As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

It's the Bogey Memorial Xth Annual Oscars Pool! CONGRATULATIONS TO PH BLAKE!

• Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    i didn't pick gary oldman for best actor and in doing so have passed through this crucible with my soul unstained

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Blake PM me your email address and whether you want 3 months of moviepass or a $30 gc to a movie place

Goose! on
  • MachwingMachwing It looks like a harmless old computer, doesn't it? Left in this cave to rot ... or to flower!Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    give that reward to fuzzbutt, damnit

if anybody needs to see a movie, it's him

Machwing on
    l3icwZV.png
  • Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Oh, cool, Moviepass has made it so that not only can you not buy gift subs (which I already knew), you also can't just buy the monthly rate! You have to buy the full year up front. Which was not the case when I first planned to use them as a prize. What a pain.

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    No more monthly payment options? And they got rid of gift subs that they just announced a couple months ago? WTF, Moviepass?

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
    They said gift subs were only for the holidays. And now that they're offering $7.95/month if you sign up for a year, I guess they're pushing that.

• XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    KOBE

• JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    Am I just listening to/singing Remember Me on loop at 2AM now?

Yes

• AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
  • SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    I haven't watched Shape of Water all the way through, but in the course of theater working, I walked in on the one scene where
    the cat is being eaten and, despite having no context, I hold a fierce grudge against Mr. Fishman for doing that. Don't even care if the rest of the movie is the most wonderful amazing Best Picture of 2017, boo to killing and devouring pet cats.

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    AtomicTofu wrote: »

When I scrolled past this with tired, just-woke-up eyes, I was wondering why Kojima was congratulating Darkest Hour

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    sk28xa4qthwg.jpg

• honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    SabreMau wrote: »
    I haven't watched Shape of Water all the way through, but in the course of theater working, I walked in on the one scene where
    the cat is being eaten and, despite having no context, I hold a fierce grudge against Mr. Fishman for doing that. Don't even care if the rest of the movie is the most wonderful amazing Best Picture of 2017, boo to killing and devouring pet cats.

That scene cost the movie a lot of godwill from the girlfriend.

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    The retroactive worst part of the Oscars is Taraji P. Henson clarifying that her red carpet thing with Seacrest was meant as a "keep your chin up" gesture and that she "absolutely" supports him after the sexual harassment allegations.

CYpGAPn.png
  • HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    It's pretty weird that people generally don't give a shit about depictions of violence towards cats but there are entire websites cataloguing dog violence so people can avoid those movies entirely.

It definitely left me feeling a little sour on shape of the water, and added some uncomfortable questions about the central relationship

PSN- AHermano
  • JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
  • StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Hermano wrote: »
    It's pretty weird that people generally don't give a shit about depictions of violence towards cats but there are entire websites cataloguing dog violence so people can avoid those movies entirely.

It definitely left me feeling a little sour on shape of the water, and added some uncomfortable questions about the central relationship

Those websites catalog violence against any non-human animals, generally

Straightzi on
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

I don't get that sense from mainstream media at all. I think the context in the film is entirely different than a human just hurting a cat.

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    The scene in Shape of Water was definitely rough but
    It didn't make me question their relationship.

He clearly didn't realize the cat was a pet,
    As that concept was probably entirely alien to him and I would imagine small animals=food out in the Amazon, but as soon as it became apparent that Richard Jenkins loved that animal the fish man was super apologetic and tried to make it up to him.

CYpGAPn.png
  • Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    Blankzilla wrote: »

As that concept was probably entirely alien to him and I would imagine small animals=food out in the Amazon, but as soon as it became apparent that Richard Jenkins loved that animal the fish man was super apologetic and tried to make it up to him.

yeah, I don't think it's "unable to know better" but instead "ignorant of why that wouldn't be acceptable"

f2ojmwh3geue.png
    Straightzi wrote: »

Those websites catalog violence against any non-human animals, generally

Ah fair enough, I only ever see it mentioned regarding dogs, my mistake

PSN- AHermano
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular

the name for the website 'Does the Dog Die' was mostly chosen for alliteration purposes, and will accept submissions of pretty much any form of animal abuse. I'm pretty sure everything is user submitted though, so it may be missing some

3clipse wrote: »

I don't get that sense from mainstream media at all. I think the context in the film is entirely different than a human just hurting a cat.

I just don't agree, there's entire movies about dogs and how sad it is when they die, with cats it's almost a joke.

Do you think this scene plays the same if it's a dog? Would the characters weirdly laughing it off with a shrug have happened?

PSN- AHermano
  • rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2018

I just don't agree, there's entire movies about dogs and how sad it is when they die, with cats it's almost a joke.

Do you think this scene plays the same if it's a dog? Would the characters weirdly laughing it off with a shrug have happened?

I think that the way Richard Jenkins’s character reacted to other things in the film he absolutely would’ve reacted the same way.

rhylith on
    Blankzilla wrote: »

Hmm ok that's a fair point
    I think generally the movie needed a greater display of intelligence, it didn't really act beyond what a smart primate could be taught to do, i think the movie ended up in a pretty murky area regarding consent

PSN- AHermano
  • 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular

I really can't think of a single instance in which a cat being genuinely hurt was played off for laughs. That scene itself wasn't even played off for laughs in Shape of Water, the later reactions to fishman's mistake were the only humor.

• A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod

I really can't think of a single instance in which a cat being genuinely hurt was played off for laughs. That scene itself wasn't even played off for laughs in Shape of Water, the later reactions to fishman's mistake were the only humor.

Christmas Vacation.

rhylith wrote: »

I think that the way Richard Jenkins’s character reacted to other things in the film he absolutely would’ve reacted the same way.

Oh no I mean, how would audiences react seeing Jenkin's reaction if it was a dog?

PSN- AHermano
    A duck! wrote: »

Christmas Vacation.

Never saw it. That's disappointing.

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    A duck! wrote: »

Christmas Vacation.

There's a comedy (can't remember the name) where one of the running "gags" is a cat getting abused horribly and repeatedly (for example, there's a scene where the cat overdoses on cocaine that's been left out.) At the end, the couple adopts the cat saying it has X number of lives left (where X equaled 9 - the number of "gags".)

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular

Disappointed this isn’t FFX Wakka

It’s underwater and everything

• rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Some asshole stole Frances McDormand’s Oscar at the Governor’s Ball last night.

They caught him today and got it back to her.

• AtomicTofuAtomicTofu She's a straight-up supervillain, yo Registered User regular
  • cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    i think...there was other reasons that it wasn't picked

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Wait a sec
    Where the fuck was powers boothe and Adam west in the memorial part of the show?

Bloods End on
    Yep. They left out Glen Campbell and Della Reese, too.

But hey, they managed to include a goddamn publicist.

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Yep. They left out Glen Campbell and Della Reese, too.

But hey, they managed to include a goddamn publicist.

Who was a member of the academy, which is what they are honoring.

I wonder if the "snubs" were because they weren't members? Not sure how to check.

http://deadline.com/2018/03/oscars-in-memoriam-snubs-adam-west-tobe-hooper-list-1202311599/

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular