kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Pneumatic chairs? Do you mean like office chairs with the gas lift cylinder in them?

• Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    Liiya wrote: »
    Sassori wrote: »
    @Liiya

I suggest getting yourself a glockenspiel.

Or a bass...xylophone.

I will unseat his throne of obnoxiousness.

I have told people I play bass several times and I will forever cherish the change in expression when I add xylophone at the end.

You’ll enjoy it. It’s worth it.

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Pneumatic chairs? Do you mean like office chairs with the gas lift cylinder in them?

Yep. Think I have it sorted out now but wouldn't mind input if someone's done it.

Mine are technically workbench ones so I think I need a larger cylinder but otherwise the process seems to be the same.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    One of my classmates in the year below is being That Guy who brings his guitar in before studio tutorials and plays it while painfully waiting for someone to comment on his playing. There's only so much white noise my earphone can block out. Maybe I'm the obnoxious one for hating it. Who knows, maybe I've become The Man.

Nah, people who bring their musical instruments around with them in their day to day looking for praise or other things are obnoxious on some level.

Yea, you should listen to this song I wrote about it

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Auralynx wrote: »

Yep. Think I have it sorted out now but wouldn't mind input if someone's done it.

Mine are technically workbench ones so I think I need a larger cylinder but otherwise the process seems to be the same.

I've never heard of fixing a gas lift chair, only replacing it. I suppose if there's an office furniture place that sells parts of chairs near you you could see if they sell a cylinder you could replace yours with, but typically these chairs are disposable (yes even the $1000 "gamer" chairs) and not meant to be repaired, especially not by the home user.

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    You could try replacing them with a pneumatic air jack.

:rotate:

• Options

I've never heard of fixing a gas lift chair, only replacing it. I suppose if there's an office furniture place that sells parts of chairs near you you could see if they sell a cylinder you could replace yours with, but typically these chairs are disposable (yes even the $1000 "gamer" chairs) and not meant to be repaired, especially not by the home user.

Yeah, allegedly (see: youtube, my boss swearing up and down it's possible) you can replace the cylinder entirely, but that's about the only fix. I'm pretty sure it's really that the seals are shot, particularly on mine, but those don't seem to be intended to be replaced.

So I get to try to figure out how these are sized and see where you can get them.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options

Yeah, allegedly (see: youtube, my boss swearing up and down it's possible) you can replace the cylinder entirely, but that's about the only fix. I'm pretty sure it's really that the seals are shot, particularly on mine, but those don't seem to be intended to be replaced.

So I get to try to figure out how these are sized and see where you can get them.

Considering I've never seen one that wan't permanently sealed at the factory, I suspect they're not meant to be taken apart, and that attempting to do so could very well be highly dangerous, like gas shock absorbers for cars. If you can find a replacement cylinder that will fit and has the same lift characteristics, and you can get the old busted one out of the both halves of the chair, then more power to you!

• Options
    edited February 2018

Considering I've never seen one that wan't permanently sealed at the factory, I suspect they're not meant to be taken apart, and that attempting to do so could very well be highly dangerous, like gas shock absorbers for cars. If you can find a replacement cylinder that will fit and has the same lift characteristics, and you can get the old busted one out of the both halves of the chair, then more power to you!

Yeah. The youtube video I found suggested knocking it loose of the base with a hammer, which seems ill-advised if it still works. Mine don't. If I can match the sizes on cylinders it looks pretty doable, though.

Auralynx on
    kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2018
    godmode wrote: »
    Add more instruments, I see, I see...

What you do is bring an instrument of your own, something as incompatible with a guitar as you can manage, and insist that you two jam together. Just wail away on whatever noisemaker you’ve brought and maybe it’ll make him realize that playing unwanted music is a bad idea.

There's a guy in the Davis T station who bangs about on a two octave electric glockenspiel every weekend. He doesn't know any actual music, it's basically a random, loud, piercing, incessant jangle.

I can't remember where I was going with this because even thinking about it makes me homicidal.

tynic on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    What kind of hours would you put into repairing an office chair anyways? By the time those pneumatics break it's probably stupidly uncomfortable to sit on and you're putting several hours into fixing those pneumatics... why not just run down to staples and buy a shitty cheap $100 chair at that point?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    It does depend on how the chair was shipped. The last few office chairs I've assembled have had the cylinder, base, and seat as separate pieces that you put together and it's definitely not a permanent connection between any of them (though still solid). If it was done like that then the challenge would be getting the right cylinder for it.

