As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Gloomhaven] A small, quick party game

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    Hedgethorn wrote: »
    Wait, why did you start at level 2? The beginning scenario should be done at 0 or 1.

Josh is right. Enemy level, according to the rule book, should be (party's average level)/2, rounded up. So you shouldn't be playing against level 2 monsters until your party has an average level of 3.

We must have mis-read "average" as "total" in the rules.

Hell in that case I don't feel so bad since we were taking the scenario on hard mode.

That one's kind of a beast regardless, mostly because you have relatively few tools to apply to it. Isaac seemed to want people to learn by doing, so he set that up the way he did to show players they need to hustle while still being thoughtful about what risks they take, imo.

Auralynx on
    kshu0oba7xnr.png

• VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Yeah I just looked at the L1 vs. L2 enemy stats and they don't really change that much. -1 hp there, -1 attack there.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • SaurfangSaurfang Registered User regular
    That's still significant! World of difference between a dead monster and one at 1 HP. All those +1 attacks against you add up too.

• VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Yeah I can see that. It's just not what I was expecting. We didn't have a bunch of enemies clinging to a single HP, but I'm certainly not going to complain about weaker attacks being aimed at my tiny little Mindthief. (In the rare cases when that happens, anyway.)

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • AetherAether Registered User regular
    It’s Gloomhaven night tonight, I’ve just got to make it through work.

Time for scenario 3. We’ve been using the app that conceals rooms until you open them, but I wonder if we’re unnecessarily hobbling ourselves.

In scenario 2 we didn’t know there was a chest behind the second opened door. Not sure we would have changed what we did but... chests

I’m a scoundrel and I really want to use Smokebomb and then Tricksters Reversal on a dude with shield just to see how high the damage can get. Especially with the Eagle Eye Goggles.

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Aether wrote: »
    It’s Gloomhaven night tonight, I’ve just got to make it through work.

Time for scenario 3. We’ve been using the app that conceals rooms until you open them, but I wonder if we’re unnecessarily hobbling ourselves.

In scenario 2 we didn’t know there was a chest behind the second opened door. Not sure we would have changed what we did but... chests

I’m a scoundrel and I really want to use Smokebomb and then Tricksters Reversal on a dude with shield just to see how high the damage can get. Especially with the Eagle Eye Goggles.

You are a bit, yeah, but if it's fun stick with it.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I think we’re doing 8 next. I want to steer us in the direction of being good.

I think we’re doing 8 next. I want to steer us in the direction of being good.

That path has worked out pretty well for my team.

I will say, for those who might be interested, there are some effectively Bad Guy Only missions. We reached that branch and took the other fork.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• LykouraghLykouragh Registered User regular
    I'm doing one party goody two shoes and one party Evil Bad Guys and it's been fun so far.
    The baddy bads were forced to rescue a puppy from the side of the road though, I mean they're evil but they're not THAT evil

Regarding that road event:
    My evil party left that puppy to fend for itself. That's how you know we're trope level bad.

What are your guys' favorite classes so far? I played a Cragheart to level 9 and just adored it. I feel like it has a lot of different tools. While I operated primarily as a ranged damage dealer specializing in area effect damage, I could off heal or even take a few hits to shield squishy allies for a turn. And once the obstacle thing gets rolling you have some cool options that no other class has. Also it does just silly, silly damage on clustered enemies with its level 9 and volatile bomb.

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Cragheart tornado + curse is like cheating

I like my Brute more than I thought I would

Spellweaver is my current favorite though

I have played Brute and Spellweaver and really enjoyed them both so far. The glass cannon design on Spellweaver is just really fun, there's always tension between just blowing all your one-shots and trying to make them last.

• FryFry Registered User regular
    Spellweaver has a cool mechanic with being able to recover lost cards, but unfortunately in our group it's being played by a person with moderate to severe Analysis Paralysis so the game goes really slow :(

I enjoyed Cragheart, but the scary-mask box guy is currently my favorite.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I'm on Cragheart too. The Brute seems to be doing more damage, but I can throw people into tables, and soon, I'll be able to throw tables into people. And have them explode. I'm pretty okay with this idea.

