As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Camp Comic] Friday, January 19, 2018 - Why We’re Here

• BrobBrob Registered User regular
    Netflix would jump on it for sure!

• AdamRWAdamRW Registered User regular
    Brob wrote: »

Uhhhhhhh, I’ve got some bad news there too...

• briguybriguy Registered User regular
    AdamRW wrote: »

Based on my two Netflix animation data points of Big Mouth and Devilman Crybaby, have you considered adding penises and explicit violence?

• Rosie ToesRosie Toes Registered User new member
    First time commenter, but I've been reading for a couple years now.

I don't remember how I found this comic (I think I found Skadi first?), but I'm so very glad I did. It's sweet and funny and emotional.
    I'm at a time in my life where I've suddenly realized I'm long past "big kid" and firmly in "young adult." This latest arc hit close to home.

I don't want to leave camp :/

Anyway, good luck pitching the TV show! I'd love to be able to say I knew Camp Weedonwantcha back when it was a webcomic :P

Ugh really? South Park even devoted an episode to how Netflix was buying everything pitched to 'em.
    Grumble grumble...

Yeah, I had seen that episode. Made the rejection feel even better!

Trying to get a show made seems really depressing.

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I had seen that episode. Made the rejection feel even better!

I'm no Big Business Man, but you may want to rethink your pitch of printing out all the comics as a flipbook and yelling "SEE!? LIKE THIS!"

For real though, good luck! You've got a great thing here.

The key seems to be celebrity voices. All the animated shows seem to have some fairly prominent voice actors for the characters. I'm going to propose getting Noah Schnapp from Stranger Things to voice Malachi, maybe Norm MacDonald for Linus, Gilbert Gottfried for Nieman, David Harbour for Brian, Tara Strong for Seventeen...get them lined up first and the rest will fall into place. :D

• jmaxerjmaxer Registered User new member
    "Thanks so much for all of your kind words about the comic, everyone! We'll get a blog post up real soon to talk about the future of the comic and our plans and all that."

Ha, that doesn't sound like this is continuing all that soon, if ever. Well, if it isn't, this is as good an area to go out on man! Great stuff.

The key seems to be celebrity voices. All the animated shows seem to have some fairly prominent voice actors for the characters. I'm going to propose getting Noah Schnapp from Stranger Things to voice Malachi, maybe Norm MacDonald for Linus, Gilbert Gottfried for Nieman, David Harbour for Brian, Tara Strong for Seventeen...get them lined up first and the rest will fall into place. :D

If the studio ever releases the short, they got some amazing voices for the main trio.

So we need someone to ninja the studio...

• Peter RoganPeter Rogan Registered User regular
    It's been my experience that you get better work out of someone whose elbow you aren't constantly tugging. So be patient, BROB, and await the new comics with tranquility and poise. In short -- STUFF the ninjas.

• Hawk1966Hawk1966 Leiche Central FloridaRegistered User regular
    Art can't be forced. I'll wait patiently until the heat death of the universe. It's up to them when or if they start up the comic. It sounds like they love it as much as we do. Love is patience. Give them their time, as long as they want.

Sorry, the ninja comment was simply a joke

I fully endorse the ninjaing of the short.

• hajenhajen Registered User regular
    supernatural (the TV show) spoiler alert:
    watching the twelfth (my next hangman word) season and didn't pay attention to the credit roll, but the story line featured a washed up hair metal front man being possessed by a major baddie; got to thinking that looks a lot like... it is Rick Springfield.
    totally blew me away.

hajen wrote: »
    supernatural (the TV show) spoiler alert:
    watching the twelfth (my next hangman word) season and didn't pay attention to the credit roll, but the story line featured a washed up hair metal front man being possessed by a major baddie; got to thinking that looks a lot like... it is Rick Springfield.
    totally blew me away.

