As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Warhammer Fantasy Battles: Skaven eat cheese (when they are given it).

• AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Temple nest is ridiculous and the back bone of any competitive DoK army. Every time your opponent rolls a 1 to hit them they take a mortal wound after resolving all their attacks.

It's incredible.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    It's pretty good, yeah, though only in the combat phase, and there are a lot of re-roll 1s to hit floating around.
    Plus it can be hard to squeeze in much in the way of useful battleline if you go with larger melusai squads to maximise the benefits of the battalion, unless you make the Medusae your general, which loses out on a unique command ability. There's quite a few tough little choices like that in the book I've noticed, it's pretty sharply written in that department I think.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    For the record none of those army deals actually save money, they just bundle up all the units necessary to run the various battalion formations in the book.
    That said the Temple Nest battalion I would say looks pretty decent for low points games (at ~1000 points).

There is space at the back of the SoS helmets to stick some of the witch elf hair, which looks reasonable enough, that's what I do for witch elf unit champions.

I know usually I just wait and use them as suggestions since I built my Ynnari force off what I had {dire avengers} I bought the Incubi from GW as the secondary market is very cutthroat for them and Wyches I got a deal on and in turn this caused me to build a Wych army for my DE army

Still I await my book

• SharpyVIISharpyVII Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    So they posted a snippet from the Daughters of Khaine Battletome that relates to the new sea race that's rumoured.

Mentions Idoneth Deepkin emerging from the mists to attack a war pilgrimage belonging to the Kraith.

Calls the Idoneth Deepkin mysterious sea beings.

The DoK battle time also mentions that the Deepkin are potential allies in the pitched battle profile page.

SharpyVII on
  • honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    Who are the Kraith?

honovere wrote: »
    Who are the Kraith?
    Da book says
    Kraith is a sect of the Daughters of Khaine that even amongst its own is known for its pure bloodthirst.

• Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Well, yeah, all Aelves are.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
    Well, yeah, all Aelves are.

dwea7dud42f0.jpg

• BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    It’s less ‘staunch believer in an ordered world’ and more ‘hates the other factions more’.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    All the elf factions have been Order since day 1 of AoS. I know it threw me at first that Dark Elves were on the same side as High Elves and Dwarves but here we are.

All the elf factions have been Order since day 1 of AoS. I know it threw me at first that Dark Elves were on the same side as High Elves and Dwarves but here we are.

Well Wych elves are allies of convenience.

• Halos Nach TariffHalos Nach Tariff Can you blame me? I'm too famous.Registered User regular
    It's kinda funny that Order is sort of the least 'ordered' faction, it's basically just everyone who does not worship Chaos, isn't undead and doesn't want to just smash any cities into rubble.

I do like DoK as the token evil teammate that is mostly tolerated cos they're real good at stabbing stuff.

It's kinda funny that Order is sort of the least 'ordered' faction, it's basically just everyone who does not worship Chaos, isn't undead and doesn't want to just smash any cities into rubble.

I do like DoK as the token evil teammate that is mostly tolerated cos they're real good at stabbing stuff.

Noone of the other gods wants to be the jerk who tells Malarion to stop bringing his mom to the club meetings.

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Got my third game of AoS and second game with my Tzeentch Army in tonight. It was my first non-multiplayer standard 1v1 game. And it was a blast even though Tzeentch decide my rolls were to be terrible all game. So it goes with the dice gods.

It was also my first game verse Seraphin. There are a ton of AoS armies and I am learning them slowly. That damn Bastiladon decimated my skyfires and shaman by turn two and basically deleted every daemon in my army. It was sad.

He gave me first turn, I got my skyfires to max range to hit a unit, missed my shots. Took an objective giving me 3 points that turn. He moved up, teleported his Bastiladon into range of my skyfires and burnt the unit down to a single disc out of 3. Basically I realize now I should of been less aggressive with them and played keep away with the skyfires and that thing. Especially with my range and move. But I am new at the army.

First roll of for the next turn, I roll a 1. He gets a double turn. I lose my last skyfire and my shaman. And that was about it. But it hurt. He charges my chaos warriors on the point, does little. The unit holds most of the game.

I go, move up my Tzaangors, and my prince to hit the flank near them with skinks and saurus warrior things, temple guard I think, my brain works in total war names. My screamers and knights charge the Bastiladon. I flub my casting. I flub my rolls. I do two damage to the Bastiladon between my knights and my screamers with the one screamer hitting and rolling a 1 on the d3 damage.

I roll another 1 for the initiative. He kills the screamers with the damn laser dino. His big angry dino dragon eats 3 knights. His saurus do almost nothing to my tzaangors as they are the one unit doing anything. But at this point he is up 4 points or so but some magic starts happening.

