As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[L5R LCG] Imperial cycle has releases faster than One Punch Man fight scenes.

• ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    Honest curiosity: How many people have seen the game already die off locally? I can't fathom it's just around here - I feel like there are a half dozen reasons that the L5R LCG has been doomed since launch. >_>

• tzeentchlingtzeentchling Doctor of Rocks OaklandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2018
    That Dragon monk is ridiculously good. "You will contest... the water ring, despite the fact that all my characters have fate and its your first conflict, and there's no fate on it."

tzeentchling on
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Honest curiosity: How many people have seen the game already die off locally? I can't fathom it's just around here - I feel like there are a half dozen reasons that the L5R LCG has been doomed since launch. >_>

It is completely dead in Washington state.

Hopefully when card releases start again...

• AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Yeah... I think that in retrospect, the 6 packs in 6 weeks gambit probably didn't pay off as the cost of entry is now much higher. I feel the clan packs would've been a much more solid way to start the game.

But more than that, the OP stuff is the real pain point. Our store is only now starting to get in OP for Q1 (technically Q2), and the main pack hasn't arrived yet. I recognize they are shifting up things and L5R was likely rushed, but OP really, REALLY needs to set up its act.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Yeah, I don’t think there was a really good way handle this first cycle as-is. Either things come out too fast and there’s a big lull afterwards, or cards come out too slow and things stagnate anyway.

OP dropping the ball and the general Great Carpenter Wall of Silence of info from FFG is definitely doing them no favors. I mean, all hands are probably on deck for the Legion launch... but they REALLY need to staff up so that every other game that isn’t The New Hotness doesn’t suffer from neglect.

Would it kill them to, say, release a new preview every week? Doesn’t even need a article, they can just post it on Twitter or something.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Yeah, I don’t think there was a really good way handle this first cycle as-is. Either things come out too fast and there’s a big lull afterwards, or cards come out too slow and things stagnate anyway.

OP dropping the ball and the general Great Carpenter Wall of Silence of info from FFG is definitely doing them no favors. I mean, all hands are probably on deck for the Legion launch... but they REALLY need to staff up so that every other game that isn’t The New Hotness doesn’t suffer from neglect.

Would it kill them to, say, release a new preview every week? Doesn’t even need a article, they can just post it on Twitter or something.

I really wish the three brains of FFG would cooperate more. And OP needs a much bigger budget.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    I'm still playing regularly here in Maryland.

Also lol at how OP that Shrine is. And that not bowing spell.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
    Athenor wrote: »
    Yeah... I think that in retrospect, the 6 packs in 6 weeks gambit probably didn't pay off as the cost of entry is now much higher. I feel the clan packs would've been a much more solid way to start the game.

But more than that, the OP stuff is the real pain point. Our store is only now starting to get in OP for Q1 (technically Q2), and the main pack hasn't arrived yet. I recognize they are shifting up things and L5R was likely rushed, but OP really, REALLY needs to set up its act.

It's completely fucking mystifying and infuriating that Wizards of the Coast solved the OP problem 10+* years ago by creating Friday Night Magic, and FFG is still stumbling around going "how do we keep people playing this game???"

*it's old and obvious enough that I can't find the start date.

Yeah, it's mostly died down here in SD, only a few people still playing regularly. Even with tournaments we're only getting 5 or 6. Maybe when the new cards and new prizes come out people will show up again.

admanb wrote: »

It's completely fucking mystifying and infuriating that Wizards of the Coast solved the OP problem 10+* years ago by creating Friday Night Magic, and FFG is still stumbling around going "how do we keep people playing this game???"

Unfortunately, even having a regular LCG night isn't enough in a lot of places. (Apparently, Thursday nights are hard for some people here, and of course Fridays are taken up by Magic.)

I suppose the trappings that come with FNM (rankings, prizes, etc) help, but prize support is also a lot easier for CCGs who can just give out another booster of random cards, while LCGs have to come up with unique, related prizes at cost money to produce beyond more product.

Unfortunately, even having a regular LCG night isn't enough in a lot of places. (Apparently, Thursday nights are hard for some people here, and of course Fridays are taken up by Magic.)

I suppose the trappings that come with FNM (rankings, prizes, etc) help, but prize support is also a lot easier for CCGs who can just give out another booster of random cards, while LCGs have to come up with unique, related prizes at cost money to produce beyond more product.

The trappings absolutely help, and yeah it's easier for CCGs (though FNM also has monthly promos) but it's not that much harder, and it makes a huuuuge difference.

My LGS did monthly X-Wing tournaments with custom-painted ships as prizes in addition to the tournament packs produced by FFG and they were instrumental in keeping that game popular in the store.

edited March 2018
    I do think the new quarterly kits are a step in the right direction, but BOY do they need to get ON THEIR SHIT and keep them coming out regularly. The Q1 one should’ve been out and available in JANUARY. And keep people informed about them. The whole “you have two weeks to order them, hope you heard about this in time” system needs to be overhauled and communication lines need to be blown open.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited March 2018
    My store would play more if we could get it in stock.

That's the trick there.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    I've been wondering what the odds are I can sell off my triple core and all expansions, plus the grand kotei stuff I got. I still love the game, but it's pretty dead. And ultimately it just takes too long to play for the tournament format I'd like to play it in.

