As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WH40K] The FAQ has arrived

• Options
    TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2018
    I rescued some ancient metal obliterators with bad paint jobs on ebay

I'm excited to redo them and put them up on bigger bases so they can proudly obliterate once more

TIFunkalicious on
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Necron rumours emerge from the mists; five “dynastic codes” (chapter traits) have been unearthed from somewhere:
    1. Advance and fire all weapons as assault weapons
    2. Re-roll close combat in the turn engaged
    3. Re-roll shooting 1’s if stationary
    4. Fixed 6" advance, ignoring terrain
    5. Extra point of AP at half range or less

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Necron rumours emerge from the mists; five “dynastic codes” (chapter traits) have been unearthed from somewhere:

That should be a Tau thing.

Like, just how Tau work, period.

They're The Shooting Guys, guys.

/whiny guy

That's some cool stuff for Necrons cool, if true!

FroThulhu on
  • Options
    BadablackBadablack Registered User regular
    The plagueburst crawler was probably supposed to be a dual kit with another vehicle that would have gone without the big plate, but then something fell through later. Most of their big plastic stuff is dual kits now.

FC: 1435-5383-0883
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    FroThulhu wrote: »
    Mr_Rose wrote: »

That should be a Tau thing.

Like, just how Tau work, period.

They're The Shooting Guys, guys.

/whiny guy

That's some cool stuff for Necrons cool, if true!

They have a few things like that.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    FroThulhuFroThulhu Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    I mean, if your marker lights hit, you can re-roll 1's.

But your markerlights are fired by drones who can't shoot for beans, or Pathfinders, who... aren't particularly good at hitting things?

I don't play T'au

I've bought a few models over the years, but their rules have alway... always... been garbo in a way that reads extremely clearly as GW trying to make an elite shooty army but very specifically not wanting to make power armor bois not the most special of special good boys. Like, the T'au's entire thing, every weird stat choice and hobbled mechanic is transparently engineered to not overshadow Astartes specifically.

Can't be BS 3+, because that's what Space Marines are for!

Can't have good armor on infantry, that's for Marines!

Can't have reliably good guns! Yeah, their basic rifle is a 'better' bolter, but you can't hit shit!

Just give T'au a damn 3+ for shooting. Just do it! /lebouf

Also, I rolled a 6 on my hyperbole test.

FroThulhu on
  • Options
    TraceofToxinTraceofToxin King Nothing Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    I forgot chaos in top tier list, my bad.

People who are saying orks are bad right now sound exactly like all the people who were saying orks were bad when Justin Hildebrandt stomped a bunch of GTs in 5th, or when pajamapants rolled over two GTs successively with them in 6th, or they won a GT at the start of 8th. Yes, almost the entire army list is hot garbage, but there are -very- mathematically strong choices, and played to a specific mission set, they are definitely top tier.

Non standard missions punish orks terribly because they are bad at doing anything but taking up space and locking stuff down, which is ironically the only two things you need to do to win book missions. Comparatively, they are basically worthless for trying to score (At all) on ITC/ETC/whatever missions. You will never score highly in any non-standard missions you do manage to win, and you will still lose many just because you can't score anything but hold ground objectives.

There are almost no TAC lists that can handle 200+ boyz, using standard book misisons, with no time limit, being run by someone who knows how to exploit the assault mechanics. Tyranids, Chaos and IG can throw enough dice to reliably do it even with their TAC lists, while also easily fielding 100+ bodies, which is why they are also top-tier for standard 40k. Look at the gaming scores here from last GT heat - https://i.imgur.com/9Unea5I.jpg.

Eldar are absolutely broken in non-standard missions, but struggle in standard, because they're just really awful at holding ground. Orks are the complete opposite.

This isn't an argument against non-standard format, either. I strongly prefer non-standard, as there are more styles of play that are viable in non-standard than in standard. They are similar, but different games. Standard is much more binary, while non-standard gives many more opportunities for different play styles to be successful. Non-standard is an attempt to balance out some of the issues with standard, and the massive swing in effectiveness of orks from standard to non-standard shows exactly why this is.

TraceofToxin on
    Everyday I wake up is the worst day of my life.
  • Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Grrrrr..... Finecast.

Just opened Lysander, I began snipping stuff off the sprue carefully, and the banner pole broke while snipping a gate next to it.

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    I drilled thru the center of a pole.

It's a very short pole, but still... I drilled thru a pole. Somehow, I repaired this banner pole and pinned it to Lysander's top. And pinned him to the base.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    KhraulKhraul Registered User regular
    Are there actual lists from that GT heat?