My banner for Tzaangor goes off on 3 wizards in range. The banner kills more units than any other roll I make. Also pulls me close back into the game but not enough to win. The first three turns put me in a huge hole. By turn 5 I never killed laser dino and it was able to finish of my prince on turn 4 and I just couldn't get the points. Still my army did well despite me and my rolling.

First, my tzeentch boys are fast. Much faster than my chaos space marine army. That is a change. Also they are squishy in a way as there is no 3+ saves without mystic shields but lots of wounds. With average rolls I think the game would of been much closer. The damn laser dino would of been dead at least which would of been big.

Also tzaangors in AoS are so insane if you have enough of them. So many attacks. The tzaangor battalion warscroll now looks super tasty to me. So many attacks and buffs.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    You really need to burn some Destiny Dice first turn to get some hits/mortal wounds with your skyfires.
    What was your list, and his?

I'm involved in a kinda escalation tournement at the moment. We did 500 points and I got crushed by everyone. Next step is 1k, so I'm looking to sep up my game.
    I'm running mixed order, all Aelf themed tho

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
    This is a dumb question I got the Khaine book from the end of Warhammer which helps fill in a lot of info I lacked
    But there is no army book/codex out for what was the High Elves? The Wood Elves? And Dark Elves? I know the Daughters of Khaine just came out but the others are coming as is rumored?

I know both my brother and I have been digging out and taking inventory of what we have so it's kind of a surprise to see he had a Wood Elf army but only played a few games

edited March 2018
    There aren't army books for them now. You can download the rules for Wood Elf (now called Wanderers) units from the GW website.

Some High Elf units are now called the Phoenix Temple so I guess you'd just have to go through the website and find the units and download the rules.

There's various Aelf god's in AoS and I believe Tyrion and Teclis are two of them. I believe one of the designer for DoK said they'd love to work on doing a new Aelf army that follows Tyrion and Teclis so something will turn up sooner or later.

There's also the Sylvaneth who are a fully fledged new faction in AoS who are white similar to wood elves.

SharpyVII on
    You can take a look at the warscroll builder to check which units of Aelves belong to which faction.

https://warhammer-community.com/warscroll-builder/

You've got Darkling Covens, Eldritch Council, High Elves(Highborn), Dark Elves, Lion Rangers, Order Draconis, Order Serpentis, Phoenix Temple, Scourge Privateers, Shadow Blades, Swifthawk Agents, Wanderers, and Wood Elves.

Honestly Aelves are a big mess right now. A few of those subfaction are only two units and some don't make a lick of sense. Like the Skywarden on Skycutter is part of the Swifthawk Agents, but the same model on foot is A Highborn unit.

There’s a pretty useful AoS app that GW put out, dunno if it’s just on ITunes though. Has basically every unit rule on there, you pick and choose what you want in your army. It’s Battlescribe pretty much, but with in-app purchases.

Dayspring wrote: »
    You really need to burn some Destiny Dice first turn to get some hits/mortal wounds with your skyfires.

I'm involved in a kinda escalation tournement at the moment. We did 500 points and I got crushed by everyone. Next step is 1k, so I'm looking to sep up my game.

I had a single six and a single five on my destiny dice and five dice that were twos. Gods hated me.

My army:
    Heroes:
    1x Tzaangor Shaman- Soul Draught, Master of Fate (one where I reroll destiny dice)
    1x Chaos Sorc Lord- Destiny Dice spell
    1x Chaos Prince of Tzeentch- Treason of Tzeentch and the sword

Battleline:
    20xTzaangors (horn+banner)
    5x Chaos Warriors
    5x Chaos Warriors

Other:
    3xSkyfire
    3xScreamers
    5xChaos Knights

It is more just what I have built out so far. I have another 3x skyfires and 3x enlightened on disc to build, another shaman, a bunch of daemons, 20x arcanites, and a chaos chariot. So my choices are limited, I mean I am just getting started.

My opponent from memory:

Skink Priest (80)
    - Priestly Trappings
    Slann Starmaster (260)
    - General
    30 x Skinks (180)
    - Meteoric Javelins & Star Bucklers
    20 x Skinks (120)
    10 x Saurus Guard (200)
    Bastiladon (280)
    Dread Saurian (380)

If I could kill the damn bastiladon I feel my game would of gone better but my dice were ice cold all game.

Still it was fun. I look forward to running more enlightened and skyfires and probably more Tzaangors too.

u7stthr17eud.png
    The first look at Idoneth Deepkin is here!

