As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[EVE] Guide to basic Skills, Ship fitting, and general newbiness.

• electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    It's cycle time. The weapons have a cooldown, so once you turn them off you need to wait till they stop flashing red before they can be reactivated.

electricitylikesme on
  • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    After the guy blows up, the icons arent there, but the weapons have been deactivated. Look at your missile launchers and check their ROF. The ROF indicates how long it takes to cycle the weapon.

So if you shoot a rat with a missile launcher with a 10 second rof, the missile travels 1 second then kills him, you have to wait 9 seconds till you can shoot at the next guy.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • argofotoargofoto Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    cool, i got a rough idea now to start, good to know i dont start set in stone. i'm going to start soon as a gallenti intaki newborn, find out what skills to train then play. i already know im going to go beyond the trial so im thinking of putting in learning, i cant play for long periods of time usu so having this trained high in the background isnt bad, and a battleship destroyer as a secondary sounds cool. see you guys in game eventually.

argofoto on
  • intelnaviintelnavi Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    My brother and I will will probably be joining Merchi after the holidays. Quick question tho. Will our noob cruisers and mining team be able to survive in the belts around merch space? ie, will we be able to mine by ourselves if need be and can my caracal take rats in some of the asteroids? 10-20 mil enough to get started?

intelnavi on
    edited December 2007
    You might have issues tanking some of the rats that come up, but probably not, 10-20m is plenty

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • SvKSvK Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I just spent the last half of my armor and all my structure trying to navigate menus to warp out of a fight that was going badly. Is there a quick way to warp out of harm's way without having to click precisely on several small lines of text?

SvK on
    edited December 2007
    click on something in your overview. Spam the warp button on the button menu

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Track NineTrack Nine Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Crap.. Just lost my Vexor.

Lvl 2 mission "recon: part 1" and a whole lot of trouble landed on top of me and smashed though my tank before I could warp out.

Insurance was the top level.. so barely covers the cost of the Vex, let alone the fittings. So financially that's a huge step back. Worse, I can't go back and salvage my own wreckage because there's about 10 cruisers floating next to it.

Why is it that this game sounds awesome, looks awesome and by all rights should be awesome, but just feels like one long succession of financial grind and endless gate jumps.

Edit: No, wait.. it turns out that at current market rates, the top level insurance doesn't even cover the cost of replacing the Vexor itself. Super.

Track Nine on
  • CouchmonkeyCouchmonkey Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Rule number 1: Do not fly ships you cannot afford to replace. Just because you CAN fly it, doesn't mean you should.

But be honest, losing the ship was the most thrilling experience of any MMO you have played yeah?

Couchmonkey on
  • SvKSvK Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Goumindong wrote: »
    click on something in your overview. Spam the warp button on the button menu
    It sounds really obvious now that I've heard it. I was insured and got most of my stuff out of my own wreck, so it wasn't too much of a loss.

SvK on
  • Track NineTrack Nine Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Rule number 1: Do not fly ships you cannot afford to replace. Just because you CAN fly it, doesn't mean you should.

But be honest, losing the ship was the most thrilling experience of any MMO you have played yeah?

Yeah, that last post was pretty much a kneejerk reaction to losing the ship. TBH, I can afford to replace it, but all in I'll be down about 4-5 million after refitting a new rig, which is really going to set me back saving for a BC. I've been trying to find my feet in the game again, and trying to find a playstyle and build some degree of competence before looking to join a corp, so I'm stuck in a slow mission grind trying to earn monies.

And, TBH, losing that ship was more sickening than thrilling. When I lost my first Tristan, that was quite thrilling, but seeing a tank Vexor getting pummelled as it tries feebly to turn towards warp is just painfully frustrating.

Track Nine on
  • MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    How useful are battlecruisers at ratting in 0.0? Hurricane in particular.

I just can't seem to break the tank on the 800k+ BS spawns. Might need to train up more...

Mortious on
    Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • eatblueshelleatblueshell Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Mortious wrote: »
    How useful are battlecruisers at ratting in 0.0? Hurricane in particular.

I just can't seem to break the tank on the 800k+ BS spawns. Might need to train up more...

What are you Ratting? Sanshas are the easiest to Kill and Tank, so find where you can rat Sansha and shoot them.

Secondly, If you have low skill-points, no ship will break its tank. I can wipe Sansha Belts clear with an Assault frig, it just takes forever, but lots of Skills in Gunnery and Small ships can really be nasty.

If you are having trouble breaking the tank of a rat, try and see what is unnecessary in your low slots, and replace it with a Damage Mod, like a Heatsynch for Amarr, or a GyroStablizer or Minnie, or Balistic control unit if you are a missile spam boat.

