As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[phalla] Fortune of Fools - The Priests of Zalbanadur and Alluring Merchant Victory!

191011121315»

• LocusLocus Trust Me The seaRegistered User regular
    Speaking of which.....again with killing me the day after posting a vote count? Is that a new mafia ploy, kill anyone who posts a vote count?
    We knew you had traded your death power, so there was less danger of you hurting us after you died. That you had posted a vote count was just a coincidence. Sorry. :(

http://darkboard.freeforums.net

Mafia proboards. Should be unlocked, but honestly there's not much there.

• discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Gizzy wrote: »
    So I was in contact with 2 diff death seers, one who could use the power while living (Grunts) and one who could use it while dead (Discrider)

But apparently it was useless unless ZH died. (He told me after he saw the game was over he had an after death power to create death millers)

Ah ok.
    I had assumed day 1 that there would be no vote record unless I died and verified it.

• AustinP0027AustinP0027 Registered User regular
    Locus wrote: »
    Speaking of which.....again with killing me the day after posting a vote count? Is that a new mafia ploy, kill anyone who posts a vote count?
    We knew you had traded your death power, so there was less danger of you hurting us after you died. That you had posted a vote count was just a coincidence. Sorry. :(

How’d you know?

• LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    I was a guard upon death. Without knowing that there was a deathboard or way to communicate from it was fairly useless unless I knew who to protect. I assumed there was a medium or something that could but no one ever appeared or claimed.

Reached out to Kime day 2 because I figured they were village after being the one to announce everyone had powers, but that didn’t result in any meaningful networking either since it’s not like I could prove my power was real and not just a mafia digging for info.

• BluecyanBluecyan Buzz.. Buzz Buzz? BUZZ! Buzz buzz BuzzRegistered User regular
    For those few that died before I could talk to you. I could trade three different single use items at the cost of their soul. In game terms, it meant all of the at/after death abilities were lost, though I had no idea everyone had those so I was trying to be as coy as possible. Asking people to promise to do good knowing there and knowing there was no way to have power after death, though I ended up having to be a bit more specific. After learning everyone had soul powers I just advertised it as a power trade.

1) +1 Vote [one sold to Gizzy Day 5]
    2) Corpse-seer [One sold to kime Day 1]
    3) Poison (person dies after a day if not cured) [One sold to Auralynx Day 2]

My goal was to buy more souls than TRV saved. From what I gather, she was only able to sell one antidote to mamawolf.

Some notes:
    -I talked to several mafia, none approached me and none seemed eager to deal. I figured my power was a soft seer, with either mafia being soulless or having more powerful death abilities, they wouldn't have agreed.
    -I felt bad for Kime who couldn't use the corpse-seer stuff, was someone just not obscuring death results? Was that a Heirophant item similar to how the antidote would stop the poison?
    -Good job mafia, I had no idea who any of you were.

• Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    I turned you down because I could kill one person after death and I was afraid you were playing us somehow. Almost ordered you offed day 1 actually.

• discriderdiscrider Registered User regular
    Bluecyan wrote: »
    For those few that died before I could talk to you. I could trade three different single use items at the cost of their soul. In game terms, it meant all of the at/after death abilities were lost, though I had no idea everyone had those so I was trying to be as coy as possible. Asking people to promise to do good knowing there and knowing there was no way to have power after death, though I ended up having to be a bit more specific. After learning everyone had soul powers I just advertised it as a power trade.

1) +1 Vote [one sold to Gizzy Day 5]
    2) Corpse-seer [One sold to kime Day 1]
    3) Poison (person dies after a day if not cured) [One sold to Auralynx Day 2]

My goal was to buy more souls than TRV saved. From what I gather, she was only able to sell one antidote to mamawolf.

Some notes:
    -I talked to several mafia, none approached me and none seemed eager to deal. I figured my power was a soft seer, with either mafia being soulless or having more powerful death abilities, they wouldn't have agreed.
    -I felt bad for Kime who couldn't use the corpse-seer stuff, was someone just not obscuring death results? Was that a Heirophant item similar to how the antidote would stop the poison?
    -Good job mafia, I had no idea who any of you were.

Gizzy said above ZH could create "mafia" after he died, making the dead person seeing necessary at that point.
    ZH didn't die though

• SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    Can't really tell from proboards if either side really caught on but Grunt's Ghost and myself were actually SK's. I was immune, but died whenever Grunt's Ghost died. Good to see we were both targeted by the mafia and the village still had no chance in this - rough game for them.

