As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Gloomhaven] A small, quick party game

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    It’s definitely a random item design and random sidequest.

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    It’s definitely a random item design and random sidequest.

Which is actually pretty helpful in terms of our current retirement goals as well, but won't get us to lightning bolts I don't think as it's not anyone's reward.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• taoofshinseitaoofshinsei Registered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »
    So I'm about to unlock triforce via my PQ. I have not decided if im going to drop my current character and retire just yet, so i peeked at some information on it to make sure it wasnt a class i just simply did not want to play.

It's interesting enough for me to want to give it a try, and it probably will be some time before we open more boxes, does anyone have any experience with it that they would like to share? I don't need much convincing, but i am curious in case its a particularly annoying class from personal experience. my other choice would be to play the brute or the spellweaver which currently are unused.

Triforce was the first class I unlocked in my group, and quite enjoyed playing him. That said, you really have to pay attention to what you're doing from round to round, and can be fiddly.

Spoiled for some vague Triforce mechanics talk:
    The class can be fiddly as it relies heavily around element generation/expenditure to be effective. Pretty much noone else in my 4-person group did much with elements, so I had to largely rely on generating my own elements through card use (and the occasional infusion from perks adding element generation to my attack modifier deck). I found him to be a lot of fun, but I found the class to be an enjoyable balancing act between planning for the next three turns and being ready to throw out that plan at a moment's notice because of the element board shifting in a way I didn't expect.

As far as effectiveness goes, I'd say I was a little lacking on damage output compared to the others in my group at the time. That said, it's been awhile since I've played triforce and I'd really like to go back and replay him. It helps that I'd start at a higher level than I ever got to when I played him, and we have so many more items at our disposal.

• LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Finished scenario 14 tonight. What a clusterfuck that was.
    Sure hope you aren't a melee fighter because you're gonna eat a million retaliate attacks if so. We went a bit nuts on the wolves in the first room and probably burned more than we could really afford, because the nasty frost demon/living spirit combo in the second room almost took us down; the demons immediately charged the door and blocked it while the spirit held back and just cursed everyone. Very nearly gave up on opening the third room and seeing all three enemy types represented. The Spellweaver actually managed to survive in the doorway, though, as the frost demons charged again and whiffed (one actual miss, one -2), the wolves were blocked due to the demons, and the spirits just threw more curses. Even so, we managed to clear it at the last possible moment; Spellweaver exhausted, Cragheart exhausting at the end of the round, and Brute/Scoundrel playing their last card pairs.

We decided that we deserved a bonus for that, the text of which is a little worrying. Might get to it next week, but we're going to hit up scenario 7 first as someone has a quest that it seems a likely destination for. Five more sessions for my own retirement, but now I have that fun "throw obstacles at people" card, so I'm in no rush. :D

QPPHj1J.jpg
  • Wolf of DresdenWolf of Dresden Registered User regular
    Finished scenario 14 tonight. What a clusterfuck that was.
    Agreed. I was playing a Brute on that one and having the enemies collectively spam retaliate was incredibly aggravating. Skewer came in handy here, especially with a Stamina potion to return it to my hand.

• VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Scenario 1, round 2 tonight. This time on normal difficulty.

The Cragheart player and I also ran a random dungeon for practice on Sunday (did not keep xp or gp) and have a much better feel for our roles.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Scenarios like 14 are great ones for the various classes with a "You're Dead" ability, combined with Tinker who can cycle the used card back into their hands.

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Fairchild wrote: »
    Scenarios like 14 are great ones for the various classes with a "You're Dead" ability, combined with Tinker who can cycle the used card back into their hands.

Monsters in 14 / Monsters in general, minor spoilers
    Just in general, any of the Demon enemies is tremendously inconvenient in one way or the other in the early going.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

I think it was probably the first mission where people really needed to look at their cards and go "okay, maybe my cool regular move won't quite cut it here." I'm lucky in that my basic build was nicely specced for the mission (lots of ranged attacks, lots of shield-ignoring damage), but the Brute was eating retaliate left and right.

