As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Project Zomboid

12345679»

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I'm doing a "metagaming" run (the one I have kept mentioning in here) on my home computer, where I try to pick the best beneficial traits and the least detrimental negative traits.

On my laptop, I'm doing a "roleplaying" run. I decided to roll up a character that's your stereotypical basement-dwelling nerd who is inexplicably confident they would survive the zombie apocalypse. He's obese, he's feeble, he's short-sighted, and he's agoraphobic. But on the plus side, he's got an iron stomach from all the pizza and Mountain Dew, he's dextrous from all the vidja games, he's a decent shot, he can see in the dark really well, and he doesn't need a lot of sleep.

I've survived one day with him, but man, it was rough.

Glad you pointed out you were going to for a stereotype, but really, how true is that stereotype anymore now that "nerd" is mainstream? Now that being a "nerd" can be chalked up in some social "pro" (as in pros and cons) due to higher income, shared interests, intelligent, knowledgable, caring, crafty, inventive, creative, accepting and thus an attractive trait for prospective mates for that and more, nerds are more confident than ever that they could survive a fictional zombieland. Yours is more a stereotype of the 80s and 90s, the new millennium has given way to a different stereotype...

How would the new millennial nerd stack up against your older stereotype I wonder...

I dunno, but my nerd is on day 4 and he's building a fortress at the logging site.

And yeah I'm specifically doing the stereotype. As somebody who self-identifies as a nerd but consider myself reasonably attractive, with a good job and a life, I would never think of applying that label to all "nerds". I just wanted to roleplay the mouth-breathing slacker type.

• Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    I'm doing a "metagaming" run (the one I have kept mentioning in here) on my home computer, where I try to pick the best beneficial traits and the least detrimental negative traits.

On my laptop, I'm doing a "roleplaying" run. I decided to roll up a character that's your stereotypical basement-dwelling nerd who is inexplicably confident they would survive the zombie apocalypse. He's obese, he's feeble, he's short-sighted, and he's agoraphobic. But on the plus side, he's got an iron stomach from all the pizza and Mountain Dew, he's dextrous from all the vidja games, he's a decent shot, he can see in the dark really well, and he doesn't need a lot of sleep.

I've survived one day with him, but man, it was rough.

Glad you pointed out you were going to for a stereotype, but really, how true is that stereotype anymore now that "nerd" is mainstream? Now that being a "nerd" can be chalked up in some social "pro" (as in pros and cons) due to higher income, shared interests, intelligent, knowledgable, caring, crafty, inventive, creative, accepting and thus an attractive trait for prospective mates for that and more, nerds are more confident than ever that they could survive a fictional zombieland. Yours is more a stereotype of the 80s and 90s, the new millennium has given way to a different stereotype...

How would the new millennial nerd stack up against your older stereotype I wonder...

Well if I can be so bold as to define myself as a new millennial nerd, once the internet goes down then I'm going to be seriously foobared...

• Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    I tried my first "burn the zombies to death" run and it worked really well, except that I was too close to the fire when it started and burned my left hand. Burns take forever to heal in this. It's been 15 days and I'm still changing bandages, disinfecting, etc.

If this doesn't heal soon I'm gonna have to make a risky trip into town to replenish my medical supplies.

I've been alive for more than 3 months now. It would be a real shame if I died now, this is the longest I've ever survived.

• Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    What effect does burning Zombies have?

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    edited August 2015
    What effect does burning Zombies have?

If you set up a campfire and lure them through it (either by running nearby zombies or pressing Q to shout at them, then kiting around the fire,) they all burn. Fire spreads through groups quickly. It takes a relatively long time, but eventually they all collapse and burn to ash. Unfortunately this leaves nothing to loot, but it's a great strategy when you've got a billion zombies around and there was never any way you were going to kill them all manually in the first place.

Note though that fire doesn't just spread to zombies. You'll need to ensure you can maintain a decent distance away from them, as well as all the fire that will spread out from them as they come after you. It's ideal to do this on a concrete surface (like I did) because it limits the spread, although it's still pretty nasty. Doing this on grassland or failing to kite zombies away from your base will result in everything you hold dear burning to the ground.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    Man you are making me really want to pick this up again. I really want to hold off until the NPCs are back though. The world just feels so empty with just you in it.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    There's still metanoises occasionally (helicopter sounds, gunshots, etc.) to move the zombies around and it helps to make you feel like there are other people out there somewhere. But yeah, I'm looking forward to NPCs too. It'll give a use to firearms again outside of multiplayer. Right now shooting just rings the dinner bell and is an excellent way to put yourself on the plate.

