As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Mac Thread: Yes you can turn off the 3d glass effect! W/Y/H

• ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Gihgehls wrote: »
    So I'm a network administrator/only-person-who-knows-anything-about-video-encoding at a small web-design/hosting/site managment house. We have roughly one Mac here in the office for every 10 Windows boxes. Most of my work is in windows. The software I use most often is VirtualDub (with avisynth) and Remote Administrator, followed by Outlook and Excell. Recently I have been given the option of using a really badass quad xeon, 4 gig monster mac pro as my main machine at work, and I know it has a Parallels license on it, so I'm wondering if you guys think I will be able to continue to support all my PC users and do my encoding work from inside osx, or if I should just boot camp that mother out.
    Parallels (or VMWare) will be fine if you just need it for Remote Admin.

ben0207 on
  • GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Remote Admin and some free windows video editing software. How well does stuff like hardware accelerated video work in virtualization?

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
    edited December 2007
    Are you sure the same (or equal) software doesn't exist in OS X? (what's the name of it?)

ben0207 on
  • GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Avisynth is the processing core, and virtualdub (or Virtualdubmod) is the editor.

I could actually skip these tools if you know of a good way to import a bunch of DVD .vob files as a single video, create in/out points for each scene in the movie, then export each set of in/out points as a seperate .avi file. I have no idea how to do this on a mac, but I currently do this on Windows without creating any intermediatary files, except for an index of the mpeg.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
    edited December 2007
    http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1251292&tstart=0

How to get the old-style really very useful Front Row back, rather than the useless pile of shite we got with Leopard.

Actually I don't think words can quite express my hatred of Front Row 2. But now I have 1.3, and it is good.

ben0207 on
  • RonenRonen Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    ben0207 wrote: »

How to get the old-style really very useful Front Row back, rather than the useless pile of shite we got with Leopard.

Actually I don't think words can quite express my hatred of Front Row 2. But now I have 1.3, and it is good.

I'm genuinely interested in why you would hate the new Front Row. Personally, I love it. It's faster than the old one when reading from remote sources, and it can read VIDEO_TS folders without a plugin. Plus, I like the more Apple TV look.

Why don't you like it?

Ronen on
    Go play MOTHER3

or Brawl. 4854.6102.3895 Name: NU..
  • AzioAzio Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Isn't frontrow just a shiny front-end for QuickTime and iTunes?

Azio on
  • H*RH*R Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Gihgehls wrote: »
    Avisynth is the processing core, and virtualdub (or Virtualdubmod) is the editor.

I could actually skip these tools if you know of a good way to import a bunch of DVD .vob files as a single video, create in/out points for each scene in the movie, then export each set of in/out points as a seperate .avi file. I have no idea how to do this on a mac, but I currently do this on Windows without creating any intermediatary files, except for an index of the mpeg.

I don't know about all that hooey, but if you're going to test it out using virtualization you should use VMware Fusion as it supports multiple cores. That should make your encoding process smoother than Parallels.

H*R on
    Nintendo Network: WarrenMSP
    3DS: 4184-2362-9697
    PSN: Skywarrd
    edited December 2007
    Azio wrote: »
    Isn't frontrow just a shiny front-end for QuickTime and iTunes?

Well, yes. But it's nice that you can operate the entire interface and access all your media with just a tiny remote, especially when you have your Mac hooked up to a HDTV and home theater system.

Ronen on
    Go play MOTHER3

edited December 2007
    Ronen wrote: »

I'm genuinely interested in why you would hate the new Front Row. Personally, I love it. It's faster than the old one when reading from remote sources, and it can read VIDEO_TS folders without a plugin. Plus, I like the more Apple TV look.

Why don't you like it?
    1. When scrolling through long lists it likes to skip back to whatever was first selected. Making selecting an album while one is playing a chore.
    2. The newly animated now playing window animates too frequently and is distracting.
    3. The newly animated now playing window sometimes suffers hideous graphical flaws.
    4. The interface is somewhat faster but a lot less useable
    5. No longer keeps playing iTunes content when you bring it up, and stops its own playback when you close it. So if you start some music in it then decide to check your email you're shit out of luck.
    6. No more fancy spinning icons transition.
    7. Trailers list is boring old text rather than posters.
    8. Font size all round is considerably smaller, making it almost unusable from my bed (and it really kills the mood having to get up to change the album)