What is this I don't even.
    You know, I completely skipped over it, but from the article...
    The Emerald Empire is in a state of change. New champions rise up to lead their clans to honor and glory, strange calamities throw entire regions into chaos, and underneath it all, a Minor Clan looks to elevate their status. The dynamics of the Emerald Empire are shifting. Can the Phoenix rely on their ancient wisdom to keep themselves grounded in the ever-shifting land of Rokugan?

*leans forward in his chair*

I mean, we've had that fiction already... but go on... :D

persona4celestia.jpg
    Inquisitive Ishika from DotV got spoiled by the Art of Warcast.

persona4celestia.jpg
    And also Hida Amoro.

persona4celestia.jpg
    And also Hida Amoro.

*looks at his playstyle*

... Fuck.

It's like Intimidating Hida, but more vicious!

• Dis'Dis' Registered User regular

I mean its hardly a surprise considering they do this silliness for all their games (even the big money spinner of xwing) :(

The core set needed to make more sense. You can potentially justify the first set coming out as fast as it did (there should still be ways around that with a better designed core), but having 1-core games being not really indicative at all of how the game plays, and not even giving you enough cards to build a legal deck is possibly the dumbest thing they've done in an LCG. The first cycle was not the problem - the core set very much was.

The core set needed to make more sense. You can potentially justify the first set coming out as fast as it did (there should still be ways around that with a better designed core), but having 1-core games being not really indicative at all of how the game plays, and not even giving you enough cards to build a legal deck is possibly the dumbest thing they've done in an LCG. The first cycle was not the problem - the core set very much was.

The alternative would be cutting at least 2 clans.

Yeah, and it probably would have been the right call. If the plan was for the first deluxe to be clan specific anyway it could have been one of the core set clans anyway. This was by no means insurmountable.

The 6th Ring podcast got a void spell Event preview from DotV today: Karmic Twist.

persona4celestia.jpg
    Yeah, and it probably would have been the right call. If the plan was for the first deluxe to be clan specific anyway it could have been one of the core set clans anyway. This was by no means insurmountable.

So... which clan gets the axe?

edited March 2018

Unicorn, obv.

(but for real I think we can agree if any faction could've done with another balance pass, it's Unicorn.)

admanb on

I can answer this easily because I have zero stake in the old game or its lore, but Unicorn and Phoenix could have both easily been absent. Though like, at the end of the day, you could probably pick any two that weren't Lion, Crane or Scorpion and it'd be an equal position. You alienate some chunk of the fan base either way, but isn't that better than having a game DOA? :/

edited March 2018
    To be honest I don't think a smaller core set would've affected the post-release depression. The release went really well, but this downturn happens with all of FFG's games because they've never deviated from the big release > big drop-off plan. L5R just had a much faster cycle than their other games.

I also don't think it's dead at all, just dead for now. Tournament packs and new releases will hit and it'll pick back up, if not at the immediate release levels (but that's very rare).

Or to put it another way: if Armada isn't dead, L5R sure as hell isn't.

admanb on
    I like that, but I also don't agree that's the issue I'm arguing. The core set's main problems make the game really shit for casual players, who go a long way for the game's health (especially in the early days) by help keeping the community bigger and often friendlier for other new players. The hyper-release schedule compounded that, but I still think it would have been easier to deal with if one box actually got you into the game and capable of playing it. :/
    You're probably right that it isn't dead (I don't know the Star Wars comparison is a good one because the game could be dead enough and still generating revenue as a tiny Star Wars toy factory), but it's in a very weird place all the same. I'm pretty sure nobody locally wanted to order those tournament kits, because defaulting to 32 was way too high a number for anything that was going to be seen here, and that's a lot of extra overhead for any interested business.

persona4celestia.jpg
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    The clan balance being so incredibly obviously shit is a bit of a compounding factor as well. FOTM is one thing, this is a heavy skew.

What is this I don't even.
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    The clan balance being so incredibly obviously shit is a bit of a compounding factor as well. FOTM is one thing, this is a heavy skew.

6 out of 7 clans being fine seems pretty good to me.

Also, Crane and Dragon apparently just dominated the Paris Kotei today. I'm interested to see what the Crane lists looked like.

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • CerberusCerberus Registered User regular
    Yeah balance is very good imo.

So the second half of Day 1 in Paris was half Scorpion.

http://imperialadvisor.com/wp/2018/03/09

Cerberus wrote: »
    Yeah balance is was very good imo.

Yeah balance is very good imo.
    Cerberus wrote: »
    Yeah balance is was very good imo.

All right, I'll bite. What's wrong currently?

I suspect that is a comment on the huge scorpion showing this weekend in Paris.

Thing is, the meta is still evolving. I remember playing Netrunner back in late Genesis and Spin cycle days, when everyone was trying to figure out the best decks. It is chaotic, and the echo chamber is strong. People are still trying to crack the game. Hell, people are still trying to figure out if it is a game they want and enjoy.

Scorpion's qualification rate wasn't that impressive for Day 1. We'll see how they do in Day 2.

HamHamJ wrote: »
    Scorpion's qualification rate wasn't that impressive for Day 1. We'll see how they do in Day 2.

3 in a row for scorp

And this one was with everyone preparing explicitly for the Scorpion deck.