• Options
    New patch coming!
    -Fixed highlighting on carpentry doors when placing them. (Issue #002080)
    -Fixed being able to build multiple doors on a door frame. (Issue #002079)
    -Fixed not being able to build doors in "walls with door hole" without a frame.
    -Fixed destroying a door frame leaving a floating door. (Issue #002077)
    -Fixed exception when a controller.config file specifies an invalid axis.
    -Fixed non-admins sometimes seeing local chat of invisible players in chat log.
    -/grantadmin and /removeadmin now update the 'admin' status of connected players.
    -Fixed spamming "Chop Tree" cutting trees faster. (Issue #002054)
    -Fixed exception after removing a DrainableComboItem from inventory. (Issue #002086)
    -When loading items, discard any items whose saved type does not match that in items.txt.
    -Fixed deactivating a mod deactivating all it's required mods. (Issue #002091)
    -Crafted items that don't fit in the player's inventory are dropped. (Issue #002085)
    -Fixed axe condition lowering 2x as fast when attacking a tree compared to the "Chop Tree" action. (Issue #002090)
    -"Not effected" -> "Not affected" Outdoorsman trait description. (Issue #002089)
    -Instead of writing the server's IP address in player files to prevent copying, give each server a randomly-generated ID number saved as ServerPlayerID= in the server's INI file. If ServerPlayerID="", then this protection is disabled.
    -Added right-click menu to Chat with Clear command.
    -Limit chat messages to 256 characters to combat spamming.
    -Added "Local IP" to the saved-servers list for Steam servers. If you are trying to connect to a server on your local network and it fails when testing the TCP download port, set your server's LAN address in the Local IP field. (Issue-2092)
    -Limit helicopter sounds to one every half hour of game time.
    -Added Mac server scripts for running a server from the install directory (not SteamCMD).
    -There's a new UI to help people configure their controllers. The blue area on each axis is the "dead zone". The number of each axis and button are what go in the controller's .config file.

Bolded all the really important stuff.

One of the dumbest things was not being able to build a door in an existing door frame after the door was knocked down. Used to be you had to sledgehammer the entire wall down (if you could find one!), build your own custom door frame and then you could install a new door.

And man am I looking forward to not constantly hearing helicopters. I'm not sure if they're replacing it with some other metanoise like screams or dogs barking, or if they're just reducing the incidences of helicopter metanoises totally, but either one is a welcome change.

• Options
    Demi GourdDemi Gourd Registered User regular
    Build 33 is out today! Huzzah!

TV stations and radios - be careful, having them on is a fun distraction but the noise can attract zombies
    New Herbalist profession trait that let's you forage for plants and make medicenes
    Lots of varied kinds of houses now, some boarded up, some burnt down, some filled with dead zombies, and more

Also be sure you give the Hydrocraft mod a try, too. It adds hours of more gameplay, 100+ crafting recipes and items.

• Options
    edited May 2016
    Build 34 is out!
    Public 34.23 released!

There were many fixes and tweaks, here are the highlights:

All-new double-sized textures.
    Easy Co-op server hosting from in the game.
    Double-sized Tilesets option for low-spec machines.
    There's a new server-settings editor in-game.
    Barricades are allowed on both sides of a door/window. For doors, barricades absorb all damage before the door takes any, to stop the door being destroyed before the barricades. For windows, a barricade absorbs damage only when it is between the attacker and the window. When removing a barricade, one plank at a time is removed.
    Allow rain barrels to be moved.
    Added SleepAllowed and SleepNeeded server options for multiplayer sleeping. Players may sleep at any time. When all players are asleep, the server clock speeds up. Players sleep until they wake themselves by aiming or moving. Players may wake other players. Zombie attacks also wake players.
    Fireplaces work like campfires.
    Wood stoves now work like campfires. They emit light, warm/dry the player, can be used for cooking, and don't require electricity.
    See-through doors. Hang sheets on see-through doors.
    Fixed walls and solid objects on the floor below blocking movement going up stairs.
    Staircases may now be placed above another staircase.
    Crates can now be moved with the furniture-moving commands. When building new crates, the height is chosen automatically (no need to use the R key). Currently, this allows stacking crates on top of tables as well, although that might change. Destroying crates lower in a stack should cause the higher crates to drop down.

