As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Once more [Into The Breach], dear friends, once more;

• TynnanTynnan seldom correct, never unsure Registered User regular
    If FTL:AE is any indication, Subset is more than happy to provide post-launch support.

• MegaMekMegaMek Girls like girls. Registered User regular
    Man that last mission is no joke huh.

Is time a gift or punishment?
  • BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    MegaMek wrote: »
    Man that last mission is no joke huh.
    Last mission spoiler ahead
    Coming after the FTL Flagship, I was somewhat expecting the extra phase but it was still pretty nasty, especially with the tile destruction (thank god the Vek can be dumb with that stuff). Heck I was almost expecting a third phase.

Bethryn on
    ...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    For some bizarre reason I thought this was related to Dropzone...but they are totally different things.

This looks cool though. Although I don't feel immediately drawn to any of the mechs. Have to keep an eye on it

• mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    The fact that I have to work today and can't just stomp on bugs all day with my team of plucky badasses is a grave insult and I am not handling it well.

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
  • klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Victory!
    On Easy, but still. (Don't judge me)

I tried going straight from that to Hard and holy shit they're not playing around. I beat the first mission with 2 grid power left, and my artillery pilot killed. So I let that timeline go die on its own, and tried Normal. Slightly better on grid damage, but I still lost a pilot on my second mission.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • KelorKelor Registered User regular
    I was all set up on the last turn of the final mission, used all three of my mechs to push the boss bug in between two bugs that were about kill a building.

Except I forgot that square was going to collapse, the boss bug falls through the earth and spares the lives of it's minions.

Who proceed to destroy the rest of the grid.

• BradicusMaximusBradicusMaximus Pssssssssyyyyyyyy duckRegistered User regular
    Kelor wrote: »
    I was all set up on the last turn of the final mission, used all three of my mechs to push the boss bug in between two bugs that were about kill a building.

Except I forgot that square was going to collapse, the boss bug falls through the earth and spares the lives of it's minions.

Who proceed to destroy the rest of the grid.

We can fix this! *resets turn*

• Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    For some bizarre reason I thought this was related to Dropzone...but they are totally different things.

This looks cool though. Although I don't feel immediately drawn to any of the mechs. Have to keep an eye on it

Weasel this game is about the world ending and permeates a constant sense of dread and impending doom.

The question isn't whether you will fail - it's when.

In other words it should be right up your alley! :D

• kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    I haven't had a chance to play yet.

My understanding is that you can go to the final boss area pretty early in a playthrough? But it scales based on how much you complete before going to it. What's the point of completing more islands if the boss just scales with you? (This may be abundantly clear upon playing, I'm just curious now.)

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile

Weasel this game is about the world ending and permeates a constant sense of dread and impending doom.

i do have a certain level of expertise in failure

• Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular

i do have a certain level of expertise in failure

We all do! That's what makes it so fun!

/sob

• SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »

My understanding is that you can go to the final boss area pretty early in a playthrough? But it scales based on how much you complete before going to it. What's the point of completing more islands if the boss just scales with you? (This may be abundantly clear upon playing, I'm just curious now.)

Higher score. The more missions you complete, the more civilians you can potentially save. Your score is the number of civilians you have saved from the bugs.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    Let me ruin something for everyone. Now that I've seen it, I can't unsee it

This pilot? Hes a cartoon dog
    e00m4867iqms.gif

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    kime wrote: »

Higher score. The more missions you complete, the more civilians you can potentially save. Your score is the number of civilians you have saved from the bugs.

Also there's at least one achievement/medal for completing a 2, 3, and 4 island campaign.

Just had my first disasterlearning experience with Blitzkrieg. Gosh, those are tricky to get the hang of, huh?

I got a passive the keep blocking spawns from doing damage, a shield on another unit, plus the boulder thrower, which meant I could plug holes indefinitely, if only I could deal with the enemies that were already up.

The electric attack jumping between units could be really strong, but it was tricky to group them up so they weren't touching friendly targets. (Guess how my campaign went sideways. Go on, guess)

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    I bought this today and finished my first island. After a lot of agonizing deliberation, everything went pretty smoothly, although I made a bit of a mess on the last map after I tried to drown the boss. Wound up having to shoot him into a building in the end, killing about 800 people.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • Vic_HazardVic_Hazard Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Well I made it, next squad go go!

Honestly getting Silica as my first found pilot and putting him in the tank was pretty OP. Firing twice for 2 damage a piece after the first island? Yes please.

Vic_Hazard on
  • WyvernWyvern Registered User regular
    In the first mission of the second island, I tried to body-block two of the charging Vek on the assumption that their attack did one damage. It did three. All of my good pilots died, leaving only Isaac the scientist with worthless perks cowering in the artillery. The rest of that island went...not well. My tank was controlled by the onboard AI basically the whole time. But we survived.

Thankfully, I was able to recover over the next two islands, rescuing and training new pilots until I had a proper squad again. Most of the equipment offered by the corps was unusable science garbage, but I got a nice spear for my Prime on the first island for a discount, which became my primary weapon for the whole run. Beyond that I mostly just spent my modules on stats, with a generic missile swarm and passive health aura for the other guys.

Ultimately I got a four-island Normal win on my first attempt, even after that huge fuckup. I might have to switch to hard once I have more unlocks! I never did stop blowing it against those damn chargers though...so many buildings were lost when their defending mechs were thrown into them.

