As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Monster Hunter] World: New elder dragon event. Squad up!

• Fondor_YardsFondor_Yards Elite Four Member: Hydra Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    I am happy to present, FFFFFF!
    Fondor's Fantasticly Fanatical Field Fishing Fguide

Why should I bother fishing? Well if you don't really need to. If you don't mind not finishing the one quest line, there's nothing you're missing you can't get anywhere else. But for me, I find fishing is a nice way to change things up. A nice relaxing break after a hectic tempered hunt where one hit will cart you. Plus depending on your play style, there are a number of nice rewards they will cut down your other mat farming/purchases by a lot amount. So since I like fishing, I've decided to hunt down all the best spots so you don't have to!

Feel free to add any spawn spots/fishing holes I've missed. As well as anything else I've missed. Will only be covering 'fishable' fish, so things like Hopguppys or Climbing Joyperch are not included.

General Tips:

While you can catch fish with the net, this will scare away all the others. So it is only recommended if you are only there for a few and think you can net them all before they run away.

Getting in the water or even too close to the edge will often scare away the possible, possibly out of the zone if in the water. Should usually fish from a little ways back. Using a ghilie suit will let you walk up to the edge or even fish from the water.

Great Versions of fish drop items that have a greatly(shocking) increased version of the normal effect, and are well worth catching. Once you know the spawn at a fishing hole, they can be quite easy to spot since they don't replace a normal spawn but are there in addition to the normal one. This can make some, like Great Tuna very easy to spot from even far distances.

Lots of later fish don't like you wiggling the bait, so make sure to check their entry in the book before you do if you're not sure.

Like other gathering spots, fish do respawn if you wander off for a while, time required unknown. You do not need to fish them all first. Great/Rare spawns do not respawn(haven't checked that very much but I'd bet money that they don't.)

If you pull out your rod and point it at water, if will be light grey if you can't try to fish there, and white if you can.

Fish can clip through rocks/over terrain features and I believe most ponds actually extend through the surrounding area, so if you don't see something that should normally be there(rotten vale Zone 15 is real bad for this) try fishing anyways and they might swim out of a rock towards your bait.

Fishing Hole Ranks are for within their map only, otherwise some of the later spots would destroy the early ones.

Pink Parexus: Very common, but useless. Only fishable fish with no drops or large research point bonus.
    Whetfish: Drops scales that speed up weapon sharpening, useful for melee weapons.
    Sushifish: Drops scales that stop bleeding and quick a very short term boost to natural healing. Probably more useful once pickle gets added.
    Burst Arowana: Drops scales that can be used to make large amounts of t2 gunpowder. Useful for gunners. Possibly more useful then the Bomb Arowana since many guns seem to get more out of t2 ammo types.
    Bomb Arowana: Drops scales that can be used to make large amounts of t3 gunpowder. Useful for gunners.
    Gunpowderfish: Drops scales that can be used to make mega bombs. Useful for everyone.
    Goldenfry: Drops scales that can be sold for low profit.
    Goldenfish: Drops scales that can be sold for medium profit.
    Platinumfish: Drops scales that can be sold for high profit.
    Gastronome Tuna: Gives large amount of research point, and drops one random item(in my experience they tend to be good things like max/ancient potions or buff berruies.)
    King Marlin: Gives large amount of research points. Looks cool.
    Petricanths: aka the living fossil. Good for a nice chunk of research points, looking pretty and is the end of the fishing quest.

Ancient Forest:
    Lots of fishing spots here, including a bunch of small hidden ones, but the quality of the said spots can vary greatly.

Zone 1:
    Tons of Whetfish
    Tons of Sushifish
    Tons of Pink Parexus
    1 Burst Arowana (likes to hide, might not always spawn?)

Zone 4: The beach!
    Tons of Whetfish
    Tons of Sushifish
    Tons of Pink Parexus
    1 Gastronome Tuna
    Possible (and only I know of) King Marlin Spawn

Rank: C, just for those clear waves that let you see the whole spawn from the hill top so you don't need to murder the kestodon beach goers for no reason.

Zone 9: Possibly HR only after the combat fish stop spawning
    2 Pink Parexus

Rank: F, just terrible, there's their big pond after the waterfall and that's it?