The man is still going strong
    bkutr7d3xd25.jpeg

• ConnellArawnConnellArawn Registered User new member
    Personally, I think any studio is missing out on a prime opportunity. While they won't necessarily make money hand over fist, this is just the kind of heartfelt story that will bring in viewers and leave than better than they were before they started watching. I am grateful to Penny Arcade for bringing this comic to my attention and I look forward to the next chapter.
    However long you guys need to work it up is how long I will wait to read it. I don't believe in hounding artists for new content. It takes how long it takes. Anything rushed is not the work that it could have been. Besides that, I'm not paying you to do this, so I have no right to pester you about a finished product. I am happy to wait for this fantastic comic to continue.

Thank you for your wonderful story.

• phillipPborphillipPbor Registered User regular
    ... now what?

• SabariSabari Registered User regular
    ... now what?

I guess we live here now (and yes, I'm a long-time lurker who made an account just to say that)

• MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    ... now what?

This concludes your Camp Weedonwantcha Employee Training.

There are many lessons we can learn from Camp 15. The number one is be sure to pack the cat drops as tight as possible. Camps 8 and 10 shows what happens when you do not.

Now get our there and shape some young minds!

Now, we’re here for each other as we wait for the future.
    It’s meta.

Anyone know any meta campfire songs?

• BibbitybooBibbityboo Registered User new member
    Welp, since all the lurkers are revealing themselves I guess so am I.

Hey there!

Sorry everyone! Katie and I just took turns being sick for a couple weeks at a time, so we totally blew it with the blog post.

I really hope that this isn’t the end of the comic. We love doing it. The main issue is that the comics (especially the full page ones) take Katie a real long time to draw. And she’s just about to start a really cool new job that might take more of her time than would allow the sort of Camp comic output we’d had in the past.

We’re trying to figure out some sort of pipeline that would make twice weekly updates feasible. Something like... I write the comic, Katie draws the characters, someone else does the backgrounds.

We’re also looking at doing some sort of shorter, say, 3 panel comic that we could do in the interim, as we figure out how to do proper Camp comics. (Hint: The current idea we have is called Seventeen BC.) But we don’t know if that’s the sort of thing that you readers would even find worthwhile...

TL;DR We miss the way things used to be and we’re still trying to figure out how to make it work.

• KempsonKempson Registered User regular
    @adamrw I'd be down with some 3-panel gags.

• Ilze123Ilze123 Registered User regular
    Speaking only for myself now.

In the end when you do need to decide you cannot continue with the comic I would love (/need) a bit more closure with the characters I have come to know and love. There is a lot of lore/mythos revealed but on a lot of things you only touched it lightly. I would never ask for a total revelation on what makes the camp "tick" but a little more then you have given now would be greatly appriciated. If not, no worries. I'll live ;) with the fond memories I have.

take care and good health

I don’t know if this would make it easier or not
    But would a stand alone joke comic for Tuesday followed by a Campfire submission on Friday be a good solution for yours?
    The CF usually just gave a few drawings without backgrounds and they’re usually pretty interested.

• CandlewhisperCandlewhisper Registered User regular
    Thanks for the update, Adam. Like many others I've been checking back daily, hoping this thing keeps going.

If the comic has to end, it'd be great to see some storyline closure. Y'know, like Serenity did for Firefly. All those long term secrets you planned to reveal over a hundred strips, have them laid out in a short run of half a dozen comics forming an epilogue. Could even be set years later, with characters looking back.

Admittedly sometimes its more narratively satisfying to have questions left unanswered forever, but on the other hand I'm sure that there's stories you wanted to tell.

If time is an issue, why not make it paying work? A crowdsourcing site could be used to fund a final epilogue, and all the diehard fans could chuck cash in the pot with a certain threshold making the epilogue happen. Stick some merch on big backers, add a modest stretch goal, and Bob's yer uncle.

briguy wrote: »
    I don’t know if this would make it easier or not
    But would a stand alone joke comic for Tuesday followed by a Campfire submission on Friday be a good solution for yours?
    The CF usually just gave a few drawings without backgrounds and they’re usually pretty interested.

