As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Iruka's Thread, Sketchbook Dumpin' since twenty ten Y'all.

• Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    Thanks! I'll keep that in mind if I go back into it, I'm hoping to do another dags zine at some point, so I'll probably touch things up for print with fresh eyes.

• Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    Really love all those environments Iruka, the row of homes and that little car (never wanted to hug a car so bad) especially in love with. The home interiors are fun as well, great use of light and different light temps from room to room!

• Options
    LegacyGameLegacyGame Registered User regular
    Iruka wrote: »
    4gig6barptl3.jpg

the shadow temple vibes are strong and furry here ;D

c3bc2469764c521d06dd511c9ef7d821--john-smith-memes.jpg

• Options
    hah, thanks. Maybe I've had zelda on the mind, Im working on some beer labels:
    9fmirb4el6mk.jpg
    Just some more inking practice.

Pencils:
    8pum87pgukbi.jpg

• Options
    lyriumlyrium Registered User regular
  • Options
    Nah, I might color it/mock it up on an actual bottle for fun, but I just wanted to work some fun, silly stuff into my recent work.

• Options
    LegacyGameLegacyGame Registered User regular
    Time to start a brewery called "Super Fantasy Brews" where the face of the company is two French brothers that work as professional pluggers

• Options
    SeveredHeadSeveredHead Registered User regular
    russian beer... so carbonated vodka??

• Options
  • Options
    xejvkbx1ru1a.png
    l9yffmwheqnu.png
    h5wdhyab9meb.png
    655ig4ufuujn.png
    pwvnr90370vs.png
    ocrn31pjzrey.png

How do I still have drawings to scan.

• Options
  • Options
    SublimusSublimus Artist. nowhereRegistered User regular
    How has this thread gone all the way to the bottom of the page, with no reply after a post like that!? Holy shit! nice work.

• Options
    @Sublimus Haaah, thanks! I haven't Updated this in a hot minute, but I've mostly been sketching. I did color that image, though:
    npcqomfs0s2f.png

also heres a sketchbook dump:

5xkhfjg0mtcc.jpg
    fqrkgl68xdjn.jpg
    va1hfad9tb06.jpg
    mataht0a73jl.jpg
    i86qdjrpso9m.jpg
    98im0zyavg4m.jpg

Also, Heres a Zine cover I got to do. Kickstarter is in my sig.
    2nq0wvqaf8vi.png

Also also, I've been working on a new logo, because mine is a bit old now:
    qjtjo3p284zx.jpg
    This is the old, pointy one.
    mzh6uxnzbwyh.png

• Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    I dont know what I like more, your finished colors or seeing you crank on 100 diff pencil sketches. Thankfully you have provided me both! (OOoo cool KS project)

• Options
  • Options
    Ooooo, new logos. I'm liking 12,19,20. Digging the abstractness of 12 - almost looks like a key as well as a skull.

• Options
    Sub.... how did you make a blank post?

19 is one of my faves at the moment just because its simple, but it reads as a skull even without much context. Im thinking of iterating on that 14, 21/22 and 24. 24 is currently my top fav, but I wonder if the round, cuteness of it is sorta antithetical to my work overall.

• Options
    Maaaannnn. I had a good post, where did it go? Lets see if I can remember.

Yay! Love your sketches!

For the logo, I'm curious what you don't like about the current one, and what you're trying to go for that is different with the new ones. Content wise they are mostly the same as the old one. So are you just looking for a different vibe? Different shapes?

I guess because they are all mostly skulls and maybe some drips, the only thing that can help inform which is working better is to set a more precise goal.

Hope that makes sense!

Strictly aesthetically speaking, I like 25. Something about it feels unique. Something about the simplification combined with the angle of the skull feels new. It's pretty neat.

• Options
    @Sublimus

Good questions.

My old one was poorly made, vector wise, and so it was difficult to do things like switch out the colors, or change it to an outline version of itself. While thinking about redoing my website and selling prints, I thought it would be nice to just update the look and feel of it, while making a more complete idea of branding my work. I like the skull and drip overall because I think it covers a lot of my general deal, without being too specific. I wouldn't want it to be more specifically a dog head, for instance. I also dont feel that much kinship with my "LauraMakesArt" or my various screenames to brand off of text alone. My full name is also too incredibly common to go on, really.

I'd like my new logo to still look like an individual artist mark, so not too corporate. In general be a little easier to work with if I wanted to make a pin of it, or needed to invert the colors so it can be over black.