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2018/03/22/breaking-news-major-revealsgw-homepage-post-1/

GW has said in the comments on the Facebook post that the Idoneth are Teclis' first attempt at creating a new race.

The models look absolutely awesome, ballistas on a giant sea turtle? Yes please!

Those are amazing! All the cloth moving like underwater on the infantry models! The coat of the character turning into a wave! Wow

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Judging by card numbers, the upcoming Shadespire peek is a whole new set with 10 more bands.

I am very much for this.

MhCw7nZ.gif
    To me it looks like there are some design hints in the Deepkin models to all 3 old elf factions. The eyeless infantry looks kinda like those Sylvaneth halftree-Elves, the guy on the back of one of the turtles has a very Dark Elf/Eldar headgear, while that mage/lord looks more high elvish.

Also not only are the deepkin Teclis' first creation from the freed Eldar souls but they also fled him and hid in the sea.

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    With regards to Deepkin, I know they look rad as fuck which is all the justification needed for AoS, but the sea creatures swimming through the air feel a bit odd to me.

MhCw7nZ.gif
    If the Deepkin are with Teclis then that means we have yet to see Malerion's Aelves, which are the ones I more expected to be 'Cthuhlu elves'.

Mazzyx wrote: »

I had a single six and a single five on my destiny dice and five dice that were twos. Gods hated me.

My army:
    Heroes:
    1x Tzaangor Shaman- Soul Draught, Master of Fate (one where I reroll destiny dice)

Battleline:
    5x Chaos Warriors
    5x Chaos Warriors

Other:
    3xSkyfire
    3xScreamers
    5xChaos Knights

It is more just what I have built out so far. I have another 3x skyfires and 3x enlightened on disc to build, another shaman, a bunch of daemons, 20x arcanites, and a chaos chariot. So my choices are limited, I mean I am just getting started.

My opponent from memory:

Skink Priest (80)
    - Priestly Trappings
    Slann Starmaster (260)
    - General
    30 x Skinks (180)
    20 x Skinks (120)
    10 x Saurus Guard (200)
    Bastiladon (280)
    Dread Saurian (380)

If I could kill the damn bastiladon I feel my game would of gone better but my dice were ice cold all game.

Still it was fun. I look forward to running more enlightened and skyfires and probably more Tzaangors too.

I played something very similar to you, having an 8th ed fantasy Chaos Warrior army, and porting it to AoS with the addition of Silver Tower and a few other bits.
    My absolute favourite unit is the Ogroid Thaumaturge. He will beat you to death with his spell book. Maybe i’ve been lucky but mine has wrestled a magmadroth to death, amongst other feats of prowess. He’s great.
    If your enemy is using big units of 1w guys, look at Gaunt Summoner (on foot). He’s great anti-horde.
    Almost all of the Slaves to Darkness units suck, sadly. Chaos Warriors are decent enough at staying alive, but they all hit like a wet noodle.
    Tzaangors didnt really do it for me, for various reasons, so it mostly came down to “do my spells go off?”. A couple of bad spell rolls can cripple your game.

Mazzyx wrote: »

My army:
    Heroes:

Battleline:
    5x Chaos Warriors
    5x Chaos Warriors

Other:
    3xSkyfire
    3xScreamers
    5xChaos Knights

My opponent from memory:

Skink Priest (80)
    - Priestly Trappings
    Slann Starmaster (260)
    - General
    30 x Skinks (180)
    20 x Skinks (120)
    10 x Saurus Guard (200)
    Bastiladon (280)
    Dread Saurian (380)

I played something very similar to you, having an 8th ed fantasy Chaos Warrior army, and porting it to AoS with the addition of Silver Tower and a few other bits.
    My absolute favourite unit is the Ogroid Thaumaturge. He will beat you to death with his spell book. Maybe i’ve been lucky but mine has wrestled a magmadroth to death, amongst other feats of prowess. He’s great.
    If your enemy is using big units of 1w guys, look at Gaunt Summoner (on foot). He’s great anti-horde.
    Almost all of the Slaves to Darkness units suck, sadly. Chaos Warriors are decent enough at staying alive, but they all hit like a wet noodle.
    Tzaangors didnt really do it for me, for various reasons, so it mostly came down to “do my spells go off?”. A couple of bad spell rolls can cripple your game.

Tzaangors need numbers and then it is down to how you build out your line. I had 20 so I had 2 additional attacks on all models. So my front line was 2H weapons and mutants. This gave me 5 attacks on the mutants, 3 attacks with the two handers, and 4 attacks with anyone with a shield. Wounds were allocated to the back with the shield. They do work that way.