I'd like to see what people actually played with

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I drilled thru the center of a pole.

It's a very short pole, but still... I drilled thru a pole. Somehow, I repaired this banner pole and pinned it to Lysander's top. And pinned him to the base.

Well Gw is still cool with replacing stuff as my Illuminor Szeras did not last being stored over the years and They were super cool about replacing his legs as I got them still the thing that sucks is I don't have a hair dryer so bending resin is going to be some guess work

• Options
    You can just run it under hot water, bend it to whatever position you want, then dunk it in ice water.

• Options
    Badablack wrote: »
    You can just run it under hot water, bend it to whatever position you want, then dunk it in ice water.

That is what I thought but it's his really thin legs is why I am wary to do it again

• Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Burnage wrote: »
    Orks might be binary but they're a hell of a roadblock for a lot of armies currently. If you can't kill enough of what could easily be hundreds of Boyz before they get into close combat then you lose.

Any TAC list can handle boyz no problem. They aren't that tough, they have terrible saves. And outside of the da' jump are not that fast. And they hit on a 5+ with shooting and no re-rolls. Orks just are bleh at the moment. I think they feel like the super heavy list. Not really great verse well planned lists but will smash folks who are new. Gatekeeper list is a good way to put it. But at the moment they are not that strong. Hell even in close combat I find them middling. Though the last game I played verse orks I had Kharn running around. Dude could cream a unit of orks a turn by himself.

Rerolling charges, 3+ to hit, S4, T4, and 4 attacks for just 6 points really doesn't seem like a middling close combat unit to me. Add in a potential ability to advance and charge in the same turn, +1 to hit in combat, +2 attacks, a 5++ save and a 6+++ save from auras and buffs and they get downright scary.

It's not going to surprise me if they get a light nerf in either the March FAQ or the Ork Codex. Literally hundreds of Boyz armed with Clan traits or whatever the Orks get will be horrifying to deal with if they don't.

Burnage on
  • Options
    Put together a Tyranid shrike out of spare Warrior bits. One of the best sprues GW puts out, it actually comes with the maximum of every option a squad can take.
    Ulw6uIL.jpg

They seem alright. Squad of 3 with deathspitters, flesh hooks and bone swords is a good Swiss Army knife for all threats. Jump up 12, fire off 15 shots, then go in with 12 ap2 attacks. At 105 points I’d run them next to squads of Genestealers for synapse that can keep up without bringing an overpriced Broodlord. Keep it Leviathan for the 6+ FNP, then pop the Leviathan strat for rerolled 1’s on hits/wounds on everything for all squads. Should delete whatever the genestealers touch.

• Options
    TraceofToxinTraceofToxin King Nothing Registered User regular
    Grrrrr..... Finecast.

Just opened Lysander, I began snipping stuff off the sprue carefully, and the banner pole broke while snipping a gate next to it.

Finecast is cancer. I'm sorry you had to experience this.

Everyday I wake up is the worst day of my life.
  • Options
    VahraanVahraan Registered User regular
    ++ Outrider Detachment +1CP (Chaos - Death Guard) [43 PL, 852pts] ++

+ HQ +

Malignant Plaguecaster [6 PL, 110pts]: 5. Putrescent Vitality, 6. Curse of the Leper

+ Fast Attack +

Foetid Bloat-drone [8 PL, 158pts]: 2x Plaguespitters, Plague probe

Foetid Bloat-drone [8 PL, 158pts]: 2x Plaguespitters, Plague probe

Myphitic Blight-haulers [21 PL, 426pts]
    . Myphitic Blight-hauler: Bile spurt, Missile launcher, Multi-melta

++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (Chaos - Death Guard) [64 PL, 1137pts] ++

+ HQ +

Chaos Lord in Terminator Armour [6 PL, 113pts]: 6. Arch-Contaminator, Balesword, Combi-bolter, Fugaris' Helm, Warlord

Malignant Plaguecaster [6 PL, 110pts]: 1. Miasma of Pestilence, 4. Blades of Putrefaction

+ Troops +

Plague Marines [18 PL, 300pts]
    . Plague Champion: Boltgun, Plague knife, Power fist
    . 6x Plague Marine w/ boltgun
    . Plague Marine w/ melee weapons: Flail of Corruption
    . Plague Marine w/ melee weapons: Bubotic Axe
    . Plague Marine w/ Special Weapon: Plague Belcher
    . Plague Marine w/ Special Weapon: Blight launcher