Make sure you are using the right ammo for the Job.

To recap: Skills to pay the bills, Rat Sansha, Use Damage Mods where possible, Choose the right ammo.

eatblueshell on
  • MortiousMortious The Nightmare Begins Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I'm ratting angels in Epros, or if I feel adventurous AZN/VNG. I'm still not familiar with the area to wander father than that :P

Still a low SP character, will get there eventually.

Mortious on
    Move to New Zealand
    It’s not a very important country most of the time
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/mortious
  • eatblueshelleatblueshell Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I'm ratting angels in Epros, or if I feel adventurous AZN/VNG. I'm still not familiar with the area to wander father than that :P

There should be some Sansha's not too far from e-pr0s.

Poke around in the Merch Forums, I could swear there was some good info on ratting there.

eatblueshell on
  • MelMel Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Get thee to a Phoon asap; there's no good reason to waste your time trying to rat in a Battlecruiser. You could (and should, eventually) keep training up your Gunnery skills to the point where you can rat effectively in a Cane, but in the mean time you could also be flying a Battleship and making real money while you slog through the Gunnery grind.

The jump in dps (and ratting speed) when going from a BC to a BS is like night and day. Make a quick deviation from your current skill plan and start training to fit a bare bones Typhoon (Torps, Heavy Drones, MWDs, and basic armor tanking skills) while ratting as best you can in your Cane to save up. It shouldn't take more than a day or two to get your skills and wallet ready, and once you've made the switch it'll feel like someone finally opened the flood gates.

Then get back on your Gunnery track for a PvP Hurricane or whatever you were shooting for, and in a few weeks/months once you've trained for T2 guns and such you can start thinking about trying to rat in a Cane again, assuming you're still even remotely interested.

Mel on
    71854.jpg
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    So WoW just isn't what I remembered and I'm looking through the various MMOs right now and realized this is still here on my hard drive. I'll probably start up another account to see if it's for me but I was curious what options there are for support roles short and long term.

Quid on
  • Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Short term support = Tackler
    Long term support = Logistics

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Long term: DPS sniper
    Short term: Grifting pubbies. <-- more profitable option for those without souls.

electricitylikesme on
    edited December 2007
    I guess I should be more specific. I mean in the areas of healing, buffing/debuffing, crowd control etc. I'm never concerned about doing damage so much as making sure everyone else is better able to.

Logistics sounds nifty.

Quid on
    edited December 2007
    Support is really hard to get into because all forms of combat support are very high skillpoint.

You can give gang bonuses[needs lots of skillpoints, something like 5 million just for the skills, let alone the ships. And i mean 5 million in specific skills, not "5 million skillpoints"].

There are combat logistics cruisers, but those require just as much skillpoints and are very difficult.

Tech 1 logistics isnt really usefull inside a gang but behind it, and you can do some good work there, but it wont be exciting.

The main form of keeping people alive is via electronic warfare.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • wirespeedwirespeed Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I just finished reading this entire thread. All the information has been super helpful, so thanks to everyone.

The main n00b question I have that I didn't see clarified anywhere:

I noticed several people said you could 'align' your ship prior to jumping, so that you could jump away at any moment during dangerous encounters. How is this done? Do I simply set a destination to a waypoint, engage the autopilot, allow the ship to turn, then cancel the autopilot? A little clarification would be greatly appreciated.

One thing I'd add. I played Eve approximately a year ago, and I was so concerned with getting my learning skills up, that I didn't really train anything 'fun'. That pretty much burnt me out on the game. I come back to the game with all the basic learning skills at V and the advanced at IV, but I'm coming back as a total n00b since I didn't really play it before. I definitely don't recommend being so focused on your learning skills that you neglect actually playing.

I'm still getting comfortable with the game, but I'd be interested in joining Merch 1 sometime in the future. Thanks again for all the great information. My ingame name is Leoan.

wirespeed on
    edited December 2007
    Your post makes me sad Goum.

Very very sad.

Quid on
  • EtheaEthea Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    wirespeed wrote: »
    I just finished reading this entire thread. All the information has been super helpful, so thanks to everyone.

I noticed several people said you could 'align' your ship prior to jumping, so that you could jump away at any moment during dangerous encounters. How is this done? Do I simply set a destination to a waypoint, engage the autopilot, allow the ship to turn, then cancel the autopilot? A little clarification would be greatly appreciated.

