As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Flay's sketchbook [08/01/08]

FlayFlay Registered User regular
edited January 2008 in Artist's Corner
Here we go again... I hope I can keep this sketchbook a daily thing.

figure27br8.jpg

Flay on

• Options
    Asamof the HorribleAsamof the Horrible Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    but all I ever see of your sketches are the basics! I think you got it down all right, or you might want to try something different like learning values. For a while all I did was basics and anatomy practice out of books, and maybe it's just me but it got dull after having drawn everything at least once after a while. Try buying some medium like charcoal and print out some B&W bodies/faces that have dramatic lighting. Construct it using what you learned from the books, and then put down the values. Then if when you decide to take a model drawing class, you'll have some skill with the medium and stuff!

but if you already do all of this just pretend I never existed, okay? :cry:

Asamof the Horrible on
  • Options
    MufasaJoeMufasaJoe Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Flay, I have always been impressed by your consistency, and I have often been impressed by your creatures and characters.
    I, however, have been dissappointed in the past and now by the amount of drawings straight out of the Loomis books.
    Don't get me wrong, they are an excellent resource. Being one of the lucky few to actually have a Loomis book, I've found flipping through it and internalizing a tidbit here or there to be more than useful. Actually copying page by page seems excessive.
    We've seen your mannequins, your skeletions, your animal drawings, all well done really. Like I said, your creatures and characters were cool too. But until you start drawing from life and taking more risks with mark making, I can't imagine your work is going to be very interesting.
    Again, though, great dedication.

MufasaJoe on
  • Options
    RavenshadowRavenshadow Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    agreed.

You need to start trying to apply what your learning. Do a sheet of ref'd figures, then try a sheet of observed figs or figures from your head.

Alternating that way seems to be good practice, least for me 't is.

Ravenshadow on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Yeah, I definitely agree with you guys. I've been trying to tell myself to break out of my comfort zone every once in a while; the only problem is I'm just never quite sure how to go about it. I suppose using my wooden mannequin more isn't quite what you guys are talking about it, but that might be a start.

Damn, I really wish I were old enough to attend popper figure drawing classes. I'd start going to the regular kind, but the only available place runs them on a Monday, which I can't do...

There are a few more diagrams I plan to copy from Loomis, though, 'cause I want to be able to refer to them when I'm out and about instead of only being able to look at them in PDF form.

Flay on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    How old are you Flay? Most figure drawing co ops I attend allow you to attend with a parents permission if you're under 18.
    Hopefully things are the same in the southern hemisphere.

MufasaJoe on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I'm sixteen, and if that's the case in your parts I don't see any reason why it should be any different around here. I'll look in to it.

Flay on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    figure28bd0.jpg

Trying to loosen up my wrist and do something a little different for once. I did a couple of pages of these, but I'll just use this as an example.

EDIT: Here's something I did for a classroom on conceptart.org, but was interrupted and didn't get to finish.

classroom1ti1.jpg

Flay on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    moleskine5rc8.jpg

Flay on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Still drawing every day, just been too lazy to scan any of it up. I'm trying to get better at posing from imagination, I suppose I've made a bit of progress.

sketchpage69pq3.jpg

sketchpage70ku6.jpg

portrait11no9.jpg

sketchpage71wp5.jpg

Oh yeah, and here's a christmas card I made at the last minute. It's crap, but I'll scan it anyways.

christmastcard1ed1.jpg

Flay on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Trying to learn something new, although I think I may be running before I've learned to walk...

sketchpage72nw6.jpg

Flay on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    sketchpage73by2.jpg

Flay on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Flay wrote:
    Trying to learn something new, although I think I may be running before I've learned to walk...

The mannequin has gone from useful to tool to bad habit.
    DRAW PEOPLE.

Seriously, just take some time to yourself to fuck up for a while.
    " Ima draw a face"
    Moments later:
    "Dang, that face is jacked up"
    Such is learning.
    Competent drawings of uninteresting building blocks are over rated.

Although, I supposed it's a little fucked up to be railing on someone for doing something decently...
    Well, if there's something you'd like more specific crits on, let it be known.