Zone 10: Just north west of the number 10 on the map, very small pool
    3 Goldenfry

Rank: C, Nice little hidden spawn for some easy quick money (it's so small it's probably easier to just net them all in 1 or 2 tries then fish), but also ya know, only 3 fish

Zone 11: left of the camp in the cave up top with the 2 mushrooms, bonepile, and cat spawn:
    2 different pool with spawns.
    Small Pool:
    2 Bomb Arowana

Large Pool:
    2 Goldenfry
    2-3 Whetfish
    2-3 Sushifish
    2-3 Pink Parexus

Rank: B, A nice little spawn right next to the camp, your first chance at Bomb Arowanas.

Zone 11: at the very bottom of the zone, 3 different spawns
    Left: a small pool above the middle area, best fished from above since dropping down to it will usually scare off the fish.
    1 Goldenfry
    1 Whetfish
    1 Pink Parexus
    2 Bomb Arowanas

Middle:
    2-3 Whetfish
    2-3 Sushifish
    2-3 Pink Parexus
    2 Burst Arowana

Right:
    2-3 Whetfish
    2-3 Sushifish
    2-3 Pink Parexus
    2 Burst Arowana

Rank: A, spread out so if you scare one spawn the others will stay, good variety and overall numbers.

Zone 14: The bottom level below the Tobi nest, in front of the giant spider web you can walk through.

1 Sushifish
    1 Pink Parexus
    2 Burst Arowana
    1 Bomb Arowana

Rank: C, nice selection, but small size and in the middle of nowhere.

Wildspire Wastes:
    More fish then you'd expect for a map that's more then half desert. But doesn't add anything new.

Zone 1:
    3-4 Whetfish
    3-4 Sushifish
    2-3 Pink Parexus
    2 Burst Arowana(like to hide)

Zone 10: 2 Pools

Top Pool: Bottom left area of the zone, where the honey is

2 Sushifish (Seem to have problems with the current and can't swim against it?)

Bottom Pool: After the waterfall, where you can spiderman around on the wedge beetles. They can spawn in any of the 3 pools there it seems, and the area seems to be big enough so you can fish it out, go around collecting from on top the rocks and they will start respawning in one of the pools making this an easy farm area.
    3 Burst Arowana
    3 Bomb Arowana

Rank: B, limited selection, but if you're looking to make gunpowder this is a great spot to farm it. Can only get Arowanas in the bottom and they respawn quick due to the large pool area.

Zone 6: At the Camp
    3-4 Whetfish
    3-4 Sushifish
    2-3 Pink Parexus
    1 Goldenfry
    1 Gastronome Tuna

Rank: B, Selection is mostly trash, but it's inside the camp for super easy access.

Coral Highlands:
    You'd think the underwater themed zone would have great fishing, while this is good at first it gets outclassed by the later ones.

Zone 1:Right when you drop down
    2 Sushifish

Zone 7: Before you climb to the Tzitzi nest and around the corner
    1 Whetfish
    1-2 Sushifish
    2 Pink Parexus
    3-4 Gunpowderfish

Rank: C, small selection, but the cluster of gunpowderfish makes this worth while.

Zone 6: Down in the hidden underbelly of the Highlands
    1-2 Whetfish
    1-2 Sushifish
    2 Pink Parexus
    3-4 Burst Arowana
    3-4 Bomb Arowana
    2 Gunpowderfish

Rank: A, Wide variety with every not-profit fish of the map present. Shame it's not easier to get to, bit of a run from every camp.

Zone: 14 Small cave at the top area of the zone. Fish can be hard to see from ground level.

1 Goldenfry
    3 Goldenfish

Rotten Vale:
    Very few spots, but good god are they good ones.
    Zone 10: Right after you drop down from the camp
    1 Whetfish
    1 Sushifish
    1 Pink Parexus
    3 Burst Arowana
    3 Bomb Arowana
    1 Goldenfish
    1 Gastronome Tuna (in the back, hard to see)

Rank: A, Right next to a camp, check. Wide selection, check. Decent overage amount, check.

Zone 15: 2 Different ponds, one in the first cave where you crawl in, other is just beyond where the cats can spawn on the left side

Cave 1:
    2 Goldenfry
    4 Goldenfish
    Possible Petricanths Spawn

Cave 2:
    3 Goldenfish

Zone 9:
    1-2 Pink Parexus
    3 Whetfish
    3 Sushifish
    1 Burst Arowana
    1 Bomb Arowana
    2 Gunpowderfish

Rank: C, Actually not bad, but not as good as the others.

