As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Once more [Into The Breach], dear friends, once more;

BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is MandatoryRegistered User regular
edited February 2018 in Games and Technology
Into The Breach is a turn-based tactical game that looks a bit like this:

Imagine Edge of Tomorrow meets Pacific Rim meets Advance Wars and you've got a good idea of what you're in for. The Vek, kaiju-like behemoths, have overtaken the world, so you're sent back in time to stop them with a complement of equally gigantic mechs. You fight them on an isometric battlescape, where your goal is generally to survive an onslaught and complete bonus objectives, in one of four environments with unique attributes.

More info and screenshots can be found on the subset games webpage.

Much like FTL before it, a lot of the game is procedurally generated, and your playthroughs, be they victories or failures, lead to unlocking of new mech squads (each squad is comprised of 3 mechs, melee, ranged, and artillery) all of which have different attributes and types of attacks. On the battlefield, mech have pilots who gain experience through defeating the Vek, which can be done in a number of different ways. For example, on the ice terrain map, shooting ice turns it into water, and these kaiju can't swim. Alternatively, you can fire a shot so powerful it knocks the Vek back into a mountain, dealing extra environmental damage. Unlike games such as X-COM and Advance Wars, you can always see what your enemies are intending to do, whether it's new enemies burrowing up onto the battlefield, or a giant hornet trying to sting your mech (and yes, Vek attacks can damage Vek units), so good planning is critical. All the while you have to try and keep as many cities and power grids standing; losing the power grid over the course of the campaign is the strategic fail condition, and that's when you retreat to try and save another time line.

Oh, and as you might have noticed from the trailer, Ben Prunty is back for the music again, and they've got Chris Avellone on writing again as well!

Into The Breach is available on Windows platforms on Steam, GOG and Humble. The grapevine has indicated there should be later releases for linux and Mac as well.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
Bethryn on

• Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    I've been seeing a lot of chatter and really positive reviews over this game. Might pick it up soon if it holds up...

• BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Well it's officially released now, and the music is so, so good.

• SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    Well, this is an instant buy for me.

Gonna go home and beat up some aliens after work

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    This game is great. I first learned about it from DolphinChemist's stream a few days ago, where he was given the green light to show off the review copy. One run in the books before work, and I'm loving the gameplay and the music.

• taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    This looks really good but, even though it's pretty cheap it still kinda seems expensive for what it is? I dunno i'm just kinda iffy on it.

steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    All the reviews I'm seeing are "I'm going to play this forever" which seems like a pretty decent return on your money. FTL earned enough goodwill from me that I bought it sight unseen.

QPPHj1J.jpg
  • BradicusMaximusBradicusMaximus Pssssssssyyyyyyyy duckRegistered User regular
    edited February 2018
    I feel like it's well worth the 15 bucks

It has a lot more depth than I originally thought. Did 3 playthroughs so far and I can see myself sinking about as much time into this as I have with binding of isaac or ftl

edit: which is to say, too much

BradicusMaximus on
  • taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    I should have read the op more carefully =0 looking @ the steam page i was under the assumption it was a static campaign with no replayability, which is obviously not the case and changes things

steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    Bit the bullet and picked this up. Pretty sure this is going to get at least as much play as FTL.

• Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    I've played one campaign and won one campaign.

It's a neat design that's basically a random tactical puzzle generator.

Also all the squads that aren't the first one are way harder than the first team.

• ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Oh, this is intriguing. I really enjoyed the time I put into FTL, so something new from that team is in my wheelhouse. Intentionally (or otherwise) invoking a little Pacific Rim isn't hurting the cause either.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Steam says I've played this for 67 minutes, so why does it feel like I've been agonizing over it for several hours?
    This is Kaiju Chess.

The resist feature feels out of place, though. As far as I can tell, it's the one bit of RNG in the game, and in the best traditions of RNG it has consistently screwed me over. A resist of 31% should mean roughly a third of buildings resist, right? So losing six without it ever triggering is pretty frustrating.

Oh, and I found two pilots in pods. And promptly lost them in the very next missions.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Having a grand old time. Unlocked the Zenith team, and promptly dubbed one of the vehicles the murderbuggy for reasons that are apparent once you see the thing. Also got a win in.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    This game is fantastic so far

Yeah, I played and won my first Normal campaign with the default squad. Took around 4 and a half hours, and some seriously excruciating turns that feel so rewarding if you can actually find a good solution. The 'later' islands are very cool.

I love that your surviving pilot gets to go back and arrive in other campaigns too.

• TheColonelTheColonel ChicagolandRegistered User regular
    This game has the same death grip on me that FTL did. And that soundtrack!

This game is fun. Worth $15 for sure.

• PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Cleared easy after 3 islands. Unlocked first three squads... will try them out later.

That starting artillery mech is so damn good at repositioning shit. Saved my ass so many times.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    I feel like I'm missing something because the units have all these upgrades and there's all these weapons, but power cores to actually run anything are almost nonexistent.

Got up to the third island and I didn't even have enough power for a damage upgrade yet, at least not without outright crippling two of the three mechs by stripping away their health and movement. Combined with the enemies giving all their buddies armor, it was an unavoidable game over the moment I couldn't kill that thing on the first turn.

I feel like I'm missing something because the units have all these upgrades and there's all these weapons, but power cores to actually run anything are almost nonexistent.

