As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[SHADOW OF THE COLOSSUS] The Next Foe is ... OUT NOW

2»

• CaptainBlueSkiesCaptainBlueSkies Registered User regular
    God what a fantastic game. I just finished playing the PS2 version ahead of this release.

• KoopahTroopahKoopahTroopah The koopas, the troopas. Philadelphia, PARegistered User regular
    I found myself looking bored at my Steam list yesterday since none of my online friends wanted to play anything, and playing Overwatch solo is like putting your head in a lawnmower. I think I'm going to download this today and play it over the weekend.

• OakeyOakey UKRegistered User regular
    It looks great but boy does the camera and controls still make me want to rip my hair out. Jumping on to that column to get to the third colossus was infuriating. Also, I don't know if it's a glitch or there's some kind of 'snap to' mechanic in play but on the 2nd colossus I'd climb his leg and the moment I went near the ledge Wander would auto jump to it and cling on to the edge and refuse to climb up, it even happened if I tried to go wide to avoid it. Also, Wanders face looks stupid.

• miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular

Was the music purpose written for visuals just like this. Meme-y things flying through various vista's...'cause it's perfect.

that one riff is a lot better than the song (and music video) it belongs to, but yeah, there's a lot of flying through 80s inspired cgi backgrounds

i'm probably not going to be buying this right away, cos i don't have a Pro and also i'm bummed about how busted Wander's face looks, but there is one thing i must know: is it still possible to unlock the Ico marking for Agro?

uc3ufTB.png
  • Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    That song is amazing, you take it back.

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    i'm probably not going to be buying this right away, cos i don't have a Pro and also i'm bummed about how busted Wander's face looks, but there is one thing i must know: is it still possible to unlock the Ico marking for Agro?

I don't have a pro and it runs fine.
    And yes, you can unlock a crest for Agro, which I assume is the same thing.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    I don't think it aged particularly well, but does anyone remember the "Dr. Philthra, the Colossus Whisperer" videos? That was actually my very first exposure to Machinima, even before RVB.

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I love Agro, we've been through some shit together. but goddang do I wish they updated his controls...

"Fucking go that way you shit horse! THAT WAY! Oh my god... fucking GO!"

"I'm sorry I yelled at you buddy" :sad:

Also I was blanking on what I needed to do for the 6th colossus. But then I remembered he's got one thing the others dont
    tumblr_llr4ldyqN91qib9oao1_500.jpg

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • AkimboEGAkimboEG Mr. Fancypants Wears very fine pants indeedRegistered User regular
    I'm not playing the new one, and the old one did indeed have some camera and control issues, but I never felt like Agro was part of the problem. On the contrary, I actually think they did a fantastic job with Agro, and I've been looking for more games that behave the same way ever since. SotC is the only game I can think of where it actually feels like you're controlling a character riding a horse, rather than controlling a horse.

Give me a kiss to build a dream on; And my imagination will thrive upon that kiss; Sweetheart, I ask no more than this; A kiss to build a dream on
  • Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Agro is masterfully designed, it's just his design makes it feel like you're riding a horse, and sometimes you want something more akin to a horse shaped car.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • LutExIVLutExIV Thieves Guild Chairman In the ShadowsRegistered User regular
    Confession: this is the first time I have ever played SotC. Wow this game is great. I can see why it's referred to as a masterpiece. The way that the world reveals itself as you explore encourages you push farther with the "I wonder what's next" feeling. It is clearly a heavy influence on last years Breath of the Wild (which now seems like SotC taken to its logical evolution).

And while there are issues with the camera (and Argo) I found that everything started to click once I stopped fighting the camera and Argo and let it kind of direct what I was seeing.

This game is so good.

26965406221_865f825658.jpg
    Steam/PSN/XBox Live:LutExIV
    I am slightly disappointed they didn't do more to fix the camera/control jank in the game. I get they want to preserve the original, but they had an opportunity to make a great game into a perfect game here. Still love it, though! Finished it yesterday, and I'm sure I'll go back for NG+ or the time trials at some point.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
    Any changes would have gotten them just as much backlash as no changes.
    I think a lot of the control things are intentional, which I think is a common thing with this series. You're never controlling a skilled warrior (Wander is the closest out of the three protagonists, and he's clearly only at home with riding, climbing and archery. All he can do with the sword is flail or stab), so the controls are a bit loose to portray that.

I'm less forgiving of the camera, but so many games get that wrong I figure it's really not as easy a fix as people always say. I have found it a bit easier to handle by turning the sensitivity down a few notches.

(And a lot of people seem to forget that L2 Lock on exists, which I've seen suddenly turn a few players around on exactly how frustrating the controls are)

AH I HATE TIME ATTACK MALUS SO MUCH AHHHH.
    Sorry, I just needed to vent.

If anyone's having trouble with the constant flailing of that boss, I found a trick that worked for me:
    After stabbing the head once, if you go back and stab the weak point on its shoulder, it'll go through the 'hold hand to shoulder' move, which gets it to stay still enough to climb up and stab the head without it flailing around. You have to repeat it a few times, but I found it easier than trying to stay on the head, and I managed it in about 9 minutes.

• GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    This game is really good, guys.

