As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

ALL-BLACK THE [FASHION THREAD]

• JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Liiya wrote: »
    I see! Well, I learned something new! I must say I'm surprised to hear the US is poor in terms of bras, though. I would have imagined that the general sizes of women is a similar average...? Its not like Japan where the national average is to have a smaller frame or height.

Yup, it's really quite surprising how bad it is here!

I was accurately measured in La Senza back in the early 00s and they used to stock really decent sizes up to G/H cup before they were acquired by the same company that owns Victoria's Secret, then they went to shit.

I actually think Victoria's Secret has a lot to do with the issue with bra sizes in the U.S.; they're seen as the ultimate lingerie store, yet their range of bra sizes is so small, so either people are squeezed into them or told they're plus-size and have to go to somewhere like Lane Bryant.

And people automatically think plus size = huge band, but really, we have less fat around our ribs than elsewhere on our bodies and even plus-size people aren't going to have the kind of huge band measurement that plus-size stores assume they do! I am firmly plus-size right now and my band size is 'only' a 38. (Plus size bras tend to START at 38).

I know you can't fully equate bra band sizes to dress sizes but as a rough guide: A U.S. size 0-2 person is likely a 26-28" band size. A U.S. size 6 is likely a 32" band size. A U.S. size 10-12 is likely a 36" band size. If you're smaller than a U.S. size 12 and you tell me you're a 38"+ band size I'd place all my money on your band size being inaccurate.

What this all means is that if you're placed in a larger band size (because smaller people find it just as hard to find properly fitting bras as larger people do), your cup size is going to have to be smaller in order to fit.

So if you're a 28" band wearing a size 32" band, your cup size is going to be 2 sizes smaller than if you were wearing a 28" band bra.

Support in a well-fitting bra comes from the band size, not the cup size, so it's the most important measurement!

Janson on
  • DecomposeyDecomposey Registered User regular
    Someone with more tailoring skill than me needs to come up with a way to make modular bras. Because just because two tits are on the same chest doesn't necessarily mean they're the same size.

And it's annoying as fuuuuuuuck.

Before following any advice, opinions, or thoughts I may have expressed in the above post, be warned: I found Keven Costners "Waterworld" to be a very entertaining film.
  • LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Janson wrote: »
    I see! Well, I learned something new! I must say I'm surprised to hear the US is poor in terms of bras, though. I would have imagined that the general sizes of women is a similar average...? Its not like Japan where the national average is to have a smaller frame or height.

Yup, it's really quite surprising how bad it is here!

I was accurately measured in La Senza back in the early 00s and they used to stock really decent sizes up to G/H cup before they were acquired by the same company that owns Victoria's Secret, then they went to shit.

I actually think Victoria's Secret has a lot to do with the issue with bra sizes in the U.S.; they're seen as the ultimate lingerie store, yet their range of bra sizes is so small, so either people are squeezed into them or told they're plus-size and have to go to somewhere like Lane Bryant.

And people automatically think plus size = huge band, but really, we have less fat around our ribs than elsewhere on our bodies and even plus-size people aren't going to have the kind of huge band measurement that plus-size stores assume they do! I am firmly plus-size right now and my band size is 'only' a 38. (Plus size bras tend to START at 38).

I know you can't fully equate bra band sizes to dress sizes but as a rough guide: A U.S. size 0-2 person is likely a 26-28" band size. A U.S. size 6 is likely a 32" band size. A U.S. size 10-12 is likely a 36" band size. If you're smaller than a U.S. size 12 and you tell me you're a 38"+ band size I'd place all my money on your band size being inaccurate.

What this all means is that if you're placed in a larger band size (because smaller people find it just as hard to find properly fitting bras as larger people do), your cup size is going to have to be smaller in order to fit.

So if you're a 28" band wearing a size 32" band, your cup size is going to be 2 sizes smaller than if you were wearing a 28" band bra.

Support in a well-fitting bra comes from the band size, not the cup size, so it's the most important measurement!

