As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

ALL-BLACK THE [FASHION THREAD]

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Karl wrote: »
    Once you find a pair of jeans that are the perfect fit for you, you make a note of that and never buy other jeans again.

For me, it's a blessing and a curse. I found the perfect fit for me. Unfortunately it turns out said perfect jeans are Levi 501s

They are not cheap

Wait, what? You can get 501s for like $30 - $40.

Where?

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_1_5?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=levis+501+men+original&sprefix=levis,aps,148&crid=3HDXMBDJSAEAU

There are some even under $30.

Also places like JCPenney almost always has them on sale equally cheap if you want to pick up some in person.

I've never seen them in the UK that cheap

On Amazon UK they range from £43.90 - £109.99 ($60.41-$151.37) depending on size and colour.

About the same in the store where I've seen 2 pairs for £90ish

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    There should be an O(2^n) work out shirt for me to buy somewhere easily.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    The susie dent / fashion crossover I've been waiting for.

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    My North Face down jacket arrived and is love

It’s incredibly light, couldn’t believe it was actually in the box at first!

Very snuggly and a gorgeous color but also generously sized in the arms so I’ll have no problems getting it on over a sweatshirt.

It’s semi-fitted and goes in at the waist so although it’s big it doesn’t look completely shapeless

• Options
    bowtiedsealbowtiedseal Registered User regular
    This just came, ordered to wear at a friend’s wedding in July. Hopefully looks decent on!
    https://www.lulus.com/products/only-want-you-burgundy-lace-bodycon-midi-dress/514012.html

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    This just came, ordered to wear at a friend’s wedding in July. Hopefully looks decent on!
    https://www.lulus.com/products/only-want-you-burgundy-lace-bodycon-midi-dress/514012.html

The lace is a delight and you are going to rock that in burgundy, oh my goodness

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    New specs. They're very boring so no point with pics, but jiminy cricket everything is so sharp and crisp now. My prescription only changed by the smallest measurable amount in one eye, but the lenses on my old glasses were so scratched up everything was slightly blurry all the time, regardless.

• Options
    Janson wrote: »

Very snuggly and a gorgeous color but also generously sized in the arms so I’ll have no problems getting it on over a sweatshirt.

It’s semi-fitted and goes in at the waist so although it’s big it doesn’t look completely shapeless

I have a North Face coat for super cold and/or wet conditions

They are expensive but totally worth it. You will love that coat

• Options
    New specs. They're very boring so no point with pics, but jiminy cricket everything is so sharp and crisp now. My prescription only changed by the smallest measurable amount in one eye, but the lenses on my old glasses were so scratched up everything was slightly blurry all the time, regardless.

Woohoo!

I got notification today that my Zenni order shipped, I'm excited!
    Karl wrote: »
    Janson wrote: »

I have a North Face coat for super cold and/or wet conditions

They are expensive but totally worth it. You will love that coat

I already do - hopefully the love affair continues!

My MIL has had her North Face coat for over 10 years now and it still looks fantastic, hopefully the quality of their products has maintained.

I've spent a lot lately on winter gear and it's all been worth it. Careful reading of reviews has paid off and everything has fit perfectly!

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I want to get a watch, because I used to love wearing them, but I have rather skinny wrists and I was a bit self-conscious about that

But there are some awesome looking wood and stone watches at Holzkern that are making me thing hmmmm....

I have thought about the two below, thoughts from the thread?

stetind-akazie-marmor-new.png

This one is darker and has the black marble face, which I love, especially as I wear a lot of darker tones, blues and such. But I'm wondering if it's a bit too much

torre-walnuss-marmor-new.png

This one is lighter, and maybe a bit too light, but I really like that grey marble facing as well. Decisions!

• Options
    Oooh I quite like this one too though

everest_1.png

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Solar, buddy, why fight the urge?

Give in and be a cool guy like your pal ol' Zonugal.

casio-calculator-watch-5103.jpg

Zonugal on
    Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Solar why are you doing this, I'm on an expensive vacation and I can't be looking at gorgeous watches.

But I am!

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    On its own the second one looks the best. The first one tries a bit too hard to look cool and the third one is too steampunk.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    honovere wrote: »
    On its own the second one looks the best. The first one tries a bit too hard to look cool and the third one is too steampunk.

I would say the first one tries hard to look cool and succeeds

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    I could use a watch. Has to have a leather band though as those linked ones always snag my arm hairs. I wouldn't know where to begin shopping for a nice watch though.

• Options

See that's where I'm variating, between you and honovere

Is it trying to look cool and working, or is it trying to look cool and failing because it's trying too hard?

The second one is probably the most, I dunno

Stylish in a mature way? Maybe?

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »
    I could use a watch. Has to have a leather band though as those linked ones always snag my arm hairs. I wouldn't know where to begin shopping for a nice watch though.

The band is easily replaced on most watches so a metal band shouldn't stop you if you like the actual watch part. Department stores for example should replace the band for free if you buy a band there.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    I had a really great swiss army watch, but lost it after the band broke. Maybe I'll shop around for one

edit: haha noooope

Xaquin on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    @Solar

I think #1 is the best

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    Solar wrote: »

See that's where I'm variating, between you and honovere

Is it trying to look cool and working, or is it trying to look cool and failing because it's trying too hard?

