As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Wrestling] 2017 goes to 8,760 hour time limit draw

• Options
    astrobstrdastrobstrd So full of mercy... Registered User regular
    205 Live on Tuesday nights is live on Network as well. I'd also highly recommend the Cruiserweight Classic, UK title tourney, and Mae Young Classic if you have a sub as network exclusives.

Selling the Scream Podcast: https://anchor.fm/jeremy-donaldson
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »
    One last thing about the WWE network. I cut the cord awhile back as well and cut my Hulu subrscription. It's only NXT that's live every week on that right? It'll keep saying shows are coming up after raw during commercials watching shows, but raw isn't on.

So It's NXT, and then youtube for snippets, before the week in review for raw and smackdown keeping up right?

Really enjoying the network. Went back and watched some classics, was very easy to find them, and love the ability to skip to beggining or matches end. App has some UI issues I feel, but that features makes up for some of them.

Due to TV contracts Raw and SD don't go on the Network until 30 days later.

• Options
    RickRudeRickRude Registered User regular
    RickRude wrote: »
    One last thing about the WWE network. I cut the cord awhile back as well and cut my Hulu subrscription. It's only NXT that's live every week on that right? It'll keep saying shows are coming up after raw during commercials watching shows, but raw isn't on.

So It's NXT, and then youtube for snippets, before the week in review for raw and smackdown keeping up right?

Really enjoying the network. Went back and watched some classics, was very easy to find them, and love the ability to skip to beggining or matches end. App has some UI issues I feel, but that features makes up for some of them.

Due to TV contracts Raw and SD don't go on the Network until 30 days later.

It basically makes them worthless unless you want to watch for specific matches. As the story lines are so far behind by that point. The recap highlights on youtube do seem to do a decent job of keeping me up, but it'd be nice to actually watch them.
    astrobstrd wrote: »
    205 Live on Tuesday nights is live on Network as well. I'd also highly recommend the Cruiserweight Classic, UK title tourney, and Mae Young Classic if you have a sub as network exclusives.

I will definately check these out. NXT looks awesome, and the bit I've seen of the 205 guys seem to put on good matches. Anything to keep my GF away from The Diva reality shows lol!

• Options
    hailtothekalehailtothekale Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Finished the latest season of Total Divas today. The latest batch of episodes that just went up a month or so ago all take place in mid-2016 which really throws off my sense of time while watching it.

Overall it was a great season, I loved the "Nikki's Comeback" plot and was a little surprised how candid they were talking about the suspensions of Paige and Eva Marie. The last time we see Eva is her claiming she did nothing wrong and we'll see her in 30 days and as far as I remember she never appeared on WWE tv between getting suspended and released. The new additions were a great choice, Rusev and Lana's ordeal of going through two very different weddings was good stuff. To no surprise, Miz and Maryse were the absolute stars of this season and I can't wait to see their show.

My vote for best episode of the season is the episode where everyone is trying to make their pets famous, as it involves Nattie crashing the Bellas' meeting with a pet talent agent and Dean Ambrose in a Big Japan "No Deathmatch No Life" t-shirt.

hailtothekale on
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    Those two posts flow nicely.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Dex DynamoDex Dynamo Registered User regular
    In retrospect, I shouldn't have been surprised that The Miz was a natural on reality TV, but he fit in immediately, and his interactions with Maryse were always a delight.

He also dropped the line, "It feels like I'm back on the Real World," which was chef's kiss.

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited March 2018
    astrobstrd wrote: »

Also the WWE 24 specials are universally worth checking out.

Edit
    https://youtu.be/OCysp5nCcuE

I found a wonderful thing. Here it is.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    I watched the highlights of Okada vs Ospreay (Might watch the full match if I can talk myself into reupping my World sub despite not really caring about New Japan right now) and did "bad Yakuza kicks" come packaged with those ugly pants Okada is wearing now? Or is it just a thing to break out to try and reinforce the jnr vs heavyweight struggle dynamic?
    Red Shoes' face when Will hit Okada with a wrist-clutch lariat was just perfect. Also it looked like, from the highlights at least, that they were protecting the Oz Cutter pretty strongly which is interesting. Give me Heavyweight Ospreay pls.

Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
  • Options
    HjorvarthrHjorvarthr Registered User regular
    Don't insult Okada's pants

his mother made them

• Options
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    I watched the highlights of Okada vs Ospreay (Might watch the full match if I can talk myself into reupping my World sub despite not really caring about New Japan right now) and did "bad Yakuza kicks" come packaged with those ugly pants Okada is wearing now? Or is it just a thing to break out to try and reinforce the jnr vs heavyweight struggle dynamic?
    Red Shoes' face when Will hit Okada with a wrist-clutch lariat was just perfect. Also it looked like, from the highlights at least, that they were protecting the Oz Cutter pretty strongly which is interesting. Give me Heavyweight Ospreay pls.

Will you reupp if Taichi beats Tana in the New Japan Cup?

• Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    From tonight's NXT taping spoilers:
    William Regal comes out and announces that the NXT North American Championship will be introduced at NXT TakeOver: New Orleans.
    Huh! I guess the UK belt isn't going to be the secondary NXT title! Or they're going straight for title bloat!

Also, it's going to be awarded to the winner of a six-man ladder match at Takeover. The first person announced for it? EC3. Who's still EC3, he's not returning to Derek Bateman or anything.

Other dudes in that match: Adam Cole, Killian Dain, Velveteen Dream, Lars Sullivan, and Ricochet.

Sprout on
  • Options
    CuvisTheConquerorCuvisTheConqueror They always say "yee haw" but they never ask "haw yee?" Registered User regular
    Sprout wrote: »
    William Regal comes out and announces that the NXT North American Championship will be introduced at NXT TakeOver: New Orleans.
    Huh! I guess the UK belt isn't going to be the secondary NXT title! Or they're going straight for title bloat!

Also, it's going to be awarded to the winner of a six-man ladder match at Takeover. The first person announced for it? EC3. Who's still EC3, he's not returning to Derek Bateman or anything.

Other dudes in that match: Adam Cole, Killian Dain, Velveteen Dream, Lars Sullivan, and Ricochet.
    So... an NXT title represents a larger area of the world than a WWE (US) title?

xderwsaxganu.png
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Sprout wrote: »

This is RAD AS HELL

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    Dex Dynamo wrote: »
    In retrospect, I shouldn't have been surprised that The Miz was a natural on reality TV, but he fit in immediately, and his interactions with Maryse were always a delight.

He also dropped the line, "It feels like I'm back on the Real World," which was chef's kiss.

Miz was hosting this season of The Challenge: Champs vs All Stars and it was so great seeing with other Real World people again. If TJ Lavin wasn’t the perfect Challenge host already, I’d want Miz to take over for a season or two.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Options
    Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »

Will you reupp if Taichi beats Tana in the New Japan Cup?

Without any shadow of a doubt.

Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
  • Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    Zack Ryder has started faving tweets from "The Secret" Twitter account.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    RyZack

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Abbey Laith has been released

Which is a huge fucking bummer

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    LU sent Ryan Satin a cease and desist to stop posting spoilers, and demanded he out his sources to them. Thankfully he told them to fuck off

Cubsfan had a great response
    I understand people not being happy about spoilers being out, and not wanting things out that shouldn’t be out. I can not understand legally threatening people about it. I especially can’t understand going after people for talking what’s being taped for the show in a world where the people who are actually on the show are talking about the show. I know there’s a cage match this weekend because the lead writer posted about it. I know there’s a good chance Tessa Blanchard is on the tapings this weekend because Taya posted a photo with her. I know LAX are in Los Angeles too for no obvious reason, so maybe they’ll be visiting Temple too. I can go on, there is plenty more. I don’t want to because this is not about getting people in trouble, this is about how much comedy it is to think you’re going to keep something like this quiet in 2018.

You can make a case that finding out what happens will diminish people’s interest in what has occurred. I’m not sure that’s conclusively correct, especially with a show on a network (and an advertising budget) the size of El Rey, where any buzz to remind people the show exists is a helpful thing. But let’s run with it: let’s say spoilers are costing them money. Other things costing Lucha Underground money: the lack of LU merchandise, the lack of promotion of the merchandise they do have, the lack of live shows, the lack of a third season streaming deal, the lack of international deals in obvious places like the UK. Somehow, Lucha Libre FMV always has time and money for lawyers and nothing else. It’s that dril tweet come to life. The difference between Lucha Underground being a success and not being a success is not Lucha Underground spoilers. This is all wasted energy when they really do need that energy for other things.

• Options
    edited March 2018
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Abbey Laith has been released

Which is a huge fucking bummer

I was checking her cagematch yesterday since I hadn't heard anything about her being on nxt tv since the MYC. Can't say I'm surprised since it looks like they haven't done anything with her since the tournament.

