As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[BEER] The Lacing on This Thread is Breathtaking. Mouthfeel

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    Bucketman wrote: »
    If I want cheap crap beer my go to was always a PBR

I dont think you understand how cheap keystone is. I got a 15 pack for 8 dollars the other day.

• Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    Stone is right to sue. If they don't, they are diluting their trademark.

In case people didn't click the link, Keystone changed their cans so that they read like "key STONE light". It's not subtle.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Keystone were always stones at my college, but they deserve to lose because keystone is garbage and we only drank it because it was 9-10 bucks a 30.

• Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    The Pack of Stones font used to be smaller too. It's definitely more "bold" now and looks pretty much like Stone the brewery.

Inbev has gone after small breweries for much less than this so I'm okay with the litigation.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    7kb4odhsbtrk.png

I mean . . .

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    SmurphSmurph Registered User regular
    My cheap college beer was always Busch Light. These days I will drink PBR but go for High Life if they have it.

I'm going through the BJCP class to try to get certified as a homebrew judge right now. Our first class was American Light Lager. IMO, Miller Lite scored best followed by High Life and PBR. Bud and Bud Light had noticeable apple off flavors. Yuengling and Yuengling Light were more like amber lagers.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    The Judge wrote: »
    7kb4odhsbtrk.png

I mean . . .

Oh yeah that's definitely something worth suing over.

Even if they lose, it's so egregious that future infringements could point to a lack of litigation here as evidence Stone aren't defending the trademark and therefore shouldn't get to keep it.

Trademark law is weird.

• Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    3clipse wrote: »
    7kb4odhsbtrk.png

I mean . . .

Oh yeah that's definitely something worth suing over.

Even if they lose, it's so egregious that future infringements could point to a lack of litigation here as evidence Stone aren't defending the trademark and therefore shouldn't get to keep it.

Trademark law is weird.

Beer trademark law is crazy. I worked a beer radio show every once in a while a few years ago, and they had a beer lawyer on. He worked only with craft brewers. One of the big issues is when smaller regional breweries get larger distribution and suddenly you have beer name conflicts.

iirc, Ballast Point got sued by Yellowtale wines over Yellowtale Pale Ale. They ended up settling out of court with YT just paying BP millions of dollars to rename their pale ale. BP dumped that money into growing the brand and was able to sell to Constellation for $1b a couple years later.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    welp I opened my last bottle of mead.

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    I haven't drank in like two months I think. this glass of mead is kicking my ass.

• Options
    Double posting in the beer thread is a good indicator, yes.

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Deadfall wrote: »
    Deadfall wrote: »
    Gonna visit so many Belgian monastery breweries in June.

Oh are you, now?

When in June?

Let's see...

Looks like we'll be in Brussels from May 30 through June 2. Hitting up St. Sixtus and St. Bernardus on one of those days, even though I know they are the more "touristy" ones. But I just love them so much, and we're stopping by the Hop Museum on the way.

Then it's on to Italy for their beer and wine and ghost selections (we found a wine and ghost tour in Venice.)

Too bad! We'll be in Bruges by then.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    Awesome, we'll be crossing each other because we'll be coming from Bruges. Which also makes some delicious beer, if the selection at my beer store is any indication.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Hey if you're interested, although I'm sure you have enough of your own list, this is our map of spots to drink and eat (and also to see historical things but you can ignore that section)

E: it is obviously not a pan-Belgium map, it is more or less explicitly designed along our route, so no one feel the need to go "OMG WHY DIDN'T YOU INCLUDE _____" tyia

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    Zwickelmania has just wrapped up in Portland (rest of the state is next weekend). Scaled back the usual "we can hit EVERYTHING" plans and kept it to Migration (eight year anniversary) and Culmination (less than a half mile away from point A).

Both were great and Culmination's head brewer taking fake offense at a hop question and pouring us free beer in response was pretty cool.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I'm drinking this collaboration

v7gpraw4obyl.jpg

It's good. A very, very approachable sour. Does not have the pucker notes at all but it has a good mild flavor. Very, very drinkable.

