As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Russia/US Investigation thread] More indictments, Schiff memo released

• FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    Ehhh... I dunno, I feel like being a public figure of any kind and being threatened (or having my child threatened) would make me think twice regardless of the source.

But hey, who knows?

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    If someone told me the Russian mafia was after me I would probably not believe it at all

If they were earnest and serious I would think they’d made a mistake

• OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    CNN Senior Congressional Correspondent:

Yeah the whole Trump family is gonna end up in jail by the end of this except Baron

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Oghulk wrote: »

Yeah the whole Trump family is gonna end up in jail by the end of this except Baron

Everyone always forgets about Tiffany. Including her dad.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2018/03/even-for-hope-hicks-the-west-wing-got-too-hot
    But in recent weeks, Hicks became disillusioned with her job, people who’ve spoken with her told me. Her closeness to Trump meant she was also nearest to the hottest flames of the fires that have burned in the West Wing, the most intense being the Russia probe. Hicks has racked up substantial legal fees, one source told me. “She’s in immense personal jeopardy,” one Republican close to the White House said yesterday. “This is a sign the Mueller investigation is a lot more serious than any one of us thought.” (Hicks and the White House declined to comment.)
    Republicans close to the White House really love hyping up the Mueller investigation anonymously.

• Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular

Everyone always forgets about Tiffany. Including her dad.

I would actually consider that a plus for Tiffany. She doesn't have to listen to her dad talk about wanting to date her.

I would make a joke, but I am being serious and can't think of one that isn't in poor taste.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    EDIT: Off topic

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    WACriminal wrote: »
    mxmarks wrote: »

Gates has cancelled his family's trip to Boston after online comments saying the Russian mafia in Boston would get him scared him.

OK so like

An internet comment threatening you with the Russian mafia is only credible if you already have reason to believe the Russians are after you. This seems like a confession? I know he flipped for Mueller, but this is a way more public thing.

Alternately, he's concerned that Russians he didn't know anything about may think they now have an interest in silencing him.

Or he just takes internet threats seriously because a lifetime not primarily spent on the internet hasn't conditioned him to react with jerking off motions instead of concern.

(Edit: For better or worse..)

ArbitraryDescriptor on
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    mxmarks wrote: »

Gates has cancelled his family's trip to Boston after online comments saying the Russian mafia in Boston would get him scared him.

OK so like

An internet comment threatening you with the Russian mafia is only credible if you already have reason to believe the Russians are after you. This seems like a confession? I know he flipped for Mueller, but this is a way more public thing.

Alternately, he's concerned that Russians he didn't know anything about may think they now have an interest in silencing him.

Or he just takes internet threats seriously because a lifetime not primarily spent on the internet hasn't conditioned him to react with jerking off motions instead of concern.

(Edit: For better or worse..)

And why shouldn't he take online threats seriously? The problem there isn't that he does, it's that we've created a culture where it's pushed to not take them seriously.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    Internet threats in general, sure. If somebody says, "If you go to Boston, you're gonna die" then that is worth looking into because it could be literally anybody with any reasons. But if somebody sent me a private message on Twitter that was like, "Hey, get ready to die. Signed, The IRA" then that is actually less credible due to its specificity. There is no reason for the IRA to care about me.

It's not the fact that it's online, it's the fact that it specifically invokes the Russians. That's not credible unless you think there's a reason the Russians actually might care about you.

• dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    If anything I think that the tier of threat received is more reliable than the sort someone gets over Xbox live. It's telling he sees the threats as genuine enough to cancel a vacation. It means he's scared of the people he may have exposed to further scrutiny and he's in a position where people are afraid of exposure by what he says next.

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2018/03/even-for-hope-hicks-the-west-wing-got-too-hot
    But in recent weeks, Hicks became disillusioned with her job, people who’ve spoken with her told me. Her closeness to Trump meant she was also nearest to the hottest flames of the fires that have burned in the West Wing, the most intense being the Russia probe. Hicks has racked up substantial legal fees, one source told me. “She’s in immense personal jeopardy,” one Republican close to the White House said yesterday. “This is a sign the Mueller investigation is a lot more serious than any one of us thought.” (Hicks and the White House declined to comment.)
    Republicans close to the White House really love hyping up the Mueller investigation anonymously.

Supposedly she was already considering leaving a few months ago because she'd already accomplished so much.

She's only been the Comms Director for about five months.

• Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    Let’s be real here. Gates could be as innocent as a spring lamb in a meadow and he’d still have to take the threat seriously. It’s not like the Russian mafia in Boston are going to be clued in on what he’s done any more than the rest of us are. I don’t think they have close ties with the Kremlin.

• ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Justice Dept. Report Is Expected to Criticize Andrew McCabe Over Media Disclosures

AHA! Trump can now move in for more attacks on.... oh. wait...
    Such a damning report would give President Trump new ammunition to criticize Mr. McCabe, who is at the center of Mr. Trump’s theory that “deep state” actors inside the F.B.I. have been working to sabotage his presidency. But Mr. McCabe’s disclosures to the news media do not fit neatly into that assumption: They contribute to a negative article about Hillary Clinton and the Obama administration’s Justice Department — not Mr. Trump.

