As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Fire Emblem] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    Okay so this is only tangentially related to FE, but someone might get a kick out of this - the new Godzilla movie on Netflix is animated with the exact same art and rendering style as the recent FE games' cinematics. Main character even looks pretty much like a less friendly Chrom.

• Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Well if Godzilla counts as a dragon unit then fighting it with a Falchion makes perfect sense.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    For some reason, the idea that the next DLC would release on the 22nd got stuck in my head somehow. So it's nice to see it'll be a few days earlier than that.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Fire Emblem Warriors Shadow Dragon DLC character trailers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27E8V5fbUIk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-GIfSflW7E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lidqnxMGzZg

Edit: Also the update's out now.

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    So, looks like Minerva is a Camilla clone and Navarre is a Lyn clone. Well... those were unique movesets and they are pretty good movesets, so I can't be too upset about them? Just a little upset.

Nice that Linde has a unique moveset. Though I wonder if it'll remain unique once Tharja appears on the scene.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2018
    Caeda's personal weapon is crazy

Wing Spear comes with a skill called Rampager, giving her Plateslayer and Mountslayer in one skill, and it only counts as 1 Boost slot so you can still throw another on there like Dracoslayer or something. It's on the first map

Haven't found Tiki's yet, Anna's Bow is on the third map and Wo Dao for Navarre is on the first (no bonus skills)

edit: Tiki's Divinestone (gonna guess it's on map 2) has innate Dracoslayer, Anna's Bow just has the normal Wingslayer bow buff

Naphtali on
    Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Tiki's Divinestone is indeed on the second map, Princess Minerva.

It's the Lv. 33 swordfighter Ally Rescue mission inside the fort, near Lissa.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2018
    I'm glad they're finally filling out the personal weapons for everyone, there really was no reason to ever use somebody without one. The -slayer bonuses are too good, and weapon damage is so much more important than character levels. Not to mention the broken as hell Luck based skills (Luna, Lethality and Luck+20).

And on the plus side, it made the grind to buff up a character way more tolerable than something like Hyrule Warriors.

Naphtali on
    Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    R-demR-dem Registered User regular
    I gave up violent media for Lent.
    Nintendo sent me a 30% off code for a digital purchase.
    So now Echoes sits on my home screen, mocking me until Easter.

I started the series with Awakening, which I played the crap out of and loved. Went back and snagged Radiant Dawn (meh), grabbed the virtual console titles on WiiU (which I loved!), and tried Fates (meh), so I have high hopes for Echoes.

• Options
    Eesh. Playing Radiant Dawn without having played Path of Radiance first? I can't imagine that's a particularly smooth ride.

It's the most sequel Fire Emblem to ever sequel.

• Options
    After seeing what Radiance goes for, I opted to read a very thorough LP instead. When I wasn't too impressed with Dawn, I read a very thorough LP of it too, and honestly enjoyed that more than playing it myself. Weird, I know.

Blazing Sword is just straight badass though. The sprite work is so good.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    R-dem wrote: »
    I gave up violent media for Lent.
    Nintendo sent me a 30% off code for a digital purchase.
    So now Echoes sits on my home screen, mocking me until Easter.

I started the series with Awakening, which I played the crap out of and loved. Went back and snagged Radiant Dawn (meh), grabbed the virtual console titles on WiiU (which I loved!), and tried Fates (meh), so I have high hopes for Echoes.

As someone who felt the same way about Awakening and Fates (and what little I played of FE7 on Wii U VC), I think you will love Echoes. It's pretty great. I still need to go back and finish it - I'm pretty sure I'm right at the end of the game.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Echoes was a really good FE game. Throwback without going so far back to be archaic in design (see Shadow Dragon on DS). I love the simplicity of not worrying about marriage, child creation, and avatar creation which have become far too prevalent in the current series of games.

They are cool, but being far too overused lately.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Echoes was a really good FE game. Throwback without going so far back to be archaic in design (see Shadow Dragon on DS). I love the simplicity of not worrying about marriage, child creation, and avatar creation which have become far too prevalent in the current series of games.