Ahh I see! God thats disappointing about Victoria's Secret. Its started to become a bit popular over here, lets hope it never reaches full domination.

I guess I never thought about the band being where the support comes from but that actually makes sense come to think of it. Makes me think the US bra industry is ripe for the picking for the right retailer to supply good bras.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Decomposey wrote: »
    Someone with more tailoring skill than me needs to come up with a way to make modular bras. Because just because two tits are on the same chest doesn't necessarily mean they're the same size.

And it's annoying as fuuuuuuuck.

this feels like a billion dollar idea

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    If it's a non padded bra you could probably make a dart from base to centre in the cup that should be smaller. You will have to extract and reinsert the underwire (if any), and be careful not to sew through the channel.

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    As someone who has had to take his wife's bras to the sewing machine to patch up rips because a single GOOD bra in a size larger than a D is like a hundred and fifty+ goddamn dollars and must be treasured for years, I will gladly co-sign all of this. Bras are a horrible awful mess (in the US, at least).

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
    I got two of these left in my size earlier, whee (NSFW for link to lingerie model).

$26 for a bra?! YES PLEASE. Hopefully it fits the same as my previous Fantasie bras!

edited February 2018
    Why are bras like $50+ and panties like 8 for a nickle sometimes? I think I asked this before but I can't remember the answer and google search is alluding eluding me atm.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    edited February 2018
    Structure, reinforcement, tailoring, materials. Panties rarely contain metal, for one thing.

edit: Janson that is a VERY PRETTY BRA

tynic on
    tynic wrote: »
    Structure, reinforcement, tailoring, materials. Panties rarely contain metal, for one thing.

Huh yeah that makes sense.

I think the highest I've ever seen is like $30 (I'm sure there's higher)... but still didn't really seem that much better than the 8 for a nickle style in terms of anything really.

bowen wrote: »
    tynic wrote: »

Huh yeah that makes sense.

I think the highest I've ever seen is like $30 (I'm sure there's higher)... but still didn't really seem that much better than the 8 for a nickle style in terms of anything really.

I mean, with underpants, some are going to be overpriced because FASHION

but some are going to have much more comfortable edging, higher quality fabric, etc etc. I generally wouldn't pay more than say, $7 per pair (and can certainly find some pretty decent ones for less), but a lot of the really cheap ones will fall apart, or have the elastic sag, or be really uncomfortable. It's hard to tell just by looking.

I'm learning so much today

I will wield this power for good

• pookapooka Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    JoeUser wrote: »
    This is a monthly thing in my town. I haven't been, but I'm curious to see how Salem does goth.

gr0ttas5wskf.jpg
    i first read this as goth industry night, and thought, "Hunh, yeah, probably significantly more crossover there of those folk." not that service industry lacks goths, mind...

as someone with high sensitivy, there is a marked difference when you spend more -- i like certain cheap cotton undies, but it's more inconsistent, especially when compared to a high-quality, likely spendier brand. that may be a US brand thing, but cheap quantity usually has lower quality and consistency standards compared to even midrange brands, because of costs. shrug. go with what you find comfortable and affordable.

speaking of, i have like one bra that i am living in when i wear one, but fuuuuuck bra shopping at 30G-ish, i currently lack the patience (old as in >5+ year old 32DD Wacoal whatup). that's not counting my one sports bra, 28G Panache with a hook extender that is still kinda tight, blugh!

and speaking of THAT, i have a NWT 28FF i can't use if someone wants a solid wireless sports bra.

pooka on
    lfchwLd.jpg
    I ordered new underwear from Aerie since I really like my previous ones from there and they do 7 for $29

and they sent me one by itself, double-bagged. Aerie, plz. The rest had better come as one shipment or else I'm going to feel really terrible about the 28 plastic bags going into my recycling (plus how much are they wasting on postage?!).

• ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    I'm so goth my bra's underwire is barbed.

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    I'm so goth my bra's underwire is barbed.