Womp womp.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/03/01/us/politics/justice-dept-andrew-mccabe.html?action=click&module=Top Stories&pgtype=Homepage

• Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Honestly, I hope Nunes ends up in jail at the end of all this. Paul Ryan is enabling him, but the actions Nunes has taken has done some real irreparable damage to Congress

I've found it incredibly surprising that considering all of the people this probe has swept up and questioned, Nunes has somehow been ignored.

Dark_Side on
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    I mean, Gates could also just be lying about the reason and isn't traveling on vacation because Mueller has an agreement with him that isn't technically house arrest. Blaming it on the mob just saves face.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Dark_Side wrote: »
    Honestly, I hope Nunes ends up in jail at the end of all this. Paul Ryan is enabling him, but the actions Nunes has taken has done some real irreparable damage to Congress

I've found it incredibly surprising that considering all of the people this probe has swept up and questioned, Nunes has somehow been ignored.

No one currently elected has been implicated yet. I imagine Mueller is waiting to tip that hand until he has to, but I imagine you'd see Nunes before Trump.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular

Supposedly she was already considering leaving a few months ago because she'd already accomplished so much.

The only thing funnier than that line is the one about "pursuing other opportunities" or whatever. She's fucking 29-years-old and rose to a senior staff position in an administration that still has 3-7 more years left. What better opportunity could she possibly have elsewhere?

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Butters wrote: »

The only thing funnier than that line is the one about "pursuing other opportunities" or whatever. She's fucking 29-years-old and rose to a senior staff position in an administration that still has 3-7 more years left. What better opportunity could she possibly have elsewhere?

Compared to this administration, it probably won't be hard...

• Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    Conservative welfare.

There is always an open punditry possition somewhere. Probably CNN.

• OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    Justice Dept. Report Is Expected to Criticize Andrew McCabe Over Media Disclosures

AHA! Trump can now move in for more attacks on.... oh. wait...
    Such a damning report would give President Trump new ammunition to criticize Mr. McCabe, who is at the center of Mr. Trump’s theory that “deep state” actors inside the F.B.I. have been working to sabotage his presidency. But Mr. McCabe’s disclosures to the news media do not fit neatly into that assumption: They contribute to a negative article about Hillary Clinton and the Obama administration’s Justice Department — not Mr. Trump.

Womp womp.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/03/01/us/politics/justice-dept-andrew-mccabe.html?action=click&module=Top Stories&pgtype=Homepage

Head -> desk

• CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    Dark_Side wrote: »

Ignored? I doubt it.

Muller is making sure his case on every indictment are as inescapable as a steel trap. We'll hear about Nunes when he's up for charges and not before.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
    Conservative welfare.

I dunno, has any former Trump admin person moved on to a new position? Especially ones currently under investigation by Mueller? I imagine that will keep her employment opportunities limited "Sorry don't want to hire someone who has to do a perp walk later".

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    The thing that bothers me is that she's been planning to leave for months, allegedly, but she's only been doing the job for months!

Psn:wazukki
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Conservative welfare.

I dunno, has any former Trump admin person moved on to a new position? Especially ones currently under investigation by Mueller? I imagine that will keep her employment opportunities limited "Sorry don't want to hire someone who has to do a perp walk later".

I feel like I see lewendowski and conway all over the place still?

Maybe I'm misremembering

edited March 2018
    I don’t believe she’s been planning this for months. I instead believe that Trump yelled at her for the Portman scandal and for admitting she lied for him, and she was forced to resigned or resign because of his abuse over those two incidents.

Viskod on
  • monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    Conservative welfare.

I feel like I see lewendowski and conway all over the place still?

Maybe I'm misremembering

Conway is still a member of the Administration. Like, half a dozen people are left from the inauguration out of the 15-20 or so who started.

• wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    I don’t believe she’s been planning this for months. I instead believe that Trump yelled at her for the Portman scandal and for admitting she lied for him, and she was forced to resigned or resign because of his abuse over those two incidents.

Yeah, I'm bothered that it's transparently a lie and certain individuals in our media are once again incredulous at the idea that they've been lied to

Psn:wazukki
    Internet threats in general, sure. If somebody says, "If you go to Boston, you're gonna die" then that is worth looking into because it could be literally anybody with any reasons. But if somebody sent me a private message on Twitter that was like, "Hey, get ready to die. Signed, The IRA" then that is actually less credible due to its specificity. There is no reason for the IRA to care about me.

It's not the fact that it's online, it's the fact that it specifically invokes the Russians. That's not credible unless you think there's a reason the Russians actually might care about you.

I would hope it was less about the comment and more the broader realisation that "Oh shit, I may well have just made some dangerous enemies, and now there's a god damned news article detailing my movements" because if this a legitimate concern of his, he now has the unenviable task of keeping any eye on future reports like that.