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    A local brewery back home is making a beer for a local deli's corned beef cook off. It is:
    Rye Ale brewed w/ juicy hops, Caraway & Mustard Seeds, Green Peppercorn, Candied Ginger, Celery Seed & Nutmeg

Don't know if want...

jgeis on
  • Options
    Mr. ButtonsMr. Buttons Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Yes, you want, maybe not a lot, but some.

The mustard and celery seed are a little off-putting, I'll assume/hope mild enough to not ruin it.

Mr. Buttons on
  • Options
    Eh, I'll try anything once.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
  • Options
    I had to go to a nearby store or training so Im trying out their brewery. They have some good IPAs and Im about to try their stout.

But the cool thing they have is a build-a-radler. They have 5 different juices to mix it with or just the ale.

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I had a really good lemon lime sour from Ft. George yesterday. Was a fine beer and would pair well with a warm spring day

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    webguy20 wrote: »
    I had a really good lemon lime sour from Ft. George yesterday. Was a fine beer and would pair well with a warm spring day

That was my thought and unfortunately northern michigan is still a month at least away from that.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I am drinking a Not the Stoic Belgian Style Quad from Deschutes

It is POTENT

• Options
    I went to a beer festival yesterday. The 30 degree weather wasnt great, but there were a ton of beers. And a lot of places had their specialty beers.

Got some KBS and Perrin had a bunch of 10% stuff. My girlfriend tried a couple of meads there too.

• Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    so i put down a new world schwartzbier:

malts:
    2kg pilsner
    400g dark munich
    200g dark crystal
    80g carafa III

hops:
    ella 15g - mash hop
    topaz 5g - 60 min boil
    ella 15g - flameout

yeast: saflager w34/70

i used some fancy low-oxygen brewing techniques - basically made a yeast and sugar mix before the mash to gobble up the oxygen out of the tap water, then a small sodium metabisulphate addition to starve the brew of oxygen uptake while it's hot and the flavours are most vulnerable to oxidation

it's just fermenting now. this wort is already like the nectar of gods. there is so much flavour in it. it's going to be more bitter and hoppy than a traditional schwartzbier, or any lager i've brewed before, but the flavour out of those malts should stand up to it. i'm so excited i'm just going to ignore the problem i've historically had of getting perfect carbonation with the metabisulphite addition for now.

brewing is fun, y'all

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    I am blaming the NE IPA craze for this ("oh, people want something that LOOKS different!"), because nothing else explains rational brewers reaching for edible glitter.

s1q2b3sab4qj.png

okwc4fef0a35.png

Local blogger just ran these down. Second one is the same beer in both glasses.

I'll be violently shuddering for a bit if anyone needs me.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    I am blaming the NE IPA craze for this ("oh, people want something that LOOKS different!"), because nothing else explains rational brewers reaching for edible glitter.

s1q2b3sab4qj.png

okwc4fef0a35.png

Local blogger just ran these down. Second one is the same beer in both glasses.

I'll be violently shuddering for a bit if anyone needs me.

Don't you put this evil on us. There's decidedly no glitter in beer here that I can detect.

• Options
    That look disgusting.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Right, because what I want is having glitter in my GI tract for the rest of my life.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I have not seen a single glitter beer in the northeast, do not blame us for that abomination.

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    Those look exactly like the brushed pearl faux finishes I used to mix up at the paint desk. And honestly, they looked delicious, so I guess sign me up.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Right, because what I want is having glitter in my GI tract for the rest of my life.

Edible glitter is fine. I use luster dust to decorate fancy chocolates sometimes when making them.

Wouldn't ever even think about putting it into beer though. And that does seem like a larger amount going into those beers than I'd want to consume at one time.

• Options
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    I'd worry the glitter would mess with the head retention of the beer.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    I'm worried it would get stuck on my lips

• Options
    I'm worried that drinking glitter would turn me gay.

• Options
    I ZimbraI Zimbra Worst song, played on ugliest guitar Registered User regular

I'm worried it wouldn't turn me gay enough.

• Options
    I Zimbra wrote: »

I'm worried it wouldn't turn me gay enough.

Yeah, you don't want to end up somewhat gay. It's all or nothing.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    So I guess the question is, what's the GayBV on those beers?