As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Vaccination:Clark County Washington, Failing the rest of the state Since Inception

• Options
    V1mV1m Registered User regular
    bowen wrote: »
    Drascin wrote: »
    Mortious wrote: »
    Nobody wrote: »
    Calica wrote: »
    Exactly how many religions are against vaccinations? Most religions were founded and their holy books written well before vaccinations were a thing.

It's more that people who don't want vaccines for whatever reason can use religion as a flimsy excuse that no one can really question because it's a matter of faith.

Pretty much the same as every other time religion is used as an excuse for [X].

Some religions do preach against some medical procedures, like Jehovah's Witnesses against blood transfusion and Scientologists against mental healthcare. But I've never heard of a religion preaching against a vaccination. So in all seriousness, are there any?

The Dutch Reformed Church apparently, based on the belief that it interferes with the relationship with God.

Also Christian Scientists tend to dip in that well since they believe prayer without medication is best, but they'll grumble and do it if required by law.

A Slate article on that subject: http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/medical_examiner/2015/02/religious_exemption_for_vaccines_christian_scientists_catholics_and_dutch.html

Is that new? I got all my vaccines.

Heck, I went to a catholic school where half the teachers were actual Franciscan monks who had actual fucking frocks they wore on Sundays, and the school had a vaccination program going where parents just had to sign a paper that the school gave to the kids and the school would take care of coordinating dates and having doctors come to the school during mandatory class hours to vaccinate everyone.

The idea that christians would be inherently against vaccines on grounds of religion is so damn weird to me.

This religion thing is a new development. Christians have never been against vaccinations.

Jenny McCarthy got upset her son had autism and blamed it on vaccines and a lot of other parents got pissy about it in some weird version of libertarianism and looked for any way they could to not have to have their kids required to be vaccinated, and lo and behold look religious exemptions let them do that.

So they said "yes my religion doesn't allow me to vaccinate my kids" which has never really ever been a thing. The only ones that might be able to claim that historically before the wacky fucks of the 90s is the JWs and Amish.

Basically fuck that dude that blamed thimerosal for autism and fuck McCarthy and her indigo child nonsense that spawned the modern anti-vaccine movement.

It's a pretty easy argument to make that the disgraced fraudster and liar Andrew Wakefield is responsible for many more deaths than the serial killer Harold Shipman.

• Options
    SadgasmSadgasm Deluded doodler A cold placeRegistered User regular
    V1m wrote: »
    Drascin wrote: »
    Mortious wrote: »
    Nobody wrote: »
    Calica wrote: »
    Exactly how many religions are against vaccinations? Most religions were founded and their holy books written well before vaccinations were a thing.

It's more that people who don't want vaccines for whatever reason can use religion as a flimsy excuse that no one can really question because it's a matter of faith.

Pretty much the same as every other time religion is used as an excuse for [X].

Some religions do preach against some medical procedures, like Jehovah's Witnesses against blood transfusion and Scientologists against mental healthcare. But I've never heard of a religion preaching against a vaccination. So in all seriousness, are there any?

The Dutch Reformed Church apparently, based on the belief that it interferes with the relationship with God.

Also Christian Scientists tend to dip in that well since they believe prayer without medication is best, but they'll grumble and do it if required by law.

A Slate article on that subject: http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/medical_examiner/2015/02/religious_exemption_for_vaccines_christian_scientists_catholics_and_dutch.html

Is that new? I got all my vaccines.

Heck, I went to a catholic school where half the teachers were actual Franciscan monks who had actual fucking frocks they wore on Sundays, and the school had a vaccination program going where parents just had to sign a paper that the school gave to the kids and the school would take care of coordinating dates and having doctors come to the school during mandatory class hours to vaccinate everyone.

The idea that christians would be inherently against vaccines on grounds of religion is so damn weird to me.

This religion thing is a new development. Christians have never been against vaccinations.

Jenny McCarthy got upset her son had autism and blamed it on vaccines and a lot of other parents got pissy about it in some weird version of libertarianism and looked for any way they could to not have to have their kids required to be vaccinated, and lo and behold look religious exemptions let them do that.

So they said "yes my religion doesn't allow me to vaccinate my kids" which has never really ever been a thing. The only ones that might be able to claim that historically before the wacky fucks of the 90s is the JWs and Amish.

Basically fuck that dude that blamed thimerosal for autism and fuck McCarthy and her indigo child nonsense that spawned the modern anti-vaccine movement.

It's a pretty easy argument to make that the disgraced fraudster and liar Andrew Wakefield is responsible for many more deaths than the serial killer Harold Shipman.