They are cool, but being far too overused lately.

I kind of agree. Honestly Fates in particular was just completely stupid. "Um, we put the babies in a magic pocket dimension... for reasons... so um, they're all grow'd up now!" At least with Awakening it was directly tied in with the story and worked really well I thought.

Honestly I'd be fine if children don't come back in the next new Fire Emblem. I think marriage is fine and I'm not bothered that much about the avatar stuff either (there's still a "canon" appearance for the character so at least it's not some generic blank slate that doesn't even factor in well with the story... Robin & Corrin were still really involved in everything).

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    I think I would have liked Fates better had Corrin been a dedicated protagonist rather than an MU and not had the distracting castle shenanigans and marriage/children plot. In Awakening, marriage and kids tied back into the most important part of the story and thus Shipping Grid made a ton of sense.

I also found it interesting that, playing the releases in reverse, I actually preferred not having Pair Up. I found that PU made almost every battle begin by plotting pairs, then bashing stats, and took focus away from formation and positioning by effectively halving the units on the field. I dunno, maybe I was playing it wrong?

A feature I would like to see in a future release is an enforced XCOM Ironman mode. I enjoy playing that way rather than constant resets anyway, and it would be neat to see it codified.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I wouldn't mind the children mechanic in a new game, but actually make there be a time shift before they are playable.

Like, break the game into 2 parts. Part 1 is where you do the usual FE stuff of building a party, get supports, and so forth. Your S ranked couples would get married and eventually have a kid. Those kids would be playable in the 2nd half of the game. The kids would be your primary party members now with some of the older characters randomly returning to help out. But while some older heroes would join the fight, others would retire from fighting to become shop keeps that provide discounts or be NPC helpers that grant healing/buffs/items along the way.

Example: Clara is a Archer who marries Devin the Myrmidon. They have a kid named Jacob who's a Fighter by default. Because his parents were Clara and Devin, he can reclass at level 1 into an Archer or Myrmidon. In addition, he gets a +2 Skill bonus and +2 Speed bonus added to his stats from his parents. Finally, RNG decides that Clara dislikes the rising threat and she decides to fight alongside her son. Devin however decides to go back and run the old Armory. When you use your base camp option between maps, Devin will be there to repair items or offer discounts on certain weapons/items.

And this is just the Classic Mode asshole in me talking, but make it where if characters "die" in Casual mode, they are still playable in the next mission. Give them a slight bump to their stats (-1 the first time, -2 the next, etc), but have some of them actually die during the time jump from their piling injuries. Characters that die off are replaced by generic NPCs in the second half of the game (thus providing no bonuses). If there are no parents or S-Rank marriages, the kids aren't related to the older heroes and gain no bonus or class options.

These slight changes would increase replayability by having various children/parents/npcs outcomes during the second half of the game.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    I wouldn't mind the children mechanic in a new game, but actually make there be a time shift before they are playable.

Like, break the game into 2 parts. Part 1 is where you do the usual FE stuff of building a party, get supports, and so forth. Your S ranked couples would get married and eventually have a kid. Those kids would be playable in the 2nd half of the game. The kids would be your primary party members now with some of the older characters randomly returning to help out. But while some older heroes would join the fight, others would retire from fighting to become shop keeps that provide discounts or be NPC helpers that grant healing/buffs/items along the way.

Example: Clara is a Archer who marries Devin the Myrmidon. They have a kid named Jacob who's a Fighter by default. Because his parents were Clara and Devin, he can reclass at level 1 into an Archer or Myrmidon. In addition, he gets a +2 Skill bonus and +2 Speed bonus added to his stats from his parents. Finally, RNG decides that Clara dislikes the rising threat and she decides to fight alongside her son. Devin however decides to go back and run the old Armory. When you use your base camp option between maps, Devin will be there to repair items or offer discounts on certain weapons/items.