QPPHj1J.jpg
    Cleared the first scenario. 3P makes an interesting difference; our Brute couldn't make it but gave us the go-ahead to play without him. Will be moving directly to Scenario 2 next week.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
  • Wolf of DresdenWolf of Dresden Registered User regular
    Scenario 47
    Boy am I glad to be done with Deep Terrors, Lurkers, and Harrowers. Seriously, to hell with that trio. The Unseeing Eye itself wasn't too bad - I nailed it with a poison dagger and we were able to just pile on the damage thanks to the poison bonus and some well-timed 2x draws. We also got lucky in that the Spellweaver managed to dodge a lot of fire with a well-timed cloak of invisibility and my Brute managed to stick himself in a corner out of range of several Deep Terror attacks.

Scenario 17
    We stalled out on the very last monster. Level 5 Vermling Shamans with Shield 3-4 are incredibly pesky. Had a lot of fun pulling creatures into traps with my Brute's hook and chain. I pocketed 45 gold and my ally 55, so we piled up a lot of cash. Could see using this to gold farm again even though we've looted the treasure.

After 17, our Spellweaver retired and we opened Three Spears.
    A very interesting class. A little worried for our party because I'm already running a Brute and the Quartermaster is more of the same (I can't tell you how much I appreciated the Spellweaver for mob control), but we'll see how it goes. At least he brings our average level down, so I can enjoy being stronger than the opposition for a brief moment in time.

Another session, another disaster, but it was at least a kind of hilarious one. Scenario #7 and a bit of personal goal stuff.
    Our Scoundrel was after forest imps, and oh boy did she ever find them. Met the entire quota of imp-stabbing in a single scenario, so we've got the next mission of that to look forward to. We actually lost the scenario itself due to a completely awful card pull; with her last two turns she could have leapt past a pile of earth demons and looted the final chest... but they played a card that pinned everybody in place, at range. Welp.

So we lost, turned it down to easy, and just speedran the thing; I think less than ten turns, doing a bare minimum of damage to monsters in the way. Crag and Brute went left, Spellweaver/Scoundrel went right, met in the final room to punch some bears in the face. Easy victory.

QPPHj1J.jpg
  • FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Crag and Brute went left, Spellweaver/Scoundrel went right, met in the final room to punch some bears in the face. Easy victory.

Sounds like every Packers game from the past 10 years.

Played #26 over the weekend. Scary Face, 2-Box, Music Notes, Sun, and Moon spoilers potentially in the below:
    This one would've been a lot easier if we hadn't tried to do the keep-an-enemy-active personal objective. We made fairly efficient work of the first couple of rooms, with the highlight being a chained Detonation doom wrecking a big pile of slimes - at least for me.
    Our Moon guy was playing his first game with the character and seems convinced he's not only more fragile but less dangerous than he actually is, which coming off Brute and Sunkeeper is understandable but problematic for strategy.

The water pipes spawning waves of Black Imps was a real issue but we managed to use invisibility to cause them to chase the Beast Tamer and Soothsinger around while we shut down the spawn system. Pain in the ass mission, but we're finally Prosperity 4 and all-but Rep 20 as a result.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

Auralynx wrote: »
    Played #26 over the weekend. Scary Face, 2-Box, Music Notes, Sun, and Moon spoilers potentially in the below:
    This one would've been a lot easier if we hadn't tried to do the keep-an-enemy-active personal objective. We made fairly efficient work of the first couple of rooms, with the highlight being a chained Detonation doom wrecking a big pile of slimes - at least for me.
    Our Moon guy was playing his first game with the character and seems convinced he's not only more fragile but less dangerous than he actually is, which coming off Brute and Sunkeeper is understandable but problematic for strategy.

The water pipes spawning waves of Black Imps was a real issue but we managed to use invisibility to cause them to chase the Beast Tamer and Soothsinger around while we shut down the spawn system. Pain in the ass mission, but we're finally Prosperity 4 and all-but Rep 20 as a result.

That was my first mission with Two-Boxes, and I found that
    abusing his ability to switch figures was key to quickly closing off the pipes.

That was my first mission with Two-Boxes, and I found that
    abusing his ability to switch figures was key to quickly closing off the pipes.
    The built-in Jumps and other weird movement-via-Doom on Doomstalker have been key to a number of our objective plans at this point, but that one comes up a lot too to set up kills or displace something big and hairy.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

I'd like to note that the worst enemy encountered that mission was actually the bears. You think it'd be the weird magical creatures, but no, it's just bloody bears doing a very uncomplicated "move very fast, hit very hard, have way too many hit points" thing.