Figured there was a good chance GG was going to get targetted after killing jdarksun - good on ya mafia

PSN SeGaTai
  • 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    Host Notes

In one of the past few games, someone commented on how the fool/vote bomb roles are pretty much out of rotation on the PA forums. The Fool wins by being voted out or killed so its pretty easy to win, but not much fun since you put yourself out of the game and have trouble interacting with other win conditions. I wanted to put a fool type role in and see if I could make it fun. Ended up with special abilities that can only be used from the other side. Gave mafia the ability to cull ghosts but gave the village someone to report that as well. I think it was an interesting experiment. A lot of the elements didn’t really come into play though since the game was really short. A large part of that is perhaps due to inactivity.

Unfortunately this game had four inactivus deaths in five days. That’s very high. Let me say right here that I don’t think less of anyone who has other things that are more important than an internet forum party game. I was hoping that the ghost mechanic and the choice at the start would drive some discussion and I think it was fairly successful in that the ghosts were pretty engaged, the living not so much. I’m sure some of this is a poor choice of vote close, but perhaps the game itself was not as engaging as previous games have been. In any case, the game died on the weekend and never came back. I’m not entirely sure what the right move here is in the event we want to keep running games. A long weekend still has less discussion than a normal day. Well Monday and Tuesday in this particular game is a bad example. Was this game just at a bad time in the year for people? Should weekends be an intermission? I confess I’d be okay not having to do any writing on the weekend which since having kids has become more difficult for me. Lunches to make and all that fun stuff.

I want to say there were some great insights that were sadly glossed over. @Gizzy put things together but there wasn’t enough activity to save the town. (We were on the cusp of having a final day. Mafia changed their kill orders 3 times in the last ten minutes as I hoped someone would come and vote or ping someone or something.) I think the ghosts really could have helped turn things around during an extra day. The ghosts definitely were treating their one time Ghost Post with Game info power like megalixers. None got used. I think infinite ghost posting may have been overpowered though. Thank you @Egos for the balance help, this was hard to do and we ended up throwing in the merchants last minute when we ran over the signups. Egos also had the idea to make the Serial Killer based off of the Killers in the Best Peter Jackson Movie.

Really all over the place on the elements for this one. We have the fortune teller from Ultima, the Tarot from Ogre Battle, and Castlevania music. The setting was original though, which perhaps made it less interesting? Basing things off of known settings is difficult for me as I get a couple of good ideas, and can’t figure out how to work them together. See Chaos in the Old World Phalla, Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood Phalla, All your base phalla, The Man Who Killed Batman, Naju, Second Version of Chaos in the Old World, Presidential, Musical, Class, Fallen London, Tropico, Shadowrun, Faxanadu. Or rather don’t because they are sitting half finished on my google drive.

Please let me know what you liked/disliked. Hopefully I can find something more engaging next time.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• MrTLiciousMrTLicious Registered User regular
    Yeah I just didn't have a bead on anyone. Not having death sources took away a surprising amount of info. I don't think there was anything unbalanced about the game - just an unlucky start.

• MamaWolfMamaWolf The wolf pack guides all to safetyRegistered User regular
    38thDoe wrote: »
    Host Notes

In one of the past few games, someone commented on how the fool/vote bomb roles are pretty much out of rotation on the PA forums. The Fool wins by being voted out or killed so its pretty easy to win, but not much fun since you put yourself out of the game and have trouble interacting with other win conditions. I wanted to put a fool type role in and see if I could make it fun. Ended up with special abilities that can only be used from the other side. Gave mafia the ability to cull ghosts but gave the village someone to report that as well. I think it was an interesting experiment. A lot of the elements didn’t really come into play though since the game was really short. A large part of that is perhaps due to inactivity.

Unfortunately this game had four inactivus deaths in five days. That’s very high. Let me say right here that I don’t think less of anyone who has other things that are more important than an internet forum party game. I was hoping that the ghost mechanic and the choice at the start would drive some discussion and I think it was fairly successful in that the ghosts were pretty engaged, the living not so much. I’m sure some of this is a poor choice of vote close, but perhaps the game itself was not as engaging as previous games have been. In any case, the game died on the weekend and never came back. I’m not entirely sure what the right move here is in the event we want to keep running games. A long weekend still has less discussion than a normal day. Well Monday and Tuesday in this particular game is a bad example. Was this game just at a bad time in the year for people? Should weekends be an intermission? I confess I’d be okay not having to do any writing on the weekend which since having kids has become more difficult for me. Lunches to make and all that fun stuff.

I want to say there were some great insights that were sadly glossed over. @Gizzy put things together but there wasn’t enough activity to save the town. (We were on the cusp of having a final day. Mafia changed their kill orders 3 times in the last ten minutes as I hoped someone would come and vote or ping someone or something.) I think the ghosts really could have helped turn things around during an extra day. The ghosts definitely were treating their one time Ghost Post with Game info power like megalixers. None got used. I think infinite ghost posting may have been overpowered though. Thank you @Egos for the balance help, this was hard to do and we ended up throwing in the merchants last minute when we ran over the signups. Egos also had the idea to make the Serial Killer based off of the Killers in the Best Peter Jackson Movie.

