As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

One Week in Seville

ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
So, in a couple of weeks, my family and I (wife, two kids ages 2.5 and 6) will be spending Holy Week in Seville, Spain.

My sister is working there, and has some ideas on what to do, but is also asking us what we want to do.

So, PA forums, what’s fun to do in Seville?

• Options
    In the event it helps, we’re planning a day trip to Cadiz, and have a tour of the Alcazar Real lined up already.

I am a huge history buff, and am really looking forward to anything Roman or Moorish we can find. I’m super excited to see things I otherwise only know through, e.g., Crusader Kings and related research.

• Options
    Oh - also, my wife and I are getting at least one date night while we’re there.

Anyone have a great restaurant suggestion that doesn’t require being super dressed up? Mostly, because we just don’t want to pack fancy, fancy clothes.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Cadiz is lovely. There's also a lot of interesting ruins and history in Malaga.
    I don't have any Seville restaurant recs, but the nice thing about Spain is you don't have to go fancy to get a fantastic meal.

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    Malaga and Gibraltar are both close and worth a visit

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BasarBasar IstanbulRegistered User regular
    Spain is an amazing country. Rich history, very friendly people, delicious food and wine.
    Seville is very close to Granada, 2-3 hour drive. You can do a day trip and see the Alhambra Palace.
    Do you plan on seeing Madrid? It's also very easy and quick to reach with Renfe high speed train, it takes less than 3 hours.

i live in a country with a batshit crazy president and no, english is not my first language

• Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    If you're into Roman history, it's hard to go wrong with Italica. It's located near the town of Santiponce which is close to Sevilla. Among other things, it contains the largest preserved Roman amphitheater outside of Italy. This was the highlight my trip there when I was there nearly 12 years ago.

• Options
    TaerakTaerak Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Seville in Holy Week is absolutely amazing. Everybody is out and about with their families, and on their Sunday best - thoroughly enjoyed the vibe.

That said, for the same reason, it's also crowded and the multiple daily processions can make it difficult to navigate. Don't expect to get anywhere quickly, or rely on Google maps for accurate foot navigation, because entire streets can be closed of, or if not, you're forced along with the flow of the crowd. If you're uncomfortable with or anxious in crowds, this can become an issue so check with your sister about the best times to go out and explore, as the procession times are published in advance. Just be aware you won't be able to avoid all processions.

Edit: About the processions, unless you're religious yourself, I mostly found them not worth the time after the first one - mostly because it's hard to time. If you want to see the floats, they're on display in the different chapter churches during the day.

In general, all the most interesting sights in Seville are clustered around the older part of the city. The Alcazar, the Cathedral of Seville, the Plaza Espana as well as many other smaller churches, tombs and religious sites are all in close vicinity of each other and are all worth a visit. If you're a fan of Moorish architecture, the Alcazar is a must-see: it's basically a smaller version of Alhambra in Grenada, with amazing architecture and gardens which are beautiful in the spring heat. Do check the bottom of this post about the Alhambra though - I always recommend seeing the most awesome sights first ;-).

The riverbank also contains the bullfighting arena and many smaller restaurants and bars which are excellent places to while away a few hours. Across the river is the Triana district, which is the artisan's district which can be a nice walk as well.

I can't remember where we ate during the week - we just grabbed whatever we fancied. Be aware a lot of places will be very touristy and offer the same food - still good, but a bit overpriced. The distinguished restaurants will be a bit out of the way. Do go to some of the food courts which you can find clustered around the bridges - your sister will probably know where it is. It's just plain fun to sit outside at night along with the rest of the city and grab a few tapas and beers.

Further afield:

I would not recommend going to Madrid if you only have a week, even if you can get there by train in three hours. There's plenty to do there, and there's more than enough in the general region to keep you occupied without cramming in the capital as well. Madrid is also a city that benefits from planning your day, rather than ambling about in a relaxed fashion.

Ronda is a good day trip, as it's a very unique town draped over two cliffs separated by a gorge and it's not too far from where you're at.

Granada is a place everyone needs to see once in their life purely for the Alhambra, especially if you're a fan of architecture and history. If you go, try and make it for the first thing in the morning as the heat and crowds can be punishing during the afternoon. You can and should book in advance. It's also worth seeing the Alhambra before the Alcazar in Seville. The city itself also has an awesome old district.

Cordoba is also relatively close - again, loads of cool Moorish architecture, but it's similar to Seville in some ways so I think you could leave it and have no regrets.

Malaga is like the combination of Madrid, Seville, Cordoba and Grenada - something for everyone, from shopping to the old Moorish castle, and cathedrals. It's a cool because you can go through an alley filled with shops, open up onto a bar's terrace looking at the castle itself, all in a 2 minute walk.

Edit: restructured this post so it makes more sense.

Taerak on
  • Options
    TaerakTaerak Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Oh, I remember the restaurant we ate at for my birthday: El Traga. It's been a long time; but it seems it still has excellent reviews after 4 years, so that's generally a good sign.

Edit: and it's not dress up fancy, but most restaurant in Europe don't have a dress code as they'd lose most of their business!

Taerak on