Allow digging farm plots with a shovel.

The "levelup" sound only plays when a point may be spent. It plays in these 2 cases:

1) The player gained a point while already having enough XP for a new perk level.

2) The player gained enough XP for a new perk level, and already had a point to spend.

Added "Zoom Levels" checkboxes to the options so users can choose zoom levels.

Added "Pour into" submenu so you can choose what to transfer water into.

"Fill" is now a submenu of items that water can be transferred into instead of having separate menu items (when taking water from a sink, for example).

Smoke bomb changes:

- No longer start fires in multiplayer.

- Now work when fire is disabled in multiplayer.

- No longer emit light.

- Don't burn corpses.

- Use a larger smoke sprite when first triggered.

Memory-leak fixes in multiplayer.

Bags now displayed on ground.

New community translations.

Ham icon looks far less like a penis.

The game is very pretty now, with new high-res textures for everything.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    Ham icon looks far less like a penis.

Pre-order cancelled!

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    Looks like there's a major update coming up. It looks sweet as hell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0jwcqjdELk

The developers are also working on revamping stealth, and allowing you to do things like peek around corners.

• Options
    f3rretf3rret Registered User regular
    You got me all excited for a second there! I thought something was imminent, or I missed a recent Mondoid. The animations update will be huge, since it involves reworking combat as well. I don't think it's close though, even though they teased us with that video 2 months ago.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Man, this game has been in production a loooong time. I know it's a small team and they had that horrible setback with the codebase being lost, but still.

• Options
    Game Development is fucking hard. No joke.

• Options
    BroncbusterBroncbuster Registered User regular
    edited July 2016
    I am hosting a small PVE server with HydroCraft if anyone is interested. We have about 3 active and 5 total that play. Started the map yesterday.

Hydrocraft has a crazy amount of loot.

Broncbuster on
    steam_sig.png
    Origin: Broncbuster
  • Options
    I've heard Hydrocraft mentioned before but nobody has ever explained to me what it is.

Um, what is it?

• Options
    BroncbusterBroncbuster Registered User regular
    It adds more crafting recipes for some professions, a number of professions, most noticeably a long road to become a blacksmith and craft metal tools. Just a ton of changes.

steam_sig.png
    Origin: Broncbuster
  • Options
    f3rretf3rret Registered User regular
    Metalworking is in the base game now, in IWBUMS.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Man you are making me really want to pick this up again. I really want to hold off until the NPCs are back though. The world just feels so empty with just you in it.

3 years later, and still no NPCs.

I check this game out occasionally and even look at their but I apparently haven't invested in enough time in to figure out where they are going with this game.

• Options
    CanadianWolverineCanadianWolverine Registered User regular
    I am still playing it.

These days, I will go find a stream of someone playing it and if they just discovered it, I help them out with advice if single player or directly if multiplayer.

I think the latest development build versions of the game has the Devs working vehicles into the game.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    ...Haven't there been vehicles in the game for like 2 years? Maybe I used a workshop mod, but I recall decently realized (including drivable) cars.

But I also haven't played in a good long while.

• Options
    Nope, no vehicles in the main build.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Vehicles were released in the main build today!

Time to fire this back up and give them a go.

• Options
    edited May 2018
    Vehicles update impressions:

Whoa, this is a gamechanger. Yes, they are noisy. Yes, it’s difficult to find the keys if you can’t hotwire one. Yes, they require gasoline which is already decently hard to find. But holy crap, do they make long-distance trips not just feasible, but even appealing.

I screwed up the input and accidentally climbed through a window with broken glass, and I didn’t have anything to disinfect my bandage with. When I removed it later to change it out I had an infection. Prior to this update this would have meant a slow death at worst or wasting one or more days on a potentially deadly trip to a drugstore at best. When I saw I had an infection, I hopped in my RV, rolled down to the clinic, broke in and got some antibiotics, jumped back in the still-running automobile and flipped off the zeds as I drove away. It took about an hour of in-game time.