Really all over the place on the elements for this one. We have the fortune teller from Ultima, the Tarot from Ogre Battle, and Castlevania music. The setting was original though, which perhaps made it less interesting? Basing things off of known settings is difficult for me as I get a couple of good ideas, and can’t figure out how to work them together. See Chaos in the Old World Phalla, Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood Phalla, All your base phalla, The Man Who Killed Batman, Naju, Second Version of Chaos in the Old World, Presidential, Musical, Class, Fallen London, Tropico, Shadowrun, Faxanadu. Or rather don’t because they are sitting half finished on my google drive.

Please let me know what you liked/disliked. Hopefully I can find something more engaging next time.

A musical phalla would be fun!! My first phalla was the Hamilton one by @WACriminal

"May the moon watch over you and keep you safe through the night, 'till the morning comes and MamaWolf can protect you through the day"
  • BluecyanBluecyan Buzz.. Buzz Buzz? BUZZ! Buzz buzz BuzzRegistered User regular
    It felt like I was playing a different game from everyone else, I liked having an odd win condition and it was interesting to watch what was going on from the sideline.

I think the idea of powers after death was neat, but especially things like J4P's power, there probably shouldn't be a situation where a villager is better off dead than alive.

• BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    I think the ghost posts were hard to use because we didn't feel like we hard anything relevant to say.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    I've been busy moving stuff & helping family to a country house outside of town.
    I feel like It's been busy for me, even as someone playing Stellaris and the S.I. Megagame.
    There were a lot of mafia members, was one of my thoughts.

I think living player agency is more exciting than death powers.
    Possession could be an exciting ghost phalla mechanic.

VayBJ4e.png
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    I gained two extra abilities, and neither of them ever seemed useful :(

And then, I really had no idea who the mafia were. I'm really rusty haha

Thanks for running! It was fun

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • JusticeforPlutoJusticeforPluto Registered User regular
    I was a death seer, I could seer the living after I died. I definitively felt more powerful after death.

Its always hard to comment on balance with Phalla, since you only get one run. Seems to be like the village just got tabled by unlucky circumstances (No red deaths, inactive).

As for participation, well I usually feel like its better to lie low and vote than try to drive things. That can backfire quickly.

• RetabaRetaba A Cultist Registered User regular
    Thank you for hosting 38th! For me, I have a hard time seeing any issues largely because I think it was just unlucky for the village and the amount of inactivity didn't really help.
    There wasn't a lot to go on even with a mafia death for the village, made it easy to throw some hollow words out and just kinda coast. Was fun though :)

Locus wrote: »

How’d you know?

I think TRV told one of us? Not, like, ratting you out or anything. Just that the opportunity for that day's bonus had already gone to you.

edited February 2018
    Thanks for hosting 38thDoe! It was an interesting game!

Giving players something to do after death is a good idea, I think, to keep them engaged, and to give the living something else to ponder over. Maybe next time keep the death abilities secret from the players until they die, so that you avoid people trying to commit suicide (and then it's a fun surprise when they find out that the game continues!).

The uncertainty about the reliability of death results may have also hindered the village a bit, since it prevented the dead from being able to fully coordinate and make the best use of their abilities.

Locus on
    Yeah, I really do think a large portion of this can be chalked off to bad luck in the beginning.

I really do want to overemphasize how great I thought it was that dead folks were given something to keep them engaged. Given how infrequently we've been getting games as of late, it's extra painful to be knocked out early on. Having something you're able to do after makes it continued to be fun. I'd love to see that happening in more games, or at least, while we have this period of games run less frequently.

• GizzyGizzy i am a cat PhoenixRegistered User regular
    I had a lot of fun @38thDoe

Please host more games!

Switch Animal Crossing Friend Code: SW-5107-9276-1030
    Island Name: Felinefine
  • MamaWolfMamaWolf The wolf pack guides all to safetyRegistered User regular
    Thank you @38thDoe for running this game!! It was a lot of fun!!

I know for me, I was getting back in the swing of Phalla. It feels like it has been a loooong time since I was part of one. I'm still getting used to them haha

"May the moon watch over you and keep you safe through the night, 'till the morning comes and MamaWolf can protect you through the day"
  • JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Host Notes

First off I'd like to apologize for my super innactivity this game. For me it didn't have anything to do with the game, it was purely a combo of A) Real life being disrupted for un-phalla related reasons and B) it's been so long since I've played one of these that I honestly just never thought about it if I wasn't sitting at a computer with the forum page open. Back in the day when we had non-stop games, that was always something in the back of my head: gotta check on Phalla!