Out of curiosity, did you use the old one much? See, I did. Constantly. And the new one doesn't compare. Not only has it generally failed to fix any problems of the old one, but it's a complete step backward in many areas.

edit: Also it doesn't support AirTunes and the Aqua on Black colouring is hideous beyond words.

ben0207 on
    edited December 2007
    Ronen wrote: »

Why don't you like it?
    1. When scrolling through long lists it likes to skip back to whatever was first selected. Making selecting an album while one is playing a chore.
    2. The newly animated now playing window animates too frequently and is distracting.
    3. The newly animated now playing window sometimes suffers hideous graphical flaws.
    4. The interface is somewhat faster but a lot less useable
    5. No longer keeps playing iTunes content when you bring it up, and stops its own playback when you close it. So if you start some music in it then decide to check your email you're shit out of luck.
    6. No more fancy spinning icons transition.
    7. Trailers list is boring old text rather than posters.
    8. Font size all round is considerably smaller, making it almost unusable from my bed (and it really kills the mood having to get up to change the album)

Out of curiosity, did you use the old one much? See, I did. Constantly. And the new one doesn't compare. Not only has it generally failed to fix any problems of the old one, but it's a complete step backward in many areas.

edit: Also it doesn't support AirTunes and the Aqua on Black colouring is hideous beyond words.

I actually used the old one a lot... I have an Intel Mini hooked up to my TV in the living room that's used primarily as a torrent/media box with two external drives hooked up to it and streaming music from my other computers. I haven't run into the AirTunes thing since it's hooked directly into my sound system, but I'll agree losing features is never a good thing.

With regards to playing music: I tend to use the Front Row music interface mostly when I'm up and about doing other stuff (normally cleaning or doing dishes) so I'm not looking at the screen. I've yet to see any graphical glitches with the new animated music playing screen, but I happen to really like how often it updates; it relieves any worry I might have that it will burn in on my LCD TV if I leave it up for a long time. It would be great if there was a way to skip back to the top or bottom of a long list, though... even the fastest scrolling speed isn't fast enough.

I don't watch movie trailers (I'd rather walk in to a movie oblivious, trailers these days tend to give away too much), so I didn't notice that the posters of the old Front Row were gone. That's a bummer, I guess.

I can live without the spinning menu since the new one is more context sensitive (DVD menu doesn't show up unless you have a DVD in the drive, etc).

In truth, the feature I use most often is video watching, as the two external drives are mostly full of DVD backups, which is why I love Front Row 2... it can read VIDEO_TS folders without the need for an external plugin, so the backup of my DVD library I've made using HandBrake is available to me at all times without ever needing to swap a disk. In fact, the first thing I do when I get home with a new DVD is pop it into the Mini and let HandBrake do its magic.

I think I'm more pleased with it because I don't normally do other stuff with it. My mail checking/web browsing/IM chatting all takes place on my Powerbook, which is always around the apartment anyway. If I need to do something else on the Mini, I tend to just remote in from my Powerbook to do it so I don't have to bother someone watching the TV. I'd probably have the same gripes you do with it if I used the Mini as a computer more often and less like a media hub.

Ronen on
    Go play MOTHER3

• mastmanmastman Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Thank you so much. The new front row is such shit.

No airtunes support
    doesn't show album artwork if you haven't set it specifically for a track, instead of old front row that showed album art if it had the same artist and name of a track that had the album artwork set.

mastman on
    ByalIX8.png
    B.net: Kusanku
    edited December 2007
    mastman wrote: »
    Thank you so much. The new front row is such shit.

No airtunes support
    doesn't show album artwork if you haven't set it specifically for a track, instead of old front row that showed album art if it had the same artist and name of a track that had the album artwork set.

My album art works just fine... I don't even set album art anymore on CDs I encode, iTunes just gets it on its own, and everything works in Front Row.

Maybe I just live in a world of fantasticism.

Ronen on
    Go play MOTHER3

• KrisKris Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Quick question for you guys regarding bootcamp, before I go and invest a lot of headache and frustration into this. :P

I'm currently running Tiger with a bootcamp partition. When I created the partition, I formatted it as FAT32 and well, 32GB of space. :P However, I really need more space on my windows partition now. I've heard there's no way to resize it, so I'll just have to kill it and rebootcamp. HOWEVER, reading the earlier pages in this thread seem to suggest that you can no longer install the old beta bootcamp now that leopard is out. Does this mean any newly downloaded beta versions won't work? What if when I wipe my mac I backup my current Bootcamp app to a external HD, then drag it back when I put Tiger on again? Will I still run into problems with it not working, or will everything go peachy?

