As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[L5R LCG] Imperial cycle has releases faster than One Punch Man fight scenes.

• cckerberoscckerberos Registered User regular
    Clan loyalty has never meant that you didn't play other clans outside of tournaments. Every clan loyal player I knew still had other decks they played for fun. Being clan loyal really just meant that you played and rooted for that clan in storyline tournaments.

Since FFG seems to have gotten rid of any clan-related story prizes, the thing has lost much of its significance.

cckerberos.png
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    cckerberos wrote: »
    Clan loyalty has never meant that you didn't play other clans outside of tournaments. Every clan loyal player I knew still had other decks they played for fun. Being clan loyal really just meant that you played and rooted for that clan in storyline tournaments.

Since FFG seems to have gotten rid of any clan-related story prizes, the thing has lost much of its significance.

I dunno, the keeper of the void card I will be getting seems pretty sweet. :)

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    I'm only getting to play two games a week outside tournaments so I've basically shelved all my secondary decks to focus on getting to an acceptable level with my tournament Phoenix deck.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    So I'm hearing word that Scorpion took the PAX South Kotei. Versus Phoenix (scorp splash) in the finals.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »
    So I'm hearing word that Scorpion took the PAX South Kotei. Versus Phoenix (scorp splash) in the finals.

Yup. He's one of the leaders of the Unicorn facebook group (and not a fan of the current Unicorn card pool). His Facebook name is Fro Ttop.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    PMAvers wrote: »

(and not a fan of the current Unicorn card pool).

so a Unicorn player

liEt3nH.png
    *sadface*

*whimper*

• tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    Unsurprising, Scorpion is very strong right now. The Phoenix/Scorp deck does surprise me a bit, but I suppose AFWTD, Forged Edict, and Calling In Favors are all really good cards to splash.

Nobody expects the Phoenix Inquisition.

persona4celestia.jpg
    What do ya'll think of Policy Debate? I've seen quite but of histerics about it online and it's getting played a lot according to the metrics but in my personal experience so far playing aggro Phoenix I have never lost a game to Policy Debate. I basically just power through it, even when it gets one of my straighten cards or Charge.

In general, it feels like getting superiority on the board is more important than conflict card advantage. And Policy Debate isn't even card advantage.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
    It's a very good card that can be very strong against decks that rely on seeing specific cards from their conflict deck. It's an effect that you nearly always will win when you want to win it. Its actual effect will vary depending on the game, but anything that even lets you look at your opponent's hand is a good card. So much of this game is based on calculations and guesses of what your opponent can do, or is willing to commit. Are they not defending because they know they'll lose, or are they just storing cards? Is it worth it to put another fine katana on my guy to break the province, when they might just be able to do the same? Policy Debate helps you make those calculations and bluffs easier. But you're right, if your board presence is very strong, Policy Debate will probably do little.

• Mikey CTSMikey CTS Registered User regular
    This has been bugging me for a while... Mechanically, I like the idea of how dueling works now. Risk/reward is almost always a good model. Thematically, it completely breaks the immersiveness of the game. So, because my hireling won the duel I lose honor and you gain it? It just doesn't gel at all.

// PSN: wyrd_warrior // MHW Name: Josei //
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Mikey CTS wrote: »
    This has been bugging me for a while... Mechanically, I like the idea of how dueling works now. Risk/reward is almost always a good model. Thematically, it completely breaks the immersiveness of the game. So, because my hireling won the duel I lose honor and you gain it? It just doesn't gel at all.

Well... for one it's not "you" and "your hiring" it's "the clan" and "a member of the clan."

For another it's not whether they won or lost, it's how they behaved in the duel.

edited January 2018
    admanb wrote: »

Well... for one it's not "you" and "your hiring" it's "the clan" and "a member of the clan."

For another it's not whether they won or lost, it's how they behaved in the duel.

It works a lot better for cards like policy debate, that represents a back-and-forth retort so insults, innuendo, or veiled blackmail make the representation work. But for a iaijutsu duel, which is just two people staring each other down until steel is drawn as quick as possible, not so much.

Mikey CTS on
    I mean, for a person of lesser skill to have won against an obvious master, clearly they must have cheated in some way. Even if they get the benefits of winning the duel, they lose face. Comparatively, if one who was already quite skilled won by more than was expected, then that could be seen as unseemly pride or unwarranted humiliation, and thus the honor of their clan decreases. Remember - honor in Rokugan is about the impression of your action on other people, not necessarily what you actually did!