But of course it doesnt matter how much proof you show these people since they just assume anything that contradicts it is fake

• Options
    Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Demon Hunter for Hire Time RiftRegistered User regular
    Catholics generally have a pro-science bend to them that did, and still does support vaccines. They aren’t really part of the “Christian” monolith.

• Options
    Bliss 101Bliss 101 Registered User regular
    Paladin wrote: »
    It could be that your reaction to the flu shot would in some cases be as bad as the actual flu, if you were extra reactive to the formulation vs. caught a milder strain and got therapy immediately.

However, the shot isn't for you anyway, it's for the babies and the old people who you threaten if you don't

This is the point I've been trying to make for a while now
    shryke wrote: »
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    This is literally saying "we think religious beliefs are more important than human lives."

What it's really saying is "We don't want to have to obey laws written by filthy fucking degenerate liberals".

This is a line of attack by the Right, through the courts, against progressive wins in the legislature and the courts and that's it. Just like Hobby Lobby. The entire point is to circumvent loses in the culture war by getting conservative justices to say that you can ignore the law if you use religion as an excuse.

Sure, you couldn't stop Obamacare and you couldn't repeal Obamacare, but you can ignore parts of it you hate because the courts say it's ok to do so as long as you say it's about religion.

They are pushing cases that build and reinforce this framework all over the place. They don't give a shit about this specific issue, only the precedent it helps enshrine.

Yeah. In this particular case they're also terrified of the alternative precedent, and what it would mean when applied to other issues. If someone's health and/or survival trumps religious "freedom", then doctors might not be allowed to discriminate against LGBT+ patients, and we can't have that!

MSL59.jpg
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Catholics generally have a pro-science bend to them that did, and still does support vaccines. They aren’t really part of the “Christian” monolith.

In the US, the Catholic priests and bishops are trying very hard to change this, to the point of cracking down on nuns (the rest of the clergy mostly isn't on board with this new Evangelical Catholic thing) and publicly defying the words of the pope.

Catholicism started losing people in earnest as this movement spread, and even looking at the freefall collapse of other denominations (a recent survey put the median age that people lose faith in Evangelical churches at 12) they seem to be staying the course.

• Options
    NyysjanNyysjan FinlandRegistered User regular
    Kinda depends on Catholics, and the subject.
    Atleast there seems to be some confusion about condoms and aids.

• Options
    Blackhawk1313Blackhawk1313 Demon Hunter for Hire Time RiftRegistered User regular
    I’ll at least clarify that my dioscese hasn’t gone that way (yet).

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    Nyysjan wrote: »

Nah, that's not anti-science so much as it is adhering to a specific prohibition from the OT. The answer isn't "AIDS doesn't matter" so much as "Then don't have sex." It is not great social policy but not exactly saying the science is wrong so much as people are doing the wrong things.

Eh. They aren't that far from most of it. The anti-vaccination thing in Christianity is rather out there when it isn't a post hoc justification. It is roughly akin to the ultra-Calvinism of sects that handle poisonous snakes. Basically you get sick if God wants you to and trying to prevent that is thwarting God's will.

Cause there God can be thwarted by a needle and five minutes apparently.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options

Nah, that's not anti-science so much as it is adhering to a specific prohibition from the OT. The answer isn't "AIDS doesn't matter" so much as "Then don't have sex." It is not great social policy but not exactly saying the science is wrong so much as people are doing the wrong things.
    I meant the actual lies about how aids spread Catholic church spread in Africa.
    Not the "don't have sex" part.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Getting a bit afield from talking about vaccinations in here. Stay on topic.

• Options
    sorry

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    It is sad that anti vaxx used to be an idiots on both spectrums kind of deal but as of late like everything else its now become one side against another and what the fuck they are vaccines!

Like in my state they have to put up signs about the dangers of whooping cough and every doctor my son has seen is ready to bust out the science about giving my son a vaccine and I'm like "no need chum inject away, I'll be the bad guy to him and hold him down..."

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    I'm 100% certain there are anti vaccine nuts on both sides of political spectrum, one side is just more noticeable thanks to being boosted by right wing media and political establishment.

• Options
    edited March 2018
    I'm 100% certain there are anti vaccine nuts on both sides of political spectrum, one side is just more noticeable thanks to being boosted by right wing media and political establishment.

But see thats a major change from like hippie flower child on the left. I don't want this to turn into left vs right, just sad that's where we are at with established science for some reason? I can't recall why all of a sudden politicians including our current president have sided with anti vaxxers. I don't know why the sudden change from it being outside spectrum hard right/hard left, and now getting mainstream acceptance on the right.

My worry is that anti vaxxing is going mainstream as a political plank, that's fucking dangerous in a country with free movement. Will states have to put up borders between states if this continues?