The roughly is the idea. You want to align towards a safespot, rather then a gate though. So in large ships, just try to warp to your safespot, then before you warp cancel the warp (ctrl+space). Sometimes you will have to mantain some speed to keep inline with your safe. This happens when the safespot is not on the same Z level as your ship. For that I recommend moving towards the space at like 1m/s.

Ethea on
  • trevelliantrevellian Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Ethea wrote: »
    wirespeed wrote: »

The roughly is the idea. You want to align towards a safespot, rather then a gate though. So in large ships, just try to warp to your safespot, then before you warp cancel the warp (ctrl+space). Sometimes you will have to mantain some speed to keep inline with your safe. This happens when the safespot is not on the same Z level as your ship. For that I recommend moving towards the space at like 1m/s.

All I have been doing to align my ship is when I reach my destination for mining I select my safespot or station in the overview then double-click right next to it, then shut off my engines when my ship has completed turning to point in that direction. I'm a total noob though so may not have understood the precise question.

trevellian on
    McGough_EA.png
  • RoundBoyRoundBoy Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Ok... is there a good trick for taking down drones? There are 2 that are causing me big issues even though I took out all their buddies.

They seem to have high shield values... but even with faction missles specializing in shield takedown (lvl 1 :< ) i can't get them more then 75% down before i need to scoot.

I have the biggest shield booster & extender I can fit.. and it helps just a little bit. I don't even care about killing anymore.. i just want to loot my ship :(

RoundBoy on
    sig_civwar.jpg
    Librarians harbor a terrible secret. Find it.
    edited December 2007
    Quid wrote: »
    Your post makes me sad Goum.

Very very sad.

Combat in Eve is much more like combat "in real life", and i say that in quotes because its a giant fucking spaceship game. But it is in the sense that you shoot things and they die. And you dont space heal guys just like a medic isnt going to run up to a soldier in iraq that just got shot patch him up and keep him in the game.

Fighting is basicially how much damage you do and how many hit points you have. There are exceptions when avoiding fire, but that is pretty much the jist of it. You focus fire and blow the shit out of someone, then find the next guy and blow the shit out of him.

The "space healers" are only really effective at high skill points. But there are other ships which are good at all skillpoints that play the protector role. ECM, Sensor Dampers, and Tracking Disruptors[with ECM far the best version] serve to make it so that your enemies cant effectivly focus fire and blow the shit out of your someones[usually you, because of how strong E-war is]. In that way, you can easily and effecitvly prevent damage coming in to key ships and keep them alive in that sense.

So train up Caldari Cruiser and ECM skills and see how you like it. Everyone will love you, and you will probably die first. But you die first because you are so god damned important to keeping people alive.

Here is a good example from a not so recent battle. The enemy had 5 eagles. Eagles are really good anti-support ships and while they dont do a lot of DPS, they dont have any trouble hitting interceptors, intedictors, and other small ships which tackle battleships. Battleships need to be tackled, because otherwise they will take damage and warp out[or at least they hope so], instead of taking damage and exploding[which is what we want]. Our blackbirds had all 5 of them permanently jammed the entire fight. Not a single one of them locked our tacklers[and not much at all of their support did], and they didnt have ewar. So our anti-support cleared their tacklers which allowed our battleships to warp out when damaged and their anti-support barely touched our tacklers. And so we killed a lot of battleships.

Alternatly you can jam battleships, which is also very good.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
    edited December 2007
    RoundBoy wrote: »
    Ok... is there a good trick for taking down drones? There are 2 that are causing me big issues even though I took out all their buddies.

They seem to have high shield values... but even with faction missles specializing in shield takedown (lvl 1 :< ) i can't get them more then 75% down before i need to scoot.

I have the biggest shield booster & extender I can fit.. and it helps just a little bit. I don't even care about killing anymore.. i just want to loot my ship :(

Dont listen to damage type arguements for missions. NPCs have homogenous resists[or close] accross all of their shield and armor. So just figure out what the best damage type is for the NPC and let loose. ED : Same with enemy damage types, its all the same, so just tank the right damage types and you are golden. Avtive tanks are handy here too.

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Are the destroyers (antifrigate-ships with the 8 turret hardpoints) any good? Sounds good to me.

Mortal Sky on
  • JaninJanin Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Mortal Sky wrote: »
    Are the destroyers (antifrigate-ships with the 8 turret hardpoints) any good? Sounds good to me.

Good for salvaging, not much else. They don't have many hitpoints.

Janin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited December 2007
    Is there still a PA corps active in EVE?

If so, would they be willing to take a new (9 days old) Gallente pilot under their wing?