And I hope that the media notes that the threat to his saftey originated above the comment line.

• TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular

There's no way in hell the Trump West Wing is a healthy work environment, even before you bring her home life into this. I can believe that she had a lot of "why the fuck am I doing this, it's not worth it" moments from the very start, but as people say - this is a crazily good opportunity that would have never been in reach in a sane world, so you try to make a go of it. But eventually, especially after your boss shows you he doesn't have your back (who've you previously considered almost a friend or family member as much as your boss), you realise that this job is going to kill you - so you leave.

So both can be true, really. Quitting has been on her mind for some time, but this was the final straw/what allowed her to find the courage to actually do it.

If she had been considering leaving I’d only believe it if the reason was that her interview with Muellers team has her terrified and she was thinking about getting out before it all hit the fan.

I just enjoy the thought these jokers think if they quit that means Mueller leaves them alone. They are in for a very very rude awakening on that line of thinking.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • TastyfishTastyfish Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    She was a model who got her start via the Trump Organisation, who ended up in a potentially abusive relationship with a man in a junior role who also worked for Trump and had also been caught up in the media spotlight.
    If you were trying to come up with the perfect storm of terrible work environments, she probably just needed Child Soldier and Miner for Blood Diamonds to complete the set. Completely over your head in the White House where nothing is normal anymore, your social media (and the rest of the media) makes it clear that you are working for the Bad Guys and the scrutiny is intense - no wonder she quit.

More of a case of "just give me a reason" rather than "getting out before it hits the fan". Seeing first hand that Trump won't go to bat for her here would easily be enough.

Tastyfish on
  • Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    If she had been considering leaving I’d only believe it if the reason was that her interview with Muellers team has her terrified and she was thinking about getting out before it all hit the fan.

I'm sure getting a verbal lashing from Trump over the testimony fallout helped things along, and it's no secret that place has been an awful place to work. Probably especially for Hope since it seems like it was her task to keep the big baby calm. It's also possible Kelly used this as an opportunity to force out another of Trump's close allies.

Hicks has racked up substantial legal fees, one source told me.

If true, that certainly is interesting. Because there's only one way she can remedy her need of an attorney, and it's not leaving the White House.

Tastyfish wrote: »
    She was a model who got her start via the Trump Organisation, who ended up in a potentially abusive relationship with a man in a junior role who also worked for Trump and had also been caught up in the media spotlight.
    If you were trying to come up with the perfect storm of terrible work environments, she probably just needed Child Soldier and Miner for Blood Diamonds to complete the set. Completely over your head in the White House where nothing is normal anymore, your social media (and the rest of the media) makes it clear that you are working for the Bad Guys and the scrutiny is intense - no wonder she quit.

More of a case of "just give me a reason" rather than "getting out before it hits the fan". Seeing first hand that Trump won't go to bat for her here would easily be enough.

She chose this lifestyle, there is nothing that happened in the Trump white house that should have surprised her considering how long she'd been involved with the Trump family. Especially with her involvement in covering up the crimes of the Trump admin.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2018
    I know we joke about Friday surprises and all but it really does seem like a pattern at this point. I have to wonder if we are going to get another big shocker tomorrow, especially given all this buildup this week.

joshofalltrades on
  • Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular

Maybe her goal was to just be White House Comms Director, huh? Maybe she accomplished her goal?

How many White House Comms have you directed, hub?!
    I am so kidding :P

steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    I know we joke about Friday surprises and all but it really does seem like a pattern at this point. I have to wonder if we are going to get another big shocker tomorrow, especially given all this buildup this week.

Yes. Stories are timed for Friday because it maximizes the press response and reader engagement

wbBv3fj.png
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    https://www.thedailybeast.com/exclusive-secret-documents-from-russias-election-trolls-leak
    Exclusive: Secret Documents From Russia’s Election Trolls Leak

An online auction gone awry reveals substantial new details about how the Kremlin-backed troll farm ginned up IRL protests and targeted specific Americans to push their propaganda.

The Kremlin-backed troll farm at the center of Russia’s interference in the 2016 U.S. election has quietly suffered a catastrophic security breach, The Daily Beast has confirmed, in a leak that spilled new details of its operations onto obscure corners of the internet.

The Russian “information exchange” Joker.Buzz, which auctions off often stolen or confidential information, advertised a leak for a large cache of the Internet Research Agency’s (IRA) internal documents. It includes names of Americans, activists in particular, whom the organization specifically targeted; American-based proxies used to access Reddit and the viral meme site 9Gag; and login information for troll farm accounts.

Even the advertisement for the document dump provides a trove of previously unknown information about the breadth of Russia’s disinformation effort in the United States, including rallies pushed by IRA social media accounts that turned violent.
    In short, the leaked document contains details of the Russian disinformation campaign that have not been previously made public—details which The Daily Beast was able to confirm.
    I am not sure why I find this hilarious.

This discussion has been closed.