Thanks for the info! :D:D

Kris on
  • apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2007
    Kris wrote: »
    Quick question for you guys regarding bootcamp, before I go and invest a lot of headache and frustration into this. :P

I'm currently running Tiger with a bootcamp partition. When I created the partition, I formatted it as FAT32 and well, 32GB of space. :P However, I really need more space on my windows partition now. I've heard there's no way to resize it, so I'll just have to kill it and rebootcamp. HOWEVER, reading the earlier pages in this thread seem to suggest that you can no longer install the old beta bootcamp now that leopard is out. Does this mean any newly downloaded beta versions won't work? What if when I wipe my mac I backup my current Bootcamp app to a external HD, then drag it back when I put Tiger on again? Will I still run into problems with it not working, or will everything go peachy?

Boot camp is no longer available to Tiger users. It was a limited time beta.

Fucking around with date settings might work, but I have no idea.

To have boot camp, you are supposed to buy Leopard. It is a feature of Leopard they beta'ed with Tiger.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • ginguskahnginguskahn Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    So I see Sonic is on iTunes, damn that means I have to buy the game AGAIN!!

ginguskahn on
    ginguskahn360.png
  • MisanthropicMisanthropic Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    So are we seeing new Macbooks in January?

Misanthropic on
    edited December 2007
    apotheos wrote: »

To have boot camp, you are supposed to buy Leopard. It is a feature of Leopard they beta'ed with Tiger.
    Blast. Well, thanks for the conclusive answer. :D

Kris on
    edited December 2007

If you believe the rumors, at least a refresh is in order.

ginguskahn on
    ginguskahn360.png
  • MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2007
    ginguskahn wrote: »

I doubt it. The latest Macbook was just released in November. If anything, we'll see new Macbook Pros, and maybe the rumored ultra-slim macbook.

Monoxide on
    edited December 2007
    Monoxide wrote: »
    ginguskahn wrote: »

I doubt it. The latest Macbook was just released in November. If anything, we'll see new Macbook Pros, and maybe the rumored ultra-slim macbook.

Sorry, yeah, I meant the pro.

ginguskahn on
    ginguskahn360.png
    edited December 2007
    Alright. So I've been thinking: I really really need a lot more space for my Windows partition, so I may as well bite the bullet and pick up Leopard. It's got some features I really want anyways (quick look, spaces), and I mean, hey, it could be my christmas present to myself. ;-)

Question for you guys though. I've been rereading some of the more recent pages in this thread, and haven't read anything that would confirm what I've read from user comments elsewhere (such as people saying that Leopard slowed their machine down considerably. Others said that it was buggy and didn't have support for some 3rd party routers/other app incompatabilities). I'm wondering, with the recent 10.5.1 patch, has that fixed a lot of bugs that were apparent early on? Also, I've got a iMac CoreDuo 1.83ghz with 2GB of RAM. I'm assuming I shouldn't notice a bunch of slowdown like some say they've experienced?

Thanks in advance for any wisdom. :D

Kris on
  • Brodo FagginsBrodo Faggins Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I'm running a Powerbook G4 with a gig of ram, and Leopard runs perfectly fine.

Brodo Faggins on
    9PZnq.png
  • corcorigancorcorigan Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I'm running a Powerbook G4 with a gig of ram, and Leopard runs perfectly fine.

With a 1ghz G4 Powerbook I too can say it runs perfectly (with 1GB of ram). As well as 10.3, and so much prettier and more user-friendly.

I just did an upgrade install too, staggered it worked. Especially seeing as I gutted this thing and replaced the motherboard and hard drive (reinstalled 10.3) in the meantime.

corcorigan on
    Ad Astra Per Aspera
  • GigatonGigaton Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Okay, either Mozilla made this unnecessarily difficult or I'm just a dumbass. Maybe it's both...