QPPHj1J.jpg
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Well they are godless killing machines

• LykouraghLykouragh Registered User regular
    Guys the broken token organizer has a SECRET COMPARTMENT for the legacy envelopes. I have never been more erect.

Yeah it’s even called a secret compartment in the how it fits video

Hit Rep 10 and opened the Paladin.
    Basically she would replace the Tinker as a support character, I think; one of her interesting traits is that she has several attacks on the bottom of her action cards.

I'm just about ready to go after
    The Gloom, so I'm tempted to add the Paladin as a fourth character, but I realize how much overhead that jump from 3 to 4 adds to the game, too.

• FryFry Registered User regular
    Took a second stab at Scenario 2 yesterday. We won!
    Due to a road event, everyone started the encounter Poisoned (ugh) but fortunately the Tinkerer was able to heal that off on their first turn.

Did a slightly better job of opening the door this time, so people didn't get pincushioned quite as much by the elite archers. The boss bandit went door -> summon -> summon -> summon -> attack -> attack -> dead; given the way his deck is constructed, that's about as good a draw as we could have hoped for. Much better than the first attempt's summon x5, door x4, seriously-aren't-there-other-cards-in-his-deck. Also fortunate was that the Living Corpses never drew a move modifier higher than +0, so they just milled around in their room since the boss was standing in the doorway.

I landed one hit for 13 damage with Smoke Bomb, Eagle-Eye Goggles, and a Minor Power Potion (ruling at the table was that the Smoke Bomb effect doubles everything but the card drawn from the modifier deck, don't know whether that's the correct ruling). Other than that I got zero bonus damage from any of my attacks, because I just couldn't trigger either of the "ally next to the target" or "target next to none of its allies" conditions. :/

Really wish our Spellweaver would pay more attention to his own cards, I had to keep moving the element markers generated by his attacks when he used them, and I'm sure I missed some, so he probably missed tons of bonus damage and cool effects. Would have been really nice to stick Wound on some of the tougher opponents, for instance.

Fry wrote: »
    Took a second stab at Scenario 2 yesterday. We won!
    Due to a road event, everyone started the encounter Poisoned (ugh) but fortunately the Tinkerer was able to heal that off on their first turn.

Did a slightly better job of opening the door this time, so people didn't get pincushioned quite as much by the elite archers. The boss bandit went door -> summon -> summon -> summon -> attack -> attack -> dead; given the way his deck is constructed, that's about as good a draw as we could have hoped for. Much better than the first attempt's summon x5, door x4, seriously-aren't-there-other-cards-in-his-deck. Also fortunate was that the Living Corpses never drew a move modifier higher than +0, so they just milled around in their room since the boss was standing in the doorway.

I landed one hit for 13 damage with Smoke Bomb, Eagle-Eye Goggles, and a Minor Power Potion (ruling at the table was that the Smoke Bomb effect doubles everything but the card drawn from the modifier deck, don't know whether that's the correct ruling). Other than that I got zero bonus damage from any of my attacks, because I just couldn't trigger either of the "ally next to the target" or "target next to none of its allies" conditions. :/

Really wish our Spellweaver would pay more attention to his own cards, I had to keep moving the element markers generated by his attacks when he used them, and I'm sure I missed some, so he probably missed tons of bonus damage and cool effects. Would have been really nice to stick Wound on some of the tougher opponents, for instance.

Wow, it's been many weeks since we fought the Bandit Leader.
    That was our first Boss fight, and we missed the important point that he's immune to many effects, including Stun, so we Stun-locked him in place and beat the stuffing out of him. Oops.

edited March 2018
    Speaking of Bosses, just killed
    Jekserah. I'm thinking that Two-Boxes' enemy switching ability is a real Boss-breaker as she kept trying to hide behind a wall of Undead while Two-Boxes teleported her back to the front of the line. A rather easy fight, since the Summon Undead abilities were all that she used. It did help that Two-Boxes' bear drew x2 cards twice against her.