Training up the learning skills at the moment, so just flying level 1 missions in my rifter and some small scale mining in my navitas and Iteron to pat the bills. Skilling up for more mining and salvaging.

Currently I am in Essence.

Cheers

trevellian on
    McGough_EA.png
  • SpaceDrakeSpaceDrake Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    trevellian wrote: »

If so, would they be willing to take a new (9 days old) Gallente pilot under their wing?

Training up the learning skills at the moment, so just flying level 1 missions in my rifter and some small scale mining in my navitas and Iteron to pat the bills. Skilling up for more mining and salvaging.

Cheers

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=41564

This should explain everything sir.

SpaceDrake on
    pa_sig.jpg
  • encloserencloser Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

As a fellow Minmatar newbie, I used a Cyclone to rat in systems near e-pr0s until I got into a battleship a few days ago. From the logic I can follow, shield tanked and with its shield boost bonus, it handles the damage type that most angels deal (mostly explosive/kinetic) better than a low skillpoint armor tank would. If you want to stick with an Armor Tanked Hurricane you probably want to explore Estoria where Sansha live who deal mostly EM/Thermal which the Armor Tank will be better suited to handle. Estoria isn't far, but Stain Empire gankgangs like to come through Estoria into Faythabolis (e-p's Region) along the same route. We even have permission to rat in a Station System over there if the station would make you feel safer. Just ask in Corp where to go. (A vet please correct me if I am wrong on any of this.)

If you can afford a battleship jumping straight to one is pretty sound advice. The jump from BC to BS is pretty substantial.

encloser on
    EVE: Zane Rayez; CoX: Encloser;
    TF2/ETQW: [e]Encloser;
    encloser.png
    edited December 2007
    SpaceDrake wrote: »
    trevellian wrote: »

Cheers

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=41564

This should explain everything sir.

aha wonderful, just what I was looking for.

I shall read, then follow, the instructions forthwith.

Cheers

trevellian on
    McGough_EA.png
  • SelnerSelner Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    If you want to stick with an Armor Tanked Hurricane you probably want to explore Estoria where Sansha live who deal mostly EM/Thermal which the Armor Tank will be better suited to handle. Estoria isn't far, but Stain Empire gankgangs like to come through Estoria into Faythabolis (e-p's Region) along the same route.

I took my armor-tanking, drone-using Vexor into Estoria over the weekend and blew up a bunch of Sansha frigs, cruisers and BCs. I got blowed up once because I messed up the resistances, but once I got the armor resists into 80+% for EM and Thermal it was fun :) .
    For a first time ratting stuff larger than frigates, it was quite an enjoyable time. Just need to get drone skills up a smidge more so I can break tanks on Loyal Sanshas a bit faster.

I didn't see much in the way of hostiles, except for one neutral-hostile gang that left me alone. They just asked if I was trained for T2, then proceeded to camp AZN for a little while.

So if you're going to do Estoria, you just need to have Local chat open at all times, so you can see when the hostiles come through. Then you need a safe spot to warp to if you think you're going to be attacked. Myself, I need to figure out how to set safe spots :) .

Selner on
  • MuteMute Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    What use are the various dog tags you can collect from the NPC pirates (Guristas Copper Tag), etc? Are they just for use in purchasing LP rewards, or can you turn them in to agents somewhere for faction?

Mute on
  • GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I think you just sell them back to CONCORD.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    :\/

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • dscrilladscrilla Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Well I have been skilling up, got my drone armor and ecm trained up as a gallente drone user build from goonfleet guide. Working on the skills for microwarp and propulsion jamming. I am about ready to head out to a Merc-I office and drop in my applicaiton.

I have a couple questions before heading out:

Should i buy all my skills in fedspace or can I buy them out in lowsec?
    Should I skill up for the tech2 cruisers? what skills would i want for gallente stuff?
    Is there a need to train up another race ships for noob roles like tackling?
    Can i make a Jump clone at the Merc-I office or should i make one in advance to send out?

Thanks in advance!

dscrilla on
  • SelnerSelner Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Should i buy all my skills in fedspace or can I buy them out in lowsec?

It's a good suggestion to buy all the books you can read, then skill them for like 3sec each. Then you can worry about training them later.
    Books are harder to find, and more expensive in 0.0, generally speaking.
    Can i make a Jump clone at the Merc-I office or should i make one in advance to send out?

You have to have high standing with the NPC corp controlling the station to make a Jump Clone there.
    When you get to 0.0, you can make Jump clones at the POSs.

You can move your medical clone to Epros, then pod jump down.

Selner on