And this is just the Classic Mode asshole in me talking, but make it where if characters "die" in Casual mode, they are still playable in the next mission. Give them a slight bump to their stats (-1 the first time, -2 the next, etc), but have some of them actually die during the time jump from their piling injuries. Characters that die off are replaced by generic NPCs in the second half of the game (thus providing no bonuses). If there are no parents or S-Rank marriages, the kids aren't related to the older heroes and gain no bonus or class options.

These slight changes would increase replayability by having various children/parents/npcs outcomes during the second half of the game.

As I understand it, this is how Geneology of the Holy War works.

• Options

This would also go real well with some story twist at the time skip, like the protagonists losing the war, and fleeing into hiding/getting captured/dying and the children growing up to take up the mantle.

• Options
    MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    As I understand it, this is how Genealogy of the Holy War works.

Wouldn't mind seeing the Jugdral games get the Echoes treatment since they never made it out of Japan in any official capacity. Be kinda nice to play them without having to jump through hoops.

• Options

I swear if they don't show Fire Emblem Switch....

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    Nope, nothing on fire emblem. We got a Smash teaser trailer instead.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    Talith wrote: »
    Nope, nothing on fire emblem. We got a Smash teaser trailer instead.

Yeah, never would've expected that we'd hear about Smash before Fire Emblem. Guess they're saving it for E3? Hopefully?

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    JookieJookie Registered User regular

Like, break the game into 2 parts. Part 1 is where you do the usual FE stuff of building a party, get supports, and so forth. Your S ranked couples would get married and eventually have a kid. Those kids would be playable in the 2nd half of the game. The kids would be your primary party members now with some of the older characters randomly returning to help out
    As mentioned, this very much is Geneology of the Holy War. Some of the designs on it are a little off putting or lacking some quality of life stuff from not being a modern title but given time to learn how it works and the game will still make perfect sense. I don't fully remember what all of my issues with the game are but it very much is one of my favorites of the series that I've played. It can be fucking brutal to play though, it feels like every now and again RNGesus will just destroy your units because fuck you that's why. Whenever I have a ninety percent chance to crit in the modern titles I felt safe taking that attack. Whenever I see it in Geneology I hope that I don't need that attack to connect to prevent death because I'm gonna die.

Even the generic unit thing is there. If a character that has a child is not married off to someone, you get a baseline character for the second generation. If they are, the child(ren) inherit a bunch of shit and can wind up as killing machines thanks to how skills, lineage, and legendary weapons work.

butts
  • Options
    I'm hoping there's a dedicated Fire Emblem Direct coming before e3. That is way too long to wait :(

• Options
    I really want to snag the used Fire Emblem 3DS one of my local Gamestops has and load all of the games on it.

Knowing my luck though the day after I do it Nintendo will announce that they're moving GBA VCs to the New 3DSs.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Went back to play FE7 again cause why the fuck not.

Man...5 support convos max was pretty rough.

• Options
    So according to... some person on Twitter who's translated a Famitsu article... the Awakening DLC for Fire Emblem Warriors will be dropping quite soon.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I never beat the main campaign in this game. I got to chapter 12 (?) and couldn't get past it. Whichever level is the one where the two Fates eldest brothers are warring against each other and you have to split on the map and try to keep the conflict in an even balance. I continually failed at that, time after time. Xander kept dying. And I was never able to figure out why, because when I looked at the minimap, the teams always looked equal to me.

Eventually I just gave up, and I haven't touched it since.

• Options
    When you say the teams always looked equal, did you mean that both Yellow and Red always had an equal amount of bases left?

Because that's what that chapter wants you to do. Take a Red base, then a Yellow one, then another Red, then another Yellow, and so on.

• Options
    I picked Warriors back up a while ago after dropping it when Xenoblade came out. I never quite finished all the base game content (still had to unlock Celica and Anna), so that plus the two DLC packs were quite a lot of content to go back to.

Still can't beat Celica's and Lyn's map with an S rank though because killing that stupid dragon takes way too long.

• Options
    When you say the teams always looked equal, did you mean that both Yellow and Red always had an equal amount of bases left?

Because that's what that chapter wants you to do. Take a Red base, then a Yellow one, then another Red, then another Yellow, and so on.