Got up to the third island and I didn't even have enough power for a damage upgrade yet, at least not without outright crippling two of the three mechs by stripping away their health and movement. Combined with the enemies giving all their buddies armor, it was an unavoidable game over the moment I couldn't kill that thing on the first turn.

Rescue a time pod? Pretty good odds it has a reactor core.
    Clear an island? Buy some reactor cores.

Those are your main sources.

• DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    I made the mistake my first time thinking that I should buy some weapons with my stars. Couldn't even use 'em.

Oh no. Couldn't even use 'em.

You gotta buy cores.

The first squad I bought were Judoka Steel.

That run didn't go too well.

Womp womp.

• Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    I’m a big fan of the smoke squad from RST but also they’re so very painful when it comes to dealing with scions

• LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Been trying the Flame Behemoths, and jeez they're rough. You basically have one damage-dealing unit, and that damage is dependent on the enemy already being on fire. Otherwise your re-position game better be real strong.

QPPHj1J.jpg
  • ThemadcowThemadcow Registered User regular
    I don't pay full price for games.

Bought this day 1.

Quite frankly, I could set up a direct debit to subset for $5 a month for 10 years* and still not feel ripped off that I didn't get my money's worth - just based on the hours I put into FTL. And now they've gone and released a game in one of my top 3 favourite genres? TAKE MY MONEY!

Now just the 34 hour wait until I can play it thanks to the "Gaming Thursday" arrangement I have with 'er indoors.

* but, obviously I wont

I’m a big fan of the smoke squad from RST but also they’re so very painful when it comes to dealing with scions

The artillery piece can drop them pretty easily though.

• KelorKelor Registered User regular
    I bought the science team because one of the shadowed out models looked like a T-Rex with a railgun mounted on the side.

T-Rex railgun is pretty great, second is like one of the roaches that they have at airports that rams other units for two damage while taking one and the last one can pull units into itself to damage them as well as create bubbles on two units per battle.

There is a pick and mix option, so I might ditch the roller for Punch Mech.

• NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    Kelor wrote: »
    I bought the science team because one of the shadowed out models looked like a T-Rex with a railgun mounted on the side.

T-Rex railgun is pretty great, second is like one of the roaches that they have at airports that rams other units for two damage while taking one and the last one can pull units into itself to damage them as well as create bubbles on two units per battle.

There is a pick and mix option, so I might ditch the roller for Punch Mech.

Hey now, don't be hating on Murderbuggy.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
    The Mad Max style 'ram the kaiju' mech is my hero. In general, the designs for a lot of the mechs are really good.

• GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Although I am still getting my mind around the default squad, I am looking forward to hearing about folks' custom mech squads.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
    I've played one campaign and won one campaign.

It's a neat design that's basically a random tactical puzzle generator.

Also all the squads that aren't the first one are way harder than the first team.

Man, you aren't kidding. I picked up the blitzkrieg squad last night and I was getting stomped.

The chain lightning is a bit fickle to work around. Even after you upgrade to 0 building damage

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I can't wait to dive into this this weekend aaaaahhhh

• MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    Archimedes is hilarious in the fighter jet. Hell, smoke team is really great over all so far; you sacrifice direct firepower for the ability to set up debilitating traps for you to shove enemies into.

Is time a gift or punishment?
    Also, it's a tiny detail - but I loooooove seeing the little civilian quotes when you make the drop

Especially when you suck it up. "Thanks..I guess"

My biggest "oh shiiiiit" moment that made the game a ton easier was when I realized that you can make the bugs stand on the holes in the ground so they both block a new enemy from spawning AND take damage.

In my current run, one of my mechs has a passive that makes all enemies take double damage from blocking an enemy spawn. It's a good passive.

If you like that, you may enjoy Blitzkrieg as they have a mech that works quite well for just dropping boulders on spawn points. Sounds like it'd be a fun combo with that passive installed

Another cool thing I noticed is the UI doesn't just tell you the order of operations in the top right, it also tells you the order that enemies will attack in.

I managed to pull off a few seemingly impossible turns last night with a Rube Goldberg machine of bugs killing each other in a specific order, and it is SO satisfying when that happens.

• ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    Oh man I stayed up wayyyyy too late playing this last night

I bought the laser shield team, blitzkrieg, and the smoke team and I think the smoke team might be my favorite, but I swap the mech that pushes things around for the starting punchbot

I also found out a few things.

One, that you can take the "smoke clouds turn into lightning" passive off of the mech it starts on, if needed

Two, if you are running this team, by God keep your eyes peeled for the weapon upgrade that just drops a bunch of smoke on the battlefield, and pay attention on the desert maps

Finally, don't be afraid to be ridiculous with this game

I used three artillery mechs (cloud generator, starting artillery mech, and the blitzkrieg boulder mech) and it was incredibly fun and surprisingly potent, since I had so much control

I barely killed anything, but I was able to push bugs all over the place, and prevent a lot of damage

• Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    I am not that far in as I only got a couple hours in but I got better each run through. I like how when making decisions on placements and the like I can see my mistakes and watch them compound into lost energy. The game has the look of randomness but it is calculated to be winable by the looks of it. And with multiple paths too. Some of the maps where I made a mistake about pushing mobs over holes or the like I was still able to ink out no energy loss or avoid complete disaster with better play afterwards.

For 15 bucks this game will most likely be a fantastic bargain for me. Especially if they support it with more mech groups etc.