This format would be great, doing The Adventures of Proto Kid on Tuesdays and Camp comics on Fridays! (Proto's got loads of untapped potential IMO) But anything you two are able to do is most welcome. Gratz to Katie on the new job starting!

Sorry for the the spelling/grammar. I shouldn't nyquil and post.

• SabariSabari Registered User regular
    We’re trying to figure out some sort of pipeline that would make twice weekly updates feasible. Something like... I write the comic, Katie draws the characters, someone else does the backgrounds.

We’re also looking at doing some sort of shorter, say, 3 panel comic that we could do in the interim, as we figure out how to do proper Camp comics. (Hint: The current idea we have is called Seventeen BC.) But we don’t know if that’s the sort of thing that you readers would even find worthwhile...

Can only speak for myself, but that would absolutely be worthwhile to me. I loved some of the three panel comics early on, and wouldn't mind seeing them again. I love the main story progression, but I also enjoy the one-off comics.

• Hawk1966Hawk1966 Leiche Central FloridaRegistered User regular
    I'd be happy with anything we can get.

But I do agree with Candlewhisper, if the comic has to end I'd love to know the back story, origins, reasons. . . and some Kleenex for the tears.

edited March 2018
    If I can survive the wait between A Song of Ice and Fire, the Kingkiller Chronicles, and Gentleman Bastard Sequence, I can survive the wait for when you guys can, God willing, make more comics.

Edit: I’m going to be the weirdo, in that while I’d love to learn more about the world and back story of the campers, I really just want more of everyday life there.

briguy on
  • AIR1013AIR1013 Registered User new member
    LURKERS ASSEMBLE!!!!!!!!!

*Lurks*

• MistyCatMistyCat Registered User new member
    *Lurks deeply*

Thanks for the update, Adam. Like many others I've been checking back daily, hoping this thing keeps going.

If the comic has to end, it'd be great to see some storyline closure. Y'know, like Serenity did for Firefly. All those long term secrets you planned to reveal over a hundred strips, have them laid out in a short run of half a dozen comics forming an epilogue. Could even be set years later, with characters looking back.

Admittedly sometimes its more narratively satisfying to have questions left unanswered forever, but on the other hand I'm sure that there's stories you wanted to tell.

If time is an issue, why not make it paying work? A crowdsourcing site could be used to fund a final epilogue, and all the diehard fans could chuck cash in the pot with a certain threshold making the epilogue happen. Stick some merch on big backers, add a modest stretch goal, and Bob's yer uncle.

FYI to all the wonderful lurkers and commenters, if you’ve missed it before, Katie does have a Patreon to help support her work:
    https://www.patreon.com/katiejrice

I hesitated to post because she currently has a nice 69 number of supporters, but wouldn’t it be great if we could independently fund their comics?

• hajenhajen Registered User regular
    Time begins and I become aware that I exist in a miasma of darkness
    Tendrils of greater and lesser darkness swirl and writhe about me for an indeterminate length of time
    Slowly an inchoate shape seems to grow more defined before me, until finally it congeals into the solid form of a person
    I do not know how, but knowledge comes into my mind that this is the moderator
    And the moderator says to me, "Behold!" and I look about and am not able to see anything in this place of twilight
    The moderator draws forth the hammer of banning and strikes asunder the coalescing bands of unlight at our feet and says again, "Behold!"
    And I looked and I did beheld a vision never meant for the eyes of a mortal and I did quake and tremble exceedingly, to my very core
    And the moderator did say, "Fear not. Proclaim what you have beheld, so all may be enlightened."
    and my mouth was opened,"Lurkers, I see lurkers; it's lurkers all the way down!"
    "You have spoken truly!"
    At which point, my strength left me and I collapsed and lost consciousness
    As my faculties returned, I saw that I was again alone

Then I became cognizant that I had been talking to myself, got up and went to the kitchen for tea and crumpets.
    :D