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Edit missed mod post
    Preacher wrote: »

But see thats a major change from like hippie flower child on the left. I don't want this to turn into left vs right, just sad that's where we are at with established science for some reason? I can't recall why all of a sudden politicians including our current president have sided with anti vaxxers. I don't know why the sudden change from it being outside spectrum hard right/hard left, and now getting mainstream acceptance on the right.

My worry is that anti vaxxing is going mainstream as a political plank, that's fucking dangerous in a country with free movement. Will states have to put up borders between states if this continues?

Expand requirements of vaccine records. You can't stop people from entering, but you can get strict and take down bypasses to vaccine requirements on health care workers, students, etc. For extreme cases, there's been discussion of making it a negligent crime to spread a preventable disease. That... Would require some major balls to argue in court against the inevitable challenge.

Hevach on
  • Options
    CelestialBadgerCelestialBadger Registered User regular
    I think it's really interesting how anti-vaccine thought is switching from a left-wing to a right-wing issue. I think it's mostly down to the US political situation, where facts matter to the center and left, and only feelings and beliefs to the right. The left had a little war within itself about whether vaccines were OK and logic and rationality have largely won out. But then the right kinda picked up the torch, because they don't have so much of a tradition of holding beliefs up to the light and seeing whether they stand up to close observation. I can really see it from going from a left-leaning issue to a right-wing shibboleth in the next few years.

As for religion, there isn't the slightest theological justification for anti-vaccine thought in mainstream Christianity. Some of the odder sects don't believe in modern medicine, so they might be expected to object. But the people who are objecting are largely not Christian Scientists or Jehovahs Witnesses. The longer this goes on, the more likely Christians are to become convinced that mainstream Christianity has issues with vaccination. I expect a lot of post-facto justification and really stretched readings of scripture.

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    It's because being on the extreme ends of the political spectrum strongly correlates highly with a lack of compromise and moderation. You cannot expect a zealot to analyze their own beliefs because those positions are not grounded in anything other than strongly-held emotion. The only way you can appeal to people like that is by presenting them with something that evokes similarly-strong emotions, which may or may not work. The fact of the matter is that an idea or opinion is not valid simply because someone has it. It is important for spurious positions to remain at the fringe of mainstream society by forcing those ideas to undergo meaningful scrutiny in any substantive discussion.

Instead, we have this asinine idea that "all opinions are valid" and apply playground rules of "fairness" to public debate where positions are given equal weight simply by virtue of someone holding them. Which is devastating to social discourse over the long term, for a whole host of reasons, the consequences of which we are seeing today.

• Options
    DivideByZeroDivideByZero Social Justice Blackguard Registered User regular
    It's because anti-vax plays directly into the Big Gub'mint Takin' Mah Freedoms persecution complex that drives the right-wing opinion sphere. The government mandates vaccinations, the government is bad, ipso facto, vaccinations are bad and you can't make me prevent my kid from turning into Typhoid Mary.

tl;dr Libertarians don't understand collective action problems.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKERS
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Also, by the time you get to those extremes, they start to look similar, and eventually loop back around

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    What really baffles my braingoo is that in a country with stupidly high medical expenses, why wouldn't you basically inject a kid with every injectable vaccine you can find so you can avoid doctors visits for serious illnesses. Even if they do have autism, autism doesn't really need medical visits in the same way having polio does.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    What really baffles my braingoo is that in a country with stupidly high medical expenses, why wouldn't you basically inject a kid with every injectable vaccine you can find so you can avoid doctors visits for serious illnesses. Even if they do have autism, autism doesn't really need medical visits in the same way having polio does.

.... yes it does

just with different doctors

• Options
    edited March 2018
    Xaquin wrote: »

.... yes it does

Depends on severity. But not on nearly the same scale as some of the things we vaccinate for.

E: which is moot anyways, because vaccines don't cause autism.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Senna1Senna1 Registered User regular
    The evangelical objection to vaccines doesn't have anything to do with autism, AFAIK. It's more about their relatively recent awareness that several of the cell lines used to develop/discover/produce a few of the staple childhood vaccines came from a fetal source. This ties them to abortion - meaning it becomes a moral issue, and not one where logic or cost vs. benefit is likely to have any impact whatsoever.

• Options
    Honestly its kind of sad that anti vaxxers have basically said they'd rather their child be dead or crippled than autistic. Its the really ugly under current of "fuck you autistic people" of anti vaxx.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

Autism is extremely expensive to deal with. In a way, lack of healthcare justifies being crazy scared of autism (if vaccines actually had anything to do with it, which they don't). Families are often basically on their own to handle crippling physical therapy and developmental therapy skills. Plus, autism is correlated with a bunch of physical issues that also require regular doctors.

Mild autism, of course, doesn't require much medical help, but the scared parents aren't afraid of the sort of autism that makes you way too interested in Minecraft... they are scared of the type that means you need lifelong care.