MufasaJoe on
  • Options
    EgosEgos Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Flay wrote:

Oh yeah, and here's a christmas card I made at the last minute. It's crap, but I'll scan it anyways.

christmastcard1ed1.jpg

You're selling yourself short. You're 16 for Christ's sake. You're stuff is great. Even if you weren't 16, it would be good ; just not something that looks like it took very long (and I don't think it did for you anyway).

The Flame Girl you showed looked nice. If you are interested in anime type style. Have you tried to mimic some manga books or anime series? This is an alternative to if you can't get into some figure drawing classes just yet.

But you might be able to develop a cool cartooning style by the time you are 17 or 18. Which is great...

Egos on
  • Options
    DeeLockDeeLock Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Have you tried to mimic some manga books or anime series? This is an alternative to if you can't get into some figure drawing classes just yet.

no

DeeLock on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    DeeLock wrote: »
    Have you tried to mimic some manga books or anime series? This is an alternative to if you can't get into some figure drawing classes just yet.

no

I haven't been around the forums enough to tell what your or Flay's interests are. But it would really depend on what kind of artistic skills you have. If you're the type of person who can look at an image and basically copy it with no sweat. It might be worth it (and it might not take that long; since anime is relatively simple).

The usefulness depends entirely on what area of work you want to go into though. Unfortunately we don't live in Japan so these skills would be all but moot. If you are into cartooning ,though, or comic-making then you may see techniques that you can integrate into your own style.

If you want to work in the game industry (purely) though, it might be next to useless. As over the years we have edged more and more towards realism (even the Japanese market).

Egos on
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2008
    Egos wrote: »
    Unfortunately we don't live in Japan

bwahaha. I mean anime is fine and dandy, but copying it isn't really the way to go.

That being said, maybe it is time to look at some artists out side of those who can teach you anatomy. Start setting some goals for yourself, rather than just putting around in anatomy. Start playing with concepts and design.

Iruka on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Iruka wrote: »
    Egos wrote: »
    Unfortunately we don't live in Japan

bwahaha. I mean anime is fine and dandy, but copying it isn't really the way to go.

Well to be fair I did say integrate aspects that worked into your own style.

Egos on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I'm not going to flat-out disagree with you Egos. Sure I could observe an already established style and intergrate bits ands pieces of it in to my drawing, but I'd still need a fairly good knowledge of the art basics to apply it, so that's what I'm gonna focus on. I emailed a local art gallery asking them whether it's permitted for minors to attend figure drawing classes with parental permission but I haven't gotten a response yet. When I can, I'll go in and ask in person.

Anyways, thanks for the comments guys, this really encourages me to try and improve. :)

Flay on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    sketchpage75km8.jpg

anatomy6wy7.jpg

Flay on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    That last piece shows progress.
    Neck seems wrong though.
    Toss the mannequins.

MufasaJoe on
  • Options
    Asamof the HorribleAsamof the Horrible Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    yeah! rendered dude, that's great. keep doing stuff like that, and take your time trying to get the figure accurate

PS stop being so hard on yourself

Asamof the Horrible on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    figure29if7.jpg

Flay on
  • Options
    BananaChipsBananaChips Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    What do you use for all your poses? Stuff like
    sketchpage72nw6.jpg

Also, you're doing great, I wish I had been determined as you :)

BananaChips on
    bananagr9.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    What do you use for all your poses? Stuff like

Also, you're doing great, I wish I had been determined as you :)

Eheh... I kind of cheated with those...

http://what-i-do-is-secret.deviantart.com/art/Reference-Men-s-clothing-68186011

Flay on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Sorry I haven't updated for a few days, the computer's been being kind of tempremental. Also, because I'm going to be staying at my dad's for a few weeks, I probably won't be able to scan anything for a while.

sketchpage76kd8.jpg

I posted this in the doodle thread, but I may as well post it here too.

christmascard2by0.jpg

Flay on
  • Options
    Penguin-FactoryPenguin-Factory Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    There's nothing more demoralizing than seeing someone 4 years younger who can draw circles around you O_o

Keep up the practice and you'll be super awesome. Definitely work on tone- your line art is great, but some tone would really make it come alive. Your clothed figures need some work as well. I'd recommend going to a mall or some other public place and doing quick gestural sketches until your hands bleed. It's a great way to start getting familiar with the basic shapes that clothes make in various poses.

Penguin-Factory on