Regarding the LU spoilers thing, I'd say they absolutely help people get interested in the show which is a niche thing to begin with. And don't forget that the episodes are often so delayed in airing that forgetting vague taping spoilers is totally easy to do.

hailtothekale on
  • Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    The worst part is that she won't be out of the 90 days to work on all the big shows during Wrestlemania weekend.

I guess there are a bunch of non-televised shows to work.

And Chikara is going to have to be prepared for the return of Princess Kimber Lee

• Options
    I'd love to see Princess Kimber Lee in Tokyo Joshi tbh

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Magell wrote: »
    The worst part is that she won't be out of the 90 days to work on all the big shows during Wrestlemania weekend.

I guess there are a bunch of non-televised shows to work.

And Chikara is going to have to be prepared for the return of Princess Kimber Lee

Do they just automatically enforce that? If they were doing nothing with her and she hasn't been let go because of anything she has done, seems like a pointless-dick move to stop her earning her income during the wrestling-Christmas period. It's not like she will draw WWE fans away from their big shows.

AlphaRomero on
  • Options
    I've always thought the 90 days thing is a generic part of the contract.

If you have the money to fight it you'll win as Punk and Del Rio proved, but it's probably not worth it for her.

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    The 90 day thing still applies if they're released?

I thought it only mattered if they asked for the release.

• Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    It still applies

• Options
    411Randle411Randle Librarian Oook.Registered User regular
    The only way it doesn't apply is if the contract ends and they choose not to sign a new one. That's what WWE has been doing a lot lately, because people have been fighting against the non-compete. But if they release you and you still have a contract with them, the 90 days kicks in.

1) Silence 2) Books must be returned by the last date shown 3) Do not interfere with the nature of causality
  • Options
    ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    It will take about five minutes for someone to make a compilation of wrestlers saying that with the WWE logo on the corner, right?

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Probably, but I don't quite see the point of it.

WWE isn't perfect, but they're certainly better than they were 5, 10, 15 years ago.

We went from John Cena rapping gay jokes at The Rock to him walking down the street in a commercial talking about how everyone deserves respect in America, regardless of their religion, sexuality, identity, etc.

The last time I remember anyone calling another wrestling a retard was when Rock called Kane "The Big Red Retard". That's been, what...15 years or so?

We should hold huge companies like WWE responsible for their content (and they certainly still have a ways to go in some respects), but reaching that far back into the past to try and call them out when they've been doing a pretty good job of removing homophobic, transphobic, and sexist material from their shows seems a little silly to me.

Even if it's just for PR (and that is definitely some, if not all, of the reason), I see no reason why we shouldn't be happy they're involved in a good cause.

• Options
    I'm pretty sure I'm all caught up on RoH's Women of Honor Tournament and so far I'd say it's pretty predictable, but that's not totally a bad thing.

I'm leaning toward the final being Tenille Dashwood vs. Kelly Klein with Dashwood handing Klein her first real loss. I wouldn't want to really use Klein's first loss by giving it to Dashwood who is already super over, but I don't think Klein is that good and shouldn't be the first champ.

Brandi is pretty good considering she's only been wrestling for two years. Her match against Stacy Q is my favorite of the first round matches so far.

Mandy Leon is a really inconsistent wrestler. The stuff she does well she does really well, but then there's stuff like her weak ass running kick to Rayne's chest and her shitty forearms. That being said her missile dropkick and running senton off the apron are on point. Her finisher of a pump handle driver is good, but the forearm to the back to set it up is the weakest shit.

• Options
    edited March 2018
    I'm gonna try to get through the first round of the WOH tournament this weekend.

Karen Q is my favorite of the bunch out of the ROH ladies and I wish she'd gone on further. From the few matches I've seen she's great at her character and not afraid to really play up heelish stuff.

hailtothekale on
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    I am thrilled and proud to be able to bring this joy of Rusev Day to the thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7D_oA7H-h2k

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    So CEO is a large fighting game tournament at the end of June in Florida, they have secured a NJPW live event for it.

Guess being friends with Kenny has its perks.

• Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    I hope there's a twitch stream so I can spam Jebaited during a heel turn.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    I feel so bad for ChrisG in that first video.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    So CEO is a large fighting game tournament at the end of June in Florida, they have secured a NJPW live event for it.

Guess being friends with Kenny has its perks.

uh holy moly that’s only an hour and a half from me

i drive farther for FEST, i just might have to check this out

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    facetiousfacetious a wit so dry it shits sandRegistered User regular
    Never feel bad for ChrisG.

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
    Real strong, facetious.

Steam: Chagrin LoL: Bonhomie
This discussion has been closed.