My slaves of darkness stuff is very much tied to hold objectives and being a hard to kill speed bump. Knights and warriors do that just fine. They are tough enough to hold a position letting the stuff that hits hard to maneuver into position. I don't expect them to win games. In this game they held down a flank while the Tzaangos and DP cleaned up the other half of my opponents army.

My final army will be probably more Tzaangor heavy than it is now as I move to 2k. More skyfires and enlightened and swapping the sorc for a second shaman.

u7stthr17eud.png
    Oh yeah, Tzaangors are meant to be good.
    But I didnt enjoy painting them at all, and i look at the warscroll and its just so needlessly complicated. Like, for every 5 you can take 2 of these weapons, and 1 of these weapons, and then some of them can be mutants which get X, and then if a hero is nearby they get Y, and then blah blah blah. I dunno, its just really busy and i dont like the design much.
    I'm getting a bit "old man yells at clouds" but I bought chaos warriors because they were a small, tough, fighty elite army, and they're not that any more.

Anyway, as mentioned before i'm doing an escalation thing and the other guys in the league are pretty hardcore. This is what i'm planning for 1k

Dreadlord on Dragon
    Loremaster
    Mistweaver

Battleline
    10 Witchelves
    10 Darkshards

Others:
    10 Executioners
    1x Repeater Bolt Thrower

The key to this is basically the Loremaster.
    She can cast Hand of Glory on the Bolt Thrower, and then cast it on the Dragon when the enemy gets close.
    Witch Elves and Executioners are there to provide more threats.

edited March 2018
    If the Deepkin are with Teclis then that means we have yet to see Malerion's Aelves, which are the ones I more expected to be 'Cthuhlu elves'.

Aren't Malarion's Aelfs the shadowy faction with the Mistweaver Saih and Tenebrael Shard? Considering the fact that he seems ta have fused with his dragon and some hints from the background I also expect his armies to feature a bunch of scaly monsters/dragons/lizards.

Tyrion's faction will totally be a bunch of fiery angels with Phoenixes and such.

honovere on
  • ExtreaminatusExtreaminatus Go forth and amplify, the Noise Marines are here!Registered User regular

Yeah, this release isn't what I was expecting. I want some eldritch horror elves, not elves with turtles instead of birbs.

My conclusion was drawn based on 'Cthuhlu' alluding to madness instead of fish.

edited March 2018
    Everything in Fantasy with octopus imagery is getting called Cthullu these days, I feel.

These seem more like Teclis made "magic" Aelfs who then buggered off into the ocean. Maybe he didn't even get to finish them properly, The infantry looks kinda like it.

honovere on
    With regards to Deepkin, I know they look rad as fuck which is all the justification needed for AoS, but the sea creatures swimming through the air feel a bit odd to me.

The rumouring is that whenever they come out of the sea on raids they summon up a spooky magic mist which lets them all breathe/swim as if still underwater, which is why all the sea creatures don't just flop about.

I'm not a massive fan of what we see of the Deepkin aesthetic so far I think, probably with a darker, more abyssal paint scheme it would look more in line with how I was imagining them.

I feel like all the flying sea creatures should at least have some mist or smoke molded all around them to portray this magic spell at least. It just looks like a bunch of flying turtles and sharks as is.

The turtles remind me a little bit of the space whales in Avengers.

The eyeless infantry I imagine looking like the zombie pirates from potc walking across the sea bottom, only on land.

The eyeless would make great mandrakes for DE but I am very curious about that codex
    Still I might get this book even though the DoK sold me on trying to play this game. Tough looking at the deepkin I feel the Dok got the short end of armies

Still with the Made to order stuff
    iuydckp68w0w.png
    I am going to get one of them {I forgot his name the one with the Cthulhu mask} I have several of the dreadlord with the great weapon it was a ongoing problem with his sword I really offered if I could send them back and one sword just to get it right after a time
    I don't remember the one that looks like it's pouting or sticking it's tongue out

• NealnealNealneal Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    I love that the Idoneth share the Misteeaver’s aesthetic. I am super tempted to buy in on these guys.

Edit: I wonder if the Mistweaver will get the Idoneth keyword?

Nealneal on
    The guy with the water cloak is supposedly the Avatar of Mathlaan, the elven god of water and storms from the old world.

Mathlann was one of the minor elven gods of destruction who hid in the mortal world not to be eaten by his father in the realm of the gods. In the end times it was revealed that Sea Lord Aislinn was Mathlann in disguise.

So maybe the new model is actually a character that existed in the background as far back as during the Storm of Chaos but never got a model of his own.

This discussion has been closed.