Plague Marines [10 PL, 158pts]
    . Plague Champion: Plague knife, Plasma gun
    . 4x Plague Marine w/ boltgun
    . Plague Marine w/ Special Weapon: Plasma gun
    . Plague Marine w/ Special Weapon: Plasma gun

Poxwalkers [6 PL, 120pts]: 20x Poxwalker

Poxwalkers [6 PL, 120pts]: 20x Poxwalker

+ Elites +

Biologus Putrifier [4 PL, 74pts]

Foul Blightspawn [4 PL, 77pts]

Noxious Blightbringer [4 PL, 65pts]: Plasma pistol

++ Total: [107 PL, 1989pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe
    86frcbh640ws.png

What do you guys think of this list? I'm thinking of making this my first 2000pt target, after getting two Dark Imperium boxes. Finishing this off requires 2-3 characters (depending on if I can get away with proxying the Lord of Contagion from the box as a Chaos Lord), 1x Plague Marine box and the 3x Myphitic Blight-Haulers.

I really feel the lack of Typhus for the pox walkers, but I'd also like to stay away from named characters/the lord gives me easy access to a +1 to hit aura, which I feel may be important.

Basic battle plan is to send the plasma squad, Bloat Drones, and Myphitics off hunting their favorite targets, obviously near the main attack line if possible. Speaking of...

The thrust is a death star of 14 Plague Marines. They get screened by the 2 units of 20 Poxwalkers, take the stratagem that keeps them untargetable while the poxes are out front. When they get in range, pop Blight bombardment to toss out 14 blight grenades for 14d6 D2 bolter shots, rerolling 1s if the Lord is nearby, rerolling wounds with the Putrifier if he is nearby (he will be), inflicting mortal wounds on 5+. Then assaulting in, hopefully with buffs, to smach anything left even close to alive around with tons of attacks.

I don't know if this is enough to get them across the board, but I figure it can at least act as a decent anvil that the faster units/ranged units can help hammer stuff into.

I'm mainly looking for cheap ways to build up to a 2000 point list after the Dark Imperium boxes. Eventually, I'd like some PBCs, some cultists, Typhus, Mortarion, a Demon Prince... but I want something to shoot for first.

PSN: Gumbotron88 3DS FC: 0018-3695-0013 (Devon)
  • Options
    If you’re planning on running the CC marines behind the poxwalkers, make sure to keep the zombies ranked thin so you have room to assault past with the marines.

• Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    Eldar are absolutely broken in non-standard missions, but struggle in standard, because they're just really awful at holding ground. Orks are the complete opposite.

This isn't an argument against non-standard format, either. I strongly prefer non-standard, as there are more styles of play that are viable in non-standard than in standard. They are similar, but different games. Standard is much more binary, while non-standard gives many more opportunities for different play styles to be successful. Non-standard is an attempt to balance out some of the issues with standard, and the massive swing in effectiveness of orks from standard to non-standard shows exactly why this is.
    I agree with everything you said and also know you're not arguing against or for standard versus non-standard, but, I just can't behind non-standard. There just always seems to be too much arbitrary stuff that removes me from the immersion (geek alert) of two armies trying to kill each other.

Like anything that is a disincentive to destroying the opposing army with no lore reason kills my mood.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Built a Lord for my Iron Warriors detachment. He will be bravely bringing the fight to the Imperium behind a shield of cultists and tanks
    57vtnkshozni.jpg
    pw79jh71b1ks.jpg

TIFunkalicious on
  • Options
    Iron Warriors Lords might as well be posed laying in a lounge chair for all the actual fighting they do.

• Options
    So in finding my Tau army I noticed I have the old fire warriors is there anything different about just having the pulse rifle?
    It looks like I just have 20?

I have a ton of suits though because I found this with them
    wtfgpa586usa.png
    I have a ton of Devilfish and one? Hammerhead.

I don't have a commander as someone else bought his and I remember trying to get Shadowsun's armor to make it look like the Dawn of War leader
    q3k35hp7my9g.png

The force was not mine I got it off someone who quit back in 08? and they were divesting themselves of most of their 40k stuff because they were getting married {he literally said after a game he was selling his army and whatever he brought with him for offers {I hate asking what people want when they say make an offer as I feel I will either say too much or to little}

I know I would like to strip it but the Devilfish scare me since they don't fit in the bottle and it's going to take a lot of scrubbing to get them back to bare plastic

• Options
    Or l17ef82f3szw.jpg

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Forgebane pre-orders next week, that's faster than I thought.