10/10 would drive again

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    I spent like a few hours on this game a few years ago, how many players does multiplayer support?

• Options
    I’m not too sure but if someone wants to make a PA server and try to clear out the mall I’m game

Typically when I play I turn zombie spawning off because it feels cheap to have them appear out of thin air

There are enough zombos in the world to kill me without needing them to materialize

• Options
    Generators are suddenly viable now that it is possible to transport vast quantities of fuel over long distances. I am stockpiling full gas cans for when the power goes out by driving my big ass van to the gas station and packing it to the brim. I feel like I’m reenacting The Gang Solves The Gas Crisis.

• Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    Oh man vehicles are a real game changer!

A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    Rise from your grave!

So I've been aware of this game for some time, and its interesting looking through the last couple of pages talking about the various dev dramas that occurred many years ago because I was completely unaware of any of that, but regardless of what may have happened in the past it seems as though the project is, ironically, far from dead, and progress is now being made at a decent pace by a (what appears to be) competent dev team. For those who've just joined us, the playerbase is currently split in half because of an upcoming new update which changes a lot of things and breaks save compatibility... but if you're going to play right now, you want the beta branch, trust me on this. Combat was reworked, they're in the process of converting all of the old 2D objects to 3D, and re-implementing multiplayer which became broken at some point due to all of the other changes. There's also a sound pass going on, and in the last couple of updates I've noticed we've gone from every metal weapon sounding exactly the same to having crowbars make a satisfying *thwack* and shovels having the satisfying *PAF* sound you would expect, e.t.c.

I used to try to be all super-hardcore and play one save = one life, but more recently I've taken to just creating a new character on the same save when the last one dies. Because doing so was the only way I was ever going to live long enough to see things like farming, the power/water switching off and having to set up a generator and water supply, e.t.c.

Anyone else playing this? I was introduced to it in its current form by this video, but only actually started playing a couple of months ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkOuxKS6ZBU

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    I haven't played since they buffed zombies about a year ago (where they were super dangerous when knocked down since they could scratch you fairly quickly), but I have been planning on playing again recently. There are a couple of mods that add NPC survivors that I want to play around with. Supposedly the devs are adding that as well, but I'm sure it's a ways off. I really like the game, but I think it would be improved with some humans thrown in the mix, a la State of Decay 2.

• Options
    I really love this game still but I stopped playing because improving any skill takes so lon- *head hits the desk* ZZzzzzzzzz

• Options
    MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    Agreed. Doesn't help that I always get too adventurous in exploring and get killed pretty often, mind you. But also that.

"now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Mr RayMr Ray Sarcasm sphereRegistered User regular
    edited December 2021
    The long awaited multiplayer update finally released! Which is to say the long-awaited beta 41 multiplayer update finally released, i.e, the version that everyone actually plays because the main branch hasn't been updated since they started doing the big 3D object conversion. Aaaaand, I have nobody to play it with since my only friend who plays zomboid is out of town until next week. Lame. Maybe I'll be able to find a community server that doesn't suck.

If you're planning to dive in, play with friends and expect jank. The devs have been very up-front that this is an early, early release and subject to bugs, exploits and jank, which is why its currently separate even from the other "experimental" branches, but they wanted to put something out before the Christmas break. There's a known issue that you seem to end up with more zombies than you should the more players are on a server for reasons they haven't quite figured out, and it tends to get unstable after a while with too many players, which is why the servers are currently limited to 16 players. But longer-term there are plans to support at least 32 and hopefully more!

Mr Ray on
  • Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    Yay zombies!

Drop your hot tips guys, I have no clue what I’m doing.

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I’ve been addicted to this over my break. I’m running a ton of mods though. Looting Fort Knox is real good. So many guns and ammo.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    akjak wrote: »
    Yay zombies!

Drop your hot tips guys, I have no clue what I’m doing.

Ok.

Let's see, off the top of my head, pretend you're in like some IRL major natural disaster and then do that (with some added "it's the end times, blow off some steam"):

S.T.O.P.

