As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Hunt: Showdown] 1.0 pushed to PC early, LIVE NOW! Consoles on the 27th!

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    The only gun I saw that was a bit too much for me was the elephant gun. That thing is a very very long range gun and lets you sight in pretty far as well, and has the capacity to kill 0cost hunters in one body shot. The only drawbacks are that you can evade it pretty well in cqc and the reload takes forever, but that's not where the problem with it lies.

At least even with the double barrel shotgun, you still got to dump both shells on a guy to kill them outright, but then again, damn near everyone dies to two barrels of shot.

Before the pallet change, sitting in a dark room was very doable, now im not so sure. I need to see if turning up the gamma on my monitor is going to be a thing.

I watched youtubers during banishments turn out all the lights and spark off flares into coners and sat in the harsher darkness it created to great effect.

Now im not so sure...

We flared up the big fish-gutting facility, or whatever it's actually supposed to be, in the one game I took down the butcher. Nobody showed up - I think everyone else shot each other up and whoever lived extracted - but they'd have had a very hard time figuring out what was going on in there if they were just walking into it.

Pretty certain the elephant gun is the one that one-shotted me that one time, now that I know it exists.

FWIW re: the PVP, there are few enough people per round that it doesn't feel nearly as prominent as I was afraid it would be, and I'm turning out to be okay with it.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    I just could not get into fortnite despite being pretty excited to try it and pubg was never even on my radar. This however has me pretty interested.

A few people have said the pvp isn't a major portion...is that just due to low population? So if this ever takes off there will be wall to wall campers?

Any indication of a console release? I cannot do PC shooters without a controller and if I'm the only one of a controller it is a big handicap

WingedWeasel on
  • KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    edited February 2018
    I just could not get into fortnite despite being pretty excited to try it and pubg was never even on my radar. This however has me pretty interested.

A few people have said the pvp isn't a major portion...is that just due to low population? So if this ever takes off there will be wall to wall campers?

Any indication of a console release? I cannot do PC shooters without a controller and if I'm the only one of a controller it is a big handicap

PVP isn't a major portion because there's only up to 5 teams in a single 1 km^2 map per match. Are you likely to run into a player, yes. Could you complete a match without running into a player, also yes. But it's not 100 players dropping onto a single map. It's 10 at most. And yeah, camping is the best strategy right now unfortunately. At least until you know 2-3 teams are dead.

No Console talk just yet.

KoopahTroopah on
  • Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Realistically if you don't want PVP you probably should't play the game because you're still putting high stakes gameplay with PVP stuff.

I actually do want the pvp. However the idea of fortnite CAMPING EDITION was not exciting. That doesn't seem to be the case though. Gonna have to find some stuff on twitch and make a judgment call

• NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Ill plug them again, but cartoonz, h20delerious, and ohmwrecker have team content on youtube. But look at koopah's twitch as well, i think he has the 'truer' gameplay experience

NotoriusBEN on
    a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
    Just for the sake of some live streams I went a looked around. You guys weren't kidding when you said camping is the best strategy. I don't think I saw any of the streamers (or other player's for that matter) move in 15 minutes. Just just sat and talked to chat.

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    Just for the sake of some live streams I went a looked around. You guys weren't kidding when you said camping is the best strategy. I don't think I saw any of the streamers (or other player's for that matter) move in 15 minutes. Just just sat and talked to chat.

Check out this run I linked last page
    @WingedWeasel . It's an example of a 'good' round IMO.

Check out this run I linked last page
    @WingedWeasel . It's an example of a 'good' round IMO.

Was planning to and then just fucked it up yesterday. I'll correct t that when I get home

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    The servers were being weird last night, and I'm pretty sure I got killed by literally nothing at all at one point, as the game crashed and I got an error report and all.

Even the melee weapons should make some kind of sound if you get hit with them, right?

kshu0oba7xnr.png

Yea, the servers were flipping on and off. I did manage to buy a hunter though so im at least ready to start playing.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
  • Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Had my interest right up until the human players started shooting each other.

Hard pass. There's a billion and one games with PvP content, not nearly enough with worthwhile coop.

God I'm glad I'm not the only one. I was getting really excited until I saw that other people spawn in the game with you. Oh well.