QPPHj1J.jpg
    In terms of unlockable classes, I just started playing Cthulhu and man. It is fun on a bun. Apparently it got nerfed in the second edition? I can see how what this class does could get out of hand.

I’m Scoundrel, nearly level three. I’m finding it a very straightforward class. I’ve only got a few cards that get lost, and I tend to save those for the big hitters. No one has beaten me for damage to a single target. The Loot 2 card means I’ve not been short on money. I’ve trimmed the combat deck (two from tick perks, and one from leveling up) so I’m about to start filling it up with some better cards.

The Scoundrel combat deck is a thing of beauty.

• FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Saurfang wrote: »

Strictly single-target damage, which is the only drawback. That single target does not usually last very long, however.

I'm actually really excited to add some rolling element generation to my Spellweaver modifier deck.

Fairchild wrote: »
    Saurfang wrote: »

Strictly single-target damage, which is the only drawback. That single target does not usually last very long, however.

I have one card that targets two enemies, Throwing Knives. It’s one of my most used, until I need to loot everything using the bottom half, because then it’s lost to me.

• FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    You'd think that Throwing Knives would be more valuable, but I found myself always discarding that one first during a Long Rest.

Then there's the Brute's similar Spare Dagger which is maybe the best card in his deck....

The best card in the Brute's deck is the "You over there, You're Dead" card. Which he receives at Level 2 !

The best card in the Brute's deck is the "You over there, You're Dead" card. Which he receives at Level 2 !

It's good, but it's a loss, it doesn't work on elites, it doesn't work on named specials or bosses, it's melee range. I'm sure once your'e doing level 7 scenarios it reads like "loss: do 15 damage" or something, but "attack 3 range 3 get an experience no loss" is just incredible at all times, and Spare Dagger comes with an attack on the bottom!

Lykouragh wrote: »

It's good, but it's a loss, it doesn't work on elites, it doesn't work on named specials or bosses, it's melee range. I'm sure once your'e doing level 7 scenarios it reads like "loss: do 15 damage" or something, but "attack 3 range 3 get an experience no loss" is just incredible at all times, and Spare Dagger comes with an attack on the bottom!

It won't take 'til Level 7 to come up against guys with enough health for it to be worth it. Once you guys get out of "Bandits and Skeletons and Zombies," territory it gains a lot of value.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    I bought GH a month ago, but I haven't had time to try it yet (other than a quick 1-room random solo dungeon to see if I've understood the rules).

Quick question about ranged units: A monster ranged unit with, say a range 4 attack is 3 hexes away from the closest PC and draws a move + attack card. It will then move towards the PC until it has 1 hex between itself and the PC (assuming it has enough movement) and then do a ranged attack, right?

I ask, because the smart move would be to move as far away from the PC as it could while still being in range to attack, but as far as I can tell the rules say to move towards the PC anyway.

Sic transit gloria mundi.
    I bought GH a month ago, but I haven't had time to try it yet (other than a quick 1-room random solo dungeon to see if I've understood the rules).

Quick question about ranged units: A monster ranged unit with, say a range 4 attack is 3 hexes away from the closest PC and draws a move + attack card. It will then move towards the PC until it has 1 hex between itself and the PC (assuming it has enough movement) and then do a ranged attack, right?

I ask, because the smart move would be to move as far away from the PC as it could while still being in range to attack, but as far as I can tell the rules say to move towards the PC anyway.

My understand is that it will move the minimum number of hexes to perform an attack, so it would stand still and shoot. But I have been wrong about the rules for this game quite a lot!

(More technically, I think it first chooses to focus on the character that requires the fewest number of hexes for it to move to attack without disadvantage; then it performs that minimum number of moves while trying to maximize the number of targets its attacks will hit without disadvantage.)

Auralynx wrote: »

It won't take 'til Level 7 to come up against guys with enough health for it to be worth it. Once you guys get out of "Bandits and Skeletons and Zombies," territory it gains a lot of value.

Word. Especially against the Shield 3 and Shield 4 guys, who are such a pain in the rear end to whittle down while waiting for the x2 damage card to appear.

Oh yeah, I used it to kill a 15 health dude in my solo game. Feels good, man.

My understand is that it will move the minimum number of hexes to perform an attack, so it would stand still and shoot. But I have been wrong about the rules for this game quite a lot!