The second one is probably the most, I dunno

Stylish in a mature way? Maybe?

The first one is a power watch, do you have work things where you might want to impress stuffy old office guys? It'd be great for that.

• Options
    I just want to wear it to look cool, really

• Options
    bowtiedsealbowtiedseal Registered User regular
    I like the first one best!

• Options
    I think the first one is cool but potentially says that the wearer is a bit of a pretentious wanker if you're not careful

But then, I am a bit of a pretentious wanker at times so maybe that's suitable

• Options
    Two words

Uniform

Wares

• Options
    I don't like Uniform Wares stuff typically, and even if I did it's twice as much!

No, the wood and stone look is cool, that's my deal. What kind is the question.

• Options
    m!ttensm!ttens he/himRegistered User regular
    I don't like any of those watches, but my tastes run toward more classic designs. Never really been a fan of "natural" material watches.

On the size front, however, I can help! I also have skinny wrists and my daily wearer is 38mm in diameter (Seiko SARB033 if you were wondering). I also have a couple of larger (40 mm) dive watches but usually only wear those in the summer when I'm wearing short sleeves all the time. I'd say keep your watch at or below 40 mm and you should be okay. Keep in mind a thinner bezel will wear "larger" on your wrist so you can get away with a slightly smaller watch without it looking tiny.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    I've always loved simple and elegant designs, and whilst the layout and detailing of those watches is certainly elegant enough, the materials make them seem... fussy?

I really like the look of something like this as a dress watch: https://intl.bulova.com/collections/mens-watches/products/96a188 or even this: https://intl.bulova.com/collections/mens-watches/products/96b104
    They're 39 and 37 mm face diameter watches respectively, so they won't look all big and goofy if you have slimmer wrists. Plus they're very cheap for the quality you get. I even gave my secret satan a different model Bulova Precisionist watch a few years ago.

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Xaquin wrote: »

Let me show you the waaaaaaaay

No, for real. What's your budget and what do you like?

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    I really like that first watch.

• Options
    I am drifting towards watch no.1, yes

No.3 is out now, it's between 1 and 2 I think, and 1 is winning to an extent.

The stainless steel is an advantage, for me, I prefer that in many ways to 2

• Options
    edited March 2018
    I've always loved simple and elegant designs, and whilst the layout and detailing of those watches is certainly elegant enough, the materials make them seem... fussy?

I really like the look of something like this as a dress watch: https://intl.bulova.com/collections/mens-watches/products/96a188 or even this: https://intl.bulova.com/collections/mens-watches/products/96b104
    They're 39 and 37 mm face diameter watches respectively, so they won't look all big and goofy if you have slimmer wrists. Plus they're very cheap for the quality you get. I even gave my secret satan a different model Bulova Precisionist watch a few years ago.

That second Bulova is a great choice for a nice, understated dress watch. The quartz version is great if you don't want to spend a ton of cash. I'd say in general 38mm is about the largest any man should go for a dressy watch. Maybe 40mm if you're a particularly huge dude. But 36 - 38 is the sweet spot.

Anything from 38 to 42mm is pretty much a fine range for a casual/sport watch, for most guys, though. And if you are a one-watch kind of guy, something like a smallish, toned down dive watch can work really well as a casual or moderately dressy watch, depending on the strap you go with.

minor incident on
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Solar wrote: »
    I am drifting towards watch no.1, yes

No.3 is out now, it's between 1 and 2 I think, and 1 is winning to an extent.

The stainless steel is an advantage, for me, I prefer that in many ways to 2

I will say that I'm not a huge fan of the wood watch thing, personally, but between those, number 1 is the best, I think. It's a bit more subdued, which I think works. I think the others are like, super obvious "hey, LOOK! I'm made of WOOD!", whereas the first one is real subtle and you only notice that it's natural materials if you look closely, which makes it a little more interesting. Also, the rose gold/copper coloring on the second one is a little harder to pull off with everything you might wear, unlike the simpler stainless steel look of the first one, which is a bit more classic for most dudes.

Also, I think you could pull off the first one with a handful of different straps pretty well, too.

minor incident on
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    2bfvsipdrvcg.jpg

I died my hair green two days ago. so far nobody has noticed.

Or maybe they just think I've gone moldy.

• Options
    I love that green tint!

People are just unobservant, I think. I've realized if my kids went missing I wouldn't be able to tell the police what they were dressed in even if I was the one to dress them that morning.

Also wheeeeee my Zenni glasses are out for delivery!

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    I thought it might have been the lighting for a hot second before I realized it was dyed.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    I like to think it means I'm pulling it off and passing for natural.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    a natural moss-grower

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    ChicoBlueChicoBlue Registered User regular
    Maybe they're all colourblind like me and would have to pause and squint and go...

hm... yes, I think I can see it...

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    tynic wrote: »

I died my hair green two days ago. so far nobody has noticed.

Or maybe they just think I've gone moldy.

I once had waist length black hair and I had to play Old Merlin in a show and Merlin's signature color was supposed to be purple. So I had a professional place dye my hair the darkest purple they could as well.

No one noticed. It just looked regular old black until I actually got on stage under the for-real theater lights and that shit GLOWED. My head was like a neon sign for Prince memorabilia.

Magic Pink on