As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Board games] I choose poorly.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    CesareB wrote: »
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    City of Kings is here!

I just realized I backed it and never looked at the project again I wonder what the hell I bought.

Huh. i watched a playthrough of this and it's really promising but I can't imagine ever playing it twice.

I chose poorly?

I mean at the rate you buy games how many of them can you possibly have played twice?

at least four

• Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    I assume that at this point you play board games using other board games as pieces.

• Options
    CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    No, no. The other board games are players.

Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • Options
    Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular

I chose poorly?
    Next Thread Title, right here.

Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    City of Kings is here!

I just realized I backed it and never looked at the project again I wonder what the hell I bought.

Huh. i watched a playthrough of this and it's really promising but I can't imagine ever playing it twice.

I chose poorly?

I've been worrying because I still hadn't gotten my shipment notification for this. Turns out I'm not waiting on a shipment notification, because I forgot to do the pledgemanager to raise my original of $1. Whoops

So hey....You uh, you wanna sell a boardgame?

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    City of Kings is here!

I chose poorly?

I've been worrying because I still hadn't gotten my shipment notification for this. Turns out I'm not waiting on a shipment notification, because I forgot to do the pledgemanager to raise my original of $1. Whoops

I have to play it first!

• Options
    LykouraghLykouragh Registered User regular
    City of Kings is here!

I chose poorly?

I have to play it first!

wait, you play boardgames?

• Options
    yes

like an instrument

it admittedly sounds awful but try and stop me he-man

• Options
    Magic Pink, I gotta say, I really appreciate you being such a good sport every time we start poking fun at you re: your relationship with board games.

• Options
    bobAkirafettbobAkirafett Registered User regular
    Ken O wrote: »
    I thought everyone was talking about the old Milton Bradley game Thunder Road and I got excited.

Thunder Road is in my top 5 (board) games of all time. Love that damn game.

akirasig.jpg
  • Options
    Delduwath wrote: »
    Magic Pink, I gotta say, I really appreciate you being such a good sport every time we start poking fun at you re: your relationship with board games.

I HAVE *NEVER FUCKED A BOARDGAME WHAT ARE YOU IMPLYING

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular

That it's not for lack of opportunity.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

• Options

Excuse me, I still remember this post:
    man i do that already

expansion boxes? fuck 'em

• Options
    ah but i said boardgames not expansions.

i remain pristine

• Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    Oh hey an English version of Birdie Fight is coming to kickstarter later this month, renamed as Songbirds. I really wanted to grab the Japanese one from the BGG store when they had it but it was hard to justify the price they were asking. Fans of beautiful card games take note!

https://youtu.be/newFUWolQk0

• Options
    ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular

The words 'been' and 'by' are conspicuously absent from that statement

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular

The words 'been' and 'by' are conspicuously absent from that statement

I'm pretty sure he got fucked by Gloomhaven. Left it at my place so he wouldn't have to look at it.

• Options
    They just released some new info on Zombicide: Invaders:
    • Two kinds of characters: Soldiers and Civilians. Soldiers are better in combat, Civilians find more stuff.
    • Some areas are outside the base with no oxygen so you need to find and equip oxygen tanks to go there
    • The new Abomination spreads Mold which makes more aliens and the Mold will also destroy things including your objectives and make you fail the mission. It also does 3 damage per hit.
    • Very very few buildings (just a few locked rooms now) so not as much availability for searching
    • Abominations require multiple characters to attack them at the same time with a new "concentrate fire" rule
    • Oxygen deprived areas will make bullet weapons not work and alter line of sight rules
    • Targetting has changed so bigger zombies are hit first, thus protecting all the little ones

• Options
    ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    I like the Concentrate Fire rule, in theory, and I think it might be a good way to deal with Abominations and other super monsters going forward.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    • Two kinds of characters: Soldiers and Civilians. Soldiers are better in combat, Civilians find more stuff.
    • Some areas are outside the base with no oxygen so you need to find and equip oxygen tanks to go there
    • The new Abomination spreads Mold which makes more aliens and the Mold will also destroy things including your objectives and make you fail the mission. It also does 3 damage per hit.
    • Very very few buildings (just a few locked rooms now) so not as much availability for searching
    • Abominations require multiple characters to attack them at the same time with a new "concentrate fire" rule
    • Oxygen deprived areas will make bullet weapons not work and alter line of sight rules
    • Targetting has changed so bigger zombies are hit first, thus protecting all the little ones
    Uhh... doesn't modern ammunition have its own oxidizer, thus allowing them to work even in the vacuum of space?

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    Uhh... doesn't modern ammunition have its own oxidizer, thus allowing them to work even in the vacuum of space?

Space muskets.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »

Zombies don't exist either!

• Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    Won our first game of Black Orchestra! The rules say that when you win, you have to take a picture of everyone holding up the "We Killed Hitler!" victory card and post it to social media (#WeKilledHitler). We're...probably not going to do that.

It's weird that in any other game, I'd say the mechanics were too luck dependent. But it fits the atmosphere of the game perfectly to decide when deciding to back off on assassination opportunities and when to take the chance.

But it seems up there with Ghost Stories for difficulty. And like Ghost Stories, there's different difficulty levels and I can't imagine ever beating it on anything but the easiest. Like, on hard difficulty, the best case assassination attempt will require you to roll four 5s or 6s, and best case you're going to get to roll 4d6. That's four 5-6s on four dice. There are a couple cards that let you reroll 1 die but still.

• Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    Trying out Sidereal Confluence today! Any tips??

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
      TimFiji wrote: »

Try to get a low difficulty race.
      Don't forget to loan out the machines you can't use yourself. You could ask for a share of the output instead of cubes now.
      Always try to make a fair deal.

steam_sig.png
    • Options
      Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular

Play with a low player count your first time

• Options

Try to get a low difficulty race.
      Don't forget to loan out the machines you can't use yourself. You could ask for a share of the output instead of cubes now.
      Always try to make a fair deal.

Man just that sounds cool

• Options
        DarricDarric Santa MonicaRegistered User regular
        Are you teaching it? If so I'd recommend going over the official teaching guide, I found the rulebook pretty obtuse, and not actually doing a great job of explaining the flow of the game.

Second, don't mistake the small white cubes printed on almost every player's cards for the wild grey cubes. :)

• Options
        Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
        Had a good week of games. Two friends came over Wednesday and we played Xia: Legends of a Drift System. Three players was just right to not get totally bored between turns. It is a total dice-fest, but it's fun for what it is. My last turn I nearly circumnavigated the universe to earn the Velocity Warden title (which we cracked up when it revealed, since it's what SUSD called out in their video), upgraded my ship, explored a ton, ended up scoring 5 or 6 fame points to win.

Last night my wife and I got through the first two games of Harry Potter: Hogwarts Battle. Pretty fun, though we had the easy intro scenarios so we'll see how it ramps up moving on. I always enjoy the escalating games where you slowly add more content and get little surprises along the way.

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
      • Options
        jergarmarjergarmar hollow man crew goes pew pew pewRegistered User regular
        Mage Wars: Academy is... a strange game. But fun. Maybe that hits Mage Wars too, but I've never played. Since you just pick the card you want to play, a lot of the game is very "solitary", if that makes any sense. This is probably an exaggeration, but the game sort of runs like a wind-up toy, where you assemble your spell book and let it loose on a game. You react to your opponent, but in predictable ways (though there are mindgames with the secret enchantment cards).

And somehow I don't mind this so much, probably because the games tend to be short and interesting. It certainly doesn't feel like many other two-player games, even though superficially it looks like a LOT of other games. I'm enjoying it. I wonder if there's a way to introduce drafting, because that would be a really interesting way to introduce some randomization to the game.

In other news, I have Adventure Land on the way, and I'm sort of excited about it. Seems like an unlikely game to engender buzz, but it seems like a pretty clever family game.

When I was a child, I had a fever...
        jswidget.php?username=jergarmar&numitems=7&text=none&images=small&show=hot10&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
        My BoardGameGeek profile
        Battle.net: TheGerm#1430 (Hearthstone, Destiny 2)
      • Options
        AetherAether Registered User regular
        Had a good week of games. Two friends came over Wednesday and we played Xia: Legends of a Drift System. Three players was just right to not get totally bored between turns. It is a total dice-fest, but it's fun for what it is. My last turn I nearly circumnavigated the universe to earn the Velocity Warden title (which we cracked up when it revealed, since it's what SUSD called out in their video), upgraded my ship, explored a ton, ended up scoring 5 or 6 fame points to win.

Last night my wife and I got through the first two games of Harry Potter: Hogwarts Battle. Pretty fun, though we had the easy intro scenarios so we'll see how it ramps up moving on. I always enjoy the escalating games where you slowly add more content and get little surprises along the way.

Year four is when it starts getting tricky I think. I like the game, but if you deal out the wrong first three villains you might as well scoop and start again.

• Options
        ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
        edited March 2018
        Harry Potter really bugs me, because out of the box it's actually pretty good (if incredibly simple because year 1 is a tutorial for how to play deck building games). It's also one of the most nicely presented games when you open the box~
        However the game doesn't genuinely get harder - (I don't think this really warrants a spoiler, but just to be extra courteous)
        it just builds out compound randomness. :/
        I got it for the better half Christmas before last, and we played a bunch of it and had fun, but after a certain point we just wanted more from it. Can anyone weigh in on what the expansion added? I didn't expect much from it, but ... surprise me?