Guess I need to make my decision on what flavor of elite army I should start. Been juggling between:

Pure Primaris force
    Pure Custodes force
    Knight + 2 armigers + supporting AdMech force

Trying to think which will be the most fun to play both with and against.

I'm thinking the Knight list? Cool centerpiece model, and 8th made superheavies actually not awful to play against, is my understanding. I do worry slightly about it getting blasted off the table turn 1, but I'm hoping between like, rotate ion shields, repair, and machine spirit resurgence it will be able to get some work done.

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Aw fuck that's too soon.

Caught between my deep, deep disappointment with AdMech and especially how it interacts with Knights and also my love of getting new giant robot models.
    Seriously I'm maybe a little bit miffed that everyone since us has giant centerpiece LoW units that benefit from their army special rules and characters while ours isn't even in the same dang faction as the rest of the book and requires a babysitter and a command point to benefit from the Canticles table.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Yeah, reading up on that that seems rather... daft?

But I imagine the eventual result will be taking an AdMech battalion detachment and a Knight Super Heavy Detachment and getting to mix and match your forgeworld with your knight house? Which will be neat?

But in the meantime, having a keyword in a codex that currently does literally nothing is just weird.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Forgebane pre-orders next week, that's faster than I thought.

Guess I need to make my decision on what flavor of elite army I should start. Been juggling between:

Pure Primaris force
    Pure Custodes force
    Knight + 2 armigers + supporting AdMech force

Trying to think which will be the most fun to play both with and against.

I'm thinking the Knight list? Cool centerpiece model, and 8th made superheavies actually not awful to play against, is my understanding. I do worry slightly about it getting blasted off the table turn 1, but I'm hoping between like, rotate ion shields, repair, and machine spirit resurgence it will be able to get some work done.

Can you go with a knight and a swarm of IG Sentinels following it around like baby ducks?

• Options
    frayfray Registered User regular
    On the flipside the 1cp strat that lets a vehicle use the top row of its damage table works on knights right? Which seems pretty good.

"I told you," said Ford. "Eddies in the space-time continuum."
    "And this is his sofa, is it?" said Arthur.
  • Options
    So I played a game today that was like me proxing 90% of the army outside my Tzaangors and cultist. Well the Defy, Maulerfiend, and DP which are all painted as my Emp's Children set up. My opponent is one of the bros I know in the club whose army I have played a lot and he was down for it. It was a 2k vs 2k game. I guess there were rules but basically just went off cards plus Linebreaker, Fist Blood, King Slayer and so on. The normal stuff.

My list:
    +++ New Roster (Warhammer 40,000 8th Edition) +++

++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (Chaos - Thousand Sons) ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Relics of the Thousand Sons (2 Relics)
    . Categories: No Force Org Slot

+ HQ +

Ahriman: Death Hex, Temporal Manipulation, Tzeentch's Firestorm, Warlord
    . Categories: Heretic Astartes, Thousand Sons, Tzeentch, Character, HQ, Infantry, Psyker, Sorcerer, Ahriman, Chaos, Warlord

Daemon Prince of Tzeentch: Dark Matter Crystal, Flickering Flames, Gaze of Fate, Malefic talon, Warp bolter, Wings
    . Categories: HQ, Character, Daemon, Monster, Heretic Astartes, Psyker, Thousand Sons, Tzeentch, Daemon Prince, Chaos, Fly

+ Troops +

Chaos Cultists: 11x Chaos Cultist w/ Autogun
    . Categories: Troops, Heretic Astartes, Infantry, Thousand Sons, Tzeentch, Chaos, Chaos Cultists
    . Cultist Champion: Autogun

. Categories: Troops, Heretic Astartes, Infantry, Thousand Sons, Tzeentch, Chaos, Chaos Cultists

+ Heavy Support +

Defiler: Defiler scourge, Reaper autocannon
    . Categories: Heavy Support, Daemon, Daemon Engine, Heretic Astartes, Vehicle, Thousand Sons, Tzeentch, Chaos, Defiler

Maulerfiend: Lasher tendrils
    . Categories: Heavy Support, Daemon, Daemon Engine, Heretic Astartes, Vehicle, Thousand Sons, Tzeentch, Chaos, Maulerfiend

+ HQ +

Exalted Sorcerer: Force stave, Glamour of Tzeentch, Helm of the Third Eye, Inferno Bolt Pistol, Prescience
    . Categories: HQ, Character, Heretic Astartes, Thousand Sons, Tzeentch, Infantry, Sorcerer, Exalted Sorcerer, Psyker, Chaos