For me, a large part of it is that it's all but impossible that the game will be adequately balanced to be fun, prevent people from griefing, and prevent cheating. Throwing PvP in the mix means there will be people looking to break the game in general and other people looking to straight fuck over other players, and it seems like virtually none of the developers making this style of game are interested in putting in proper effort to stop those issues.

Hopefully, the fact that it's in closed alpha right now means this is at least getting a proper development cycle with adjustments to be made before release, rather than just getting thrown out as an incomplete Early Access title that gets abandoned after the first rush of players falls off.

Yea, the servers were flipping on and off. I did manage to buy a hunter though so im at least ready to start playing.

I was off to an okay start solo, too! I'd blown a guy's head off with my revolver after he picked the wrong spot to hide in while camping a clue to lead things off. Run would've paid for itself already. :|

kshu0oba7xnr.png

urahonky wrote: »
    Had my interest right up until the human players started shooting each other.

Hard pass. There's a billion and one games with PvP content, not nearly enough with worthwhile coop.

God I'm glad I'm not the only one. I was getting really excited until I saw that other people spawn in the game with you. Oh well.
    Hopefully, the fact that it's in closed alpha right now means this is at least getting a proper development cycle with adjustments to be made before release, rather than just getting thrown out as an incomplete Early Access title that gets abandoned after the first rush of players falls off.

Hmm, I dunno how to tell you this...but we EA now boys.

Developers seem to be actively patching it though with server tests and patches almost every day since EA release. I don't think they're abandoning anything.

Early Access. Damn near thought you meant EA the company

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Also I think once two target hunts become avaialble it'll make the game way more enjoyable for me. 40% possible successful players seems better.

Also for the fact that it is possible to split up the competition.

Do we camp these guys or do we head for the other and try to get it quick?

Maybe everyone is going for the known bounty, we could sneak this one quick or at least have a good lead on it.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Pretty much yeah, it makes the payouts more varied and the options available to people more interesting.

They had it turned on in Alpha, I'm not sure why they turned it off for Early Access... Maybe it was causing more bugs than it was worth.

edited February 2018
    New Hotfix Patch
    Hotfix Highlights
    General bug & crash fixes - Implemented some fixes for the more commonly encountered bugs and crashes

General backend fixes and improvements – In the coming weeks, we will be creating a developer blog to detail some of the changes we have made to improve and stabilize our backend

Binaural Audio fix – Improvements made to the directional audio in-game

General Updates

Audio
    The game audio will now default to headphones when launched. We will be adding the option to change between headphones and speakers through the UI in the near future.

Bug fixes

Major bug/crash fixes
    Fixed a crash that was caused by unexpectedly leaving the game while loading into a match. This could also occur by pressing ALt+F4 during loading if the unresponsiveness of the loading screen was perceived as a game freeze.

Fixed an issue that would cause you to spawn into a match with a broken loadout (no weapons, 1 bar of health). This was being caused by a slowdown on the backend. The game will now perform a check to see if your equipment/bloodline are in sync, and if not, you will be kicked back to the main menu in order to preserve the hunter and equipment.

Tentative fix put in place to prevent the error code 0x107D1 from occurring. This was caused by a slowdown on the backend as well as spamming the friend invite button.

General
    Fixed a bug that was causing in-game models to stretch when approached

Fixed an issue that would cause the visual geometry of certain doors to not match its actual state (in some cases, doors that require a crank to open were not reacting as intended)

Fixed a rendering issue which would cause a position offset for the chicken coops and dog kennels (the position was rendered offset from its actual position which caused confusion for some players)

Fixed an issue that made it possible for your hunter to “jump on air” when the network latency was too high

Fixed an issue that would cause the mouse cursor to become detached from the game after alt+tabbing

Fixed an issue that would cause the lighting in game to “break” in some instances

Fixed an issue that caused the gamma to not reset correctly when closing the game

Early reports are saying that the lighting bug is still there, and that this patch does not fix shadow issues or flickering lights.

There's also a paragraph on the announcement thanking players for early support, and announcing that players will be compensated with in-game currency for any hunters/equipment lost while they work out the server connection issues.

Edit - Also noting, CryTek CEO has stepped down and will be followed up by his two brothers. I don't know if that will change anything in Hunt, but hopefully it helps the company promote better business practices.