Elder's Recess:
    As few spots as the Vale, but they all are within 20 seconds of camp makes getting to them super easy.

Zone:1 Behind the base camp, 2 different pools, one big one small

Big Pool:
    2 Sushifish
    2 Pink Parexus

Small Pool:
    1 Sushifish
    1 Pink Parexus

Zone: 7 Right at the Zone 7 and 5 border. Can access this very quickly from the first camp, heading to the first fishing spot and dropping down twice.

4 Sushifish
    4 Pink Parexus
    2 Platinumfish

Zone: 8 As pointed out by user, the crystals at the pond edge seem to be magic and nullify the fish's normal ability to phase through them to escape. What this means practically is that if you catch a fish with a net(or presumably anything else that normally makes them all run away) they will scatter around, but will NOT disappear as they usually do. So for example you can net the gunpowderfish cluster at the edge and wait for them to settle and net them again.

2 Pink Parexus
    2 Whetfish
    2 Sushifish
    1 Burst Arowana
    1 Bomb Arowana (in the back, hard to see)
    4 Gunpowderfish
    1 Goldenfish
    1 Platinumfish
    1 Gastronome Tuna

Rank: A, Every fish but Goldenfry and Marlin in one spot inside a camp, I guess that's alright.

Fondor_Yards on
    Secrets, lies, and tragedy. The trifecta.
    3DS Code: 5043-2172-1361
    Xbone Tag: Salal al Din
  • Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    So I think this wiggle thing is getting out of hand.

https://m.imgur.com/r/MonsterHunter/GMwbT7z

• WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    So, White Wind of the New World down to 10 minutes and 15 seconds. If I hadn't been caught in the throw animation by Rathalos I might have been able to get in under 10 minutes and called it a day.

That said, I know what the big problems are for my run on this. At least, I think I do.

First: Odogaron. It loves to dodge. I bring two traps and use both of them on it, and I think this is the best imaginable use of them. First order of business is to lay down a pit trap, and charge up a power charge level 3 to unleash as soon as it's stuck. Then run over to the boulder lever, drop the boulders, which stuns it for long enough to hit with an entire Big Bang combo and then follow up with the level 1 charge > upswing > triangle combo to build up some stun. It's best if I stun it at this point, but if I don't then I'll lay a shock trap under its feet as it gets up and roars. If I do stun it, I do an entire Big Bang again, then lay a shock trap under it. Enough focused damage and it doesn't really get to act.

Second: I'm taking too much prep time in the middle of the fight. My Palico is carrying the Radobaan hammer, which has sleep on it, and given time it will put every monster to sleep. My first reaction is to stop, sharpen, lay down some mega barrel bombs for Diablos and/or Rathalos, and then go into a level 3 power charge to give them a wakeup call. This works fine and is a good burst of damage, but I think I would actually be ahead in terms of damage-per-minute if I skipped the barrel bombs and the sharpening and just went to town on them. None of these beasties have enough health to get a +5 Handicraft Diablos Shatter 2 to green sharpness, not with Weakness Exploit running and me hitting them in the brain. I also need to stop focusing on hitting Diablos's head once its horns are broken and it's stunned, since I can wail on its belly pretty much constantly and get better damage that way to boot.

What I really need to do is lay down Mega Barrel bombs in front of me, put on the Rocksteady Mantle as soon as Diablos goes underground, and wait for it with a level 3 charge. Let it comes out of the ground to that shit, see how it likes it.

I save my Affinity Booster for Rathalos, but I'm laying it down once it falls asleep. What I really need to do is lay it down once it starts flying, use a flash pod as it's within range, and then beat it to death as fast as I can.

Fast damage is a very different game in this compared to safe damage, and I tend toward the latter too much if I want to get an arbitrarily low time

dN0T6ur.png
  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    I would congratulate you, but I"m sure there's somebody who's managed to do it in 2 minutes... so... :P

“I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Sub ten min solo is a great time for endgame stuff. That's impressive for that quest in particular.

I did the immunity mantle quest with gunlance earlier. God that trivialized Teostra to just guard poke endlessly (maxed guard skills, supernova does like... one roll of stamina and less than a potion of health?) and upswing combo on trips.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Holy crappppppppp The gunlance is a lot of fun.

I guess that as soon as it clicked that i could literally block ANYTHING with the shield, i fell in love.

it's not too complicated but has stuff to manage. It's good on offense and defense.... Only thing I have trouble adjusting to is the speed and mobility.