I've noticed several other comments about "being rusty" and such and I think that this is problably something we're all dealing with to one degree or another. I really hope it doesn't stop people from running games in the future, but i totally understand if hosts don't want to put in the effort to run a game that may or may not take off.

Maybe having more frequent, smaller games is a way to hep get people back in the flow? I'd assume that smaller games are also easier on hosts to run.

Anyway, thanks a ton for running 38th! You've whetted my whistle for Phalla and hopefully this game was just the beginning of a revival, even if it didn't do too well itself, participation wise!

JPants on
  • PredaPreda Registered User regular
    Sorry for being inactivus twice, but between the odd week end and work situation, it was unavoidable.

• 38thDoe38thDoe lets never be stupid again wait lets always be stupid foreverRegistered User regular
    I've been busy moving stuff & helping family to a country house outside of town.
    I feel like It's been busy for me, even as someone playing Stellaris and the S.I. Megagame.
    There were a lot of mafia members, was one of my thoughts.

I think living player agency is more exciting than death powers.
    Possession could be an exciting ghost phalla mechanic.
    Standard mafia in a thirty person game is six, beauty and the beast had seven vs a slightly smaller town.
    kime wrote: »
    I gained two extra abilities, and neither of them ever seemed useful :(

And then, I really had no idea who the mafia were. I'm really rusty haha

Thanks for running! It was fun

Egos and I never imagined that the antidote would outsell the poison.
    JPants wrote: »
    Host Notes

First off I'd like to apologize for my super innactivity this game. For me it didn't have anything to do with the game, it was purely a combo of A) Real life being disrupted for un-phalla related reasons and B) it's been so long since I've played one of these that I honestly just never thought about it if I wasn't sitting at a computer with the forum page open. Back in the day when we had non-stop games, that was always something in the back of my head: gotta check on Phalla!

I've noticed several other comments about "being rusty" and such and I think that this is problably something we're all dealing with to one degree or another. I really hope it doesn't stop people from running games in the future, but i totally understand if hosts don't want to put in the effort to run a game that may or may not take off.

Maybe having more frequent, smaller games is a way to hep get people back in the flow? I'd assume that smaller games are also easier on hosts to run.

Anyway, thanks a ton for running 38th! You've whetted my whistle for Phalla and hopefully this game was just the beginning of a revival, even if it didn't do too well itself, participation wise!

Smaller games are easier to keep track of, but there is a floor of work to do with narration and coming up with a theme and roles and such. Which is for me the hardest part of the whole thing. The design and balance part. So one person running multiple smaller games is not easier. At least not for me. Also I tend to like bigger games because you can fit more crazy roles.

I'm also hoping more people feel like hosting soon because I like to play too.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

• JPantsJPants Registered User regular
    JPants wrote: »
    Host Notes

Smaller games are easier to keep track of, but there is a floor of work to do with narration and coming up with a theme and roles and such. Which is for me the hardest part of the whole thing. The design and balance part. So one person running multiple smaller games is not easier. At least not for me. Also I tend to like bigger games because you can fit more crazy roles.

I'm also hoping more people feel like hosting soon because I like to play too.

Good things to keep in mind, thanks!

Do people who run games frequently have like a design doc template they use or kinda just write everything up from scratch each time?

I can't speak for everyone. I use a google doc where I write the OP (Mostly copied from previous OPs) and a google spreadsheet where I track votes, actions, and roles. I used to write all the roles pregame, but with the spam filter there isn't much point as its going to take a minimum of 30 min to send out 30 roles. Now I just write the abilities in the spreadsheet and see if I can balance it.

If you are interested I can share the documents.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀

I'll admit that my two major problems with hosting are 1) I have ideas that are probably 70% of the way there but I struggle with the final balance and 2) I'm still gun-shy from my last hosting attempt that didn't go well (specifically with game balance)

The two obviously feed off each other, so I never get in a state where I have a game I feel is ready to go.

At this point, I'd probably be better off assisting someone else with feedback, giving design thoughts, and generally admining stuff if that's helpful to someone. My challenge is that I'm likely not the person to help you balance an idea you already have, so I think I'm less useful to everyone who is looking for assistance.

That said, if we're short on games, and someone just wants feedback and we can toss out a "maybe it's balanced, maybe not" game to get people playing, I'm happy to assist.

There are a lot of veteran players and hosts who don't have time to play anymore who lurk the phalla signup thread. You can easily get someone to look over your game by asking there.

It is a really good idea to let someone else give something you made a once over. I've done 14 games and I still make sure someone else looks over my games.

So that way you can run a balanced game.

38thDoE on steam
    🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀🦑🦀