As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Celebrate the holidays with [TV] friends!

• Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    This X-Files should be very silly but is somehow actually very effective

I'm seeing some people dismiss it as X-Files trying and failing to do Black Mirror but I disagree
    Black Mirror I feel would have had some hacky fucking dystopia that's absurdly miserable on its face, where this kind of thing just happens to everyone as a matter of course if they aren't nice enough to their apps, and it would have been too heavy handed

But X-Files' way of having it be just another normal night until all these things just... go rogue, and then just as quickly back down, was way spookier and, honestly, more fun

Uh anyway have I mentioned I don't think much of Black Mirror

I'm on episode 4 of Hannibal and I am thoroughly not feeling it

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

You should probably bail now. It only gets MORE of everything as it goes on.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Yeah if you’re not on board at this point then it’s not gonna change your mind later

• MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Sorce wrote: »
    Magell wrote: »
    Mr. G wrote: »
    It's always weird watching old network TV shows and seeing who they thought was enough of a celebrity to guest star and try and pop ratings

Like Paris Hilton showing up on The OC just to say like one line, or Tara Reid's recurring role on Scrubs, etc

I recall a guest appearance by Britney Spears saved How I Met Your Mother from cancellation early on?

Yup! There was a poster on the IMDB forums who I assume was a massive Britney Spears fan and would not shut up about how she saved the show.

I had forgotten about this until mentioned, but I do remember her cameos now, they were terrible. Tho unsure if was her, or just the terrible character they wrote for her that made it so bad, with how the writing on that show was in later seasons , I'm willing to believe the latter

On the other hand Mandy Moore's guest spot was awesome.
    Mandy Moore is actually a pretty decent actor though.

Yo, if any of you haven't seen Saved! you need to right this moment.

Mandy Moore is so good in it.

You beat me to this. Saved! is up there with Clueless and Meangirls. I think its the weakest of those three, but still damn good.

• BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    It's always weird watching old network TV shows and seeing who they thought was enough of a celebrity to guest star and try and pop ratings

Like Paris Hilton showing up on The OC just to say like one line, or Tara Reid's recurring role on Scrubs, etc

I recall a guest appearance by Britney Spears saved How I Met Your Mother from cancellation early on?

Yup! There was a poster on the IMDB forums who I assume was a massive Britney Spears fan and would not shut up about how she saved the show.

I had forgotten about this until mentioned, but I do remember her cameos now, they were terrible. Tho unsure if was her, or just the terrible character they wrote for her that made it so bad, with how the writing on that show was in later seasons , I'm willing to believe the latter

You beat me to this. Saved! is up there with Clueless and Meangirls. I think its the weakest of those three, but still damn good.

"There's only one reason a good little Catholic girl walks into a Planned Parenthood."
    "She's planting a pipe bomb!?"
    "...okay, two reasons."

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    I would say the Will Graham stuff really takes off toward the end of the season but it’s true that the show is really going to be what you’re seeing dialed to 11

• Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    this week's la to vegas was perfect

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    Katy Perry was good on himym. Although obviously the Moby ep is the best musician cameo

• knitdanknitdan In ur base Killin ur guysRegistered User regular
    Katy Perry was good on himym. Although obviously the Moby ep is the best musician cameo

That wasn’t Moby

“I was quick when I came in here, I’m twice as quick now”
    -Indiana Solo, runner of blades
    this week's gotham introduced the new poison ivy actress in the most gloriously absurd way
    she emerges from a seed pod in the middle of a spooky warehouse garden

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    this week's gotham introduced the new poison ivy actress in the most gloriously absurd way

doesn't this take place when Bruce Wayne is a kid

• Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    Not Moby.

3clipse wrote: »

he is currently a petulant teen club kid party boy

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular

Perfect.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

I mean that's great but also like

aren't there some continuity concerns here

no

6vjsgrerts6r.png

Did Smallville care about continuity when it had literally everyone who’s ever appeared in a Superman comic somehow going to the same high school in Iowa?

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    But, like, he didn't even put any jam on it or anything?

• ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular

It isn't a problem with the exception of one villain.

• ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »

Saved was part of one of my Inappropriate Double Features I used to inflict on my friends

I believe the movie I showed before it was Beerfest

That is quite the tonal whiplash!

yeah another time it was Sky High then Tenacious D: Pick of Destiny

• cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular

I remember the central gag of the Katy Perry episode (It was called "Oh Honey" and it was named after a phrase used to denote basically "Oh you poor, sad thing". Perry played some naive woman.) but I don't remember her being particularly special. Better than Britney, but that wasn't exactly difficult.

I also remember HIMYM casting Jennifer Lopez one time as well.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    knitdan wrote: »
    Did Smallville care about continuity when it had literally everyone who’s ever appeared in a Superman comic somehow going to the same high school in Iowa?

Wait. Iowa?

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

Iowa, Kansas, same difference.

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular

Nope. Sorry you have to hand in your nerd badge.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    The Good Wife has a surprising amount of guest stars. Also ones that you wouldn't see elsewhere and make no sense unless you follow US politics.

• UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    edited March 2018

Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of Fuller's whole "style" (WAY OVERDONE), which bounced me off of Hannibal and am having a hard time getting through the first season of American Gods because of that

UltimateInferno on
    "Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
    If we're going to talk about sitcoms that used their guest stars well, Friends needs to be mentioned.

• PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    If we're going to talk about sitcoms that used their guest stars well, Friends needs to be mentioned.

And Scrubs

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular

I LOVE how absolutely TERRIBLE Brad Pitt is as a sitcom actor.

Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of Fuller's whole "style" (WAY OVERDONE), which bounced me off of Hannibal and am having a hard time getting through the first season of American Gods because of that

For the record, I love it. But I also recognize that there are going to be lots of people who are perfectly legitimately turned the fuck off by it.

Hannibal's probably just the most glaring example of "if you don't love it within 2 or 3 episodes, you'll only end up hating it more."

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I love Hannibal but Bryan Fuller's predilection for lingering, unsettling grotesqueness is absolutely not for everyone

• EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular

I've lived in both! They're way different!

• VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Man, Altered Carbon is really dang good

Veldrin wrote: »
    Man, Altered Carbon is really dang good

So far I've turned like 4 co-workers onto it and gotten essentially the same text from each of them: "Holy shit that fight at the end of episode 8 WTF!?"

I remember people saying as delectable as Pushing Daisies looked, with shots of fresh fruit and baked crusts and whatnot, Hannibal had similarly grotesque shots. Didn't watch Hannibal, though.

steam_sig.png

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I remember people saying as delectable as Pushing Daisies looked, with shots of fresh fruit and baked crusts and whatnot, Hannibal had similarly grotesque shots. Didn't watch Hannibal, though.

Yeah, that's a fair comparison. I bet Hannibal himself found some of the shots in Hannibal to be pretty delectable, though.

And Scrubs

Scrubs was actually the show that I was watching when I was thinking about this. Specifically, Tara Reid's character during her fairly long arc. She also randomly shows up a season later just to bother people (it's the episode where the hospital goes into lockdown and she's stuck there so she just bugs Dr Cox all night)

steam_sig.png

This discussion has been closed.