As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Monster Hunter] World: New elder dragon event. Squad up!

SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgradeRegistered User regular
edited April 2018 in Games and Technology
First thing is first:
Voice Comms

Introducing: Monster Hunter World

More updates on MH world soon to come!

What is Monster Hunter?

Welcome to the game where in the goal is to kill off these guys with some form of pointy or shooty implement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_ZAQ9_QK5s&noredirect=1

Monster Hunter is a series about hunting little things, making weapons and armor from the bits of the little things then eventually using those weapons and armor to hunt bigger things. Repeat until the next game in the series comes out.

Old Screenshots

xW2u4XK.png
H97GkCr.png
EK02j0t.jpg
wc2pcjF.png
1e7AVC8.jpg

Game Info and Useful Stuff
Kiranico MH Generations database
Athena's Armor Set Search for all game versions.
GaijinHunter’s MHGEN weapon tutorial playlist. Seriously. Watch these for your weapon
Web Based Armor Skill Simulator for when you can't run Athena's
Handy MH Generations Monster chart.

Want to use a bow in MH Worlrd?

https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/38919568/#Comment_38919568

Speaking of playing together. The generic PA password for rooms is

PS4 players:

PS4 Community:

Zenny Arcade: World

PS4 player form

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdi-Jnmhg2p9AhYRRKGkIhcldB_-NPGRLXUWwcqp_xQQdVPPw/viewform?usp=sf_link

Responses:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1pWPeaIKQtsqlnO4od07FdLzkdQophfu9ibaQ6kAGvdc/htmlview#gid=626456156

For our Xbox brothers partaking in World:
Darkewolfe wrote: »

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
Seidkona on

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    From last thread:

Wooooooooo!

Hero's Steamstone: Lance!

• Options
    fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    hi thread

im greatsword

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    And I am Lance.

Seidkona on
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    i'm using the Gunlance and man, what a fun-ass weapon that is!

PEW PEW SCHLACK BOOM PSSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHH BOOM!

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Oh, also..... now I can craft a giant palico head and that's terrifying. Meow.

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Two Bagel gems on that one capture.

Bagel switch axe it is.

Elendil on
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    I'm Switch Axe, Bow, Light Bowgun... and sometimes Heavy Bowgun, Longsword, Sword & Shield....

There are too many fun weapons in this game.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Sometimes I am SnS and sometimes Horn.

But. . .

I am always Lance.

Seidkona on
  • Options
    I used the Longsword the most.

Anime sword is light.

• Options
    navgoosenavgoose Registered User regular
    Got my first weapon streamstone yesterday and it is for bow/insect blade. Weird how they go: "hey also i guess you can upgrade your armor with those things, too"

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    I was so damn disappointed to find out that there are two types of Weapon Streamstones and that I had the "wrong" one labeled "Lance."

• Options
    Corporal CarlCorporal Carl Registered User regular
    Tempered Kirin down with 2 carts, but hey, dead is dead!
    I died once when I was putting down a health booster, and I was shouting at the screen: “Stop putting it down woman” as suddenly an electric patch appeared underneath her.

Near the end I was shouting “Please die please die please die” :lol:

So now it is waiting until I get an augment thingie to open up the final thing about hunting customisation?

PSN (PS4-Europe): Carolus-Billius
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
  • Options
    (always flash teo novas)

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Oh hi MonHun thread. I am mostly Charge Blade and HBG but I got Long Sword, Gunlance and LBG in the chest.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FiskebentFiskebent DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Doing tempered elder dragons with randoms seem like an exercise in futility. There's always that guy there with his glass cannon build that dies 3 times.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    Speaking of glass cannon, killed nergergante on my second try after upgrading my gear, and pretty easily so I farmed him a few times and made some of his armour. I need to kill him once more for the eyepatch and then I can I’ll have something like 50% affinity when striking a weak point. I have almost no defensive skills to speak off but seeing as I basically unlocked 6, 7 and 8 stars nearly back to back I can go and brute force all those optionals now.

Currently using the Rathian charge blade (just need that damn ruby for the final upgrade) but with all that affinity the Diablos tree is looking real fine when you don’t have that - affinity.

• Options
    CalebrosCalebros a k a TimesNewPwnin Registered User regular
    Fiskebent wrote: »
    Doing tempered elder dragons with randoms seem like an exercise in futility. There's always that guy there with his glass cannon build that dies 3 times.

Yeah. Maybe in 6 months when the only people left playing are the people who have had at least 6 months experience, but right now there are too many people who got to the end game without actually knowing anything about the deeper systems that just shatter when the game starts assuming you were paying attention.

• Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    I've had no issues running Tempered Elders with randoms, other than the occasional 1-faint that ends on one of the various "whoops" deaths that can happen.

The bigger issue for me is that you have to be quick on the draw to actually get into a Tempered Elder SOS.

• Options
    milskimilski Poyo! Registered User regular
    fRAWRst wrote: »
    (always longsword counter teo novas)

I ate an engineer
  • Options
    Had a nergy tempered that I sos'd for some company that the puggies who joined were not up to the task of handling.

Other than that I've generally have good luck with it.

• Options
    CalebrosCalebros a k a TimesNewPwnin Registered User regular
    I am so excited for Deviljho. Not just his fight but the armor and weapons.