Sorcerer in Terminator Armour: Familiar, Force sword, Inferno Combi-bolter, Prescience, Warptime
    . Categories: HQ, Character, Infantry, Psyker, Terminator, Thousand Sons, Tzeentch, Chaos, Heretic Astartes, Sorcerer

+ Elites +

Tzaangor Shaman: Boon of Mutation, Force stave
    . Categories: Chaos, Character, Daemon, Fly, Elites, Cavalry, Heretic Astartes, Psyker, Thousand Sons, Tzeentch, Tzaangor Shaman

+ Fast Attack +

Tzaangor Enlightened: Aviarch, 2x Enlightened, Fatecaster greatbows
    . Categories: Cavalry, Chaos, Daemon, Fast Attack, Fly, Heretic Astartes, Thousand Sons, Enlightened, Tzeentch, Tzaangors

+ Troops +

Rubric Marines
    . Categories: Psyker, Infantry, Heretic Astartes, Tzeentch, Troops, Thousand Sons, Rubric Marines, Chaos
    . Aspiring Sorcerer: Force stave, Inferno Bolt Pistol, Weaver of Fates
    . 17x Rubric Marine w/ Inferno Boltgun: 17x Inferno boltgun
    . Rubric Marine w/ Soulreaper cannon: Soulreaper cannon

Rubric Marines
    . Categories: Psyker, Infantry, Heretic Astartes, Tzeentch, Troops, Thousand Sons, Rubric Marines, Chaos
    . Aspiring Sorcerer: Force stave, Glamour of Tzeentch, Inferno Bolt Pistol
    . 8x Rubric Marine w/ Inferno Boltgun: 8x Inferno boltgun

Tzaangors: Brayhorn, Icon of Flame, 19x Tzaangor w/ Tzaangor Blades
    . Categories: Troops, Infantry, Chaos, Tzeentch, Tzaangors, Heretic Astartes, Thousand Sons
    . Twistbray: Tzaangor blades

++ Total: [125 PL, 1987pts] ++

My opponents Inquisition/GK List from memory:

++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (Imperium - Grey Knights) ++

+ Flyer +

Stormraven Gunship: 2x Stormstrike Missile Launcher, Twin Heavy Bolter, Twin Lascannon
    . Categories: Adeptus Astartes, Flyer, Fly, Grey Knights, Imperium, Transport, Vehicle, Stormraven Gunship

+ HQ +

Grand Master in Nemesis Dreadknight: 4: First to the Fray, Dreadfist, Dreadknight teleporter, Heavy Psycannon, Nemesis Greatsword, Sanctuary, Warlord
    . Categories: Adeptus Astartes, Vehicle, Grey Knights, Imperium, Nemesis Dreadknight, HQ, Grand Master, Character

Grand Master in Nemesis Dreadknight: Dreadfist, Dreadknight teleporter, Gate of Infinity, Gatling Psilencer, Nemesis Greatsword
    . Categories: Adeptus Astartes, Vehicle, Grey Knights, Imperium, Nemesis Dreadknight, HQ, Grand Master, Character

+ Troops +

Strike Squad: Hammerhand
    . Categories: Adeptus Astartes, Grey Knights, Imperium, Infantry, Psyker, Troops
    . Grey Knight (Daemon Hammer): Nemesis Daemon Hammer, Storm Bolter
    . 3x Grey Knight (Sword): 3x Storm Bolter
    . Grey Knight Justicar: Nemesis Force Sword, Storm bolter

. Categories: Adeptus Astartes, Grey Knights, Imperium, Infantry, Psyker, Troops
    . Grey Knight (Daemon Hammer): Nemesis Daemon Hammer, Storm Bolter
    . 3x Grey Knight (Sword): 3x Storm Bolter

. 8x Grey Knight (Sword): 8x Storm Bolter
    . Grey Knight (Warding Stave): Storm Bolter

++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (Imperium - Astra Militarum) ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Regimental Doctrine: Millitarum Tempestus

+ Dedicated Transport +

Taurox Prime: Taurox Gatling Cannon, Two Hot-shot Volley Guns
    . Categories: Tempestus Scions, Astra Militarum, Dedicated Transport, Imperium, Militarum Tempestus, Taurox Prime, Transport, Vehicle

. Categories: Tempestus Scions, Astra Militarum, Dedicated Transport, Imperium, Militarum Tempestus, Taurox Prime, Transport, Vehicle

+ HQ +

Tempestor Prime: Bolt Pistol
    . Categories: Tempestus Scions, Astra Militarum, HQ, Imperium, Infantry, Character, Officer, Tempestor Prime, Militarum Tempestus