At this point I don't remember. It's been several months. I don't know that I ever did a count of the number of bases. I just did it looking at the colors on the minimap and made sure that each color occupied approximately half the map.

• Options
    Looks like the Awakening DLC is launching next week after all.

• Options
    Maz- wrote: »
    Looks like the Awakening DLC is launching next week after all.

Yeah, that does make more sense.

• Options
    LordSolarMachariusLordSolarMacharius Red wine with fish Registered User regular
    An interesting theory I saw elsewhere: Fire Emblem 0/Cipher (the TCG) recently had a stream about the current release (Series 12). Keeping with it's established routine, it showed off art for Series 13 as well. Normally, there would have also been a bit of info on the series two from now (14), but there was not. The previous time something like that happened was for Series 9, which was the one containing FE:Echoes characters (whose art had not been released at the time of Series 7).

Series 9 released in June of last year (two months after Echoes' release in Japan). Again, keeping with the established routine, Series 14 should be out in September. So if it's the one introducing Fire Emblem Switch characters that would suggest a summer release. (Which is, granted, soon for a game we have been told nothing about. But Echoes came out only four months after it was announced... so, it's possible...)

• Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    An interesting theory I saw elsewhere: Fire Emblem 0/Cipher (the TCG) recently had a stream about the current release (Series 12). Keeping with it's established routine, it showed off art for Series 13 as well. Normally, there would have also been a bit of info on the series two from now (14), but there was not. The previous time something like that happened was for Series 9, which was the one containing FE:Echoes characters (whose art had not been released at the time of Series 7).

Series 9 released in June of last year (two months after Echoes' release in Japan). Again, keeping with the established routine, Series 14 should be out in September. So if it's the one introducing Fire Emblem Switch characters that would suggest a summer release. (Which is, granted, soon for a game we have been told nothing about. But Echoes came out only four months after it was announced... so, it's possible...)

It's not unthinkable that FE Switch characters might appear in Cipher before the game comes out. Roy and Corrin both debuted in Smash before their games released, for example.

XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    DarkMechaDarkMecha The Outer SpaceRegistered User regular
    So I've been playing FE Awakening on Hard/Casual and I'm at the final map. It is not going well...
    On most of my characters, say about 10, I leveled them to max in their base class then max in a master class. I had no problem with any of the previous maps, but this last map is like an entirely different game suddenly. All the enemy troops 1 shot all my guys. No one can damage Grima except Chrom and even then Chrom does around 20 damage, 34 on a critical. Sometimes Grima just instantly kills Chrom. Either way I can't kill him in one turn and then everyone dies the next so I don't see a way to win because of that.

Any advice other than grinding? I really don't want to grind, so if that is the only option I'll probably just drop the game.

Steam Profile | My Art | NID: DarkMecha (SW-4787-9571-8977) | PSN: DarkMecha
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    DarkMecha wrote: »
    So I've been playing FE Awakening on Hard/Casual and I'm at the final map. It is not going well...
    On most of my characters, say about 10, I leveled them to max in their base class then max in a master class. I had no problem with any of the previous maps, but this last map is like an entirely different game suddenly. All the enemy troops 1 shot all my guys. No one can damage Grima except Chrom and even then Chrom does around 20 damage, 34 on a critical. Sometimes Grima just instantly kills Chrom. Either way I can't kill him in one turn and then everyone dies the next so I don't see a way to win because of that.

Any advice other than grinding? I really don't want to grind, so if that is the only option I'll probably just drop the game.

Kid units are a fair bit stronger than parents. Second seal for more skills and levels makes people stronger as well. I'm surprised you can't bait anything out? On hard you're expected to be breaking the game somewhat though.

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    Is there a way to drop the difficulty after a game has started in Awakening and/or Fates? I started both of those games on Normal with permadeath, because those are the way the games are "supposed" to be played, so I wanted a true experience. But I've also discovered that a true experience is not fun for me, and losing awesome dudes makes me hate the game.

Actually, I'll probably need to restart both of them anyway, so that I don't have lost dudes.

This discussion has been closed.