Anyways I've been trying for quite some time to add Wikipedia to the search bar in Camino. I've found sites with explain how to do it (links at end of post), which I understand, but for some reason I can't get the search list to save any of my additions and it always reverts back to the default google engines. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Links detaling the addons: http://forum.maccast.com/index.php?showtopic=14209
    http://caminobrowser.org/documentation/search/

Gigaton on
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Does anyone else have a problem with their macbook that it randomly misses keystrokes?

My desktop's hard drive died so I've had to do typing on the macbook, and god is it awful.

deadonthestreet on
  • ErfusErfus Registered User new member
    edited December 2007
    I believe you need to install this update to fix that problem.

http://www.apple.com/support/downloads/macbookmacbookprosoftwareupdate11.html

Mine should come in very soon, I'm excited for my black Macbook.

Erfus on
  • bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I'm using my Mac on a network that pretty much only has PCs on it and since installing Leopard I've started having trouble finding some of the PCs on the network. It doesn't seem to always show all the other computers on the network. Is there a way to search for or direct connect a PC by name or do I just have to keep waiting for my Mac to see the PC I need to connect to?

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Epyon9283Epyon9283 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I'm using my Mac on a network that pretty much only has PCs on it and since installing Leopard I've started having trouble finding some of the PCs on the network. It doesn't seem to always show all the other computers on the network. Is there a way to search for or direct connect a PC by name or do I just have to keep waiting for my Mac to see the PC I need to connect to?

Hit cmd+K in the finder to connect directly to a machine. Use smb://computername/share or cifs://computername/share.

Epyon9283 on
  • HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    What's a good wireless mouse that isn't over $50 like the Mighty Mouse?

I was thinking about getting this.

Looking at the reviews for it on Newegg, it seems like its problems are limited to its use on PCs and that it's a more reliable on Macs. It's also shy of $30, so that's a plus.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    What's the easiest way to make a locked and/or hidden folder whose contents don't show up in Spotlight and such? I need to stop leaving my pronz out in the open.

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2007
    apotheos wrote: »

You're very wrong. The latest Tiger OS patch removed boot camp support. 10.4.11 is the culprit. Don't get 10.4.11 and you'll be fine.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
    edited December 2007
    Oh, just learned how to hide folders.. that helps.

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • H*RH*R Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Care to share?

H*R on
    Nintendo Network: WarrenMSP
    3DS: 4184-2362-9697
    PSN: Skywarrd
  • bashbash Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Put a period "." in front of them. Blamo, invisdible. They won't however show up in Finder so in order to navigate to them you would need to do Shift+Cmd+G and type in the path by hand. IIRC Spotlight will ignore hidden folders when it is indexing.

bash on
    comi-sig1.jpg
    edited December 2007
    bash wrote: »
    Put a period "." in front of them. Blamo, invisdible. They won't however show up in Finder so in order to navigate to them you would need to do Shift+Cmd+G and type in the path by hand. IIRC Spotlight will ignore hidden folders when it is indexing.

Exactly. So if you're ever on my computer and need to find my porn, you just go to the Go to Folder thing, and type ~/.stuff
    tada!
    Note: make sure after you're done, you go back to the go to folder thing and enter in ~ because it saves the last thing you entered.

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    So i played with the ipod touch today and man I love that web surfing!

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • DratatooDratatoo Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    What's the easiest way to make a locked and/or hidden folder whose contents don't show up in Spotlight and such? I need to stop leaving my pronz out in the open.

Unencrypted hidden folders are not a good idea for this stuff. Better idea: Create an encrypted sparseimage with read and writing ability which automatically grows if you put files inside. A sparseimage is similar to a dmg and can be password protected. The advantage is, its only visible for spotlight and the finder if you mount it (and it will prompt for a PW). This way, you won't loose the ability of spotlight if you search for a particular file among hundreds. For additional security you can also hide this file.

A sparseimage can be created with the disk utility.

edit: The image file operates as fast as a regular folder.

Dratatoo on
  • Mr HeistMr Heist It's Heist-o-Matic! Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

Got caught, eh? :P

Mr Heist on
    mrheist-wide.png
    edited December 2007
    Mr Heist wrote: »

Got caught, eh? :P
    Nah, it's my laptop and I rarely let others use it, it's just that I'd like to not have to be so careful about not going to certain folders/typing things into spotlight/quicksilver when others are around. It's not that I got caught, but that I could quite easily be caught when everything was just right there in the open because I didn't care, haha, but all is well now!

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
This discussion has been closed.