Longsword may have a contender to face off against as "fave weapon".

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Also I'm assuming i'm doing the right thing in getting HR armor between Finding Elder's Recess and Fighting Spikeyboy.

Put together a lance set with Vaal Helm B, Vaal chest B, Teo B, Vaal Waist B, and Uragaan pants A, and Ironside Charm 3. Probably not optimal but makes me unkillable as long as don't do something real dumb and a bunch of gem spots.

• BubsBubs Not Burbs ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Also I'm assuming i'm doing the right thing in getting HR armor between Finding Elder's Recess and Fighting Spikeyboy.

I’d advise you to never stop getting HR armor. I kept hearing about Free Element and how much of a bitch it was to get, and by the time I figured out what it was and that I actually needed it I already had a full set of Kirin armor to use.

PSN: thewheelz
  • SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    I'm now realizing just how much worse the online for this game is compared to the 3DS version. I find it dumb that you can only search for quests as an SOS, and that you can only see a few open quests that seem randomly picked, since hitting back and then searching again just brings up a new page of joinable quests.

I preferred the 3DS method of just searching for rooms with a specific monster target.

• Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    yea, the multiplayer system is my biggest bummer in this game.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
  • BubsBubs Not Burbs ChicagoRegistered User regular
    Knight_ wrote: »
    yea, the multiplayer system is my biggest bummer in this game.

That’s really saying something

PSN: thewheelz
  • FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Question re: deco sniping...

Do you have to COMPLETE a quest to move the stacks forward? I tried Return from Quest and it didn't move the stack.

Edit: tested it by completing a quest, and this time I found out I was at the '2' portion of skips, because I was in the set I wanted to snipe from. Got a Special Ammo gem. Then I realized there's almost no reason to bother keeping that snipe because I already have Special Ammo Boost at rank 2 from the Kaiser chest. I reverted to my cloud save, cuz I can go back and do it again in the morning if I really want it.

Man, I'm gonna need to start farming for more gems, cuz I only had enough to check through four stacks.

Fawst on
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    I'm now realizing just how much worse the online for this game is compared to the 3DS version. I find it dumb that you can only search for quests as an SOS, and that you can only see a few open quests that seem randomly picked, since hitting back and then searching again just brings up a new page of joinable quests.

I preferred the 3DS method of just searching for rooms with a specific monster target.

I assumed how it worked was a holdover from some archaic 3DS matchmaking system, so I’m surprised to learn it’s something cooked up in this decade.

smCQ5WE.jpg
  • SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    So blast in this version is different then in previous games.

1. Bombardier no longer effects it but the blast skill itself will add damage to the blasts.
    2. But more importantly instead of just accumulating on the center mass and exploding out for x damage per part it now will randomly choose a breakable part and trigger on that part. When there are no more breakable parts it will choose center mass and keep triggering.

This has the added advantage of no longer making blast useless past a point in a fight as there is. No longer a resistance to it being built.

Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
    No longer a resistance to it being built? Does that mean blast will trigger in the same number of activated hits every time?

dN0T6ur.png
  • fRAWRstfRAWRst The Seas Call The Mad AnswerRegistered User regular
    edited March 2018
    oh hey

this is some good math for a gs build

https://www.reddit.com/r/MonsterHunter/comments/7ygyjs/after_countless_hours_of_mixing_matching_testing/

Now that we have our True Damage, we need to calculate exactly how much damage each individual attack does. I believe these next calculations are called motion values, but I could be wrong.

The Bone Blade 1 has 100 True Damage, and a regular, non charged overhead slash (first triangle attack) on the weak parts of the post, we consistently did 38 damage. This means that our regular triangle attack does 38% of our True Damage, or has a motion value of 0.38.

I verified this with a Jagras Hacker 3, which does 88 damage, with the same attack, on the same spot of the post. We must account for sharpness, as blue sharpness gives us a 1.2 modifier, so we have to divide this figure by 1.2. This gives us a value of 73. When we divide 73 by 190, we get 0.385, which is close enough to assume that our calculation is correct and we can now continue with the Bone Blade 1, for the sake easier to work with/understand numbers, since it has a True Damage of 100, and less operations (don’t need to account for sharpness, since yellow sharpness is a 1.00 modifier).