If it's one of the high end office style ones like Herman Miller or Steelcase then finding spare parts is likely trivial, but an Office Depot branded or the like may be harder.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    ReginaldReginald When I am Pres., I will create the Department of ______Registered User regular
    I recently moved to Des Moines and got a job at one of the best places to work here. The team I work on is really fun to work with, pay is great, there is just one problem: I get really bored at work. They overestimate how much time it will take to do something (they say days when it is hours), so I get work done really early and have nothing to do for days. Is it bad work etiquette to start pulling in work from the backlog, if everyone else is sandbagging? Maybe I should just work on my own projects.

• Options
    It does depend on how the chair was shipped. The last few office chairs I've assembled have had the cylinder, base, and seat as separate pieces that you put together and it's definitely not a permanent connection between any of them (though still solid). If it was done like that then the challenge would be getting the right cylinder for it.

If it's one of the high end office style ones like Herman Miller or Steelcase then finding spare parts is likely trivial, but an Office Depot branded or the like may be harder.
    bowen wrote: »
    What kind of hours would you put into repairing an office chair anyways? By the time those pneumatics break it's probably stupidly uncomfortable to sit on and you're putting several hours into fixing those pneumatics... why not just run down to staples and buy a shitty cheap $100 chair at that point?

They're moderately-fancy Bevco workbench chairs, so they actually did cost my boss a good deal more when he bought them, and I actually need the height when I'm soldering or otherwise doing the limited amount of electronics stuff I do. Mostly, though, this is the the result of the intersection of "work is slow," "Auralynx likes to tinker with things," and "Auralynx's boss hates buying new stuff."

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    tynic wrote: »

What you do is bring an instrument of your own, something as incompatible with a guitar as you can manage, and insist that you two jam together. Just wail away on whatever noisemaker you’ve brought and maybe it’ll make him realize that playing unwanted music is a bad idea.

There's a guy in the Davis T station who bangs about on a two octave electric glockenspiel every weekend. He doesn't know any actual music, it's basically a random, loud, piercing, incessant jangle.

I can't remember where I was going with this because even thinking about it makes me homicidal.

~300 metres down Elm street there is Tags Hardware store (it's an Ace hardware franchise) and they've got this for sale: http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1274446

• Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular

Yeah. The youtube video I found suggested knocking it loose of the base with a hammer, which seems ill-advised if it still works. Mine don't. If I can match the sizes on cylinders it looks pretty doable, though.

Even a "dead" gas cylinder/spring is under some fairly impressive pressure. Take care with whatever you do, and avoid hitting/cutting/opening the thing.

It's kind of a pipe bomb without a detonator.

• Options
    edited February 2018

Even a "dead" gas cylinder/spring is under some fairly impressive pressure. Take care with whatever you do, and avoid hitting/cutting/opening the thing.

Yeah, we may be returning to the "get a rubber mallet and a wood block before I try hitting anything," plan I was already working towards at this stage on Monday, given what I have available at the moment. I appreciate the warning!

Auralynx on
    kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    Uuuugh freezing rain in the forecast today, so school buses aren't running.

Which means I get to work from home AND look after my 7 year old.

Fun times ahead!

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Are harmonicas musical instruments?

• Options
    edited February 2018

Yeah, we may be returning to the "get a rubber mallet and a wood block before I try hitting anything," plan I was already working towards at this stage on Monday, given what I have available at the moment. I appreciate the warning!

We use 60/70/100 lb gas springs in our products.

I think it was about six months ago, one of the more naive guys in the shop tried to resolve a spec issue by shortening the (wrong) arm on a 100lb spring. He put the thing on the band saw, but didn't tighten the clamp hard enough (he said he didn't want to crush the body casing, which made me chuckle that he thought he could) and the spring vibrated itself forward a fair bit, and the saw started cutting main body.

I heard a deafening boom and lots of shouting. I came around the corner full tilt to three guys staring at the spring arm (about 14" long) sticking out of the wall separating the warehouse bays. It had punched through two sheets of 1/2" sheet rock, and a stud. The guys in the graffiti shop next door were able to see a few threads on their side of the wall. We just cut everything off and ground it down flush to the wall since not even the bulkiest guy in the shop could pull it back out.

We had an all hands safety meeting shortly there after, where I had to ask the room "Does everyone know what a pipe bomb is?"

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    Commander ZoomCommander Zoom Registered User regular
    I'd just go for something simpler and more direct.

https://youtu.be/8V_hCqO6UQs

Yay, someone else thought of and linked that before me.

• Options
    HoA-playerHoA-player Registered User regular
    Sassori wrote: »
    @Liiya

I suggest getting yourself a glockenspiel.

Or a bass...xylophone.

I will unseat his throne of obnoxiousness.

Slip him some change and a flyer to a nearby homeless shelter. Tell him to keep his chin up and that he'll get off the streets soon.

• Options

We use 70/70/100 lb gas springs in our products.