That was really good

• LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    Straightzi wrote: »
    Punks and cyberpunks are also allowed, provided they keep reasonably within the margins of "None more black"

Steampunks are forbidden

Finally a place where I can post the height of cyberpunk fashion.
    JOxZ2SBh.jpg

Linked for full size in case it’s not readable.

Snow/rain boots!
    2018-02-27%2018.57.21.jpg

• Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    I ordered myself some new bras just before you posted that stuff last time, Janson, and they are definitely too small. I thought I was a C but I'm actually more like an E. Woops. So my new bras are not very good. I hate my boobs anyway.

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Janson wrote: »
    I ordered new underwear from Aerie since I really like my previous ones from there and they do 7 for $29

and they sent me one by itself, double-bagged. Aerie, plz. The rest had better come as one shipment or else I'm going to feel really terrible about the 28 plastic bags going into my recycling (plus how much are they wasting on postage?!).

I ordered some stuff from Target around the holidays. Stuff for me, presents for people, etc. About 12 items total (including like 4 single pairs of socks and a pair of underwear). They sent every single thing (even the socks and underwear) in separate shipping bags, all shipped on the same day, from the same warehouse. I came into work and our mail guy had dumped a fucking mountain of target bags on my desk.

• PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    The boots are cute, but I wanted to highlight how awesome I think those leggings are Janson.

Sad news: my set of third ear piercings healed up :(

Things I did:
    • I had them in for three months before removing them for even five minutes
    • Cleaned them thoroughly
    • Only took them out at night after about seven months
    • Went to a fully licensed and qualified piercer
    • Have had them for a year next month

So I did everything right but scar tissue just built up until I couldn't get one in anymore. A local piercer looked at them and told me it had healed over, and that there are some people whose ears just heal really quickly.

Sad :(

• OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular

Things I did:

So I did everything right but scar tissue just built up until I couldn't get one in anymore. A local piercer looked at them and told me it had healed over, and that there are some people whose ears just heal really quickly.

I wonder if Wolverine has the same issue.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

Things I did:

I bet Wolverine just wants to do fashion too!

That explains why he's always so angry.

• godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    He’s probably not shy about just jabbing the piercings back through though. Technically he is re-piercing his knuckles every time his claws come out!

Wait.

You have three ears?

Cool!

• StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Liiya I think the problem is that you did everything too right

Give me a couple of beers and a safety pin and a lighter and we'll get some proper holes in those ears

Straightzi wrote: »
    Liiya I think the problem is that you did everything too right

Give me a couple of beers and a safety pin and a lighter and we'll get some proper holes in those ears

Okay! What could go wrong?

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited February 2018

Things I did:

Wolverine's fashion game is sharp.

copilot-entertainment-fashion-201405-1400853823909_wolverine-hugh-jackman.jpg

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »

Things I did:

maybe if he was playing that game in 1972

Jeans and a leather jacket are pretty much fashionable all the time

Magic Pink wrote: »
    Zonugal wrote: »

Things I did:

maybe if he was playing that game in 1972

I think it was 1973, actually, but yes.

Xaquin wrote: »

still depends on design. ain't nothing fashionable about those jeans, they look dirty and too big. The shirt is literally drapes.

and that belt! :cry:

really the only reason that outfit works is he's Hugh Fucking Jackman and dude is built like a hard on.

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Wolverine can also clean up and get as bit modern with his look.

wolverine-5.jpg

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    It helps when you are Hugh Jackman mind

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    I think the shirt is good, fite me MP

BahamutZERO.gif

still depends on design. ain't nothing fashionable about those jeans, they look dirty and too big. The shirt is literally drapes.

really the only reason that outfit works is he's Hugh Fucking Jackman and dude is built like a hard on.

those jeans do not look too big

some guys don't want denim superglued to their thighs!

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    It's also literally the 70s in that photo

those jeans do not look too big

some guys don't want denim superglued to their thighs!

yes, bad people! especially when they have Hugh Jackman's thighs!

but for real them pants is hella loose fit.