Next, we will determine the motion value of the True Charged Slash. With the Bone Blade 1, I was consistently doing 174 damage with my TCS, and if we divide this by our True Damage (174/100) we will get a motion value of 1.74. Once again I verified this with the Jagras Hacker 3, and my TCS did 396 damage. Dividing by 1.2 for sharpness gave us a value of 330. 330 divided by our True Damage (396/1.2/190) gave us 1.736, which if we round, gives us 1.74. So once again this motion value seems to be correct.

fRAWRst on
    J3qcnBP.png
    It's interesting that their motion values for the TCS don't seem to match up with what's presented in the guide. I wonder why that is? Does the guide use outdated information? Does the training post have a defense rating not being accounted for?

dN0T6ur.png
  • Psychotic OnePsychotic One The Lord of No Pants Parts UnknownRegistered User regular
    Anyone got any good builds saved somewhere for both Decimation Claws and Fire & Ice? I'm on the cusp of crafting both blades and not sure how to start building my hunter to take advantage of them. Do I focus on raw damage or do I go for stability mods so Roars and Tremors wont stop my assualt?

• useruser Registered User regular

Why should I bother fishing? Well if you don't really need to. If you don't mind not finishing the one quest line, there's nothing you're missing you can't get anywhere else. But for me, I find fishing is a nice way to change things up. A nice relaxing break after a hectic tempered hunt where one hit will cart you. Plus depending on your play style, there are a number of nice rewards they will cut down your other mat farming/purchases by a lot amount. So since I like fishing, I've decided to hunt down all the best spots so you don't have to!

Feel free to add any spawn spots/fishing holes I've missed. As well as anything else I've missed. Will only be covering 'fishable' fish, so things like Hopguppys or Climbing Joyperch are not included.

General Tips:

While you can catch fish with the net, this will scare away all the others. So it is only recommended if you are only there for a few and think you can net them all before they run away.

Getting in the water or even too close to the edge will often scare away the possible, possibly out of the zone if in the water. Should usually fish from a little ways back. Using a ghilie suit will let you walk up to the edge or even fish from the water.

Great Versions of fish drop items that have a greatly(shocking) increased version of the normal effect, and are well worth catching. Once you know the spawn at a fishing hole, they can be quite easy to spot since they don't replace a normal spawn but are there in addition to the normal one. This can make some, like Great Tuna very easy to spot from even far distances.

Lots of later fish don't like you wiggling the bait, so make sure to check their entry in the book before you do if you're not sure.

Like other gathering spots, fish do respawn if you wander off for a while, time required unknown. You do not need to fish them all first. Great/Rare spawns do not respawn(haven't checked that very much but I'd bet money that they don't.)

If you pull out your rod and point it at water, if will be light grey if you can't try to fish there, and white if you can.

Fish can clip through rocks/over terrain features and I believe most ponds actually extend through the surrounding area, so if you don't see something that should normally be there(rotten vale Zone 15 is real bad for this) try fishing anyways and they might swim out of a rock towards your bait.

Fishing Hole Ranks are for within their map only, otherwise some of the later spots would destroy the early ones.

Pink Parexus: Very common, but useless. Only fishable fish with no drops or large research point bonus.
    Whetfish: Drops scales that speed up weapon sharpening, useful for melee weapons.
    Sushifish: Drops scales that stop bleeding and quick a very short term boost to natural healing. Probably more useful once pickle gets added.
    Burst Arowana: Drops scales that can be used to make large amounts of t2 gunpowder. Useful for gunners. Possibly more useful then the Bomb Arowana since many guns seem to get more out of t2 ammo types.
    Bomb Arowana: Drops scales that can be used to make large amounts of t3 gunpowder. Useful for gunners.
    Gunpowderfish: Drops scales that can be used to make mega bombs. Useful for everyone.
    Gastronome Tuna: Gives large amount of research point, and drops one random item(in my experience they tend to be good things like max/ancient potions or buff berruies.)
    Petricanths: aka the living fossil. Good for a nice chunk of research points, looking pretty and is the end of the fishing quest.

Ancient Forest:
    Lots of fishing spots here, including a bunch of small hidden ones, but the quality of the said spots can vary greatly.

Zone 1:
    Tons of Whetfish
    Tons of Sushifish
    Tons of Pink Parexus

Tons of Whetfish
    Tons of Sushifish
    Tons of Pink Parexus
    1 Gastronome Tuna

Rank: C, just for those clear waves that let you see the whole spawn from the hill top so you don't need to murder the kestodon beach goers for no reason.