Also, I've been keeping it suspended on my PS4 and going back to it for a boss at a time every day or so, and every time I un-suspend and find myself staring at some gorgeous 4K vista, my jaw drops.

It's easy to take for granted just how great this thing looks.

PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I was watching someone stream it last night, it looks like there's some camera goofiness in this version. It looks freaking amazing though.

edited February 2018
    Henroid wrote: »
    I was watching someone stream it last night, it looks like there's some camera goofiness in this version. It looks freaking amazing though.

It's just the same camera goofiness as in the original, which... isn't great, for sure. I mean, it tends to give you really cinematic looks at the world - i.e. it pans out and slowly shifts horizontally when you're riding across the world - so that can be a good thing. But during fights, it can go absolutely crazy, to the point that you can't even tell what is happening and you just hold R2 (to maintain your grip) and pray that everything will work out.

I did one Colossus over the weekend that involved grabbing hold of its tail, blindly holding R2 and Up for like ten seconds while the camera did somersaults underwater, and waiting for everything to sort itself out while maybe climbing forward or maybe not moving at all? That's... a failing. But I don't think it really hurts the experience at all. Just takes some getting used to (and maybe should have been addressed in the remake).

GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
    I just did that one, I agree it was a pain! Also, what's with this dude not being able to move with his bow drawn? Makes shooting shrine lizards a pain.

• KlatuKlatu Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi OiRegistered User regular
    Stolen from reddit, but worth the share. That dismount

Steam id:Klatu - PS id: Klatu_PA - 3DS FC: 0920-0528-6680
    No no no yissssssssssss

So I'm doing a quick run through on Easy to unlock all the image gallery stuff (why couldn't they just be inclusive on that? Do it on Normal, and unlock the Easy stuff as well?), and I haven't seen any differences on what makes it easy?

I'd think an actual easy mode would get them to be a little slower to start flailing around. No such luck, I've actually had more trouble with some of them, even with NG+ stamina.

Though I am using the Normal time trial unlocks, so I'm killing each weak spot with one stab anyway. Maybe that's easier?
    I'm playing on Mirrored as well, which is messing with my navigation. I always get lost trying to find Pillar City anyway, but this time I got really lost. Like, I looked at the map and I'd crossed my path a couple of times without even realising.

PS: The Cloak of Deception makes Malus so much more satisfying. Just run right at him.

I thought I'd try my hand at NG+ on hard. I guess it gives Colossi more weak spots to stab, and also makes them try to shake you off more often? Colossus 1 was headbanging like it was in the middle of a mosh pit...

Wtf, you have to complete the game and then finish another two NG+ before you can reach the top of The shrine? I could do it with just one playthrough and lizard tails from shrines on PS2

• Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Just picked this up. Defeated the 3rd Colossus. Goddamn, I had forgotten how nerve-wracking combing (edit: CLIMBING, but it's a funny enough auto fill so it stays) those big bastards was.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
    edited February 2018
    New passive game mode incoming. It replaces the sword with a big brush, and the bow fires hair clips.

It's still challenging though, because the colossi are like fussy 3 year olds.

Skull2185 on
    I'm strugglig with Malus, I get on his second hand but then... nothing. I've shot him in the face and top of the head but he won't so whatever he does next. Also, the camera is just thenworst here.

Oakey wrote: »
    I'm strugglig with Malus, I get on his second hand but then... nothing. I've shot him in the face and top of the head but he won't so whatever he does next. Also, the camera is just thenworst here.

Solution
    Put an arrow in his shoulder

Also, if you're on his hand and need a stamina break, stab his hand and he'll hold it still for a while.

Yeah I did it finally, I knew he had to be shot in a certain place but couldn't remember where. I checked a guide that said "shoot him in the head" which is clearly wrong!

• Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Watching the DF video blew my mind

I knew this was coming out, but I thought, "Do I really need to play this again just prettier? Probably not worth it"

But now I might actually break away from Monster Hunter to ... hunt giant monsters

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Played this with Lady Raven's friend as a first time viewer. Always fun to see it via new eyes.

It was plenty stunning to me as well though. That incredible moment where Avion flies towards you has never felt so gooood

After we beat it I immediately went back through and did the time attack, then hard time attack, now I'm considering going for the coins. Also I never did see the secret place with my own eyes, what with requiring so many NG+ to achieve. Maybe I should...

Was also musing over the possibility of adding the fabled cut Colossi as DLC. For a minute it seemed obviously plausible, but after beating this perfect game again, I'm reconsidering. I wouldn't want any new Colossus added to the hall of 16, but I also wouldn't want them confined to some menu, fenced off from the rest of the world. Maybe they could appear as idols for some other, separate ritual, or already shattered and only available as Time Attack instances. But then that carries its own implications that someone else got in here first etc...

Oh brilliant
    I'm always wary of people asking for cut content to be added, because there had to be a reason it was cut in the first place.

Beat this last weekend for the first time. Had never seen more than... the first five or so Colossi (on PS2), in a friend's dorm room.

Absolutely beautiful remaster on PS4 - I bought a Pro specifically to play this in 4K/HDR - and obviously way ahead of its time way back when. A lot of strong moments, but the last few Colossi are truly impressive.