Still seems like reaching for an excuse to use the dial to me.

Anyway, when does the next pack come out? Have we heard anything about that?

Honor bids as a dueling mechanic was definitely kind of jury-rigged into the game design more than it was a building block. The Old5R dueling mechanic was... untenable.

Well yeah, it never worked well to begin with. Every new edition they almost completely rewrote them.

Honestly, as much as I loved it, in retrospect Old5R was not a well-designed game.

Honestly, as much as I loved it, in retrospect Old5R was not a well-designed game.

Really depends what period you're talking about.

cckerberos.png
    edited January 2018
    I played from Jade to Lotus. It was an era of "oh, we made a broken thing? well, let's put out a silver bullet" decision-making. You either played the broken thing, or you played the silver bullet that was a dead card against anything else. But let's not forget some of the issues with just the core mechanics - like steamrolling, game currency tied to cards, masterbatory strategies, all or nothing battles, cripplingly slow pacing, etc.

Mikey CTS on
  • EriktheVikingGamerEriktheVikingGamer Registered User regular
    Does Mantis still... Mantis? It's been so long since I've played L5R. Last time I played I had a Magistrate Honor based Mantis deck that won by dishonoring enemies to either achieve victory on the battlefield or by just straight up dishonoring them.

Steam - DailyFatigueBar
    FFXIV - Milliardo Beoulve/Sargatanas
    edited January 2018
    Mantis doesn't exist - yet. They've been in some of the story inserts - specifically, Yoritomo talking to Taka and giving him a bunch of gold and jade in return for the Crab supporting the Mantis in their bid for Major Clan status - but there are no Mantis cards yet. Wouldn't be surprised to see some Mantis conflict cards and characters in the next set, though.

ETA: That said, it sounds like you'd probably enjoy the current Scorpion playstyle, which is also very much about dishonoring their opponents and winning through either dishonor or if necessary province break.

tzeentchling on
    edited January 2018
    While there isn't a release date set for it yet, looks like stores are getting info on a release event for Disciples of the Void.

EDIT: Although apparently GTM mentions Disciples coming out March 28'th?

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    Played my first game on Jigoku, to train a new Scorpion player and let him get a feel for the rules.

Not bad! I got kinda lucky early on, and my Unicorn deck can be scary if it fires right. But I was really missing having a "back" button because there was a TON of lag and being able to rewind an action in the automation would have been nice.

New fiction up: The Specters of War.

Word from OP that the RRG is going to be updated next week as well.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    So, probably going to get to play this for the first time this weekend, if not sooner.

Traditionally I am a Scorpion fan and my friend is a Lion fan. Two coresets ended up in his possession so that is what we will be working with.

Pointers on making some playable decks based around that? Also, I'm just going to use the top rated videos on BGG as a start, but, if there are any tutorial videos ya'll recommend that would be greatly appreciated.

persona4celestia.jpg
    edited February 2018
    That Test of Skill ruling is silly.

HamHamJ on

I was wondering when novels would start showing up.

Also note that the other alt-art it comes with, the sword, isn't legal until the dynasty pack it would normally come in releases.

persona4celestia.jpg
    Selling alt-arts with their books is very clever and deeply cruel.

• TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    At least it is just alt art, the Arkham Horror books come with brand new cards (which, being co-op, isn't a big deal). The alt arts look great and I'd probably get the book anyway, so I'm on board.

Tomanta wrote: »
    At least it is just alt art, the Arkham Horror books come with brand new cards (which, being co-op, isn't a big deal). The alt arts look great and I'd probably get the book anyway, so I'm on board.

Eh, it's a co-op game, so everyone's on the same playing field with AH. Plus it's cool to preview an investigator like that!

Tomanta wrote: »

That's why I said "cruel" and not, like, "evil." :P

• ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    I dunno. It doesn't come with a playset of them, so it's definitely still kind of evil.

Well, it's good to see that Spooky managed to get something published.

For those who aren't aware, he was fairly far along in a novel for the CCG when the FFG sale happened. Needless to say, that project appears to have gotten scrapped.

cckerberos.png
    I dunno. It doesn't come with a playset of them, so it's definitely still kind of evil.

Apparently it does!

Honestly did not see that coming.

Holy shit!

• ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    New article up talking about Disciples of the Void.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/3/6/first-flames/

persona4celestia.jpg