2 Pink Parexus

Rank: F, just terrible, there's their big pond after the waterfall and that's it?

3 Goldenfry

Rank: C, Nice little hidden spawn for some easy quick money (it's so small it's probably easier to just net them all in 1 or 2 tries then fish), but also ya know, only 3 fish

Zone 11: left of the camp in the cave up top with the 2 mushrooms, bonepile, and cat spawn:
    Small Pool:
    2 Bomb Arowana

Large Pool:
    2 Goldenfry
    2-3 Whetfish
    2-3 Sushifish
    2-3 Pink Parexus

Rank: B, A nice little spawn right next to the camp, your first chance at Bomb Arowanas.

Left: a small pool above the middle area, best fished from above since dropping down to it will usually scare off the fish.
    1 Goldenfry
    1 Whetfish
    1 Pink Parexus
    2 Bomb Arowanas

Middle:
    2-3 Whetfish
    2-3 Sushifish
    2-3 Pink Parexus
    2 Burst Arowana

Right:
    2-3 Whetfish
    2-3 Sushifish
    2-3 Pink Parexus
    2 Burst Arowana

Rank: A, spread out so if you scare one spawn the others will stay, good variety and overall numbers.

Zone 14: The bottom level below the Tobi nest, in front of the giant spider web you can walk through.

1 Sushifish
    1 Pink Parexus
    2 Burst Arowana
    1 Bomb Arowana

Wildspire Wastes:
    More fish then you'd expect for a map that's more then half desert. But doesn't add anything new.

Zone 1:
    3-4 Whetfish
    3-4 Sushifish
    2-3 Pink Parexus

Bottom Pool: After the waterfall, where you can spiderman around on the wedge beetles. They can spawn in any of the 3 pools there it seems, and the area seems to be big enough so you can fish it out, go around collecting from on top the rocks and they will start respawning in one of the pools making this an easy farm area.
    3 Burst Arowana
    3 Bomb Arowana

Rank: B, limited selection, but if you're looking to make gunpowder this is a great spot to farm it. Can only get Arowanas in the bottom and they respawn quick due to the large pool area.

3-4 Whetfish
    3-4 Sushifish
    2-3 Pink Parexus
    1 Goldenfry
    1 Gastronome Tuna

Rank: B, Selection is mostly trash, but it's inside the camp for super easy access.

Coral Highlands:
    You'd think the underwater themed zone would have great fishing, while this is good at first it gets outclassed by the later ones.

2 Sushifish

1 Whetfish
    1-2 Sushifish
    2 Pink Parexus
    3-4 Gunpowderfish

Rank: C, small selection, but the cluster of gunpowderfish makes this worth while.

1-2 Whetfish
    1-2 Sushifish
    2 Pink Parexus
    3-4 Burst Arowana
    3-4 Bomb Arowana
    2 Gunpowderfish

Rank: A, Wide variety with every not-profit fish of the map present. Shame it's not easier to get to, bit of a run from every camp.

Zone: 14 Small cave at the top area of the zone. Fish can be hard to see from ground level.

1 Goldenfry
    3 Goldenfish

Rotten Vale:
    1 Whetfish
    1 Sushifish
    1 Pink Parexus
    3 Burst Arowana
    3 Bomb Arowana
    1 Goldenfish

Rank: A, Right next to a camp, check. Wide selection, check. Decent overage amount, check.

Zone 15: 2 Different ponds, one in the first cave where you crawl in, other is just beyond where the cats can spawn on the left side

Cave 1:
    2 Goldenfry
    4 Goldenfish

Cave 2:
    3 Goldenfish

Zone 9:
    1-2 Pink Parexus
    3 Whetfish
    3 Sushifish
    1 Burst Arowana
    1 Bomb Arowana
    2 Gunpowderfish

Elder's Recess:
    As few spots as the Vale, but they all are within 20 seconds of camp makes getting to them super easy.

Big Pool:
    2 Sushifish
    2 Pink Parexus

Small Pool:
    1 Sushifish
    1 Pink Parexus

Zone: 7 Right at the Zone 7 and 5 border. Can access this very quickly from the first camp, heading to the first fishing spot and dropping down twice.

4 Sushifish
    4 Pink Parexus
    2 Platinumfish

Zone: 8

2 Pink Parexus
    2 Whetfish
    2 Sushifish
    1 Burst Arowana
    4 Gunpowderfish
    1 Goldenfish
    1 Platinumfish
    1 Gastronome Tuna

Rank: A, Every fish but Goldenfry and Marlin in one spot inside a camp, I guess that's alright.

In the Area 8 Elder Recess Ponds, you can actually catch every single fish with the Capture Net, they scare off towards the back, with each cast but they never despawn and do come back after a few seconds.

• SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    I just hit high rank. The wiggler hat is by far my best piece of gear.

I'm never taking it off.

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
    user wrote: »

General Tips:

Ancient Forest:

Zone 1:
    Tons of Whetfish
    Tons of Sushifish
    Tons of Pink Parexus

Tons of Whetfish
    Tons of Sushifish
    Tons of Pink Parexus
    1 Gastronome Tuna

2 Pink Parexus

3 Goldenfry

Small Pool:
    2 Bomb Arowana

Large Pool:
    2 Goldenfry
    2-3 Whetfish
    2-3 Sushifish
    2-3 Pink Parexus

1 Goldenfry
    1 Whetfish
    1 Pink Parexus
    2 Bomb Arowanas

Middle:
    2-3 Whetfish
    2-3 Sushifish
    2-3 Pink Parexus
    2 Burst Arowana

Right:
    2-3 Whetfish
    2-3 Sushifish
    2-3 Pink Parexus
    2 Burst Arowana

1 Sushifish
    1 Pink Parexus
    2 Burst Arowana
    1 Bomb Arowana

Wildspire Wastes:

Zone 1:
    3-4 Whetfish
    3-4 Sushifish
    2-3 Pink Parexus

3 Burst Arowana
    3 Bomb Arowana

3-4 Whetfish
    3-4 Sushifish
    2-3 Pink Parexus
    1 Goldenfry
    1 Gastronome Tuna

Coral Highlands:

2 Sushifish

1 Whetfish
    1-2 Sushifish
    2 Pink Parexus
    3-4 Gunpowderfish

1-2 Whetfish
    1-2 Sushifish
    2 Pink Parexus
    3-4 Burst Arowana
    3-4 Bomb Arowana
    2 Gunpowderfish

1 Goldenfry
    3 Goldenfish

Rotten Vale:
    1 Whetfish
    1 Sushifish
    1 Pink Parexus
    3 Burst Arowana
    3 Bomb Arowana
    1 Goldenfish

Cave 1:
    2 Goldenfry
    4 Goldenfish

Cave 2:
    3 Goldenfish

Zone 9:
    1-2 Pink Parexus
    3 Whetfish
    3 Sushifish
    1 Burst Arowana
    1 Bomb Arowana
    2 Gunpowderfish

Elder's Recess:

Big Pool:
    2 Sushifish
    2 Pink Parexus

Small Pool:
    1 Sushifish
    1 Pink Parexus

4 Sushifish
    4 Pink Parexus
    2 Platinumfish

Zone: 8

2 Pink Parexus
    2 Whetfish
    2 Sushifish
    1 Burst Arowana
    4 Gunpowderfish
    1 Goldenfish
    1 Platinumfish
    1 Gastronome Tuna

In the Area 8 Elder Recess Ponds, you can actually catch every single fish with the Capture Net, they scare off towards the back, with each cast but they never despawn and do come back after a few seconds.

Curious, tried it there and it does work, but doesn't in the few others I tried. Looks like they made it so the fish can't phase through rock there like they can everyone else to escape? Either way, nice find. I'll try and test it out everywhere now when I get a chance.

• furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    I was offline Saturday night and I am not a fan of solo hunting so instead I completed the 4 hidden endemic life trophies. The petricanth was the only real grind.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    Man, Lance really is fun if you're in the mood to say "what else do you want to try hitting me with?" Also, I can't believe I wasn't using the dash attack on downed monsters before. I have no idea what has more deeps between that and targeting a weak spot with thrust combos, but running non-stop into a monster's head, back, and tail is pretty amusing.

• NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    I forgot to record it, but I beat the “kill an anjanath midair with a slinger bomb” by killing nergigante mid five with a dragon pod.

• JustTeeJustTee Registered User regular

Uh...am I missing something here? You can search for a specific monster target. On the SOS search, the last option let's you specify what monster you want to search for....?