• Options

Autism is extremely expensive to deal with. In a way, lack of healthcare justifies being crazy scared of autism (if vaccines actually had anything to do with it, which they don't). Families are often basically on their own to handle crippling physical therapy and developmental therapy skills. Plus, autism is correlated with a bunch of physical issues that also require regular doctors.

Mild autism, of course, doesn't require much medical help, but the scared parents aren't afraid of the sort of autism that makes you way too interested in Minecraft... they are scared of the type that means you need lifelong care.

It's a huge spectrum. Yes, the worst cases often need behavioral and other medical intervention, sure, and I never made a claim to the contrary and you're missing the forest for the trees if you think that's what I was saying.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

.... yes it does

Depends on severity. But not on nearly the same scale as some of the things we vaccinate for.

The results of a polio infection are unknown or at best an intellectual exercise. The results of autism are much more well-known. That's basically what is going on. Austism is a real thing they understand, polio is some weird abstract story their grandparents never talk about.

• Options

.... yes it does

The results of a polio infection are unknown or at best an intellectual exercise. The results of autism are much more well-known. That's basically what is going on. Austism is a real thing they understand, polio is some weird abstract story their grandparents never talk about.

This to me always seemed frightening:

0Bwo9Z3-wzxmgR3BqWEFEQ0V4dzQ.jpg?itok=nWd1L97E

Kids spending a significant chunk of time (I think at least a season?) in an iron lung to try and prevent the worst parts of polio. And then a whole ward of children just laying there in these things. Kind of frightening.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    My grandmother had polio

The vaccine is not optional in my household

Edit: she just celebrated her 90th birthday in january. but I'm pretty sure she would have preferred to be able to walk for the last 50 years

Xaquin on
  • Options
    tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited March 2018

.... yes it does

Paralysis is worse than Autism! Death is worse than Autism. Measles (the actual disease) can cause autism!

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    It's just unfortunate for those of us that couldn't get the vaccine for one reason or the other, or those of us that only built partial immunities (or no immunity).

I'm allergic to the pertussis vaccine, and it really bothers me how badly whooping cough is making a comeback.

• Options
    Kids don't actually get the polio vaccine these days, because polio has been wiped out everywhere except rural parts of certain Third World countries. Progress!

• Options
    Those of us born before the mid 90s still got it though.

• Options
    WindburnWindburn Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    Kids don't actually get the polio vaccine these days, because polio has been wiped out everywhere except rural parts of certain Third World countries. Progress!

Definitely not true. Kids are still recommended to get 3 doses of the inactivated poliovirus vaccine (IPV) starting at 2 months old.

Edit: added link to 2018 CDC immunization schedule

Windburn on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular

.... yes it does

This to me always seemed frightening:

0Bwo9Z3-wzxmgR3BqWEFEQ0V4dzQ.jpg?itok=nWd1L97E

Kids spending a significant chunk of time (I think at least a season?) in an iron lung to try and prevent the worst parts of polio. And then a whole ward of children just laying there in these things. Kind of frightening.

Nobody knows about that is my entire point dude. It's not part of the public consciousness. It's as foreign to the public as washing clothes on a washboard.

I suspect a huge part of why the anti-vax movement is becoming such a thing over the past decade or two is that we are far removed enough from things like "knowing whats polio actually looks like" that most parents don't know shit about it and don't know anyone in their family who does, so it loses it's power and what vaccines actually do becomes a lot less visceral.

• Options
    I assume that's largely due to the regional variances in our learning culture too? The polio vaccine was a huge part of history and science/biology courses up here. That image specifically (or one close to that) I remember from my history books.

• Options
    Windburn wrote: »

Definitely not true. Kids are still recommended to get 3 doses of the inactivated poliovirus vaccine (IPV) starting at 2 months old.

Edit: added link to 2018 CDC immunization schedule

Oh, sorry! Didn't know that.

• Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    tbloxham wrote: »

.... yes it does

Paralysis is worse than Autism! Death is worse than Autism. Measles (the actual disease) can cause autism!

My landlady has an autistic kid, and given how uncontrollable and violent he can become when denied the things he wants, on top of generally self-harming himself without understanding the consequences, I suspect she would prefer if he was actually paralyzed instead of autistic.

She basically is incapable of having *any* social life at all and is basically a 24/7 caretaker. Honestly, I don't think he'd survive long once she passes.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    When I was a kid, we'd rebel by listening to music our parents didn't like. Today:

NPR is a public radio broadcaster.

Good on him.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    It was endlessly amusing that on the first day of the worst snowfall in like 3 decades they held an anti vaxx rally at the capitol because endangering lives for their own agenda is their usual.

pleasepaypreacher.net