Switch: SW-2431-2728-9604 || 3DS: 0817-4948-1650
  • furbatfurbat Registered User regular
    I played so much FTL. I just got back into binding of isaac and am playing a ton of slay the spire.

I have to resist this for as long as I can.

Wait...are the aliens available as playable characters?

Just had a run ruined because the damage notification for a rocket launch was obscured by webbing.

I really, really hate losing runs because of shit like that.

• NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    uZqebNp.jpg
    Murder.
    Buggy.
    Got the regain health on a bug kill passive too.

It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    NEO|Phyte wrote: »
    uZqebNp.jpg
    Murder.
    Buggy.
    Got the regain health on a bug kill passive too.

Yeah I was rolling about the same (though only 5 health) last run and it's near unstoppable.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • credeikicredeiki Registered User regular
    All right I'm on vacation so I've played this for maybe half of the last 24 hours and it's fantastic.

1. Going for the 30 minute Biltzkrieg speedrun is actually really fun. Going from ragequitting after having to demolish a timeline because my chain lightning killed my artillery during the first turn, twice, as in I redid the turn and promptly fucked it up again, to a laser-focused 2-3 min per level GO GO GO mentality was neat. I went Ice Island-->Archives for my two islands; I think Detritus would be too hard.

2. Squad that poops smoke clouds is surprisingly effective, especially if you can get the repulser bot an extra weapon that makes smoke. They're fun and really taught me about turn order (environmental effects go first!)

3. Aggro mech that kills itself when ramming into enemies really irritates me, but I now have a pilot who gives armor, so I'll give it another go, I suppose

4. Flamethrower squad feels pretty bad

I've just unlocked the ultra-high damage squad so I'm quite curious to see how they are

I've been playing on normal and have only beaten it once; I'm finding it more fun to try to go for all four islands and get different squad achievements instead of heading right to the end

Steam, LoL: credeiki
  • mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    This game is really good and I'm going to be playing it for a very long time. XD

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Steel Judoka is pretty fun if it gets going. That gravity bomb mech is deceptively strong since it lets you pull regardless of anything being in the way and it can damage enemies by pulling them into things. Like other enemies. It really, really needs heavy investment into that judo bot to get the damage boost on the throw though. And the artillery bot desperately needs "doesn't damage buildings".

Polaritie on
    Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Interestingly the Random & Custom squads have an associated set of achievements just like the pre-built teams...

So naturally...
    59D7CF811319CCCCD2C064ACD297C0905FBD5715

Sokpuppet on
  • AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Sokpuppet wrote: »
    Interestingly the Random & Custom squads have an associated set of achievements just like the pre-built teams...

So naturally...

Hahaha

danger zone

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Use Blitzkrieg and position your units as a conduit for dumbass YOLO lightning shenanigans. Feels good. This is clearly not a winning, long term strat, but feels good.

• GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    credeiki wrote: »
    2. Squad that poops smoke clouds is surprisingly effective, especially if you can get the repulser bot an extra weapon that makes smoke. They're fun and really taught me about turn order (environmental effects go first!)

I got the Smoke Jump. There was a lot of smoke.

• BremenBremen Registered User regular
    Also, it's a tiny detail - but I loooooove seeing the little civilian quotes when you make the drop

Especially when you suck it up. "Thanks..I guess"

I just dropped a shield on a city that was about to get stomped and it said "Will this hold?"

• BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Sokpuppet wrote: »

So naturally...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhuJn7hy_hg

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    I’m a big fan of the smoke squad from RST but also they’re so very painful when it comes to dealing with scions

The artillery piece can drop them pretty easily though.

Yeah but using your main damage source to clean up a non-threatening enemy is a pain in the ass.

Also my last RST run ended when, after picking up extra range jet mech and smoke bomb, there was literally too much smoke on the field for me to act and everyone died.

• milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    The Blitzkrieg squad feels like it needs the rock thrower to have 1 more hp or armor so you could zap through it without killing it.

I don't even know if you can channel lightning through the rocks!

I ate an engineer
  • SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    I ruined a pretty good Steel Judoka run by replacing the gravity mechs weapon with a weapon that reverses the attack of a Vek unit.

I'm sorry, timeline 4592832, we failed you!

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • Vic_HazardVic_Hazard Registered User regular
    And got my second win. Silica with the smoke jet is ridonk. Actually the whole smoke squad was ridonk, even better than the first squad probably.

Gonna try fire next.

Standing next to launching rockets.

#Don'tDoWhatJohnnyDontDoes

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
  • GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Vic_Hazard wrote: »
    And got my second win. Silica with the smoke jet is ridonk. Actually the whole smoke squad was ridonk, even better than the first squad probably.

Gonna try fire next.

Between the smoke and bubbles, upgraded Rusting Hulks offer so much crowd and map control <3

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    It's really interesting how this game makes you think about Acceptable Losses. Sometimes you need to shove a bug into a building, because leaving it alive (and the building undamaged) would actually be worse.

Yesterday I couldn't kill a bug that was aiming at a power reactor, and the closest mech was one square too far from being able to to body-block the attack, but then I thought "Wait, can I..." and it turned out that yes, I could position my punch-mech in the square adjacent to the bug's projectile path and then use the cannon mech to carefully, surgically shoot-push my own mech into the projectile path. It took a bunch of damage from the friendly fire AND the bug's attack, but that's war.

• BradicusMaximusBradicusMaximus Pssssssssyyyyyyyy duckRegistered User regular
    I'm particularly fond of attacking vek and pushing them into my other squadies

I like to imagine they're doing some dope 1-2 combo because I'm lame