Stop:
    - The importance of slowing down and not panicking can't be over stated. At the start of the game, relaxing to watch some Life and Living TV channel is a great boost to the skills of early game. https://pzwiki.net/wiki/Life_and_Living_TV Just in general, slowing down to a walk or sneaking will save your butt a ton in the game.
    Think:
    - If you took the first step, then you get time to take inventory. You can pin the inventory window for what is on the floor or in a container as your character faces those sections for a quick way to see what you could add to your inventory but you don't want to carry all that weight, your inventory is limited, so one of your first goals is improving that weight distribution and personal storage space, a bag or backpack of any kind really. Then, what you fill your pockets and hopefully bug out bag with should meet your hierarchy of needs with the rules of three:
    3 minutes without oxygen (don't run a generator indoors is basicly one of the few things to impact breathing other than exerting yourself too much by carrying heavy objects or sprinting more than your character can handle)
    3 hours without protection from the elements (dress in layers, remove if too hot, put on if too cold, have a few means of starting a camp fire from the crafting)
    3 days without water (empty bottles are handy, filled with clean water, your character will automatically look after thirst if you have it in your main inventory)
    3 weeks without food (a can opener, a bowl, and a knife can set you up with all kinds of basic recipes that go a long way in not just satiating hunger but helping mood and physical health as well)
    But seeing as its a zombie apocalypse out there, let's add at least one weapon but thankfully you're never really without one, you can shove and you can stomp, especially if you have boots on. After that, any weapon will do and foraged crafted weapons from the wilderness with less zombies mean the zombies can't keep a weapon out of your hands if you don't want them too). And you're going to want a clean bandage handy at the very least, just in case.
    Observe:
    - The two main things you need as a core behavior loop is 1) keeping your head on a swivel to spot zombies before they spot you. You can also zoom out the camera and edge creep the camera as needed to spot them at a distance. Then watch for if they are facing you, how many there are, and if they are pursuing you. Especially going to want to toss your peripheral vision behind yourself just in case a silent one that you missed is coming up behind you. 2) Look for clear exits, circle around a target building or area you want to approach before heading in, you want to know where you can get out should SHTF like an alarm goes off or the helicopter event shows up. If it only has one entrance/exit, you should be sure you want to go into that death trap. Don't know there if there are zombies lurking behind a door? Bang on the door with a shove/weapon or shout with Q by default, if they are behind it, they should be stimulated and start banging on the door, that's your cue to GTFO.
    Plan:
    - Fighting a zombie is about distance and timing, depending on your weapon's reach. The better you get with it over time, the more zombies you will be about to step back from and side step circle to get your weapon on target without getting hit, scratched, and bit but in general, try to ambush from behind or peel off only single zombies with sneaking. The goal is to get an early headshot or knock them to the ground, then stomp on their head or deliver the finishing blow. As soon as you run, shout, or make contact with your weapon though, you will make noise and attract more attention, so have a plan for the fight, if there is 1-2 zombies, finish it, 3-4 only fight at a distance looking for those head shots, 5+ you would be well advised to sprint away.
    - So you had to run from the fight, doesn't mean all hope is lost as the horde closes in. You know your exits, so now you head for one the opposite direction from the crowd. Next up is evading them, so first you want to break line of sight with them, that could be some trees, a corner of a building or a closed door, but note not a vehicle or short fence, the game abstracts these as that there are gaps or windows that they still know your location through. Once you break line of sight, slow down, sneak and change direction 90 degrees, you will be reducing both your audio location for the zombies and increasing your distance from their cone of sight detection, and once you get behind some more line of sight breaking cover in the new direction, you can either hide for a bit for more quiet or circle back around as the zombies wander off in the direction of where they last saw/heard you. You get good at this with the appropriate skill advances and eventually you can even ambush the stragglers of the horde if you so choose.
    - Build little second floor safe rooms or cabins, either by blocking with moved heavy higher hp objects, building a wall, and/or knocking out stairs with a sledge hammer, then roping down from a window. Zombies will rip down your ropes or sheets but they are way less likely to make a meal of you while you sleep with these prepared places of rest.

Well, that's all I got the time to type out for now, good luck in your zombieland adventures :)

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    A friend and I got into this game over the past couple weeks.

Pretty fun!

I haven't explored Louisville yet but its on my list