KoopahTroopah on
    Man, on the one hand one shot headshots seem to undermine the pacing of the game's gunfights quite a bit.

On the other hand it's a real fucking good feeling when you squeeze the trigger on your revolver and just watch it thunk into some poor dude who thought he was sneaking up on you in the swamp land. Plus it helps make it easier to justify not taking a rifle.

• EriktheVikingGamerEriktheVikingGamer Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Man, on the one hand one shot headshots seem to undermine the pacing of the game's gunfights quite a bit.

On the other hand it's a real fucking good feeling when you squeeze the trigger on your revolver and just watch it thunk into some poor dude who thought he was sneaking up on you in the swamp land. Plus it helps make it easier to justify not taking a rifle.

I like the way it works in combination with the enforced two-step ADSing as it makes fights more deliberate. You'll lose to someone if you just pump out random shots while they take their time and get a single headshot off on you. It punishes twitch panic fire.

EriktheVikingGamer on
    Steam - DailyFatigueBar
    FFXIV - Milliardo Beoulve/Sargatanas
    That's not super true unless the guy putting fire down isn't using cover well.

Actually another thing I've being really enjoying is how rifles penetrate through a single barn wall really easily. I had a really fun 2v2 firefight where they were in a barn and we were ducking behind outhouses and farm fences. With a lot of pretty heavy fire exchange because both sides could hit through soft cover.

edited March 2018
    Honestly, I think side stepping ruins accuracy a ton. Very rarely am I able to hit someone if I'm moving while shooting. I need to stop and wait a sec for my aim to actually land where I'm pointing. It makes firefights both interesting and frustrating as hell.

I also like that single wooden walls can be penetrated by bullets.

KoopahTroopah on
    Got my second win last night by doing a run-down of the team that actually killed the Butcher.

Still feels like I'm getting carried by people with better aim, but at least I had the right instincts a couple times I got myself killed and was trying to do the right thing. Snuck up on some guys through the Crematorium tunnels, but they were watching the exit I took and killed me, etc.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

Welp, just had kinda the example of why the current game mode is fucked:

Found 3rd clue early, set up camping shop. Killed two guys, watched another get sandwiched between an armoured and the butcher.

Wait ten whole flupping minutes to see if the gunshots in the distance are guys moving to extract early or guys coming for me.

Spend three minutes killing the butcher by cheesing him.

Wait for the banishment.

Wait another minute.

Step out to grab the bounty.

Shot by the last duo.

And it's like, at a certain point the game just entirely punishing any active play is killing my desire to play.

Because that round was a lot of fun.

But it was also, like, fourty fucking minutes and what I did 'wrong' was to not make it fifty fucking minutes.

And it's like, at a certain point the game just entirely punishing any active play is killing my desire to play.

Because that round was a lot of fun.

But it was also, like, fourty fucking minutes and what I did 'wrong' was to not make it fifty fucking minutes.

Yeah, the game could really use some more incentives to hurry the heck up about things, probably more than anything else.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

It'd be interesting if they made it so that the zombies become agitated while the banishing is going on and gravitate towards the area. Make so that you have to choose between actively fighting off zombies to obtain the bounty or actively hunt down the other players so that you can grab the bounty from them.

Steam - DailyFatigueBar
    That'd help.

Though honestly the issue is just that anything to do with the boss/banish/bounty requires you to give up or hugely hint at your location.

Which considering the game is primarily a hunt about getting an effective ambush on players means you can't act until you've counted out every other team or you get bored enough to convince yourself 'they must have left or died earlier if they're not here'.

It'd be interesting if they made it so that the zombies become agitated while the banishing is going on and gravitate towards the area. Make so that you have to choose between actively fighting off zombies to obtain the bounty or actively hunt down the other players so that you can grab the bounty from them.

Diminishing bounty value the longer it hasn't been claimed might be okay too, but your idea would be way more fun.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

The issue I've found with pretty much every suggestion is that it's pretty impossible to off set the risk of perma death.

Like who cares about $40 less bounty if you've got a semi decent hunter with 150 HP on the line?