Tempestor Prime: Bolt Pistol
    . Categories: Tempestus Scions, Astra Militarum, HQ, Imperium, Infantry, Character, Officer, Tempestor Prime, Militarum Tempestus

+ Elites +

Militarum Tempestus Command Squad
    . Categories: Tempestus Scions, Astra Militarum, Elites, Imperium, Infantry, Tempestus Scions, Tempestus Command Squad, Militarum Tempestus
    . Tempestus Scion: Plasma gun

+ Troops +

Militarum Tempestus Scions
    . Categories: Astra Militarum, Tempestus Scions, Troops, Astra Militarum, Imperium, Infantry, Tempestus Scions, Militarum Tempestus
    . 2x Scion: 2x Hot-shot Lasgun
    . Scion w/ Special Weapon: Plasma gun
    . Tempestor: Chainsword, Hot-shot Laspistol

. Categories: Astra Militarum, Tempestus Scions, Troops, Astra Militarum, Imperium, Infantry, Tempestus Scions, Militarum Tempestus

++ Total: [107 PL, 2001pts] ++

I think I had 13 points in random things like a combi flamer on the defiler or something. I never used it. This is not a tight list in anyway. It is very much me playing with toys to figure out what I want to buy. I have 3 more bows waiting to be built for Sigmar and 3 I am building with spears for Sigmar. I might get up to 9 bows but that is an a-hole list in AoS though and that is a friendly game for me.

The Tzaangors went into the webway and the termisorc dropped with them in back. The (run) DMC was to drop the 20 man rubric squad where in the back line it best fit.

He went first and had supremacy, take objective 6, and something else easy I think an objective near his deployment. He deepstruck his 2 5 man squads and the baby knights into my front lines. His Taurox's had his temepestus in them. One of the commanders in there too and another holding a back line objective.

And then the dark gods cursed his dice. His shooting kills some cultist, 3 rubrics split between two squads and take some wounds off the fiend and the Defiler. He doesn't charge into my cultist wall as that would of been bad. He does get a strike squad into the 20 man rubric I left a flank open but he lost 3 going in from overwatch. He got a few spells off but I canceled most of them. So many psykers.

Just a poor dice turn. By the end I gave him one of my extra dice which really did turn the game around as he stopped rolling a 1 every 3 dice or more. GW dice, not even once. And not the nice ones.

My turn, god I need Thousand Sons cards to remember all my spells, I heal the maulerfiend. I nuke the stormraven. I teleport my 20 man squad of Rubrics to the back line and get an objective I needed. I drop in my tzaangors, warptime them right to a charge place near an objective I needed and to shutdown two of the 3 tauroxes shooting.

I also death hexed his warlord with sanctuary with Ahriman. The maulerfiend kills with out the lasher tendrils. My DP fumbles his attacks. My Deffy kills the other GM baby knight. I get all my cards, first blood, and slay the warlord.

His second turn his scions jump out. Tauroxes move out. The 10 man strike squad jumps out of the Stormraven and moves toward the at the moment 17 man squad behind them.

Plasmas kill the defiler, first time in a game verse him my deffy died still has 3 GM kills to his name though. Stormraven kills the maulerfiend. The light arms kills some cultist and the left over plasma and such kill all buy 3 Tzaangors by the end of this turn. He gets a lot of points. I also lose my DP to a charge and bad rolls. At this point across my sorcs I had 3 mortal wounds with boxcars. By the end all but 2 wounds, including after healing himself, were from boxcars on the Ahriman.

My turn I assassinate one of the tempestus primes. Kill a few scions. Get the Stormraven to 5 wounds with smites. And pull out the last 4 of my rubrics from the scary strike squad letting me shoot them. Get my defense stuff on both rubric squads. By the end of this I had cleaned up some scions, shut down a taurox shooting and didn't kill a single one of the the tying strike squads.

Big things from the following turns:
    Ahriman surviving all the fire from the stormraven on 1 wound and then healing only 1 wound on temporal manipulation which is important.

Smiting the Stormraven with a d6 smite to kill it.

The solo strike squad member I could bloody kill with a ton of fire who made all his saves rolls boxcars on his smite. This kills Ahriman giving him slay the warlord+kingslayer which gives him the game by a single point.

It was a close game.

So thoughts on Tsons, they are a fun army but they take a ton of book keeping with their spells and the fact my army could cast 12 of them. In a weird way GK were probably not the best test game because it was psyker verse psyker and his deepstrike meant I didn't really need my +6" range on my spells. Also I am not sure I even knew what I could do half the time. First games are like that with a codex.

