As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Board games] I choose poorly.

• Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Auralynx wrote: »
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Played Hexplore it for the first time last friday.
    We played with 2 and didn't finish our game in the time we had.
    Overall impression:
    Most likely better with more.
    You start out very underpowered and really need to thread carefully.
    High production value.
    Maybe to random and a bit grindy after an hour.
    Rulebook doesn't explain everything.

Hopefully I can get it to the table again with a bigger group.

Totally agree except I didn't have any issues with the rulebook, I thought it was easily one of the better ones I've gotten lately.

But then I think that about that Martian rulebook that everyone is freaking out about as well.

In my opinion the whole thing about summons wasn't explained (very well). It/I might be an edge case, but I chose the beastmaster as my first role.
    And I couldn't figure out which action I could get my summoned beast to take. After asking in the BGG forum the designer replied almost immediately. And I could chose any of the actions the creature normally takes on the creature circumstance card.

English isn't our native language so that might have something to do with it.

Oh hell yes, if English isn't your first then yeah this will be a challenge and a half. It's a good ruleset but I can't say it was organized all that well.
    I am disappointed bit vaguely relieved to hear that Hexplore It came out more or less how I thought it would. Will keep an eye out for people unloading copies so I can get a look I guess.

If you like D&D you'll probably like it a lot. I think D&D is literally poop from a butt so it's going to have to do a lot to make me like it. I'll give it one more 4+ player session before I decide if I wanna trash it.

Yeah, my concern was implementation quality - the subject matter seemed right up my alley. If I want a somewhat half-assed conversion of D&D I already own Descent.

Descent never felt like D&D to me but Hexplore absolutely does. There's a LOT of abilities to try to make all work together and there's really no positioning of mens at all. Did you watch that 3 person playthrough the creator did? It's a really good example of how the game feels.

Magic Pink on
  • AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Overall impression:
    High production value.

Totally agree except I didn't have any issues with the rulebook, I thought it was easily one of the better ones I've gotten lately.

But then I think that about that Martian rulebook that everyone is freaking out about as well.

In my opinion the whole thing about summons wasn't explained (very well). It/I might be an edge case, but I chose the beastmaster as my first role.
    And I couldn't figure out which action I could get my summoned beast to take. After asking in the BGG forum the designer replied almost immediately. And I could chose any of the actions the creature normally takes on the creature circumstance card.

Oh hell yes, if English isn't your first then yeah this will be a challenge and a half. It's a good ruleset but I can't say it was organized all that well.
    I am disappointed bit vaguely relieved to hear that Hexplore It came out more or less how I thought it would. Will keep an eye out for people unloading copies so I can get a look I guess.

If you like D&D you'll probably like it a lot. I think D&D is literally poop from a butt so it's going to have to do a lot to make me like it. I'll give it one more 4+ player session before I decide if I wanna trash it.

Yeah, my concern was implementation quality - the subject matter seemed right up my alley. If I want a somewhat half-assed conversion of D&D I already own Descent.

Descent never felt like D&D to me but Hexplore absolutely does. There's a LOT of abilities to try to make all work together and there's really no positioning of mens at all. Did you watch that 3 person playthrough the creator did? It's a really good example of how the game feels.

Descent feels like a distillation of a part of D&D I definitely like - beating people up with cool powers. It's definitely not the full experience, though, and the suggestion that Hexplore It! might get closer got my attention.

I believe I started on the video while the campaign was live and got a "this isn't quite all here, really," vibe. That was why I ended up not backing it, but I've been a little concerned I was unfair ever since, hence asking for reports!

kshu0oba7xnr.png

Overall impression:
    High production value.

Descent feels like a distillation of a part of D&D I definitely like - beating people up with cool powers. It's definitely not the full experience, though, and the suggestion that Hexplore It! might get closer got my attention.

I believe I started on the video while the campaign was live and got a "this isn't quite all here, really," vibe. That was why I ended up not backing it, but I've been a little concerned I was unfair ever since, hence asking for reports!

Yeah if you got that vibe then I would skip it.

• DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
    Overall impression:
    High production value.

Yeah if you got that vibe then I would skip it.

The KS for the standalone sequel goes live on march 26th.
    For me it also has the D&D vibe. I did try it with a d&d buddy of mine from our ongoing campaign. And he definitely wanted to try it again.

steam_sig.png
  • BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Has anyone here played Peak Oil? What are your opinions on it? I see an expansion is up on Kickstarter with the option to pick up the base game along with it.

BlazeFire on
  • Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    Played scythe for the first time a couple weeks ago. Played and won with the Crimean Khanate with 4 other players.