(More technically, I think it first chooses to focus on the character that requires the fewest number of hexes for it to move to attack without disadvantage; then it performs that minimum number of moves while trying to maximize the number of targets its attacks will hit without disadvantage.)

Slight addendum: they still prioritize their focus, so even if they could hit three other people with their attack, if the only way to do so was to take disadvantage against their focus, they wouldn't.

QPPHj1J.jpg
    That Brute kill card is also so much better than the alternative it’s not even funny. If I didn’t run into any hard-to-kill enemies I’ll save it for end of run cleanup, and the bottom is a Move 4 if I’m not mistaken? It gets its share of use.

edited February 2018
    There's a monster AI quiz here. I took it before running my first scenario and was surprised by how much I got wrong my first try through. I highly recommend you check it out.

If you do get things wrong during a scenario, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Mistakes tend to self-correct over time (maybe that mistake came out in your favor, but the next one might not). It comes out in the wash.

joshofalltrades on
  • FryFry Registered User regular
    There's a monster AI quiz here. I took it before running my first scenario and was surprised by how much I got wrong my first try through. I highly recommend you check it out.

If you do get things wrong during a scenario, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Mistakes tend to self-correct over time (maybe that mistake came out in your favor, but the next one might not). It comes out in the wash.

Nice quiz! I started off strong by getting the very first question wrong. :/

Man, the comments on like every question start off with someone complaining about how the "correct" answer is wrong. LOLOL

• [Expletive deleted][Expletive deleted] The mediocre doctor NorwayRegistered User regular
    I took the quiz. I don't think I've had a lower score on any test I've taken in my life. :P

Thanks, Lykouragh and LeumasWhite for answering my question!

Sic transit gloria mundi.
    It's generally pretty simple until you get into weirdness with multiple-target ranged attacks and lots of traps everywhere. Find the closest thing, use initiative to break ties, then move only as much as possible to attack it without disadvantage. If they can move to include other enemies in their attack as well without screwing up that primary attack, they will.

QPPHj1J.jpg
  • azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    So somebody spoil me on the classes just a bit

Some classes are alignment locked? So is there a chance I just won’t see an entire class?

We got Sun off rep and Moon off PQ.
    If you dig in the scenario book you'll see Scary Face can unlock real late in the game off what I'd call a branch of the main storyline.
    I think it's the only one but I'm not 100% on that.

I believe it's possible to run out of non-random quests before opening everyone; it certainly seems to be where my group is headed. We'll probably miss Saw and Lightning Bolts altogether.

Isn't in the game that if you unlock a PQ or event that would normally have you open a box, and that box is already open, then you open a different random box?

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    So I'm about to unlock triforce via my PQ. I have not decided if im going to drop my current character and retire just yet, so i peeked at some information on it to make sure it wasnt a class i just simply did not want to play.

It's interesting enough for me to want to give it a try, and it probably will be some time before we open more boxes, does anyone have any experience with it that they would like to share? I don't need much convincing, but i am curious in case its a particularly annoying class from personal experience. my other choice would be to play the brute or the spellweaver which currently are unused.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
    edited February 2018
    azith28 wrote: »
    So somebody spoil me on the classes just a bit

Some classes are alignment locked? So is there a chance I just won’t see an entire class?

We got Sun off rep and Moon off PQ.
    If you dig in the scenario book you'll see Scary Face can unlock real late in the game off what I'd call a branch of the main storyline.
    I think it's the only one but I'm not 100% on that.

I believe it's possible to run out of non-random quests before opening everyone; it certainly seems to be where my group is headed. We'll probably miss Saw and Lightning Bolts altogether.

Isn't in the game that if you unlock a PQ or event that would normally have you open a box, and that box is already open, then you open a different random box?

If I remember right, you don't open a different box, you get an item design and sidequest. I actually looked recently, given what I mentioned in the spoiler; it's worth another check to be sure.

Triforce Box info in spoilers:
    That's the only one we've opened that nobody's wanted to play, actually. I think it's one of the more party synergy-dependent classes, though I've heard other people say it's actually quite good if you take the time to kit it out. We've never really had a team going it'd slot into well.

Auralynx on
    kshu0oba7xnr.png