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    hm, tried to theorycraft a high affinity crit boost +3 white sharpness insect glaive set but even with all that it's worse than just clubbing them with the blue diablos glaive.

that's a bummer.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Knight_ wrote: »
    hm, tried to theorycraft a high affinity crit boost +3 white sharpness insect glaive set but even with all that it's worse than just clubbing them with the blue diablos glaive.

that's a bummer.

you can pull off 3x teo + we +3 and crit boost with oda lance

its prettyyyyyy good and never loses white

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    yea i was trying to make the oda glaive viable, but it's still like 5% effective raw worse than the diablos glaive and gives up a lot of defensive tools to get there.

and that's assuming 100% weakness hits, which isn't super realistic.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    As far as upcoming monsters go, are people drawing on their knowledge of how they’re rolled out from previous games, or have there been any info/hints from Capcom on what’s coming next?

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    Deviljho has a teaser trailer about a week before release

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    yeah no word on anything beyond that initial deviljho trailer months ago

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    Fondor_YardsFondor_Yards Elite Four Member: Hydra Registered User regular
    There's a list leaked from a while back that so far has been spot on and has 3 more monsters on it iirc.

Secrets, lies, and tragedy. The trifecta.
    3DS Code: 5043-2172-1361
    Xbone Tag: Salal al Din
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    There's a list leaked from a while back that so far has been spot on and has 3 more monsters on it iirc.

leaked before or after deviljho, because if it was accurate in that the first one would be deviljho but then it came out in february that's not impressive :P

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    edited March 2018

spoilers here so dont click if you care
    https://imgur.com/gallery/Tdulu

the 3 missing are oroshi kirin (ice kirin)
    lunestra (female teo counterpart)
    and alateon (third generation final boss and arguably the best one ever designed ((but i like amatsu and atkala and gog alot too))

fRAWRst on
    J3qcnBP.png
  • Options

leaked before or after deviljho, because if it was accurate in that the first one would be deviljho but then it came out in february that's not impressive :P

way before

J3qcnBP.png
  • Options
    milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    Everything's going well on a Tempered Teostra hunt.
    We get him to fly back to his lair and fall asleep.
    We plant all the bombs and wake his ass up with a huge explosion.
    He takes to the air to release a Supernova.
    I run and dive, and all three of my teammates cart.
    Back to Astera.

What a fucking clown show.

• Options
    Holy shit.

The Rotten Vale is a huge Dalamadur.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular

and alateon (third generation final boss and arguably the best one ever designed ((but i like amatsu and atkala and gog alot too))

I'm calling bullshit on that.
    Lunastra hasn't been in any games since Tri at all. 4U let you make the equipment as alternate Teostra stuff (trade teo bits in for luna bits), but that's it.

Oroshi Kirin I can see coming back... but it will be an utterly miserable fight. Kirin does NOT work well when it has the insane multiplayer resists. The difference between getting staggers and never getting staggers as it prances around is massive.

Alatreon sure, I'm game. It has great looking armor and is a great fight (and also a strong use case for blightproof).

I've seen other lists that were more plausible, by including things like Zinogre (who is a fan favorite on both sides of the ocean).

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    Man, grouping for tempered kirin is suffering. I know the fight well and hardly get hit, but one lucky stun bolt and Kirin will line up the ground mega lightning right on you : (

Getting punked in someone else's quest feels the woooorst.

• Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Qanamil wrote: »
    Man, grouping for tempered kirin is suffering. I know the fight well and hardly get hit, but one lucky stun bolt and Kirin will line up the ground mega lightning right on you : (

I've come to the conclusion today that I really do not want to fight tempered kirin in groups unless they dial back the stagger threshold increases for multiplayer. 3 people beating on it and it never tripped. Solo and I can trip it 2-3 times a hunt. Even if we'd started with 4, I think we'd still have finished slower than if I solo'd, and given the HP multiplier is only 2.x, that's pretty bad.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Polaritie wrote: »

I'm calling bullshit on that.
    Lunastra hasn't been in any games since Tri at all. 4U let you make the equipment as alternate Teostra stuff (trade teo bits in for luna bits), but that's it.

Oroshi Kirin I can see coming back... but it will be an utterly miserable fight. Kirin does NOT work well when it has the insane multiplayer resists. The difference between getting staggers and never getting staggers as it prances around is massive.

Alatreon sure, I'm game. It has great looking armor and is a great fight (and also a strong use case for blightproof).

I've seen other lists that were more plausible, by including things like Zinogre (who is a fan favorite on both sides of the ocean).
    lunasra lets them reuse the skeleton of teo which seems to be a big problem hence the severely limited number of skeletons in this game

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    QanamilQanamil x Registered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Qanamil wrote: »

I've come to the conclusion today that I really do not want to fight tempered kirin in groups unless they dial back the stagger threshold increases for multiplayer. 3 people beating on it and it never tripped. Solo and I can trip it 2-3 times a hunt. Even if we'd started with 4, I think we'd still have finished slower than if I solo'd, and given the HP multiplier is only 2.x, that's pretty bad.

For real, especially when you're IG flipping all over that dumb sparkle horse.