That game has a lot going on. The owner of the game told us "its really not that complicated", and then informed us of the rules in what must have been a 30-45 minute period. Luckily it was pretty straight forward when we started playing so he wasn't completely wrong.

Overall it was fun, although it definitely felt like some strategies were better than others. Also the Crimean Khanate's ability to steal cards is very strong but also doesn't feel particularly thematic or cool? In some instances I was just throwing away victories to get cards and progress the game clock. It felt like I was abusing the system or something, which I guess is okay sometimes.
    I had a factory card that gave me 2 reputation on the top, and a move on the bottom, so I was just spending my turns making sure I had a good multiplier when the game ended somewhat pre-maturely because I kept attacking people.

Hard to judge too much after one game. Would definitely play again.

• MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    The Crimeans are definitely the best faction in the game (followed by the not-Soviets) and could use some toning down.

MrBody on
  • LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Having our final Charterstone session tomorrow night (games #11 and #12), and man, I am over it. Failing some eleventh hour game-changer, we're playing the complete thing, and it is unimpressive. It leans too heavily on the legacy thrill of pasting stickers and opening boxes, and when that's done, the game that's left over is light and unsatisfying, yet still manages to have some wobbliness in the rules. One legacy thing in particular boned me especially hard, which I admit I'm pretty sour about, but it's overall been an experience I wouldn't recommend even if I wasn't hamstrung in that particular manner.

QPPHj1J.jpg
  • DarricDarric Santa MonicaRegistered User regular
    Our group hasn't played since game 7 for ... personal reasons, and you know what? I don't miss it. I was really enjoying it in the early going, too.

• Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    Man this Auztralia game from Martin Wallace on kickstarter is a weird one. A train game but also there's great old ones that you have to fight, but also maybe it's about British colonialism in Australia and the old ones are stand ins for aboriginies? It looks probably fun, but it's mainly just very odd top to bottom. No Kickstarter exclusives or anything so I'll most likely just wait and see if it's actually any good once it's out...

• FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    but also maybe it's about British colonialism in Australia and the old ones are stand ins for aboriginies?

Knowing STUDY IN EMERALD and Martin Wallace in general, this is highly unlikely.

• InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Ooooh I tend to quite like Wallace games

Fairchild wrote: »
    but also maybe it's about British colonialism in Australia and the old ones are stand ins for aboriginies?

Knowing STUDY IN EMERALD and Martin Wallace in general, this is highly unlikely.

Doesn't a study in emerald have you playing as 19th century anarchists, but all of your terrorist activities are morally okay because the monarchies you are fighting against are literal space monsters? That one was based on a short story, this one isn't... I would personally guess that the choices Wallace made here are intentional as far as the setting. Especially given Lovecrafts often brushed aside extreme racism and xenophobia. Something to think about anyway.

It's too bad Martin Wallace has been a huge asshole on ever KS project I've done of his. I'll never support him again.

Ah_Pook wrote: »

Doesn't a study in emerald have you playing as 19th century anarchists, but all of your terrorist activities are morally okay because the monarchies you are fighting against are literal space monsters? That one was based on a short story, this one isn't... I would personally guess that the choices Wallace made here are intentional as far as the setting. Especially given Lovecrafts often brushed aside extreme racism and xenophobia. Something to think about anyway.

A Study in Emerald makes no comment one way or the other on the morality of your actions.

Pink: i’ve only kickstarted a study in emerald and the experience went very smooth for me, even contacting Wallace directly when pieces were missing in my version and getting them shipped to Japan to fix it. What bad experiences have you had?

edited March 2018
    Inquisitor wrote: »

A Study in Emerald makes no comment one way or the other on the morality of your actions.

Pink: i’ve only kickstarted a study in emerald and the experience went very smooth for me, even contacting Wallace directly when pieces were missing in my version and getting them shipped to Japan to fix it. What bad experiences have you had?

I forget which one it was on, probably the mad scientist one, but the game was crazy late and they had forgotten to make some of the stretch goals and decided to just not do them. The goals were pretty uselss anyway so no loss at all but when people complained about the lateness and not getting what they had initially paid for, he started getting really belligerent and insulting and then ended all communications by telling everyone to shut up because we were making his wife cry. Oh plus how he poo-pooed anyone concerned over the misprints in Study and refused to replace them (even tho I believe he eventually did but you had to back his next game or something).

It was completely bizarre but not something I'd encourage others to not get his games over, I guess.

Magic Pink on
  • FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular

Indeed. I also give Wallace credit for being one of the few designers to create a game-- STRUGGLE FOR EMPIRE-- that shows the importance of importing African slaves to the European economic development and colonization of the New World without using some euphemism for Slavery or ignoring it altogether.