Fairchild on
  • Raw ConcreteRaw Concrete Registered User regular
    I put together the Broken Token organizer this weekend. Because I couldn't leave well enough alone, I also did two coats of ebony stain and a little painting so you could distinguish the tray icons again. Not quick to do -- applying stain took longer than the gluing and punching out -- but pretty happy with the results.

Oh, come and shake me 'till I'm dry
  • SolanalesSolanales CMYKMatter Registered User regular
    I put together the Broken Token organizer this weekend. Because I couldn't leave well enough alone, I also did two coats of ebony stain and a little painting so you could distinguish the tray icons again. Not quick to do -- applying stain took longer than the gluing and punching out -- but pretty happy with the results.

I'm actually using the BT organizer as well. I'm pretty happy with the player trays and such. The tuck boxes work well for enemies. The boss box can be a little tight until you learn the order for the standees, but it's a welcome helper considering the game can be a bear to organize.

P0P7S6y.png
    Basically she would replace the Tinker as a support character, I think; one of her interesting traits is that she has several attacks on the bottom of her action cards.
    This is presumably Sunkeeper. She's actually a ridiculous damage sponge more than anything else, though the guy playing her is prone to simplifying his approach to characters on purpose.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• SuperRuperSuperRuper Registered User regular
    So we just opened the Triangle class this weekend and I'm pretty exited to play it. It seems like what I wanted to play from the outset. Just one thing...I have no idea what the optimum strategy is. Any tips?
    I get that it revolves around generating/using elements. But from a glance it doesn't seem to make enough between turns to get rolling. I saw a tip to have teammates buy mana potions for your turns. Idk, I guess I'll just be vacuuming up any elements that are floating around every turn.

steam_sig.png
    PSN: ChemENGR
    SuperRuper wrote: »
    So we just opened the Triangle class this weekend and I'm pretty exited to play it. It seems like what I wanted to play from the outset. Just one thing...I have no idea what the optimum strategy is. Any tips?
    I get that it revolves around generating/using elements. But from a glance it doesn't seem to make enough between turns to get rolling. I saw a tip to have teammates buy mana potions for your turns. Idk, I guess I'll just be vacuuming up any elements that are floating around every turn.
    When we opened that one we concluded that it basically doesn't function without team members who also produce elements and / or late-game gear and a lot of Enhancements. I'm not 100% sure that's true - someone else had some suggestions for making it work,
    though I forget who.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular

If you don't mind my asking, what did that end up looking like and how did you do the painting post-stain? Do you mind sharing some pics?

I've got the Meeple Realty one (which is also natural wood), and I'm thinking of maybe hitting it with some cherry stain because I, too, make poor decisions. My main concern is that it would make the engraving a lot less legible.

I’ll share some pics this evening. I’d previously done a terraforming mars BT org with one coat (Minwax) and knew I’d want two to get it dark. I have not bothered with any poly, but might later. I didn’t stain the MDF.

The paint was a fairly quick job with some model acrylic I had around. I may do it again later (and I really should have primed first) but it works ok for the coin/damage and status trays. Have not tackled the map board instructions, I might try to do a mask and wash if I get ambitious.

• MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    re rep 10 box:
    This is presumably Sunkeeper. She's actually a ridiculous damage sponge more than anything else, though the guy playing her is prone to simplifying his approach to characters on purpose.
    The problem with Sunkeeper as a damage sponge is that having so much to do on the bottom of her cards means that she's giving up a lot of movement for her power. In a group with a mind thief and a two-box, I am never able to get into position to live up to her tanking potential. I won't even bring the retaliate card any more, as it's only triggered once in the four adventures I've carried into. I'm currently playing her as a heal/bless machine that can plug up a doorway once in a while if needed. I'm sure in another team comp she'd shine as a front line bruiser, but not ours.

Madpoet on
    Madpoet wrote: »
    re rep 10 box:
    The problem with Sunkeeper as a damage sponge is that having so much to do on the bottom of her cards means that she's giving up a lot of movement for her power. In a group with a mind thief and a two-box, I am never able to get into position to live up to her tanking potential. I won't even bring the retaliate card any more, as it's only triggered once in the four adventures I've carried into. I'm currently playing her as a heal/bless machine that can plug up a doorway once in a while if needed. I'm sure in another team comp she'd shine as a front line bruiser, but not ours.