Rubrics are tough as hell. Especially with glamor and/or weaver on them. Having a 3+/4++ that is a 2+/3++ verse 1D weapons is great and they can be -1 to hit too. They are beastly and absorb a ton of firepower. I was actually impressed. -2 bolters were also better than I thought they would be. I had trouble verse the Stormraven which I don't have nearly as much trouble with my CSM army. I think having a pred line with Tsons is a great way to go.

Seriously a neat army and I do think it is worth putting in the cash to build out now. I think having a daemon detachment with them will help a lot verse some of the things. And Tzeentch Daemons are pretty decent.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    I am buying forgebane for the necron stuff as I have none of that
    I bought the Admech codex but I have been quite busy with work so I have not been able to really read it so I feel I might build a small force of them and see what it's like in the smaller games I usually play

• Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    Glad you had fun with the TSons, Mazzyx. Sounds like it was a crazy game and I think you're right, that opponent seems rough for the TSons when you can't abuse your +6 inch range.

Rubrics are a lot of fun and tough as nails. As a Death Guard player, I'm actually envious of them.

I will say TSons feel subject to RNG more than my DG, though. If they have a crappy psychic phase, oof, it hurts.

So the leaks indicate that the Tesseract Vault for the Necrons is preeeeeeeeetty good now. Naturally, it's sold out.

Tomb Blades also seem Dark Reaper level of broken and I am bitter I only have 6.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    Yeah after playing a pure Tsons army I do think they will do better as a support attachment for my normal CSM than running them pure. The normal CSM are consistent and hold up the non-psyker phases for Tsons. They are also bring the high str, high ap guns that Tsons are missing in large numbers.

Also having 12-15 psychic powers a turn though is a lot of book work and till you have every single one memorized and planned out that phase is a bit of a chore.

I am thinking probably a good set of 20 rubrics, upping my Tzaangors to 30, and then making some of my cultist to fill out that battalion. Then put my normal Noise marine battalion just two squads+cultist. Then abuse the Webway/DMC to get the tzaangors and/or rubrics where they need to be.

Tsons DP are great for the same cost as my Slaanesh one, and my dude is already blue. Exalted Sorcs/termi sorcs/ and just sorcs from the Tsons are great too.

This leaves enough room and points to play with some big adds like my maulerfiend, oblits, havocs, or my termi squads.

Edit:

Maybe a list like this-

++ Battalion Detachment +3CP (Chaos - Chaos Space Marines) ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Legion: Emperor's Children

+ Heavy Support +

Obliterators: Mark of Slaanesh, 3x Obliterator
    . Categories: Heavy Support, Heretic Astartes, Daemon, Infantry, Chaos, <Legion>, <Mark of Chaos>, Cult of Destruction, Slaanesh

+ HQ +

Chaos Lord: Combi-flamer, Lightning Claw, Mark of Slaanesh
    . Categories: HQ, Chaos Lord, Character, Heretic Astartes, Infantry, <Legion>, <Mark of Chaos>, Chaos, Slaanesh

Chaos Lord with Jump Pack: Chainsword, Mark of Slaanesh, Plasma pistol
    . Categories: HQ, Chaos, Chaos Lord, Character, Fly, Infantry, Jump Pack, <Legion>, <Mark of Chaos>, Slaanesh

+ Elites +

Chaos Terminators: Mark of Slaanesh
    . Categories: <Legion>, <Mark of Chaos>, Chaos, Elites, Infantry, Terminator, Slaanesh
    . Chaos Terminator Champion: Combi-plasma, Power axe
    . Terminator: Combi-plasma, Power axe

+ Troops +

Chaos Cultists: Mark of Slaanesh
    . Categories: Troops, Heretic Astartes, Infantry, Chaos, Slaanesh
    . 14x Chaos Cultist w/ Autogun
    . Chaos Cultist w/ special weapon: Heavy stubber

Noise Marines
    . Categories: Chaos, Heretic Astartes, Infantry, Slaanesh, <Legion>, Emperor's Children, Troops
    . Marine w/ Blastmaster: Blastmaster
    . 3x Marine w/ Sonic blaster: 3x Sonic Blaster
    . Noise Champion: Bolt pistol, Sonic blaster

Noise Marines
    . Categories: Chaos, Heretic Astartes, Infantry, Slaanesh, <Legion>, Emperor's Children, Troops
    . Marine w/ Blastmaster: Blastmaster
    . 3x Marine w/ Sonic blaster: 3x Sonic Blaster
    . Noise Champion: Bolt pistol, Sonic blaster