It's a really tough design issue because right now it's making the game functionally 100% PVP with the PVE not mattering in the slightest. At which point I might as well be playing any other battle royale where there's the Circle to ensure good match pacing.

edited March 2018
    It could very well just be that they need to get rid of the perma-death roguelike mechanics. I mean, don't get me wrong. It's an interesting aspect to explore in a game-type like this, but all it seems to be doing is holding an otherwise fun game back.

EriktheVikingGamer on
    Steam - DailyFatigueBar
    It could very well just be that they need to get rid of the perma-death roguelike mechanics.

tbh I'm not sure they're really adding much that's worth having at the moment.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

I really like them.

But I don't think they really add anything and I think they're sabotaged by having the main progression be a shitty, run of the mill treadmill unlock apolooza.

Basically Hunt's a game that I chat about a lot because I think it's so close to something perfect. Though I think they definitely should've leaned harder into 'weird rogue like bounty hunting game' and less into 'hardcore PVP mandatory battle royale'. The PVP is definitely fun but it's not the USP of the title at all.

I really like them.

But I don't think they really add anything and I think they're sabotaged by having the main progression be a shitty, run of the mill treadmill unlock apolooza.

Basically Hunt's a game that I chat about a lot because I think it's so close to something perfect. Though I think they definitely should've leaned harder into 'weird rogue like bounty hunting game' and less into 'hardcore PVP mandatory battle royale'. The PVP is definitely fun but it's not the USP of the title at all.

Yeah, this is a game where the roguelike features could be very cool. You could have a stable of guys with different things that were convenient for different sorts of hunts, etc.

At the moment... that's not really what's going on.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

Maybe what it should say is the banishment is happening, but dont reveal it to the map until you pick it up. The only way you can get to the ambush before they pick up the bounties would be to find your clues. When they pick up the bounty, it flashes where they are for five seconds, and pulses the map for 5-10seconds and then guess which way they decide to extract.

Dont even give the lightning in ghost vision.

Right now, banishment is basically saying "DINNER TIME RIGHT HERE!"

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    That still doesn’t really fix the issue of making engaging the boss rewarding or cases where more than one team is near the boss pit already.

Like I said it’s a really weird design issue that’s pretty deeply embedded in how the game works right now.

• dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    I was thinking it would be more interesting if the boss spawns and roams. After 10 minutes it starts tracking players down.

The clues and stuff you're all collecting allow you to find the location of items/talisman bits to help fight off or avoid being hunted by the boss. The items drop when you die, the team or players with the fewest bits (components for a talisman, trinkets or uncharged gems or whatever) are the first ones the boss tracks down.

I'd rather multiple roaming bosses with different trinkets to assemble that can do different things, I think it would offer more variety and give a reason to move your ass.

dispatch.o on
    Honestly, I think more content and the ability to have multiple targets reinstated might fix a large majority of issues out there right now involving gameplay. It might be worth it to just let it shake out until more content is added. I actually haven't played in a week or so because I can only hunt the same boss so many times before it gets tedious. And yeah, campers.

*Insert Spongebob Fish gif "REV UP THOSE FRIERS"*
    Hunters,

We are happy to introduce the first content patch for Hunt: Showdown. Please note, this is a smaller content patch than that mentioned in our roadmap, so it has been designated Patch 0.5. Keep an eye out for updates relating to Patch 1.0 in the near future.

Version: v0.154 SteambuildID: 2583922 Client patch size:310MB

Patch Highlights

New server region:

With this update we are adding a new server region. Now, you will be able to select ‘Asia’ as your region on the contracts screen. As we progress through Early Access further regions will be added to accommodate as many players as possible.

2-Target mission selection:

You will now be able to select the option of 2-Target missions on the mission selection page. Here are some things you need to know: Each boss will have its own region on the map. This will be visibly marked with a line through the map designating each are to a specific boss Bosses with a small region are easier to find, but yield less bounty 2-Target missions will yield more bounty, but each individual target is worth less overall than in the single target missions Hunters will now have the chance to ‘Run the Gauntlet’. This is achieved by successfully extracting with both bounty tokens from both targets, as a team (extracting with all 4 bounty tokens, 2 each

Random mission selection:

We are also introducing the random mission selection. Here is what you need to know: Random missions are exactly that, completely random. For these, you will need to be more flexible with your gear/equipment before selecting the missions. All mission parameters are random The details of each mission will only be revealed once matchmaking is complete meaning you will not be able to leave the mission without losing your hunter Random missions will yield a higher bounty reward allowing you to earn +25 per extracted bounty token