If you've got Two-Boxes,
    then the bear is meant to be your tank anyway.

re rep 10 box:

If you've got Two-Boxes,
    We had both for a long while and could just get Sunkeeper near the bad guys then watch things kill themselves on her while the bear gnawed on the rest.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    re rep 10 box:

If you've got Two-Boxes,
    (sun and two box)
    With our party comp, we don't really have a tank. Every once in a while, something lives long enough to hit one of us, and I patch them up. Between bear and mind thief, the last big bad we fought
    Jekserah
    got to draw one whole card. I did a couple damage, two-box swapped them away from their entourage, and then next turn they both drew one of the handful of blessings I'd filled their deck with. It was a little anticlimactic.

Shot of the trays I painted. You can see the simple painting detail on the base of the compartments (looks 'rustic' rather than professional). :) The status tokens I used color, the other tray just did white for visibility.
    itopihc5o5m9.jpg

And a close up comparing post stain to pre-stain, edge of tuck box tray. Pretty obvious there's no finish coat.
    8rj5lcjz6oam.jpg

edited March 2018
    After taking a week off while our Scoundrel was sick, we resumed our delve into the Black Barrow with Scenario 2, whereupon we faced down the fearsome Bandit Leader.
    He immediately opened the first door, then summoned a skeleton. Then he sat there and did nothing much for a while, just a potshot or two before failing to summon another skeleton due to no available space. Meanwhile the Scoundrel poisoned him almost immediately — one of the status effects he is not immune to, mercifully. By the time he jumped to the second door, we had whittled away 35 of his 40hp. He died shortly after, leaving two rooms of zombies safely locked away but revealing his precious treasure chest for my Mindthief to loot.

After completing our mission, we returned to Gloomhaven where we took on a quick side job and gained enough XP for my Mindthief to level up! Which is good, because I've been having horrible luck with my combat goals so have accumulated zero checkmarks in three tries. But now I am immune to the scenario shafting me, which I'm sure will be handy. Also, I can now Hostile Takeover some poor bastard. Did some shopping and am now kitted out with a Cloak of Invisibility and Boots of Striding to go with my Poison Dagger and Minor Stamina Potion, not to mention the Sanctuary's Blessing after I donated some ill-gotten gains.

Everyone else is mostly right on the verge of their next level, except the Brute who missed out on the successful return attempt on Scenario 1 before somehow catching up with us for Scenario 2. Although he is still in range if he literally plays his cards right.

Vyolynce on
    nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
  • CesareBCesareB Registered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    After taking a week off while our Scoundrel was sick, we resumed our delve into the Black Barrow with Scenario 2, whereupon we faced down the fearsome Bandit Leader.
    He immediately opened the first door, then summoned a skeleton. Then he sat there and did nothing much for a while, just a potshot or two before failing to summon another skeleton due to no available space. Meanwhile the Scoundrel poisoned him almost immediately — one of the status effects he is not immune to, mercifully. By the time he jumped to the second door, we had whittled away 35 of his 40hp. He died shortly after, leaving two rooms of zombies safely locked away but revealing his precious treasure chest for my Mindthief to loot.

After completing our mission, we returned to Gloomhaven where we took on a quick side job and gained enough XP for my Mindthief to level up! Which is good, because I've been having horrible luck with my combat goals so have accumulated zero checkmarks in three tries. But now I am immune to the scenario shafting me, which I'm sure will be handy. Also, I can now Hostile Takeover some poor bastard. Did some shopping and am now kitted out with a Cloak of Invisibility and Boots of Striding to go with my Poison Dagger and Minor Stamina Potion, not to mention the Sanctuary's Blessing after I donated some ill-gotten gains.

Everyone else is mostly right on the verge of their next level, except the Brute who missed out on the successful return attempt on Scenario 1 before somehow catching up with us for Scenario 2. Although he is still in range if he literally plays his cards right.

Admittedly I'm only 2 sessions in, but one of the few things I don't really enjoy about the game is the way XP is handled. I really don't think the game should be rewarding me for using my cards in some particular way aside from how it impacts the field of combat. Luckily the people I'm playing with are all on the same page about pursuing scenario goals first, personal goals second, and XP a distant third, but I don't think I'd enjoy watching a party member pull ahead in XP specifically because they went after that rather than trying to contribute as much as possible to each fight.