ArcticLancer on
      • Options
        HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
        I haven't played the Harry Potter deckbuilder expansion, but everything I've read makes it sound like it just compounds the flaws of the base game, by adding more (and more difficult) villains and increasing the length even more.

It's my daughter's favorite game right now, but the game has nothing like a balanced or fun difficulty curve. With a few exceptions, it's either clear you've lost in the first fifteen minutes, or else it's obvious you will never be in danger of losing. But there's still 75+ minutes to play out after that realization..

• Options
        edited March 2018
        Holy shit guys. Sidereal Confluence was awesome

TimFiji on
        • Options
          InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
          Huh, I was just thinking about how it might be tricky getting my hands on a copy of Hannibal: Rome vs Carthage because it's old and out of print from a company that doesn't exist anymore but I guess there was a kickstarter for a reprint and that it should be hitting retail sometime this month?

Well ain't that just darn convenient?

• Options
          Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
          jergarmar wrote: »
          Mage Wars: Academy is... a strange game. But fun. Maybe that hits Mage Wars too, but I've never played. Since you just pick the card you want to play, a lot of the game is very "solitary", if that makes any sense. This is probably an exaggeration, but the game sort of runs like a wind-up toy, where you assemble your spell book and let it loose on a game. You react to your opponent, but in predictable ways (though there are mindgames with the secret enchantment cards).

And somehow I don't mind this so much, probably because the games tend to be short and interesting. It certainly doesn't feel like many other two-player games, even though superficially it looks like a LOT of other games. I'm enjoying it. I wonder if there's a way to introduce drafting, because that would be a really interesting way to introduce some randomization to the game.

In other news, I have Adventure Land on the way, and I'm sort of excited about it. Seems like an unlikely game to engender buzz, but it seems like a pretty clever family game.

Spell book building is a big thing the deeper you get into the game and the more cards you have, the more you can really get into the weeds. With all the Character vs Character expansions, you get enough cards to build a "recommended" deck with, say, The Paladin and then a bunch of non-used cards that give you more spell book options for your others.

I think I like full-blown Mage Wars more because of the movement stuff they add and the walls and terrain stuff but it IS a much longer game that kinda plays like a minis wargame but without the minis since you're doing a lot of blocking line of sights and maneuvering.

And that's before you get into the expansion that is about like magic basketdodgeball???

I actually use Academy as the low level teaching of MW since it uses all the same terminology it's super helpful and then we move onto intermediate and advanced with MW proper.

• Options
          WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
          Had a good game day last night!

Managed to get a good second-hand copy of Tiny Epic Galaxies (which, upon checking Amazon prices, would seem to me that I got on a good bargain), it was great. It went real Inception-like in the last few turns (somone follows me, and she has a planet that says "I do something, and everyone else can follow for free"), and we've somehow gone to two hours on this game alone (due to said Inception). We kind of don't mind the time, but I find it baffling that people can finish this under an hour.

Next was Libertalia, which was pretty damn cutthroat. Governor's Daughter entered the game in the second week, and people were watching her appearance like a hawk. Gunner was also there, which was great for killing other people. This is the gift we gave to our buddy, who really loved the game.

Last was Champions of Midgard + Valhalla. The Valhalla expansion really gave the base game a new dimension, the Valhalla tokens getting people to take more risks. On the last turn, a dude of ours put his meeple on the Troll space, but did not bother fighting it. All the players got a blame token for that, which is beneficial to him, because of a Valhallan monster he killed that gives him points for blame tokens in play. Everybody's reaction to that was priceless.

• Options
          DarricDarric Santa MonicaRegistered User regular

Nice! How many players did you do? I wish I could convince the guy who has it to bring it to more game nights, but I just don't think he likes it as much as the rest of us.

• Options
          Darric wrote: »

Nice! How many players did you do? I wish I could convince the guy who has it to bring it to more game nights, but I just don't think he likes it as much as the rest of us.

6. Everyone was all "wtf is this?" When I had the boards set up before we started then we went through the teaching guide and some things. Once the trading phase started it got fun real fast

• Options
            HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
            Had a good game day last night!

Managed to get a good second-hand copy of Tiny Epic Galaxies (which, upon checking Amazon prices, would seem to me that I got on a good bargain), it was great. It went real Inception-like in the last few turns (somone follows me, and she has a planet that says "I do something, and everyone else can follow for free"), and we've somehow gone to two hours on this game alone (due to said Inception). We kind of don't mind the time, but I find it baffling that people can finish this under an hour.

Tiny Epic Galaxies takes 20-30 minutes per player. With 2 or 3 it can move pretty fast, but with more players it takes a long time. This is partly due to the time needed to go around the whole table checking for culture follows after every action, and also more players result in more wasted actions as more of your colonization attempts are thwarted by other players.

This discussion has been closed.