Spawn point selection:

This was a feature we tested during the alpha but needed some tweaking before introducing it into Early Access. Extra details: You will be given a choice of two spawn points that will be assigned to your team You and your partner can spawn in different locations (this is really important to remember) but by default you will spawn at the same location This is intended to give you more control over where you start, specifically for 2-Target missions, which will allow teams to spawn closer to the target they want to focus on

General Updates:

Bloodline Added details for the XP received when retiring a hunter

Retiring a hunter at level 25 will now grant 2500XP to your bloodline. This scales up to 5000XP when retiring a hunter at level 50

XP gates on the bloodline have now been lowered:

Hunters will now also give less XP to the bloodline. This is to compensate for the higher XP gains that go directly to the bloodline when retiring a hunter, or continuing to play with a level 50 hunter

Bounty rewards Rebalanced some of the guaranteed bounty rewards

Lowered the bounty reward for locating the targets lair from 50 to 25

Added a bounty reward for killing the target: 50 bounty

With this change, we want to encourage players to commit more to fighting the boss instead of entering the lair, and then preparing an ambush around the area. This is one of many steps we will be taking to ensure that the engaging the boss is more rewarding than holding back and waiting.

User interface

Visual update applied to the main menu background graphics to increase performance and improve framing for individual screens Visual changes made to the extraction timer (positioning, icons, etc.)

Weapons
    Increased Vetterli damage from 90 to 100
    Increased the price of the Caldwell Conversion Uppercut to $175
    Tweaked the damage falloff and distance markers for all bullet types:

Compact ammo: Increased damage multiplier for ‘long range’ falloff and increased the ‘short range’ marker before decreasing damage

Medium Ammo: Increased damage multiplier for ‘long range’ falloff and increased ‘mid range’ marker before decreasing damage

Long ammo: Increased short and mid range marker before decreasing damage

Rebalanced the dusters, brawlers and fists: Damage for each of these has been slightly reduced but we have optimized the stamina consumption to allow for more successive strikes before running out

These weapons are now better when encountering groups of enemies, while the knife with be better when taking out single targets quickly

Bug Fixes:

Audio fixes
    Fixed a bug that was causing footsteps while crouching to be louder than expected
    Fixed an issue that was causing a carryover of the Spider audio (the audio between indoors and outdoors should now be noticeably different)

Crash fixes
    Fixed a bug that could cause the game to crash on start up
    Fixed a potential crash that could occur when finding a match
    Fix a crash that could be caused by connecting or disconnecting a game pad
    Fixed a bug that could result in a server crashing relating to the AI systems in game

Major fixes

Fixed an exploit that resulted in the ability to skip the time to bandage of the first aid kit
    Fixed a bug that would cause your weapon to show the visuals of firing but no damage was being dealt. This would occur if it was used right after throwing an item
    Fixed a bug that would result in your hunter dying while using an elevator
    Fixed a bug that would cause your hunter to desync/become displaced from the server when closing certain doors. The client will now correctly register your position in these instances

Minor fixes
    Fixed an issue with the proxies of the horses at the extraction points that prevented you from shooting other players that appeared to be exposed
    Fixed a bug that would cause the lobby chat to display the chat from other teams
    Fixed a bug that was causing the summary screen to continue to visually update even after reaching max level
    Fixed an issue that would cause the map to display when typing in the text chat. Now, pressing the ‘map’ key will no longer result in the map being displayed
    Fixed a bug that would cause the “waiting for players” banner to persist for the duration of the match

Developer Note:

Hunters,

We wanted to give you a short update on our progress at the moment. Over the last week, the team has been hard at work trying to resolve our technical difficulties, improving the game play experience and pushing to deliver our planned future content. We know that there are still a number of unresolved issues that are causing some frustration so we want to assure you that we are doing what we can to resolve these as quickly as possible.

Over the coming weeks, we will providing you with further updates on our progress, including updating our roadmap: https://www.huntshowdown.com/roadmap so that we can keep you better informed.

We want to thank you all again for your continued support and patience as we continue to move further into the development of Hunt.

~The Hunt team