I'd also like something that gave me a little room to play with it, and the drip adds some nice flexibility for different colors and light patterns.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    I'm also a big fan of 19

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    9 feels like it has the most potential

You could simplify it a bit + add the drip... maybe like so?

01smdq1h4bao.jpg

I also really love the one to the right of 12 that looks like Reginald's skull

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ9IIhJpZRuBqg4q0PkrkaVWgMkiY-dHG17j9gqazaK3aY1PsqOCg

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    Yeah, one of my design friends is really all about the solid ones on the right side, and I can see them working simplified and enclosed like that. I wonder if I can make the drip work without the box?
    Its worth playing with.

• Options
    With Wasser, 9 was originally on my list. Trying to remember why I took it off, think it was the thin'ness and/or complexity of the teeth. Definitely worth playing with!

• Options
    wuhvm78fds4p.png

still fuckin around with these, just trying to play around a bit. Still really back and forth on which one I'm feeling, probably since they are relatively similar.

Probably would need to take the teeth number down in 9. Really, looking at it now there's simplification to do in all of them. The tone helps me see how I'd be able to work with it, though.

• Options
    DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    19C with a shorter drip and 20B are my favorites as logos, but 9D seems the most like an artist mark.

It kind of depends on what your use case is I guess?

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    I like to ART
  • Options
    9 and 19 are getting the most agreement, so I think the next step for me is to play with those two and think of how they might look on a website, card, the corner of a illustration, and other applications, and then choose from there.

• Options
    Really love the framing with the drip on 1a, but especially love 9b.

Like the simplicity and cleanness of the skull on 19a (solid front teeth & white nasal cavity) - maybe attempt it with the short drip as @Doodmann recommended. I like the drip but I do agree that it may be too far below in 19c.

• Options
    Shit I didn't post any logo update, I'll probably do that in couple days. I painted this instead:
    l5dgaj99b6pr.png

• Options
    Super cool! Love those eyebrows haha!

• Options
    FlayFlay Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Hey Iruka, I did a rough paintover with a few suggested changes

Hj6USbs.jpg

Made the light side warmer
    Added some cast shadows to suggest more depth
    Aligned the eyes in perspective,
    Faded some edges into the shadows
    Continued the spiky mane around to the other side of the head

Looks awesome, hope this helps!

Flay on
  • Options
    Ah thanks! I'll think about those changes if I go back in, but I'm probably done changing the major shapes around.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    your stuff is always cool iruka

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Whats up dudes. I've been sketching.

Trying to have fun with faces and keep at them:
    dhob4p6efo4e.png
    l7ajx6lakppv.png
    nsts04hjo3cl.png

If Im drunk and I draw a dog it comes out like this:
    08ypmv7lakr1.png

witches
    wefmvpz142dm.png
    owdi66lrxndz.png

Some Austinite pandering:
    5drkeh2zzrfs.png

Some things that I turned into digital stickers for an app called Quidd. Its an interesting app and I might work with them more in the future if time and economics allow:
    h8f8tf7y0nyx.png
    5opp9ibn7bnq.png
    pvf4nxchynbz.png

I Pulled my intuos out of the closet and did some drawing with my new macbook. Unfortunately the Air is a bit underpowered for the work, and drawing on an intuos again is weird as heck. If they dont announce a new ipad at the apple keynote tomorrow, I'm going to go pick up a pro:
    hm5roy9nhae2.png

• Options
    acadiaacadia Registered User regular
    It all looks great, but the stickers and face sketch up top are really outstanding.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Wait a minute

mods can awesome their own posts?!?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    huh apparently.

• Options
    Oh man, where can I order some'o them stickers Iruka? Digging these face studies too, especially that last uniorcelfishcorn(?).

• Options
    Quidd is a digital sticker platform, but I do want to print some real ones soon! Also thats a pretty accurate species assessment.

This is my first painting on the Ipad, one of my inktober sketches:
    2mfz3pdu4dxj.jpg

That zine I did the cover for was successfully funded and printed! Horray!

I have some doodles to scan, I'll get to that soon

• Options
    Here are some dirty scans from my recent sketchbooks

q9dc07tl0rbk.png
    v921wktoswz8.png
    vjias87ugoxm.png
    k0n2dpoqhhgb.png
    83qucirkhyva.png
    ugdn6cyarz84.png
    iplwo22c3elz.png
    6iljvb3wvmu3.png