Diagnosed with AML on 6/1/12. Read about it: www.effleukemia.com
    JustTee wrote: »

Uh...am I missing something here? You can search for a specific monster target. On the SOS search, the last option let's you specify what monster you want to search for....?

If you actually use all the features the multiplayer search is really deep. You can pick what type of mission (assigned, optional, expedition, investigation), choose the high or low rank version, choose if rewards are still available, and then choose target monster on top of that. I agree that forming squads is needlessly stupid, but the SOS function had a ton of care of into it.

• CesareBCesareB Registered User regular
    But the bullet and bought the game for myself and a PlayStation to go with it. Night one ended with a satisfying Barroth kill where I cut off his tail and then also somehow carved his tail from his body as well. I'm gonna be behind forever but gah this game is fun regardless.

• NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    CesareB wrote: »
    But the bullet and bought the game for myself and a PlayStation to go with it. Night one ended with a satisfying Barroth kill where I cut off his tail and then also somehow carved his tail from his body as well. I'm gonna be behind forever but gah this game is fun regardless.

No such thing as being behind, just hunting monsters

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
    It is not a race.

• vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    furlion wrote: »
    JustTee wrote: »

If you actually use all the features the multiplayer search is really deep. You can pick what type of mission (assigned, optional, expedition, investigation), choose the high or low rank version, choose if rewards are still available, and then choose target monster on top of that. I agree that forming squads is needlessly stupid, but the SOS function had a ton of care of into it.

Not to mention, for non-squad normal matchmaking things, you can search for rooms with specefic types of targets too.

Like, people create Arena rooms and you can search for them to do Arena quests. Same for 9* Tempered rooms, etc. It';s quite easy to set up and search for rooms with randoms with specefic types of targets in mind even when not doing SOSes.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    I think I was misunderstood, I know you can search by monster in the SOS screen, my gripe is that you're limited to SOS signals.

In previous games, you'd create an online lobby (and actually use the gathering hall) and post a quest. So if people searched for that monster, they would find your lobby. And you would remain in that lobby afterwards, so it was easy to get multiple hunts with a group of people.

Now everyone disbands and you have to rely on SOS signals, and pray you didn't just jump in to a quest with one continue left and have the host faint as soon as you finish loading.

The lobby system on the 3ds was much deeper than the new one, you could set some very specific variables.

Satsumomo on
    edited March 2018
    Most of the terribleness seems to be limited to the squad system.

Fun fact: if someone leaves the squad it will not remove them from the squad list automatically.

The squad leader needs to view their guild card and then the game will process their departure.

How would one know? No idea.

Now I just take a few minutes to check every card on the squad once a week.

Seidkona on
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Entaru wrote: »

Fun fact: if someone leaves the squad it will not remove them from the squad list automatically.

The squad leader needs to view their guild card and then the game will process their departure.

How does that even work. And why do people leave squads when you can have what? 6 or 8 of them active at once?

I'm only in two, but hey....

Monster Hunter World Numbers: Over 7.5 Million.

A bit over 2.5 Million of those in Japan.

Which means 5 Million for the rest of the world so far.

I think I was misunderstood, I know you can search by monster in the SOS screen, my gripe is that you're limited to SOS signals.

In previous games, you'd create an online lobby (and actually use the gathering hall) and post a quest. So if people searched for that monster, they would find your lobby. And you would remain in that lobby afterwards, so it was easy to get multiple hunts with a group of people.

Now everyone disbands and you have to rely on SOS signals, and pray you didn't just jump in to a quest with one continue left and have the host faint as soon as you finish loading.

The lobby system on the 3ds was much deeper than the new one, you could set some very specific variables.

Create online Session-> Quest Preference -> Choose monster. Boom a 16 player lobby dedicated to hunting that monster. You can also adjust HR minimums, make it private, etc. Then you just share the session code with whoever. Or let them come to you by using the filter search to find and join your room. Again I feel like the full set of tools are not being used when people make complaints about the multiplayer.

Entaru wrote: »

Haha what

I've almost got the arena bow fully upgraded and I'm v excite about it

Embarrassingly, I need to get to HR 49, I need better decos and to upgrade a bunch of charms

Bring me the tempered hunts!!!

I have a hero's stone for each of my three weapons.

I need more warrior's and deco's though.

I usually create one set that is done and can always be relied on and then mutate and change everything after that. That set is almost done for now in World.

I still need a few more armor spheres and a nergy gem to augment life onto the Vaal lance.