+ No Force Org Slot +

Relics of the Thousand Sons (2 Relics)

+ Heavy Support +

Defiler: Defiler scourge, Reaper autocannon
    . Categories: Heavy Support, Daemon, Daemon Engine, Heretic Astartes, Vehicle, Thousand Sons, Tzeentch, Chaos, Defiler

Maulerfiend: Lasher tendrils
    . Categories: Heavy Support, Daemon, Daemon Engine, Heretic Astartes, Vehicle, Thousand Sons, Tzeentch, Chaos, Maulerfiend

+ HQ +

Daemon Prince of Tzeentch: Dark Matter Crystal, Gaze of Fate, Malefic talon, Warp bolter, Warptime, Wings
    . Categories: HQ, Character, Daemon, Monster, Heretic Astartes, Psyker, Thousand Sons, Tzeentch, Daemon Prince, Chaos, Fly

Sorcerer: Force sword, Helm of the Third Eye, Inferno Bolt Pistol, Prescience, Temporal Manipulation
    . Categories: HQ, Heretic Astartes, Psyker, Thousand Sons, Tzeentch, Chaos, Character, Infantry, Sorcerer

+ Troops +

Chaos Cultists
    . 14x Chaos Cultist w/ Autogun
    . Chaos Cultist w/ special weapon: Heavy stubber

Rubric Marines
    . Aspiring Sorcerer: Force stave, Inferno Bolt Pistol, Weaver of Fates
    . 9x Rubric Marine w/ Inferno Boltgun: 9x Inferno boltgun

Tzaangors: Brayhorn, 19x Tzaangor w/ Tzaangor Blades
    . Categories: Troops, Infantry, Chaos, Tzeentch, Tzaangors, Heretic Astartes, Thousand Sons
    . Twistbray: Tzaangor blades

++ Total: [122 PL, 1997pts] ++

Rubrics can be moved by the DMC. The helm helps with CPs. The Tzaangors are deepstrike distraction. I have my plasma termis with lord support. And with the range on the sorcs I can buff them too. The big boy daemon engines with the heal are really tough for Tsons. Cultist screen in there of course. Also Noise marines are some of the best back line holders with the blastmasters giving me range power. The oblits are just well amazing.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    NorgothNorgoth cardiffRegistered User regular
    You know what the best thing about the Tsons codex is?

Confirmation that a helbrute isn’t a giant mutated dude with a tiny face, but is in fact a tiny angry man in a like womb sac, evangelion style, with his face poking out. Apparently they are removable and between battles they remove them and hang them up.

Which is hilarious to me.

The Tsons codex is also home to the biggest lore-rules disconnect I have ever seen, because Tzaangor Shamans are explicity not psykers, but instead act as a living gateway for tzeentch himself. Actual gateway for a Chaos god to touch the mortal real . Cast one/deny one.

• Options
    Norgoth wrote: »
    You know what the best thing about the Tsons codex is?

Confirmation that a helbrute isn’t a giant mutated dude with a tiny face, but is in fact a tiny angry man in a like womb sac, evangelion style, with his face poking out. Apparently they are removable and between battles they remove them and hang them up.

The Tsons codex is also home to the biggest lore-rules disconnect I have ever seen, because Tzaangor Shamans are explicity not psykers, but instead act as a living gateway for tzeentch himself. Actual gateway for a Chaos god to touch the mortal real . Cast one/deny one.

If you haven't read the books on Bile this shows up there too. Though a little differently. Diamat is a helbrute/contemptor dread in those books and they tend to leave him in the coffin but don't have to.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    A giant set of Necron leaks.

https://youtu.be/A4QE4DkviDI

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    I'm thinking about adding a tsons comand Detachment to my death guard, just to abuse the Thousand Sons psychic powers ... 3 sorcerer's or exalted sorcerers. Or maybe two Sorcerers and Ahriman.

The friend I play with with most frequently plays grey Knights and currently I don't have a ton of ways to counter all the psychic powers he's dumping my way

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    Norgoth wrote: »

Chaos Squats confirmed?

Bnet - Khraul#1822
    Gamertag - Khraul
    PSN - Razide6
  • Options
    italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    Man, I knew someone had to be last, but why was it Dark Eldar? :(

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Man, I knew someone had to be last, but why was it Dark Eldar? :(

At least we're not last last. Plenty of factions left that have no information on when their Codex is coming, or if they're even getting a Codex.

• Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    I have an acquaintance who is very cross about Space Wolves.

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
This discussion has been closed.