I think it was about six months ago, one of the more naive guys in the shop tried to resolve a spec issue by shortening the (wrong) arm on a 100lb spring. He put the thing on the band saw, but didn't tighten the clamp hard enough (he said he didn't want to crush the body casing, which made me chuckle that he thought he could) and the spring vibrated itself forward a fair bit, and the saw started cutting main body.

I heard a deafening boom and lots of shouting. I came around the corner full tilt to three guys staring at the spring arm (about 14" long) sticking out of the wall separating the warehouse bays. It had punched through two sheets of 1/2" sheet rock, and a stud. The guys in the graffiti shop next door were able to see a few threads on their side of the wall. We just cut everything off and ground it down flush to the wall since not even the bulkiest guy in the shop could pull it back out.

We had an all hands safety meeting shortly there after, where I had to ask the room "Does everyone know what a pipe bomb is?"

Coil spring compressors can be very dangerous in the wrong hands, but if you're careful and not an idiot, they're fine. One apprentice at the Isuzu truck workshop I used to work at was concerned about how dangerous they can be, so instead of using them to shorten a spring so he could take it off the mcpherson strut he was working on (we also did a little bit of automotive stuff, mostly for dealership staff members), he thought it would be a better idea to just gas-axe the spring while it was still on the strut.

The foreman damn near made him cry by the time he'd finished shouting at him.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Is the vuvuzela the assault rifle of musical instruments?

• Options
    Jacques L'HommeJacques L'Homme BAH! He was a rank amateur compared to, DR. COLOSSUS!Registered User regular
    edited February 2018

French horn. The less experience you have with it the better.

Jacques L'Homme on
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »

Signs point to ... yes.

• Options
    Noooo, this is the closest thing you're gonna get to the assault rifle of musical instruments:

swqokx3flnywzs3tb9xw.jpg

(btw if anyone wants to get snotty about how a lightweight semi-automatic rifle chambered in a caliber designed for shooting people isn't an "assault rifle", you can lick my taint)

• Options
    So we have, sensibly, concluded that contacting the customer service reps from the chair manufacturer to ask how they think we should proceed is a good call. Now I get to wait until the lady who's worked there since we bought the chairs, which seems to have been about 18 years ago, gets in next week to answer us.

So if I blow myself up doing something ill-advised, it won't be until next week.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »

Signs point to ... yes.

Betterer version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKKTqB_Lzv0

• Options
    edited February 2018

Coil spring compressors can be very dangerous in the wrong hands, but if you're careful and not an idiot, they're fine. One apprentice at the Isuzu truck workshop I used to work at was concerned about how dangerous they can be, so instead of using them to shorten a spring so he could take it off the mcpherson strut he was working on (we also did a little bit of automotive stuff, mostly for dealership staff members), he thought it would be a better idea to just gas-axe the spring while it was still on the strut.

I have been thinking about this story since you posted it, and I have started laughing out loud.

Concerned about a tool that is designed to make spring removal safe, tries to cut a packed spring instead.

*headexplode.gif*

Anon the Felon on
  • Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    Is the vuvuzela the assault rifle of musical instruments?

I think that honor belongs to the bagpipe.

• Options

I have been thinking about this story since you posted it, and I have started laughing out loud.

Concerned about a tool that is designed to make spring removal safe, tries to cut a packed spring instead.

*headexplode.gif*

A packed spring mounted around a sealed gas cylinder...

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Thanks thread, I'm now uncomfortably shifting around in chair, irrationally afraid that the cylinder will explode and launch a spring through the chair and right up main street.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Thanks thread, I'm now uncomfortably shifting around in chair, irrationally afraid that the cylinder will explode and launch a spring through the chair and right up main street.

I was going to keep this to myself, but my chair has a 300-pound tolerance, which you will note is way more than the thing in Anon's story.

It's a different sort of device, though, and again, probably not pressurized anymore since it's not working.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited February 2018

You may have noticed an enormous, thick steel plate that attaches to the cylinder. It's there for a reason.

Orca on
  • Options
    Orca wrote: »

You may have noticed an enormous, thick steel plate that attaches to the cylinder. It's there for a reason.

One of the things that gave me pause as I was investigating this plan was the discovery of what looks like some kind of retaining plate held in with machine screws that don't look like they're meant to be removed securing the top of the thing, yeah.

Plus side, the CSR who pointed me at the lady who's been there forever did mention that the cylinders are supposed to have a lifetime warranty. Last time I did a deep dive on equipment we got a free new fancy multimeter out of it because an integrated circuit had blown and I could prove it.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Which instruments are wmds...weapons of musical destruction

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Which instruments are wmds...weapons of musical destruction

Tempted to link a clip of the Trigun saxophone player.

This discussion has been closed.