OH MY GOD

ieg7h0lxu865.jpg

OK HERE'S MY ATM PIN

• DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Wait, so... Space Hulk but with zombies?

• DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Like, those are basically suits of Terminator armor.

Delduwath wrote: »

The genestealers succumbed to a zombie plague...

steam_sig.png
    Exactly. Except, obviously, faster with not as much movement restrictions.

And they aren't zombies, they're mold-infested aliens. I guess originally they were going to call it Xenocide instead.

• mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »

The genestealers succumbed to a zombie plague...

Genestealer Queen: See, I told you those humans had gone bad. But noooooo, "they're fine! I don't want to waste food!"
    Zombified Genestealer Queen: raaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaauuuuuuuuuurrrrrrggghhhhhhh

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!

And they aren't zombies, they're mold-infested aliens. I guess originally they were going to call it Xenocide instead.

If this isn't based on the original zombicide ruleset I might back it.

steam_sig.png

If this isn't based on the original zombicide ruleset I might back it.

There's no way it won't be. Happily, because I loves me some Zombicide.

I mean there'll be some tweaks but no more so than Black Plague or Green Horde.

Also, Adrian Smith monster design are super creepy. He makes some dang nasty moobs.

Do you think a game where you played as radical anarchist terrorists in the late 19th century and which had you reenacting real historical bombings and assassinations would have gone down better or worse than a study in emerald?

Do you think a game which was exactly the same as Auztralia but the great old ones were called Aboriginal tribes would go down better or worse? How about it if was themed around fantastical US Western expansion with inhuman monsters in the place of native American tribes?

Also space hulk coop edition actually has me interested in a Zombicide game. Have to look at it more once there are details natch but I could be down for a dice chucking coop alien murder fest.

Do you think a game where you played as radical anarchist terrorists in the late 19th century and which had you reenacting real historical bombings and assassinations would have gone down better or worse than a study in emerald?

Do you think a game which was exactly the same as Auztralia but the great old ones were called Aboriginal tribes would go down better or worse? How about it if was themed around fantastical US Western expansion with inhuman monsters in the place of native American tribes?

I think they’d be thought of as historical wargames and be largely ignored by most.

Also space hulk coop edition actually has me interested in a Zombicide game. Have to look at it more once there are details natch but I could be down for a dice chucking coop alien murder fest.

Have you tried any of the Galaxy Defenders games?

Na, they looked neat but also fiddly and more complicated than what I would want. My wife and I quite like the D&D adventure coop games, and once you get much beyond that in terms of rules we stop caring pretty quickly for this kind of thing. We want to roll dice and kill shit with a minimum of overhead.

• ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    Got a learning run in for Stuffed Fables and can't wait to play it for real with my daughter. Absolutely in love with the adventure book (each map is a sturdy board in a spiral-bound book) and hope to see it used in other games. Really opens up the potential for variety.

• HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    OH MY GOD

ieg7h0lxu865.jpg

OK HERE'S MY ATM PIN

As much as I whore my wallet to CMON, I can't get excited about this. Space themes don't get my jimmies russeled like piles of sharpened steel does.

kx3klFE.png
    Na, they looked neat but also fiddly and more complicated than what I would want. My wife and I quite like the D&D adventure coop games, and once you get much beyond that in terms of rules we stop caring pretty quickly for this kind of thing. We want to roll dice and kill shit with a minimum of overhead.

Fiddly and complicated is Galaxy Defenders in a nutshell, it's true. Lots of strategy but woof.

City of Kings is here!

I just realized I backed it and never looked at the project again I wonder what the hell I bought.

• MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    Holy shit! Black Orchestra finally arrived in the mail today! I had actually forgotten I even pre-ordered that.

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Got Ethnos out again last night. Area control fantasy rummy continues to be a good time. Pretty simple to teach to a bunch of first timers and yet a good fairly strategic card collecting time.

MhCw7nZ.gif
    Man I looked at this game Quest For The Antidote last night and I can't really believe that it's a newly published game from a hobby publisher in 2017. It's like they looked at Talisman and said "This is good but there's too many decisions and not enough take that". Like... Who is this for?

City of Kings is here!

I just realized I backed it and never looked at the project again I wonder what the hell I bought.

Huh. i watched a playthrough of this and it's really promising but I can't imagine ever playing it twice.

I chose poorly?

• CesareBCesareB Registered User regular
    City of Kings is here!

Huh. i watched a playthrough of this and it's really promising but I can't imagine ever playing it twice.

I chose poorly?

I mean at the rate you buy games how many of them can you possibly have played twice?

This discussion has been closed.